Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I like the art.

Now if it looked like those poo poo "HD" remakes Squenix is making GBS threads out then we could all be united in hating the art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
If you haven't created armor or a weapon with HP regeneration do it until you have it. It's a godsend.

Even a tiny percentage helps enormously.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I like the stupid dialogue. :3: Its dumb as gently caress and enjoyable.

Also holy gently caress a female lead without boob plate. :o

Is stun% tied to anything in particular? I found that squee-hammers pretty much always have 10% stun chance and it turned up at random on other weapons. Does it turn up on armor or trinkets at all?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I like the stupid dialogue. :3: Its dumb as gently caress and enjoyable.

Also holy gently caress a female lead without boob plate. :o

Is stun% tied to anything in particular? I found that squee-hammers pretty much always have 10% stun chance and it turned up at random on other weapons. Does it turn up on armor or trinkets at all?

Oh right I keep forgetting Flux is a girl. I remember noticing it during the intro and then promptly forgetting about it. The humor and writing of the game isn't my thing, but the fun of the game more than makes it tolerable.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Crashlands Wiki

http://crashlands.gamepedia.com/Crashlands_Wiki

and here's the Crashlands manual, which is more about the history of the world and Flux

http://www.butterscotch-shenanigans.com/2016/01/crashlands-manual.html

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So what's everyone's favorite pet? So far I've got a Whompit, Squidthing, and Glutterflies, all leveled up at least once, and I find myself digging the Whompit the most.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Someone needs to update the wiki because it's all stub articles and Hewgo is named Q in half of them.

MisterBibs posted:

So what's everyone's favorite pet? So far I've got a Whompit, Squidthing, and Glutterflies, all leveled up at least once, and I find myself digging the Whompit the most.

Glutterfly. Hits wide areas, poisons things, and generally deals good damage. I think pet damage scales with your primary weapon, because it's definitely getting stronger as I do.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Glitterfly for stacking damage over time.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Make sure you get used to farming and dropping plants. You can get by on the first map without it, but life will be absolutely miserable if you don't get started early on the second and third maps. The next equivalent to Dust Shards are rarer, require a lot more farming, and come in two separate forms in the second map while you burn through insane amounts of the final tier of plants in the third map and they're hard to find in the first place.

Also armor can feel somewhat meh/useless in the first map except as a bonus chance to your damage, but the resists, toughness, and health become huge in the second and third maps. You still want to focus on crafting a great weapon, but whereas you can get by rerolling a weapon first in the first map, you really want to craft the whole set in the second and third before rerolling. In the same vein, always craft and use a new tier immediately on the third map, the scaling goes through the roof and even a lovely white piece is going to blow a purple previous tier piece out of the water at that point (unless you're rocking a complete stun set or something like that). I think someone also mentioned feeling like they were burning through tiers too fast and that slows down as you get to the end of the first map/beginning of the second.

Edit:
Oh yeah, one of the bosses in the second map drops a gadget recipe to heal you for 50% of your lost health, which makes things so much nicer for random gathering and exploring. I wish I could remember the quest line but just remember to hit the side quests quickly on that map and you'll get to it eventually.

And for the hell of it, my favorite pets are the ones you can get to hit reliably. I think I used Glutterfly mostly until I got the Vomma, which will probably end up killing you more than helping with dragging in others (and it doesn't hit reliably but what the hell) and then switched to Snorble -> Bamli -> Lyff, and finally finishing on Gallum. Probably liked the Bamli or Lyff most.

nessin fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 27, 2016

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I just found the four part quest that teaches you to use signs. :negative:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Make sure you make a Parapod farm ASAP when you get to the Tundra, they're used in every tier I've encountered.

nessin posted:

Probably liked the Bamli or Lyff most.

