Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So Lou's power is to make people tell him their darkest desire right? Does he also have the power to make people confess on the spot in his presence? Both the professional hitperson and the crooked agent immediately folded and started confessing things and talking with the cops.

The hitlady was supposed to be notorious for lawyering up and being cautious around the police, she even keeps her lawyer's card in her back pocket. And you'd think an agent would know his way around the law better than to start talking about murdering someone in front of a room full of potential sponsors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
gently caress Fox forever and I wish good writers would start boycotting them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does anyone know of a time ever in the history of television when this stupid bullshit has worked, and network meddling in broadcast order has improved or saved a show? Like even once?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Holyshoot posted:

I'd like to say I watch a lot of tv and have never seen this done or recognized it. When they do it is it done in a way that isn't noticeable to the average viewer unless you know the original order?

The most notorious answer is Firefly, which lead to some real confusion when it aired out of order, as well as basically two pilots because Fox wouldn't air the first one for some reason.

The other thing that immediately comes to mind is Bob's Burgers, which had to air their Christmas episode over Thanksgiving last year because :fox: and there were references to a previous episode, which didn't air until mid January. It's also been the only episode of that show to air over the last 4 months, which has no doubt tanked interest. Good job Fox.

Those are just the two off the top of my head though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

KilGrey posted:

I think the worst example of this I can remember is Almost Human. An awesome show killed by episode reordering. The protagonist comes off totally bipolar. One episode he doesn't trust his new partner, then he does, then he doesn't again for two episodes, then he does etc.

That's amazing. Nominated for 4 Emmys, wins 2, cancelled after the first season.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was reasonably entertaining. The show doesn't stand out, but it's enough to make me want to keep watching. The PUA thing was amazing. I can see how the police procedural with a twist type of show would get tired really, really fast, and under no circumstances could I ever stand to watch more than one a week, but so far one a week has been okay. I wouldn't mind if they got away from the bog standard formula though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My guess for the twist bit will be that the lead cop will be the only person that can hurt him. It'd be a neat plotline to have him become human though. I can only imagine the sheer amount of trouble a Lucifer who can get drunk/high would get into.

I thought they basically gave away what the twist will be this episode. "No *~*HUMAN*~* can resist my charms."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Maybe it's because I have such a high opinion of PUA's like everyone else, but I just assumed the PUA guru dude was in on it somehow.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Kinda surprised we aren't getting people going crazy since they showed Maz's demon face in the last episode.

I was more annoyed that apparently her job of protected Lou involved watching his cop friend sleep in a chair and doing nothing else.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hope that eventually when he asks some random person what they really desire that they give him a weird, heinous answer and completely catch him off guard, instead of just constantly like 'I wanna be da best!' or 'cheeseburger' all the time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was a good episode. I hope this is an indication that they're getting away from the standard procedural format. I haven't read the comics and I'm not super familiar with old testament lore, did this version of Lucifer did the whole war on heaven thing? It seems like a kinda important point to leave out or never mention.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

evilmiera posted:

A question though, since I forgot to check as I was watching the episode: Did he bleed when punching the wall? Or hurt in any way? Because if he didn't, it'd prove he can only be hurt by the detective?

He did not bleed when punching the stone wall.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
He specifically said he had his sex demon cut them off when he left hell, which seems odd since losing wings is typically associated with the fall of an angel, and that means he was in hell for eons with this shiny, sexy things on his back. I'd like to see him with his feathery glowing white wings and scary demon face together. Maybe they look like leather scary wings when the rest of him looks like a demon though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hope god alternates between Alanis Morissette and Morgan Freeman between shots, and it's never acknowledged.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
As far as the therapist goes, "consulting" with another therapist doesn't seem like the worst thing, but her shrugging off the whole, 'yeah your walls are thin and I can potentially hear everything you discuss with your patients' thing is actually a huge deal.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't think coma cop is gonna be that pissed off. He knew she was watching right before the shooting started. I think he's gonna know a lot more about what really happened and they'll work together to figure out who it was. It was absolutely his partner

Amenadiel comes off as a whiny bitch to me. "You've had to put up with hell for eons against your wishes, but now I've had to do it for five whole years. This is super unfair and you need to take over again."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

zoux posted:

I did think it pretty weak that a little fiber optic light can mimic Holy Divinity well enough to dupe two Angels of the Lord.

Agreed, and it didn't even serve any narrative purpose either, things could have progressed the exact same if the wings were revealed and Luci was like newp, those are fakes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Also having never read the comic, that first frame with the angel in it makes me hate the poo poo out of it. That's the exact same sort of arms outstretched, let me talk down to you from my moral high ground, smug as hell pose used in every tumblr comic that gets linked on these forums, where the comic is just a lazy medium for someone's latest garbage think piece.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

FRINGE posted:

Specifically/especially "Gods lamplighter".

Lucifers task during Creation was to create/ignite the stars.

My brain processed that as Gods gaslighter, which is both hilarious and probably accurate in some way.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My first reaction was that he followed Chloe there because of the same GPS nonsense she used to find the place, saw the suspicious scene and started shooting, but he really doesn't seem like a shooty cop type, so who knows. I assume there's some "good" reason that we don't know about yet.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The problem is there's a million procedurals you can watch already. If you enjoy that stuff great, but the rest of us would like a more supernatural themed show starring the loving devil being a smarmy rear end mother fucker. Give us what we want with Lucifer, and you can continue to enjoy CSI: Ann Arbor or whatever.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Oh sorry, thought you were.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

odiv posted:

Maze continuing to work Lux is confusing after she and Lucifer are done, but I guess it's expected given how TV show casting works. Either that or they've been "done" many many times over the course of their relationship.

