Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

WarLocke posted:

So am I alone in thinking that that one quick scene with Maz pulling out a Luci-feather from her little jewel box might imply that she had something to do with the wings being stolen in the first place?

While Maz probably helped Amenadiel with his plan to trick Lucifer into going back to hell, that wasn't the implication of the feather.

While Lucifer is playing piano and taking shots, she comes in and tells him that she cleaned up his mess on the beach. Then says she's going off to get ice. When the camera then focuses on her having a small feather, the implication is that while Lucifer did burn his wings there was at least one feather left that didn't burn. Maz is keeping it as part of her role as sworn protector of Lucifer. As to why she would go to clean up the beach, they made a pretty big deal out of humanity getting a piece of the divine, and angel wing ashes are probably still pretty divine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

But he came up through a secret passageway and shot them, he knew the gym pretty well.

Unless that was how dirty cop or the other guy got there and Dan just used it as an exit.

The only valid reasons I can think of for Dan to shoot dirty cop are that Dan was the one who set up the meet to buy info on the dirty cop, or Dan was there for some other reason and saw dirty cop look over toward Chloe.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

They're probably going to save that reveal for when the dirty cop tries to kill him.

It's either that or he jumps in the way of a bullet heading toward Decker. Considering who the planned shooter is, it's probably going to be both at a once.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm secretly hoping Father Frank comes back as a ghostly intermediary between Lucifer and a non Amendadiel faction in heaven. Or just on a mission from god, who he's still never talked to but he knows there's got to be a reason his and Lucifer's paths crossed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, during that scene I was thinking "Wait, you're letting him put keep his hands in front of him? That's really dumb and not how you're supposed to do it." and then turns out yep, it was really dumb. Dan is bad at his job.

Is Dan now being held captive by resurrection cop? Because that doesn't seem like a good play by resurrection cop. I thought he was maybe loving over Dan and Chloe to follow her to Lucifer. Apparently he was just being a giant douche. Dude's definitely going back to hell for fake texting on the guy he just choked out's phone. God is totally against playing on other people's phones.

The Lord Bude posted:

So did Lucifer get hurt by the fire because he was carrying Chloe?

It has to have something to do with Chloe. Otherwise he'd be way more burned casually carrying her through a near fully engulfed restaurant blaze. Right forearm should probably have been among the least burned parts after his fire walk.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

odiv posted:

His wings also aren't totally gone because he burned the replicas.

Where'd Maze get the feather then?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think my favorite part of this episode was the guy completely believing Lucifer about what the coin was, no questions asked.

The dude puts Tabasco on Korean food, you can't expect logical thought from the insane.

Binary Logic posted:

In this episode, the philanthropist's wife publicly 'confessed' . But she had not been read her rights so the confession would not be admissible in court.

She confessed on stage in a crowded room after beings asked what she wanted. Her confession would most certainly be admissible. The police and prosecution are 100% not penalized for you yelling out how you killed someone just by their showing up and saying "gotcha" without doing anything else. Now if Decker arrested her without mentioning her rights and then while in custody she made a confession, that would have some issues with being admitted.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Astrofig posted:

I thought the whole 'inadmissible if they don't read you your rights' thing was a myth----isn't that only if they're going to question you?

More or less, after you're arrested and are being questioned you have to be made aware of your rights. However if you just start saying/yelling poo poo at the cops while they're talking to you on the street or in their squad car while in transit, well that's on you being a dummy. Not being read your rights just makes things harder for the DA, it's not a magic spell that the lack of utterance means your attorney gets to go legally hog wild and you get to skip on home.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It is interesting that the only Devil power he seems to lose in Decker's presence is immortality. Still can do the demon face, force desire from people other than Chloe, make everyone attracted to men horny, and apparently has super strength.

Actually, we know that at least at first he was still immortal, since the record producer shot him a few times as Chloe was bleeding out. The only thing that never worked around her was the whole hypnotic demand of what she desired.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

counterfeitsaint posted:

Didn't he try the 'tell me what you want' trick before she got shot, and was confused when she blew him off? It'll be interesting to see what happens with all of it, I hope they at least really progress that plotline this season, and don't try to drag it out for the life of the show.

Theory If Luci raising Chloe makes Luci vulnerable around Chloe, then maybe the way he gets rid of Amenadiel is to put him near glutton coma cop, whom Amenadiel recently raised.

I was kinda disappointed that glutton cop hadn't even considered that murder would eventually lead him back to hell until Luci pointed it out. You'd think after what he went through figuring out exactly what to avoid to not go back to hell would be a major priority for him. I also hope if he lasts a few seasons that he gains weight like hell, now what we know it's just a mental thing causing him to eat so drat much now.

More importantly, if you basically have proof not only of the afterlife but that Christianity is the true path, you're actually good to go. Kill Luci, go hog wild on sinning for a little bit. Get it all out of your system. Then repent, accept Jesus, and be a good boy. Sweet, easy, trip to paradise right there.

Also I kept reading that as Gluten Coma Cop.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

counterfeitsaint posted:

"Christianity" is pretty vague though. Generally these sort of stories involving christian mythology lean towards Catholicism. Wouldn't murder of Luci be a mortal sin, and afterwards he is hosed no matter how hard he repents, or does it only apply to killing humans? Catholics aren't generally the 'repent and accept Jesus and you're good' sort, but god drat if there aren't some loopholes. Can he buy an indulgence? Maybe he can pull that recently blessed church doorway nonsense from Dogma.

