Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

i hope my friend dahmer has a happy ending
Firstly I wish to discuss the Definition of Music; and argue that Singing can not be considered True Music (Fundamental Music). Music is defined as a melody performed in precise and beautiful Harmonies with Musical Purity dependent upon Precise Notation; the Human Vocal Chord is too inefficient an Instrument for Singing to be truly precise in the Mathematical Fashion of Divine Instrumentation. I would argue that Singing is a subcategory of Poetry (the construction of Verse [Selective Word Arrangements]) that focuses on Rhythm and Modulation; under the current definition Performance Poetry before an Audience would also be categorised as Singing. Therefore only pure Instrumentation devoid of Voice and other Imprecise Instruments can be considered True Music. I propose that Post Modern Radio develop Frequencies (radio wave segment) devoted entirely to True Music that is not Classical Orchestral; that encompasses Numerous Genres; that is nevertheless clean from Voices; and thus pleasing to those such as My Self; who have a Sensitivity to Imprecise Instrumentation and thus choose only to listen to True Music; yet find Classical Orchestral to lack Excitement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

What about singing without words, just singing pure music? That's got nothing to do with poetry or selective word arrangements.

Overall your idea is fine, radio is a dying medium, there are plenty of empty frequencies you can use, so I think it's time for you to stop theorizing and start broadcasting. Just update us with location, range, and frequency.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is this the otter guy?

Edit: oh, it is. Hello friend.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 26, 2016

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Is this the otter guy?

Edit: oh, it is. Hello friend.
Good Morning to You.

Earwicker posted:

What about singing without words, just singing pure music? That's got nothing to do with poetry or selective word arrangements.

Overall your idea is fine, radio is a dying medium, there are plenty of empty frequencies you can use, so I think it's time for you to stop theorizing and start broadcasting. Just update us with location, range, and frequency.
Singing is an Imprecise Instrumentation; due to minute Variations in the Laryngeal and Respiratory Equipment from Individual to Individual; True Music is defined by its Precision; thus an Imprecise Music is not True Music at all. I disagree that Radio is a Dying Medium (Defunct); I listen to the Radio Every Day; however I am frustrated by frequent Rude Interruptions to my Music Enjoyment; these Interruptions include Advertisements (some of which are loud and grating); Vocal Segments (e.g. [for example] Interviews; Weather Reports; The News); Singing Songs; etcetera.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RODNEY THE RACEHOR posted:

Singing is an Imprecise Instrumentation; due to minute Variations in the Laryngeal and Respiratory Equipment from Individual to Individual; True Music is defined by its Precision; thus an Imprecise Music is not True Music at all.

Why should "True Music" be defined by "precision"? In my opinion the defining characteristic of music (as distinct from sound) is that it is generated intentionally as such by a human being (or the result of an automated process created by a human being). As such, quite a lot of music is characterized by imprecision

Those same variations in Respiratory Equipment from Individual also manifest in brass and wind instruments - do you discount all of these from True Music?

There are variations in musculature that affect how individuals strike a drum or strum a guitar.

There are variations in temperature that change the sound of string instruments from performance to performance (yes even with frequent retuning)

There are variations in mood and emotion that effect how a group of musicians performing together hear each other and respond to each other and interact with one another musically, these variations can be enormous from performance to performance.

Your definition of True Music rules out the vast majority of music performed by humans, and you've yet to provide any good reason why "Precision" should be a defining characteristic. It certainly isn't a traditional one.

quote:

I disagree that Radio is a Dying Medium (Defunct); I listen to the Radio Every Day; however I am frustrated by frequent Rude Interruptions to my Music Enjoyment; these Interruptions include Advertisements (some of which are loud and grating); Vocal Segments (e.g. [for example] Interviews; Weather Reports; The News); Singing Songs; etcetera.

There is a lot more to radio than FM. There are a huge number of frequencies, many of them completely empty. So like I said, less theorizing more broadcasting. Give us the number.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Muzak is very precise.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I disagree, true music [fundamental music] is not a scientific term therefore,

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Rodney, have you ever listened to DarkJazz? It might be exactly what you're looking for.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Rodney, have you ever listened to DarkJazz? It might be exactly what you're looking for.

don't start with this poo poo again!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

don't start with this poo poo again!

