Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I really, really wanted them to flap majestically in this scene, even if it would screw with the rest of the narrative vis a vis his powers, because drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gonz posted:

"You're supposed to be blonde."

"Yeah, I get that a lot."

Came here to post this, was beaten like a prideful angel

The turn at the very end of the episode kinda threw my personal speculation off, I was hoping the season finale would happen in Hell, but I guess mister Morningstar will have to deal with Earthly justice instead?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

computer parts posted:

I really like the idea of Lucifer being a punisher of evil, not evil himself. I don't think I've seen that interpretation before.

Also, he really emphasizes the rebellious streak. Someone like (eg) Supernatural's Lucifer seems pretty resigned to the Apocalypse narrative, and his rebellion is in a very orderly way ("there must be a villain").

In the comic books Lucifer creates a whole new cosmos with a new Earth and new Adam and Eve figures, and tells them that they're free to do as they will so long as they never worship anyone, not even the Creator. The results are not great, but Lucifer was pleased that at least some could accept freedom as he sees it. It seems like an exploration of the concept of will not all that divorced from the futurists a century ago.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

computer parts posted:

From what it sounds like, the Rebellion in this show is more like the Islamic concept of the Devil - Lucifer disobeys, and God says "fine, we'll deal with you later but for now I need someone to tempt* and punish the wicked, so you get that job".

*I guess I figured out the major difference - this Lucifer doesn't really do temptation. Humanity fucks up all the time, and maybe Lucifer encourages it with his deals, but he doesn't outright say "sell your soul to me". It's a very interesting take on the character.

Again, in the comic, but it's kind of a Big Deal that Lucifer always keeps to his word. So deal with him as you best think suits you. And he probably thinks better than you, so good luck!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fantastic episode! Also thought Lucifer would reply "everyone" at the end (and geez oh geez what a crappy set they had for what's apparently a super-important bit of Hell! Loved the Auschwitz reference tho) too, but if it turns out to be Lilith, ehh.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That All Along the Watchtower thing was the most obnoxious troll :haw:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Astrofig posted:

I love how excited Lucifer always gets at discovering cocaine.

Similarly, "mum"'s first sip of whiskey seemed to delight her in all the right places. This season is starting out fantastic.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This episode was hilarious :haw: Awesome word-play.

That said, what the Devil is Mum plotting? :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

Another war on Heaven.

Would make sense, I suppose. And would...Kinda fit with the grander arc in the comics, I guess?

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 15, 2016

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I feel like Bianca should have been a character who was built up before this episode. Just having Chloe say "this is a really bad person we've been trying to make a case against for ages" feels like the writers skipping a few chapters.

While definitely a fair criticism, the series overall hasn't really bothered that much with the police procedural aspect as anything more than a vehicle for the zany Lucy shenanigans. Some of the earlier cases haven't really made much sense either.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Throwing the bits of the sword in with the portal to Mom's Universe: a way of getting rid of them, or setting up the potential for Mom's eventual return when she cuts another hole using it?

Didn't he keep Amenadiel's piece?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I felt this was a bit of a weak episode plot-wise :( The attempts at being all twisty-turny with the new chief ended up being lame and kinda confused, but I guess he's in cahoots with Lucy now so yay? And "keep this a secret from Chloe" is going to be played for yet another ooh tension between Lucy and Chloe, what hilarious misunderstandings will this generate, isn't it. When they're simultaneously teasing us with the seemingly eternal will they won't they/will Lucy tell her. Counter-point, the doctor-Amy-subplot was pretty good, in my opinion. (Spoilers about specific events, kinda)

However, I loved the dialogue and gags, this show is amazing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

OMG One of the folders in the final scene was labled Gaudium :neckbeard: (Final scene spoiler!!!!)

Liked this episode a lot more than the previous :)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FRINGE posted:

Yeah but will they make another basic human or pull out some full-time CGI?

Future character theorycrafting I'm sure it'll be a human (hopefully not in some awful latex mask), I'm just hoping they retain the basic gist of the character, he's adorable in the comics :D

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I liked this episode, so it's definitely getting cancelled now, right? :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dongattack posted:

"And the best part? The doors aren't even locked, you can leave any time you want." Doors clearly locked with CHAINS and people desperately banging on them to get out in last shot :v:

Lady in her underwear tied up to a bed, "you don't mind waiting, do you darling?" "Not at all", and then asks the by-stander to put her gag back in her mouth.

People who seek to be tormented for their sins consign themselves to Hell, subconsciously never believing they deserve to escape have chains manifest outside the "doors" to their torture chambers in a magical realm.

:shrug:

Lucifer doesn't lie.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Be that as it may (that one dude in his torment box imagined people turning on him which didn't happen in reality, IIRC?), Lucy himself left his own torture room when he was talked into thinking he didn't really deserve to be there.

Are we over-thinking this now :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I originally used spoilers because it was comics stuff, so I dunno how to proceed here by thread rules, but uh I guess everything is spoilers now:

Why is Reese in Hell to begin with if he didn't get that woman killed? That doesn't happen without Lucifer's involvement (unless there's some obvious way that I'm missing because I can't remember previous episodes?), so what narrative purpose does it serve that only some segments with Lucy are genuine and others fake?

My point is that Lucy saying people imprison themselves in Hell "voluntarily" in the sense that they can leave is true, but they don't leave due to their guilt/sin/whatever, this is rather the point made in the comics as well (that dude from the Balkans who had been tortured for millennia and no one remembered anymore, etc.).

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Azhais posted:

iirc it was ad libbed

Whether it is or not, Lucifer visibly going "oh this is happening now, we're doing this, okay, cool" and leaning back is fantastic :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

sassassin posted:

She's the quirky pixie dream technician everyone loves. Isn't she pretty, isn't she wonderful etc. etc.

Like Dan everything potentially interesting about her has no narrative significance or conflict with the main cast. She's a straightforward helper monkey with entirely superficial characterisation.

Yes, but

• Locked thread