Mortal sins are bad, but you can still confess to a priest and be forgiven. Obviously dude is going to need to be super religious, but then he's actually been to hell so that shouldn't be an issue. Mortal Sins' ticket to hell is entirely refundable, as with all sins. The only unforgivable sin is rejecting Christ and never repenting.

A combination of baptism and confession can cure the spiritual wounds from any sin.

Admittedly, killing a "defenseless" Satan isn't really a theological minefield previously trodden, so maybe there are 2 unforgivable sins.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alchenar posted:

Confession isn't a magic ticket, you have to genuinely repent and be sorry and try to make amends etc etc. It doubly doesn't count if you commit sins with the intention of just going to confession later and washing it all away.

Having been in hell, I'm pretty sure he'll be genuinely contrite. I'm not suggesting he just enter into a constant cycle of sinning an confession, rather that he get any lingering sin desires out of the way and then devote himself to not going to Hell. Angels don't get to over rule Jesus on whether or not you're on the guest list.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You know, in all this talk of lying devil's, the nature of divine forgiveness, and the poor forethought of detective coma we've missed the biggest hole in his deal.

How the gently caress is he going to take a physical coin to Hell? Luci brought it up with his physical angel hands. How's detective gluttony planning on bringing down?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, I was wondering what good the coin would do if he dies. Great, he comes back from hell, but what does that do for him? Does he become immortal?

Judging by Amenadiel's reaction to the coin, it's not going to help Malcolm out at all. He was confused by the coin and then pissed that Malcolm knows angels can't kill mortals.

Also it's entirely reasonable that a few relativistic years in hell would drive you cuckoo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

In the book of Enoch, for example, the fallen are cast out for sharing knowledge with humans. Benevolent sharing. They felt that it was wrong to deny knowledge of writing and fire and technology from humans, and God was like "NO YOU FUCKS, THAT WAS NOT FOR THEM!

I wonder, are the ruling deities in all the pantheons such absolute cocks about fire? Humans getting fire seems to fairly frequently be the result of someone disobeying the divine order.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

It makes sense from an evolution of mythology perspective. Fire is basically magic to primitive humans, so it makes sense that their mythology would explain its origins as supernatural/divine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Fire is kind of the first step to technology, which would allow mankind to grow to a point where we could be possibly overthrow gods.

Absolutely, but do any of the mythologies have man come by it "honestly" via approved gifting from the pantheon?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Looks like ol' Ben Franklin was wrong then. Beer is not proof that god loves us an wants us to be happy. That rear end in a top hat didn't even want us to have beer in the first place.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

Haha.

But really, 99% of the mythology about Lucifer and the fall is also not canon, so...

Still more canon than any depiction of Hell itself since the year 5 C.E.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

But it is kind of funny that Amenadiel, some lesser angel that no one has ever heard of, is the only one who gives a poo poo about Lucifer misbehaving.

While there isn't yet enough to really go on in the show, it seems like the angels are a real do what they're told bunch. Amenadiel was ordered to go key an eye on hell and try and get Lucifer back in it. So Gabriel doesn't really care because he's got his own thing god told him to do. Now if Gabriel's task is made complicated by Lucifer not being in hell, then he'll probably want to say something.

It's probably going to come down to how god runs heaven in this imagining. If he's an absentee deity or if he's still there giving orders that only he understands.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zebulon posted:

They really do. Especially those moments where they just plain start having fun and laugh while in the middle of beating the poo poo out of some dudes. The huddle right before wading into the drug dealer's thugs was priceless.

Personally my favorite was the funeral scene.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wikipedia tells me that Asherah was the consort of the head of the Canaanite pantheon, El, who more or less was rolled up into the Israelite deity Yahweh.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I thought they said that Maze had been following Luci and been close with him since before The Fall.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder what the range is on Dekker's weakening of Lucifer. She seemed a decent distance away when Malcolm gut shot the devil.

Also Dan has got to believe pretty soon. He saw Lucifer wake up from being murdered and saw the disappearing act. Dekker at least has having shot Lucifer going for her disbelief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tarlibone posted:

Of course I have. But the answer to a direct question like "what if you could prove definitively that there really is a God and a Jesus and a Devil and all that?" is almost always "yes." If you ask about faith and proof, you get the "faith is the proof of things not seen" routine. When you directly ask about whether or not you'd actually prove God's existence if you could by some tangible means--something that scientists would have to acknowledge, for example--then the answer I usually hear is yes. Hell, in my youth, I've heard more preachers and Christian debaters actually claim that they can prove, definitively, that God is real.

Of course, much of their proof relies on the Bible, stories from the Bible, or things they consider to be miracles... but they offer this as concrete proof that only a contrarian could possibly deny.

Chloe is already our Doubting Thomas.

CSI's position is perfectly fine. The relationship between evidence and faith is foundational in Christianity and, while not super common today, rejecting evidence in favor of faith is an old theological thought. Her aunt being a nun helps that along since she can get a "wacky" perspective tying into older versions of the faith that are uncommon today.

• Locked thread