Thanks for this, I went Glutterfly -> Glaser and have been trying out new pets and the Lyff is great.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 27, 2016

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Are there any downsides to just packing up my base and taking it with me to the Bawg? The only thing that seems like it might be useless is the waterballoon pump.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I missing a way to pot/plant Burbils? I'm up to the Fishwhatever constructor and don't even see anything blank that looks like it could be. Am I guessing right that I just have to hunt down a bunch and hope the recipe drops? Same thing with the second-level pet updates (or are those later on in the game?)?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 27, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Pet upgrades come later in the game

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 27, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Newbie tips: you'll want to make a ton of signs and drop them where you find clusters of harvestable but not plantable plants, and powerups like flight, regen and fishing power.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Am I missing a way to pot/plant Burbils? I'm up to the Fishwhatever constructor and don't even see anything blank that looks like it could be. Am I guessing right that I just have to hunt down a bunch and hope the recipe drops? Same thing with the second-level pet updates (or are those later on in the game?)?
I assume you mean Bulbi? They can be potted, the pot is in the station after the Fishiminea. I think I got the drop from a dusk crystal.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Dessert Rose posted:

I really don't see how you can get this from the trailer but ok

did you have it muted, by chance?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Does this require an always on Internet connection? I have a long flight coming up, and wanted to see if the $5 I'd spend on this would make it more enjoyable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah. If you're playing it on a single device, it'll save locally.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Thanks to all of you posting your maps I just now found the farming quest chain, 5 hours into the game. :cripes: It's pretty fun so far but the combat is just tedious, at least for the first four or five tiers it felt like I wasn't even progressing. It's better now that I'm starting to get trinkets and more devices, though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Gadzuko posted:

Thanks to all of you posting your maps I just now found the farming quest chain, 5 hours into the game. :cripes: It's pretty fun so far but the combat is just tedious, at least for the first four or five tiers it felt like I wasn't even progressing. It's better now that I'm starting to get trinkets and more devices, though.

yeah, generally you should be able to stomp everything you should be able to stomp with your current weapon and pet, and if not, work towards the next crafting station and upgrade your poo poo

also take advantage of stuff like the wrench and the mirror for stunning monsters

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
Is there a point where you need to build walls to protect your crafting structures or is the base building just for fun?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've not had my stuff ripped up yet but I'm still in the Savannah. I was thinking that building a bunker where I can safely plink away at monsters might work but I havent tried it out yet.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
It may have been obvious but try crafting a weapon more than once, the next may have better stat rolls. I got a lvl 1 legendary Sawgrasssowrd with 61 DPS after 4 tries:

Gonna slash some Wompits :hist101:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I grabbed this on iOS when it came out. I have to be honest, I can almost see why it's got such glowing reviews, but then I play for half an hour and... I just don't get it.

Combat is tedious, which consists more of evasion than actual combat. The game does a really poor job of telling you what you do (I could read some of the "zany" dialogue, but I don't really buy survival games for the writing, and there seems to be too much of it in this for my taste) which is made more egregious by the fact that progress in the game seems to be gated by the missions which seems utterly bizarre to me, for a survival game. Now that I'm seeing that the map appears to be identical every time you start a new game, I'm losing any will to keep playing. It all boils down to an open world, survival crafting game with zero sense of discovery and no incentive to experiment or to take risks. I could venture out into very dangerous territory to get some better mats to create some great weapons and armor but I can't access those materials until I have better tools which I can only craft once the game tells me I can. I'm more or less on rails talking to weird creatures so they can tell me exactly what to craft and give me the recipe in order to get to the next person to do the same thing. Seems like such a strange direction to go with a game like this. I like the cross-platform saves though, and the art.

I guess this game was never really aimed at people like me. It's made me want to play Terraria though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mr Scumbag posted:

I grabbed this on iOS when it came out. I have to be honest, I can almost see why it's got such glowing reviews, but then I play for half an hour and... I just don't get it.

Combat is tedious, which consists more of evasion than actual combat. The game does a really poor job of telling you what you do (I could read some of the "zany" dialogue, but I don't really buy survival games for the writing, and there seems to be too much of it in this for my taste) which is made more egregious by the fact that progress in the game seems to be gated by the missions which seems utterly bizarre to me, for a survival game. Now that I'm seeing that the map appears to be identical every time you start a new game, I'm losing any will to keep playing. It all boils down to an open world, survival crafting game with zero sense of discovery and no incentive to experiment or to take risks. I could venture out into very dangerous territory to get some better mats to create some great weapons and armor but I can't access those materials until I have better tools which I can only craft once the game tells me I can. I'm more or less on rails talking to weird creatures so they can tell me exactly what to craft and give me the recipe in order to get to the next person to do the same thing. Seems like such a strange direction to go with a game like this. I like the cross-platform saves though, and the art.