He wants excitement in his music, don't deny this man his DarkJazz!

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Friend, have you heard about Hatsune Miku?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uu3kCEEc98

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

Please define the term Dark Jazz; if this is a Racist Term I am not interested; if this is a Metaphysical Term I am not interested; if this is a Philosophical Term I am not interested; I do not want Philosophy in my True Music; I prefer my Music to be Concrete; Precise; Skilful; Melodic; Pleasant to listen to. A Genre known as Electronica has been recommended to me by an Acquaintance (Library Assistant and Clerk); Electronica is not played with Traditional Instruments; it is constructed with a Soft Ware; however I do not enjoy Electronica; due to the lack of Instrumental Physicality; Resonance; Vibrations; Musical Climate; most notably the Natural Mechanical Variations are lacking; such as the Wolf Note and the Vibrant Harmonic produced by Bowed Violoforms; I enjoy listening for these Mechanical Variations provided that the Notation remains Precise; however I do not enjoy Orchestral Arrangements; an Orchestra produces a Complicated and Busy Sound.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Electronica is not exclusively constructed with software. In many cases it is made with hardware, and can often include traditional instruments as well.. as such there is quite a lot of electronic music that involves natural and/or mechanical vibrations.

Still curious about why you think "precision" needs to be a defining characteristic of True Music.

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

Earwicker posted:

Electronica is not exclusively constructed with software. In many cases it is made with hardware, and can often include traditional instruments as well.. as such there is quite a lot of electronic music that involves natural and/or mechanical vibrations.

Still curious about why you think "precision" needs to be a defining characteristic of True Music.
Imprecise Notation (incorrect Sharps; Flats; Half Tones) is unpleasant to listen to; True Music is pleasant to listen to; it is a Fundamental Communication; it serves a Social Purpose (non verbal Communication; Display of Technical Skill; Expression of Mood).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

in fact, check out the Aphex Twin album called Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments

The music is made exactly as the title is described.. the music was composed partially using software and executed by automated processes, but the actual generation of sound is done entirely by acoustic instruments and thus the album contains just as much natural vibration and resonance as you might find in a human performance.. but with more of that Precision you like so much.

Imprecise Notation (incorrect Sharps; Flats; Half Tones) is unpleasant to listen to

Notation doesn't make any sound at all and I have no idea what you mean by "incorrect Sharps; Flats" - accidentals simply indicate a note that is not part of the given key signature, that doesn't make it "incorrect" and if all music stayed entirely within its key signature for the duration of the piece it would be extremely boring.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 1, 2016

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

I am not interested in Electronica; I have seen how Electronica is produced and it does not Inspire me; it is produced via the Manual Arrangement of Notes on a Computer; Notes are placed in Sequence with the Mouse; there is Little To No Skill involved; I do not enjoy Consuming Media when Little To No Skill has been involved in its Creation; I only enjoy Skilled Media.

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

Earwicker posted:

Notation doesn't make any sound at all and I have no idea what you mean by "incorrect Sharps; Flats" - accidentals simply indicate a note that is not part of the given key signature, that doesn't make it "incorrect" and if all music stayed entirely within its key signature for the duration of the piece it would be extremely boring.
?????? My Intended Meaning is an Incorrect Sharp or Flat Note; that is to say; a Sharp or Flat that is not indicated in the Key Signature; or by the Sheet Music; or a Note played Imprecisely so that its Tone is slightly above or below the intended Tone; creating a Discordance. I do not like these Incorrect Notes; they cause me Distress; this is why I choose to play the Pianoforte; the Pianoforte has only Correct Notes; though the Notes can be arranged into Incorrect Sequences; my Brother has a Guitar; he allows it to become Flat (Universal Flatness) and then plays it while it is Flat to cause me Distress; to make me say Do Not Play That Instrument; and to make me say It Is Universally Flat; and to sit in the Cupboard. However I find Skilful Guitar (i.e. Guitar that is Tuneful; Precise; Resonant) to be a Pure Sound; and pleasing to hear.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am not interested in Electronica; I have seen how Electronica is produced and it does not Inspire me; it is produced via the Manual Arrangement of Notes on a Computer; Notes are placed in Sequence with the Mouse

This statement is simply untrue.

