Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Negging on PUA groups is trending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNULdtlhQw

Flayer posted:

I don't know if this comes across to American audiences but Lucifer comes off as incredibly camp to me as a Brit.
Oh it comes across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Caught one episode then decided to binge watch the series. Really enjoying it and while I understand the police procedural framework is necessary to justify Lucifer and Decker spending time together it is also the weakest and most unbelievable aspect of a show about the devil walking among us.
A homicide investigator doesn't just bounce from case to case each week! Even after a confession Decker would have to spend weeks or months doing paperwork, putting together the crime scene evidence, witness testimony, preparing for and testifying in court.

Is there a theme to all the murders? Like, have they been running through the 7 Deadly Sins or violations of the 10 Commandments?

Getting that out of the way, this show is a lot of fun. The therapist is a great character, and seems to have become Ground Zero for all the otherworldly beings to confide in with their shared delusions. it would be nice to get a glimpse into her life outside the office.

Good news that the series has been renewed and hoping more of Lucifer's friends and enemies start showing up. And it would be interesting to see how people of other religions see Lucifer. Like, would a Hindu see or relate to him as a rakshasa?

toe knee hand posted:

A childhood friend of mine was pole dancing in the opening scene of the latest episode. So cool. I'm from Vancouver which has a big film industry so people and places I know are on TV fairly often, but it's kind of rare that they're in shows that I actually like!

What tipped me off to the location was a car chase scene and a second or two where they drove past a Cob's Bakery . "Hey wait that's gotta be :canada: !"

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 11, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Has that ever happened in any TV show ever?

Making A Murderer. OJ vs The People.

Yes I know a procedural isn't going to follow 1 case all the way through, but at the same time there's no real reason to have to wrap up a homicide each 47 minute episode. Like, an investigation could be drawn out for a few eps, half season or whatever and get deeper into the case while still moving Lucifer's story arc forward.
As others have said it's very cookie-cutter and cliche to have the suspects/perps run the usual gimmick gamut for a season: record producer, youth centre worker, antique/ rare art dealer, actress/model, sports star, chef, self-help guru etc.
Have we had The Professional Gambler episode yet?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 11, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks, at least one person found those examples amusing.

I guess my problem is that I binge-watched all the episdoes on the weekend so the artifice of solving one crime and then getting assigned to another one immediately after without even one day between cases to type up a report really stood out.
Also noticed how Decker and Luci stomp through crime scenes and handle evidence without gloves and basically ignore all standard procedures.

Tiggum posted:

That sounds terrible.

I don't know how closely you are watching this show but there is an overarching unsolved crime being investigated that's being very slowly revealed and might not even be resolved or concluded in Season 1. Sorry you think that sounds terrible but it's important to Decker's character arc.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Did not see that coming.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Could Chloe be Lucifer's half-sister or something like that?! Cousins? (Maybe that's why he didn't have sex with her when the opportunity was there?)

"The Devil does indeed wear Prada" - Saint Lucifer. :devil:

Also funny was that Amenadiel won't take a drink of wine - but will get to 'know' Maze in the Biblical sense.

SiKboy posted:

Then what in the world are you bitching about?

Okay I'm only going to explain this once more, and then restrict my comments to enjoyment of the series and storylines.

In this episode, the philanthropist's wife publicly 'confessed' . But she had not been read her rights so the confession would not be admissible in court. She would need to be arrested, offered a lawyer, statement taken, Decker would have to gather evidence, get witness statements, wait for the coroner's report, type up all the notes, etc etc. She'd work on this case for weeks.
However tomorrow (ie next episode) this will all be forgotten and Chloe will be assigned a new homicide case. Because Lucifer. Or because "police procedural". This 'murderer of the week' angle is the weakest, or thinnest, part of the show for me.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Titan posted:

bio347 posted:

As opposed to the "nephilim in some manner" theory, it could be possible that whatever he did to save her in that situation is the root cause.

That's a solid theory. When he saved her maybe he had to give her some of his "Grace" or Angelic Light. Whatever it is that makes him an Angel, and it created a sort of bond between them. Luci is vulnerable around her and Chloe has said that she feels vulnerable around him as well.

I read a theory or fanfiction that Chloe is a descendant of Eve, which is interesting from a Bible story or plot perspective but leaves a lot of questions hanging. The idea that Lucifer's saving of Chloe or mercy shown towards her is what gave her some 'power' over him is neater.

And now Luci has arguably saved Malcolm.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 13, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

AbsolutelySane posted:

I kind of like the idea that God is just screwing with Lucifer in some Rube Goldberg attempt to teach him a lesson, or for a laugh, or both.

I really like the theme or trope that the longer they are on Earth, the more human they become. It's been done with aliens (both invaders and superheroes) many times and is interesting to see in this scriptural context.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"He's the best Lucifer we've had in years!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"Detective do you mind if I play the me's advocate?" :devil:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DoggPickle posted:

I was kind of torn too, about them actually showing Lucifer's face, like my imagination was better.. He's technically an Angel, so it could have been something too wonderful to look upon, or something completely devilish and terrifying, and at first glance I just thought it looked like "weird burned guy", but I feel like it looked better the second time. I dunno. Maybe a flash to just HER face and her reaction alone would have been better, but who cares - because I love this show way more than I should.