I guess this game was never really aimed at people like me. It's made me want to play Terraria though.

it's kind of like a survival game for people who don't want to put up with the bullshit parts of survival games, for better or worse

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You bring up a good point, discovery is really low in this game. Like now that I've finished(?) the first biome, there really is little incentive to explore more. The only good looking things to find are hand crafted and tied to quests, even the little island of walker fruit I found early on. You never really even run into big clumps of resources to go back go because everything is just splattered on the map.

The best you get further out is new resources and new enemy types, but needing and dealing with each of those is gated through quests instead of progressing via their discovery. There's nothing cool in the random landscape to see either, again unless you stumble on the hand-crafted mission areas, but even then a lot of those lock you out until you're properly on the requisite mission.

Survival gameplay is low, too. You're never really in danger if you stay in the middle of the map. You're never attacked unless you venture out and nothing chases you more than a screen away. There's no temperature or hunger meters to maintain, even when night falls and some monsters do get a little more agressive, they are still tethered and provide no real extra challenge.

Finally, while there are random stats on stuff, rerolling is done in the safety of your home and the drop rate on any special recipe drops is either extremely low or tied to having a specific mission. In either case, you don't just grind a monster hoping for a good drop, you slaughter them for their normal stuff, then go back and wait for the crafting bar to finish to see if you get something better or not. It's oddly a sterile experience.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SynthOrange posted:

Nah. If you're playing it on a single device, it'll save locally.

Does this mean that if you're using a cloud save that you have to move it to a local somehow?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah there's an option to copy it to local

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
I gave the game a try on PC, and I can see the appeal from Don't Starve Sci-Fi. But it's just so drat slow to get into. The amounts of stuff you have to farm even for the crappy starter tier of gear is just tedious, even with the teleporting you can do.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I tried this out the other night. I think it's.... pretty good? It's a good phone game. I would rather play this than the iOS version of Don't Starve. I think Don't Starve is a more engaging overall experience, but I appreciate this for what it is. I think it brings a lot of quality of life things to the table for somebody who wants to play a Don't Starve-like without the constant environmental pressure that Don't Starve normally exerts.

And I think the art is cute :colbert:

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Is there a tell for when Wompits are going to jump once or twice in a roll?

Also, Eggs, who exactly drops them? The bigger mobs? Every mob? Mobs that are one palette swap ahead of the first one?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Everything but the basic version of monsters drops eggs.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Lakbay posted:

So any palette swapped monster drops them, even the tiny ones?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

This has not been the case for me. I've slaughtered fleets of mobs, but only ever got eggs from higher end incarnations of them.

Seconding the issues with the combat someone said upthread. I imagine this sort of stuff is why Wildstar became so weary to play: there's no time when you can mindlessly farm even the mundane of enemies, because you have to always pay attention to the telegraphs or you'll take lots of damage. I'm in Crystal Arch (post Fishthingie) gear and even enemies that are yellow or white-names sting a lot.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Beeme posted:

Is there a tell for when Wompits are going to jump once or twice in a roll?

Also, Eggs, who exactly drops them? The bigger mobs? Every mob? Mobs that are one palette swap ahead of the first one?

I think as the wompit is about to land the first hop, the landing circle should turn dark red? Not sure

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Potsticker posted:

The best you get further out is new resources and new enemy types, but needing and dealing with each of those is gated through quests instead of progressing via their discovery. There's nothing cool in the random landscape to see either, again unless you stumble on the hand-crafted mission areas, but even then a lot of those lock you out until you're properly on the requisite mission.

The gating is the worst part. Why bother creating a nice streamlined crafting system when you're just going to handhold me through it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Lakbay posted:

The basic versions will drop eggs too. Probably a higher drop chance on the higher up versions, but you can still get them. Pretty sure you can't get an egg drop until you have the crafting station that you'd build the incubator with though.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Kris xK posted:

I like the art.

Now if it looked like those poo poo "HD" remakes Squenix is making GBS threads out then we could all be united in hating the art.

Not really.
I mean, what in the gently caress am I looking at?
What in the gently caress is this?
What in the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

Stupid question, but how do I use signs? I'm on iOS if that matters.

• Locked thread