Some electronic music is composed in this fashion. Quite a lot of it is not. Many people compose electronic music by playing the notes on keyboard instruments, on guitars, on drums, etc. which takes just as much physical skill as playing the acoustic variants of these instruments.

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

I do not understand why a Skilled Musical Technician would create Electronica; Electronica is a Flat Medium; it lacks Volume; Personality; Incidental Appeal; I am not impressed by an Individual with a Computer; I am impressed by an Individual with Instrumental Skill; I like to be impressed; and to hear the Mechanical Physicality of the Instrument. Electronica is a Waste Of Time; Skill; Recording Equipment; furthermore it is Unappealing; it is not a Worth While Enterprise.

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

What is Dark Jazz?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Have you ever made music yourself? If so, can we hear it?

What is Dark Jazz?

It doesn't exist.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 1, 2016

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

I do not record my Music; I lack Industry Standard Recording Equipment; my Computer Microphone is Sub Standard; my Computer Microphone causes the Notes of the Pianoforte to sound Flat; Muted; Soft; Cold; I do not like it; it does not sound like My Pianoforte. I have asked my Brother if we may purchase Industry Standard Recording Equipment; he said No; he said We Don’t Have Any Money; he said You Have No Star Quality (?); in fact we have Scarce Money due to Legal Fees; obtaining Industry Standard Recording Equipment seems like a Probably Not Scenario at this time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I do not record my Music; I lack Industry Standard Recording Equipment

How about just the notation then?

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

Earwicker posted:

How about just the notation then?
I do not play from Sheet Music; I improvise the Notation based upon my Mood; Environment; Climate; Thoughts; Health; Comfort Level; etcetera.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I do not play from Sheet Music; I improvise the Notation based upon my Mood; Environment; Climate; Thoughts; Health; Comfort Level; etcetera.

well you can write it down after the fact.

So far your definition of True Music seems pretty unconvincing and sterile. I'm interested to hear what your actual music sounds like.

But I'm starting to get the impression that you are All Talk and No Substance. All of your theorizing is kind of pointless without knowing what it means or how it feels in terms of actual sound.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
i missed you, otter man

:sax:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Imprecise Notation (incorrect Sharps; Flats; Half Tones) is unpleasant to listen to; True Music is pleasant to listen to; it is a Fundamental Communication; it serves a Social Purpose (non verbal Communication; Display of Technical Skill; Expression of Mood).

Your definition of true music sounds pretty boring man, just all pleasant tones all the time?

I do not record my Music; I lack Industry Standard Recording Equipment; my Computer Microphone is Sub Standard; my Computer Microphone causes the Notes of the Pianoforte to sound Flat; Muted; Soft; Cold; I do not like it; it does not sound like My Pianoforte. I have asked my Brother if we may purchase Industry Standard Recording Equipment; he said No; he said We Don’t Have Any Money; he said You Have No Star Quality (?); in fact we have Scarce Money due to Legal Fees; obtaining Industry Standard Recording Equipment seems like a Probably Not Scenario at this time.

Lots of good music has been made with lovely recording equipment in people's bedrooms.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
OP if you're for real you seem like a person who gets more enjoyment in establishing categories of value than you do in actually experiencing art and probably should step outside your comfort zone a bit because people wouldn't be creating music with dissonance, electronics, or human variation unless they were "pleasing to listen to" for a staggeringly large number of people. You're missing out on a lot of great stuff by refusing to engage with material that challenges you. If you're not for real then congratulations of frustrating a ton of people I guess.

As a suggestion for this commercial-free AM radio station that plays only skillfully played unchallenging (in the theoretical sense, not the technical sense) instrumental music, you should check out Windam Hill records. The vast majority of the stuff on that label is played on acoustic instruments and does not deviate from tonal centers, but the best artists on there do really cool things with atmosphere and repetition and also incorporate some tasteful synthesizers on occasion that might act as a gateway drug to a larger musical universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twnYmQXOLF4

By the way, designing a perfect sawtooth pad with the right wave balance, filter, envelope and EQ can be super pleasing and impressive.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dadjacket posted:

OP if you're for real you seem like a person who gets more enjoyment in establishing categories of value than you do in actually experiencing art

man.. this is such a great and concise way of describing a type of person (all too often, a type of musician) that I have encountered over the years and often find very frustrating. I'm going to have to steal this line.