Dan got some actual character development this week and now I have sympathy for him. He's a good actor in his own right, who hasn't gotten much to do except be made fun of.

My favorite dork part though, was Trixie's costume. The plastic green margarita glasses as antennae were hilarious! I should go back and see what other dorky stuff Maz made into that costume, but I was too interested in seeing Mazikeen's face as well.

Also part of Trixie's costume: Mardi Gras necklaces.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Interesting to learn from this show that God likes his woman to be in the upper right corner of the Hot x Crazy matrix.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
THE CLASH out of nowhere. What a show.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Is it really simply that Lucifer is in love? That's why his powers fade when he's near Chloe?! That's kind of underwhelming.
I hope there's more to it, like she embodies the soul of his long-forgotten sister (or step-sister) who everyone believes is gone.

And sure Dan has one on Luci. But he has a Bigger problem now, and I quote:

quote:

Deuteronomy 4:23-24
"So watch yourselves, that you do not forget the covenant of the LORD your God which He made with you, and make for yourselves a graven image in the form of anything against which the LORD your God has commanded you. "For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Psalm 79:5
How long, O LORD? Will You be angry forever? Will Your jealousy burn like fire?

God gets pyromanically jealous over statues, He probably won't be too happy when He realizes His wife, er ex-wife is shtupping Chloe's ex-husband.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 22, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Great way to end a scene.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Can you guys explain what a scion is and why Chloe may be one for those of us that don't read any of the comics or the Bible?

I played A LOT of Battlezone II, often as the alien race who were called Scion.

So that's what it means to me.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
He's not going anywhere.
Cain was condemned to walk the earth so the spaceship would explode and a chunk of him would regenerate.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Best line was Dr. Linda asking Lucifer "What do you truly desire?"

grack posted:

Where in the hell are they going with the Cain/Chloe storyline?

I thought when Pierce aka Cain lost his mark (and therefore the curse) he'd start aging really fast.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

I've mentioned it before but the biggest problem with the show is that him actually being the Devil doesn't really bring anything to the table. It could easily just be a show about a nightclub owner in LA who decides to help solve crime and it would play out mostly exactly the same.

The thing about the show is that it has this big supernatural underpinning but nothing ever comes of it. There are angels and demons and magical artifacts and Cain running around throughout all of human history being unkillable but they spend all their time solving mundane crimes. Like the premise of the show should have been Lucifer helping them solve weird cases that turn out to be supernatural related.

It's not nearly as serious as you want it to be. It's closer to the silliness of Sabrina The Teenage Witch than to shows like Penny Dreadful, Hellblazer or Grimm.
I agree with you, there is a lot more that could be done with the premise than having Lucifer help solve a random murder (motivated by greed or jealousy or revenge or whatever) of the week.

grack posted:

What in the ever-living gently caress is going on this season.
Up here in Canada we get Monday's show on Sunday and after this weeks' episode I have the same question.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I didn't even realize this was a possibility until I read the news. There are a lot of fans and a lot of posts on social media so it was a shocker.

frgildan posted:

I'd love for them to figure out a way post cancelation of getting Lucifer on Legends of Tommorow. Kind of like Constantine he would be a great fit.

Lucifer's cancellation is cause for sorrow
But I'd rather see Etrigan on Legends of Tomorrow.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

dex_sda posted:

And now I actually want to see what happens next. Motherfuckers.

Amen, we need to see Amenadiel returning to the Silver City!

Elentor posted:

Well that was quite the cliffhanger.

When Lucifer stood up at the end we should have got The Genius type revelation with Extreme Ways playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwspIkp2cBg

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

I read these on my phone so I do not have the links but here is the gist.

The actress who plays Chloe was asked a panel how she thinks Chloe would handle finding out that Lucifer is actually the Devil. She said that Chloe would accept it, realizing that she had feelings for this person and that she'd already seen who he is by his actions.
I liked that.

The showrunners on the other hand said that season 4 would be all about Chloe trying to figure out how to deal with the fact that she loves the Devil.

The showrunners do not know what we, the people who like the show, like about the show. I'm overjoyed that they finally got this poo poo out of the way. It should have happened in S1. I hated the love triangle and I hated the numerous cock blocks where Chloe almost found out but didn't. Lucifer popped his wings for Charlotte but couldn't do that for Chloe on any of the 800 chances he had? It was loving stupid.

I feel like, if we got S4, it would be more of the crap we hated in S3 and not good stories, not leaning into the supernatural because now Chloe is in the know, not addressing all those other souls who escaped Hell, not addressing the fact that Hell has been unguarded for three years, not dwelling on Maze's actually-quite-normal desire to go home.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Vital lessons that any WB viewer would have known, such as, don't give Tom Welling work.
Not so much to defend the actor, the writers really messed up. The Biblical Cain who was cursed to walk the Earth forever, should have been a fascinating and strong character who could have reeled off examples and references from the huge swath of human history he's witnessed.

And I agree with Alpha Null and The Lord Bude, S4 should lean into exploring the supernatural aspects and lower the reliance on featuring a banal Murder of the Week procedural.

• Locked thread