Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.
Magic Realm, published in 1979 by Avalon Hill, is the mother of all fantasy board games. Its modular hex-based game board that changes with every play was ahead of its time and inspired many games that followed; Mage Knight being its heir apparent.

Magic Realm is not for everyone, it is complex (rulebook 122 pages), unforgiving, and imbalanced; however, brave the steep slopes of its learning curve and you'll be rewarded with a game that generates ripping yarns.

Beginners are welcome and I'll try and guide them through but, fair warning, there will be blood.

I just completed a WIP of Magic Realm which you can check out here: [Where I Play] Magic Realm (1978) - Eagles of Death Metal

I also did a previous playthrough of the Berserker which you can find here: [Let's Play] RealmSpeak / Magic Realm

I'm not expecting you to sit down and read the rulebook but, if you're going to play, you should at least read the 8 page rules summary The Least You Need to Know to Play Magic Realm.

(The rulebook, all 122 pages of it, is here.)

Edit: The rules I will be using for this game are:
  • Grudges and Gratitude: Attacking your friends will make them unfriendly toward you, attacking your allies will make them your enemies. Bringing certain treasures to native groups (for instance the sacred grail to the order) will make them one level more friendly toward you.
  • Extended Grudges: Attacking neutral or unfriendly natives will make them unfriendly or enemies respectively for the rest of the game.
  • Persistent chits: Chits, once revealed, remain face up for the remainder of the game.
  • Birdsong rearrangement: You may now rearrange your belongings during the 'birdsong' phase of the day.
  • Knight's Adjustment: The Black Knight is now Friendly with the Company and the White Knight is Friendly with the Order.
  • Watchful Natives: Unassigned natives are not suceptible to surprise attacks.
  • Benevolent Spells: This allows you to cast spells (for instance poison) on your natives without them attacking you.

disperse fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.
I'll be using RealmSpeak to run the game and I'd highly recommend it for those who want to give Magic Realm a try. It handles all of the rules for you, some understanding of the mechanics are required.

RealmSpeak also exports HTML game summaries that you can use to look at the state of the board. An example, from my last WIP, can be found here.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Magic Realm supports from 1 to 16(!) players. The characters are described below and I'll be handing them out on a first come, first served basis.

Dragon Slayers
=====================
These three are the only characters strong enough to wield heavy weapons and kill tremendous armored monsters.

White Knight On your forum, defending your women.
Claimed by EclecticTastes

Description: The White Knight is famous for his virtue and his prowess in battle. He is among the most powerful fighters and can handle the largest and most terrible monsters, but he moves slowly and fatigues easily. Against smaller and faster foes he must rely on his armor to stay alive, and he must use his health to recover from the fatigue and wounds he suffers in combat.
Power: 5
Complexity: 1
Strengths: The most heavily armored of the dragon slayers starting with a greatsword and suit of armor.
Weaknesses: Slow, can't use both his Fight T4** and Move H4** chits at the same time. Groups of light creatures, like a pack of wolves, easily tear him apart.
Magic: Starts with one, type I, spell, usually Make Whole, that he can cast at sources of White magic, like the Chapel.
Often found: At the dragon's hoard, looting treasures.

Berserker My love for you is like a truck...

Description: The Berserker is a powerful fighting man with the strength to dispatch the largest monsters and humans and the speed to outmaneuver them. He is not fast enough to escape faster opponents, so against them he must rely on going berserk to survive and on his robust health to help him recover from his wounds.
Complexity: 1
Strengths: Crushing his enemies, seeing them driven before him, and hearing the lamentation of their women.
Weaknesses: Lightly armored, vulnerable to groups of fast creatures like goblins or bats.
Magic: Bah, I need no magic.
Often found: Using hired Rogues as troll bait.

Dwarf Heigh ho, heigh ho!
Claimed by Bouquet

Description: The Dwarf is a slow and powerful fighter who is at his best in the caves, where he is respected as a master of searching, hiding and fighting the monsters that live there. Outside of the caves he is slow and clumsy. In battle his ability to duck allows him to swiftly escape enemy blows and out-maneuver the largest and slowest denizens.
Power: 4
Complexity: 2
Strengths: A duck counter, a Move T3* counter, makes him one of the most effective monster hunters of the game. His ability to roll one die in the caves allows him to easily loot treasure locations found there.
Weaknesses: His short legs disadvantage means he only gets two actions a day (the other characters get four). He can't use his duck chit to run away and his next fastest move is speed 5.
Magic: None
Often found: Following the Wizard into Moria.

Native Commanders
=====================
These two characters are often found hiring groups of natives and leading them around the board killing other groups of natives.

Captain O Captain! My Captain!