I don't know if OP is real but I have encountered so many people coming from academic or semi-academic musical backgrounds with similar very oddly specific and (in their mind) Extremely Discerning opinions on what real music is that I just kind of assume that's more or less where they are coming from

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 1, 2016

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

A human heart posted:

Your definition of true music sounds pretty boring man, just all pleasant tones all the time?
Yes. Music should be Pleasant; Music was invented as a Medium for transmission of Sensory Pleasure between Individuals; Music with out Pleasure is Not Music; it is Noise.

Earwicker posted:

But I'm starting to get the impression that you are All Talk and No Substance. All of your theorizing is kind of pointless without knowing what it means or how it feels in terms of actual sound.
Do Not Troll Me! My Opinions are Valid; I am a Media Consumer (Music); I am Familiar with my own Aural Joys; I am Under Served by the modern Music Industry.

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

What Is Dark Jazz?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Yes. Music should be Pleasant; Music was invented as a Medium for transmission of Sensory Pleasure between Individuals; Music with out Pleasure is Not Music; it is Noise.

Noise is good

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

A human heart posted:

Noise is good
Some Noise is not good; in fact there are numerous types of Bad Noise; Awful Noise; Unbearable Noise (e.g. [for example] Gun Shots; Whistling; Car Toots; Fire Works; Thunder). Some Awful Noise is erroneously categorised as Music; such as Rap [Rhythmic Poetry delivered with Furious Attitudes]; Heavy Metal [Machine Shrieks]; Death Metal [Human Screaming; Growling; Roaring; other Hostile Vocalisations]. I do not understand why Noise that is not pleasant to listen to is categorised as Music; Awful Noise has no Appeal.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I do not understand why Noise that is not pleasant to listen to is categorised as Music;

Because it pleasant to people who are not you.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

[Rhythmic Poetry delivered with Furious Attitudes]

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
if you rephrase it as Rhythmic Attitudinous Poetry you end up with a pretty great acronym while preserving the "archaic vocabulary/writing style" gimmick

also, just so y'all know, this is the guy who asked the LGBT megathread in E/N how anal sex could be pleasurable for about 3 months straight. It was pretty funny.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Precise music is boring and bad. The best music is sloppy and full of emotion and that's what makes it important and moving on a human level.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

What Is Dark Jazz?

It's a style of music heavily influenced by film noir soundtracks, specially Miles Davis's Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud. I think you'll find it very... seductive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

Cease This Rudeness Toward Me. I am an Innocent Enquirer; I wish to discuss a Matter that is pertinent to my Interests; and to the Interests of Other Posters on this Internet Forum; the Forum is titled No Music Discussion but I am assured that this is an Irony; in fact Music Discussion is welcome; and expected. My Motive for not enjoying Sung Songs is that I am highly sensitive to Tune; I do not like to hear an Imperfect Note; an Imperfect Note Wounds my Ears and Nervous System; the Mechanical Looseness of the Human Throat leads inevitably to Imperfect Notes and the Song is ruined. I do not think that Human Beings have beautiful Voices; I do not like to listen to Singing; Speech; Raps; Shouting; Lectures; Whispering; etcetera. Some Singers are better at Tune Precision than Others; [e.g.] my Mother was an Excellent Singer; and achieved Tune Precision to the point of Tune Perfection; she was also an excellent Pianoforte Player and in fact could Play and Sing simultaneously; I enjoyed listening to my Mother Sing as she played the Pianoforte and sang (Please Note That her Voice did not have Tonal Perfection; Tonal Inconsistencies were present due to Nicotine; Emphysema [a Respiratory Disease]; Age). Most Singers lack my Mother’s Tune Perfection; additionally their Tone is Sub Standard; Male Singers are frequently Rough; Nasal; Deliberately Non Melodic; Fleshy; Female Singers make Peculiar Wailing Noises; I wish to be free of these Music Afflictions.

• Locked thread