Is this show saying Catholics have it right?

Not a bit much?

edit: Oh, and I keep hoping rear end in a top hat cop will just tell Amenadiel to gently caress off. Is he even allowed to kill a guy?

He's been indirectly responsible for killing several humans already, even if he isn't actually pulling triggers (or swinging fiery swords), and historically angels murdering the poo poo out of humans has been sort of part of the job description.

So is resurrected cop going to have something to do with gluttony? It would be interesting to see him gain like 50 pounds steadily through the rest of the season since he can't seem to stop eating.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Lucifer prop department was able to come up with that case, and you can bet they had a smaller budget and less time than crazy antiquities scam artist man.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Why didn't Lucifer bring awesome preacher dude back to life the same way he did with Chloe?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What happened to Lou this week?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

computer parts posted:

To clarify, they're off this week but they have episodes every week after this one through the 25th.

Oh, that makes more sense.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You guys sure did a good job tearing apart that guy who said he wished weekly episodes aired every week, and that other guy who said oh come on. Way to point out how super angry and reactionary those two out of control assholes were.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The murder of the week part of the show is the lamest part, but if the only thing dumbest and less interesting than tv police procedurals is actual real procedurals. What you describe would be far worse television.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Didn't he try the 'tell me what you want' trick before she got shot, and was confused when she blew him off? It'll be interesting to see what happens with all of it, I hope they at least really progress that plotline this season, and don't try to drag it out for the life of the show.

Theory If Luci raising Chloe makes Luci vulnerable around Chloe, then maybe the way he gets rid of Amenadiel is to put him near glutton coma cop, whom Amenadiel recently raised.

I was kinda disappointed that glutton cop hadn't even considered that murder would eventually lead him back to hell until Luci pointed it out. You'd think after what he went through figuring out exactly what to avoid to not go back to hell would be a major priority for him. I also hope if he lasts a few seasons that he gains weight like hell, now what we know it's just a mental thing causing him to eat so drat much now.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gyges posted:

More importantly, if you basically have proof not only of the afterlife but that Christianity is the true path, you're actually good to go. Kill Luci, go hog wild on sinning for a little bit. Get it all out of your system. Then repent, accept Jesus, and be a good boy. Sweet, easy, trip to paradise right there.

Also I kept reading that as Gluten Coma Cop.

"Christianity" is pretty vague though. Generally these sort of stories involving christian mythology lean towards Catholicism. Wouldn't murder of Luci be a mortal sin, and afterwards he is hosed no matter how hard he repents, or does it only apply to killing humans? Catholics aren't generally the 'repent and accept Jesus and you're good' sort, but god drat if there aren't some loopholes. Can he buy an indulgence? Maybe he can pull that recently blessed church doorway nonsense from Dogma.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

SiKboy posted:

He said that was "dads rules", so I'm pretty sure Lucifer can kill people if he wants to. Its not like he feels a need to stick to his fathers rules.

Even if he's able to, I don't think he really wants to. He just wants to punish dudes who deserve it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I assumed Amenadiel had something to do with Malcolm's decision to proudly present Lucifer with a fresh kill like a god drat cat.

I'm really curious to see how that dude ended up behind Lucifer's bar with a bullet in his skull without him noticing. Obviously Amenadiel could slow time and plant the body there, but he's the only person literally incapable of shooting the guy. Plus wouldn't even a time slowed bullet make a lot of noise? Or is there something really obvious that I'm missing?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Speaking of Amenadiel, I actually really liked his house. An obviously poor attempt at simulating heaven with soft lights and billowing sheets hanging everywhere. Dude is homesick :3:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm leaning towards mum either being entirely made up, or maybe something based on another religion? In the story of course the other religion would be based on her. Shiva? Kali? I don't know enough to make any guesses based on anything but perceived gender. Maybe like some Aztec or Mayan goddess, that would be cool. Eve could be an outlier too. Is she officially in hell for fruit related sins? Either way, that was a fun finale. I like this cheesy show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Digital Jedi posted:

Loved the final episode.

I don't think they will do this but I hope they don't have their Mom be revealed as someone we already met. I keep thinking it's going to be the therapist.

Seconding whoever says they want Lucifer and his brother to stick together more. The fight scene was pretty awesome and they do have pretty good chemistry.

That would be really awkward. I think it's safe to bet that Lucifer's mum will not be revealed as a lady he's been banging all season. Did she have sex with Amenadiel too? I can't remember now.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Holy poo poo you're both pretty, and you both have edgy really cool opinions, and are obviously way too cool for mainstream media, now shut the gently caress up.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Is this show up for another season? It's pretty good.

Yeah, it got renewed thankfully.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Snak posted:

I'm pretty excited for this to come back. I'm apprehensive about Trisha Helfer. She was pretty decent in Battlestar Galactica, but everything ive seen her in since has been kind of just her doing the circuit of cashing on in nerd cred. Which is less a complaint about her as an actress and more about how she's often typecast and writers don't give her a lot to work with.

I enjoyed everyone one of the four words she uttered on Rick and Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was a fun episode. I unironically want every episode to end with Lucifer singing a random song.

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know if I dig Det Ex-Husband getting a complete undo of his entire subplot.

That gun he got out of the evidence, did it ever actually kill anyone? Obviously not Lucifer, but I don't remember now how that preacher dude died.

• Locked thread