Description: The Captain is a renowned hero of many wars. His strength, weapon and armor make him dangerous when facing Medium or Heavy opponents, but he needs heavier equipment to deal with heavily armored foes. He is not really strong enough to face Tremendous foes.
Power: 3
Complexity: 3
Strengths: Starts with a full suit of medium armor and is friendly with both the Guard and the Soldiers.
Weaknesses: Unable to face heavy armored creatures with his starting equipment.
Often found: Marching toward the Inn with a small army of soldiers.

Black Knight It's just a flesh wound.
Claimed by LeSquide

Description: The Black Knight is a deadly and feared veteran of many battlefields. He is at his best against humans. He is too weak to dispatch Tremendous monsters until he gets a heavier weapon.
Strengths: The most heavily armored character in the game, friendly with the most powerful native group, the Company.
Weaknesses: Unable to use his Move M4* while wearing heavy armor, can't effectively wield heavy weapons.
Often found: At the Inn waiting for the mother-loving Company to show up.

Support Characters
=====================

Amazon The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised.

Description: The Amazon is a skilled warrior and soldier, with excellent speed and fair strength. She is deadliest against Medium and Heavy opponents. She should avoid or run from Tremendous and armored Heavy monsters, who are too dangerous for her to handle even if she obtains heavier equipment.
Strengths: Starts with a full suit of medium armor. Gets an extra move phase each turn. Able to defeat heavy armored foes if she upgrades her short sword to a spear. A Move M3* chit means she is very mobile even when wearing armor.
Weaknesses: Her friends, the lancers and patrol, don't begin the game on the board. Only has a single heavy fight chit (H4**).
Often found: Squishing giant spiders in the mountains.

Pilgrim

Description: The Pilgrim is an adventurous cleric who must rely on his alliance with the Order and his ability to swiftly dispatch Medium opponents. With better weapons and armor he can defeat heavier opponents, but he is very slow and must choose his battles cautiously. He can wield powerful white magic, and his choice of a starting spell is critical in determining his strategy.
Power: 1
Strengths: Allied with the most powerful natives, the knights of the order. Has a Fight M2** chit that makes him a very effective goblin slayer with his staff.
Weaknesses: He starts with no armor and a staff and his fastest move is speed 4 which makes him vulnerable to just about every creature in the game.
Magic: Starts with one spell of type I or type VII. Dependent upon the white magic available at the Chapel.
Often found: Impaled on the Lancers' spears.

Wizard Any resemblance to Gandalf is purely coincidental.

Description: The Wizard is an elderly wanderer familiar with the ways of the Magic Realm. During his travels he has made many friends and he has learned all of the secret roads of the land. In combat he is slow and weak, so he must choose his battles cautiously.
His long study of the colors of magic enables him to create grey, gold and purple magic at the same time, giving him great powers with enchantments and spells, particularly Artifacts and Spell Books. His strengths and weaknesses make him a valuable member of a party, but he is extremely vulnerable when he tries to work alone.
Complexity: 4
Strengths: Starts knowing the locations of all secret paths and passageways. Friendly with many native groups.
Weaknesses: Everything else.
Magic: Can start with the best offensive spell in the game, Fiery Blast and one other utility spell.
Often found: Being eaten by goblins.

Mobile characters
=====================
Run away, run away!

Druid *sings* When the moon is in the Seventh House--And Jupiter aligns with Mars--Then peace will guide the planet--And love will steer the stars--This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius

Description: The Druid is an elusive magician at peace with nature. Since he cannot deal with most opponents even if he gets a weapon, he must operate alone, avoiding and hiding from monsters and running from them at need. He needs to win without combat, if possible.
Strengths: Hides easily and does not summon monsters from Warning and Sound chits. There was this one time I played the Druid and found both the lucky die and the magic wand, that was fun.
Weaknesses: Treasure locations and other characters will summon monsters normally.
Magic: One of three characters that can learn type VIII spells including Poison and Deal with Goblins
Often found: Rolling his eyes at rude, noisy characters in his hex.

Woods Girl
Claimed by Bacon In A Wok

Description: The Woods Girl is the elusive mistress of the wooded lands, an expert tracker who is deadly with the bow against Light, Medium or Heavy opponents. When facing heavier opponents or overwhelming numbers, she is fleet enough to run away.
Strengths: Fast. Starts with a bow and rolls only one die ont he missile table. Rolls only one die in woods tiles which is especially useful for treasure locations in the Deep Woods tile.
Weaknesses: The missile table is fickle. Her allies, the Woodsfolk, can be difficult to find.
Magic: Starts with one type VII spell but with no color magic to energize it. The suggested spell is Control Bats as it can be powered with any color magic and used on the 7th, 14th, 21st, or 28th days of the month.
Often found: Running away from angry giants with arrows sticking out of their backs.

