Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm uhhhh binge watching this terrible show that may actually be very good that I unironically love.

I was sold when they did a stupid "speak of the devil" joke in the third episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Woo-hoo!!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As far as I see it, it starts off as this goofy procedural with a bunch of devil jokes which is ironically kinda fun and then they start adding more and more sub plots one by one until eventually there are so many pieces in play that all pay off really well by the end of the first season that it kinda stealthily transforms into a really good show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah another great kinda thing about the show is they just flip the script on the stupid genre conventions and make him be like the buddy straight away so there is no "lag" in getting the show rolling. That and I really adore the routine of him claiming to be the devil and nobody believing it, instead of some sort of secret identity.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Except for the Satanists who thought he would be blonde.

Really dumb question, but that's a wink wink comic book thing right?

Also that episode bugged the poo poo outta me because I couldn't work out who the cult leader was until I googled it and it was one of the members of band of brothers.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Looks like they are moving the filming actually to Los Angeles for season 3.

Huh.

Apparently the way they do it now is they make something like 3 trips a year, and film like 9 episodes worth of exteriors and location shots. So you can tell that they're actually on the beach in LA, but then they're back in a Canadian Steel Mill/Sound-stage for the rest.

Maybe they just figured it was too much of a pain to write so far in advance and fly down for a couple of days?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I burned out on this show half way through s2 but binged back up.

God this show is so good.

Edit: the moment when the show works out its supporting cast is really strong and givs them more screen time is when it really kicks up a notch.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 19, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"I heard him... on the phone... pointing angrily... it sounded like he was dying... or melting..."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They're really using the hell outta the location now.

Also, the new sets look nice. But it's super uncanny valley the way they're the same but like, ~slightly~ different.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The bit with the gun in the puppet was genius.

Gonz posted:

Aimee Garcia’s “J’accuse! J’ACCUSE!” out of nowhere was wonderful.

While wearing the t-shirt as well. Killed me as well.

edit: I know standard tv show writing process is "team up character b with character c" but drat, that was a lame b plot this episode. But somehow the ep was still fun.

edit 2: "Because atoms are tiny, not that it explodes" is another great joke too.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 10, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

-Blackadder- posted:

Perhaps I should have used BTK instead. I guess I was just saying that the Devil is technically a vicious torturing rapist and any attempt to whitewash his actions to make his character more sympathetic and palatable is objectively laughable. There's a standard narative for this; that he's somehow misunderstood, reluctant, heavy-hearted, and not really responsible for his actions or the actions of those under his command.

Next up, "Lovable rascal and misunderstood Nazi War Crimminal solves crimes with cop side-kick, Fridays on USA."

Really putting that home school education to work, huh?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thats one of the changes between season 1 and 2 I liked, I'm pretty sure in season 1 guys being attracted to him was played as a gag, but then in season 2 they worked out that doesn't make sense, so they portray him as bisexual.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is this just an x-filsian "everything sucks when not made in Canada" problem?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda dropped off this show but apparently the season got good again so i'm catching back up. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Digital Jedi posted:

God was voiced by Neil Gaiman so it fits perfectly for the show.

gently caress me that owns so loving hard.

Goddamn it's sad this show is probably gonna die but what ever. We spent most of this season complaining it wasn't that good, and then it got cancelled so the networks sure showed us.

• Locked thread