Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The dynamic this episode was really bad, but at the end it looks like they're going another direction with it? Hopefully.
What is gonna happen: Lucifer tries to make Decker jealous by dating Dan.
What should happen: The above, but Lucifer somehow gets into a confrontation with Cain. The confrontation ends in violence that accidentally kills Cain for real, while Lucifer manifests entirely as the Devil - with Chloe there to see it - setting up a scenario where Chloe believes Lucifer is the Devil, but also that he just murdered her boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Amenadiel telling Charlotte the "truth" is dumb and stupid, but Amenadiel is never as smart as he thinks he is.
At least him trying to connect with Charlotte as a way of coping with the loss of his mother makes sense for the character (unlike what's going on with a certain other character). Watch him try to transfer the mark of Cain to Charlotte so he can make her his forever mom.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's slowly gotten better as a character and I don't know if it's the actor loosening up a little or the writing or both
I think the fact that his character started off extremely guarded made it hard to relate to him as a viewer, and gave the actor very little acting to do. In some ways that was probably necessary to make the "Did Lucifer just kill Pierce??" scene work, but it did mean his character wasn't gonna be particularly interesting until that point either.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

I thought when Pierce aka Cain lost his mark (and therefore the curse) he'd start aging really fast.
He still could, just not holy grail fast. Not that I expect this is where they're going with it, but it'd certainly be a way to introduce Chloe to the divine.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

dammit. I'd have been thrilled for an 11 episode season 4
I really think they could tell a better story.
Also,
https://twitter.com/Henderson_Joe/status/995030502661808129
I don't get this line of thinking. Sure, delayed gratification can work, but putting a show on a holding pattern for an entire season and then promising that the next season will be awesome seems like the perfect way to not get to make that season. loving hell, just escalate poo poo, how hard can it be.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Great episode, though it's probably also partly the reason why the season was otherwise so dull - I figure they had written (at least the basic idea of) this episode first, then written the rest of the season to match the plot points touched upon in the finale, without realizing that those plot points couldn't carry the season on their own.

They handled Chloe's realization pretty well, at least she accepted that Lucifer had been telling her the truth all along the moment there was some undeniable circumstantial evidence - with her seeing his devil face just being formality. I mean, given how they've handled her introduction to the divine so far, you'd be halfway afraid she'd just ignore suddenly being on top of a skyscraper, be surprised by Lucifer's devil face, and then the next season try to deny it as her seeing things due to extreme stress. It's certainly ending the show on a high note, after the rest of the season had been a bit of a wet fart.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

atomicgeek posted:

Speaking of things I was frustrated about, I think the avclub's reviewer LaToya Ferguson sums it up pretty well but to paraphrase, it's that the finale really tied together the whole Sinnerman mystique into the person of Pierce really well in a way they didn't do throughout the season. You see that the bland, affable cop guy, the petulant ancient murderer, and the whispered-of mob boss are all the same person in a way that ties it all up together both plotwise and emotionally---which they loving needed to do half a season ago. So frustrating, especially now that this is the show's sendoff.
I had literally forgotten all about the mob boss favor-granting angle.

atomicgeek posted:

I'm not even mad about it taking this long for Chloe to get in on it; it's just the whole Cain thing spun its wheels so long when, say, all along they could have showed him operating his dirty empire or something for dramatic kicks while spinning out the tedious Chloe/Cain/Lucifer triangle instead of dropping that entire thread for most of the season.
Yeah, Cain could have been a pretty good foil to Lucifer really, since the two touch upon a lot of the same stuff but in very different ways. Lucifer has an openly relaxed relationship with the law, is completely honest but comes off as dishonest because his truth is kinda crazy, and his favors seem relatively moral. Meanwhile, Pierce literally presents himself as a representative of the law, cloaks his dishonesty in down to earth practicality, and grants favors to the exact kind of people Lucifer would rather punish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

S4 main plot: "Someone took my devil dick!!!"

• Locked thread