Powerful Spellcasters
=====================

Sorceror Any resemblance to Saruman is purely coincidental.
Claimed by LLSix

Description: The Sorceror is the master of elemental magic and conjuring. He is helpless in combat, so he does best when he takes some of the excellent Type IV Attack spells at the start of the game, which make him formidable in combat. His favorite Treasures are the Book of Lore and the Scroll of Alchemy, which can vastly increase the powers he can call on.
Strengths: Melt into Mist effectively makes the Sorceror invulnerable as long as he has purple magic. Can cast the powerful offensive spells Fiery Blast and Transform.
Weaknesses: Vulnerable once his purple magic is used up. Spends a lot of time resting up and enchanting magic chits.
Magic: Yes! Three powerful type IV or type VI spells.
Often found: Chasing a squirrel, the transformed White Knight, around with a dagger.

Witchking Witch Queen Any resemblance to Sauron is purely coincidental.
Claimed by Gutter Owl

Description: The Witch King is an incorporeal manifestation of magic. He can Move and do other activities, but without magic he does not even have a Move chit to allow him to carry items (so he can carry only items of Negligible weight). With magic, however, he is masterful.
He controls the powerful Elemental, Demonic and Conjuring spells (Types IV, V, and VI), which give him a great deal of choice in how he will play the game. His best choice of spells at the start of the game depends on his Victory Requirements and strategy, but usually he needs some kind of spell to move, some kind of spell to attack, and some kind of spell to protect him in combat.
Complexity: 5
Strengths: Can cast all the most powerful spells, Melt into Mist, Fiery Blast, and Absorb Essence.
Weaknesses: No Move chits means the Witchking can literally not carry anything bigger than a breadbox. Must search using the Magic Sight table which can be frustrating.
Magic: All The Spells. Type IV, Type V, and Type VI.
Often found: Being blown away by a stiff breeze.

Witch Double, double toil and trouble; fire burn, and cauldron bubble.
Claimed by TheNabster

Description: The Witch is the mistress of natural and demonic powers. Nearly helpless in combat, she must select some spells that allow her to fight or avoid combat. She usually does best by going off by herself, preferably to some place where she can find grey magic.
Strengths: Can cast powerful black magic (type V), including Broomstick and Absorb Essence. Her familiar can roam the board and pass information back to her.
Weaknesses: If she doesn't find a Tremendous armored creature to absorb she is vulnerable to light and fast creatures.
Often found: Resting and enchanting black magic.

Griefers
=====================
These characters possess abilities uniquely suited for ruining the other characters' games.

Elf Elf is OP, nerf pls.

Description: The Elf is an elusive and graceful warrior and magician. With his Light Bow he is a deadly match for anything less than an armored Heavy foe, and with a Medium Bow he can face any opponent. He has the speed to escape numerous opponents.
Strengths: Fast. Starts with a bow and rolls only one die on the missile table. An extra hide phase each day is effectively an extra phase as you rarely do not hide.
Weaknesses: After the White Knight finds his way out of the enchanted woods tile you cast Lost on, he's going to be Very Upset.
Magic: Two spells of type III or type VII with spells like, Illusion and Lost to mess with other players, and Persuasion and Control
Often found: Killing the Wizard.

Swordsman

Description: The Swordsman is a wily and nimble rascal, quick to react to an opportunity or threat. In combat he is extremely fast with his sword and with his feet: against individual Light, Medium and Heavy opponents his speed makes him a deadly antagonist, and he can run away when he faces Tremendous monsters, armored Heavy monsters and enemies who outnumber him.
Power: 2
Strengths: Starts out at the Inn with his friends, the rogues. Can choose to go first each day. Fast.
Weaknesses: Not strong enough to kill heavy armored creatures, still not fast enough to outrun bats.
Often found: Killing the Wizard.

????????? characters:
=====================

Magician A.K.A. One Who Runs From Eagles

Description: The Magician knows a little about a lot of different types of magic. He can cast nearly any spell - if he can obtain the right color magic. He must make the best use of the color magic he finds in the game, for he lacks the paired Magic chits necessary to enchant tiles. Obviously, he values Enchanted cards above all else. When he picks his starting spells, he must be very careful to pick spells that he can cast with the chits he has available.
Complexity: 5
Strengths: Can learn any spells of any type except for I.
Weaknesses: Doesn't start with the ability to create his own color magic, reliant upon days when color magic is on the board or magic items that emit color magic.
Magic: Starts with 3 spells of any type except for divine (Type I).
Often found: Hiding in the Chapel waiting for his curses to go away.

disperse fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 2, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Random roll, boss. :colbert:

I've played White Knight, Captain, Witch King, Pilgrim, and Woods Girl to varying degrees of effect. Witch King has been my go-to for a long time. And I'm prepared to roll out with Wizard.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I don't have time to join in, but I'm subscribing to see how this goes. A friend gave me a run-down copy of Magic Realm and after glancing at the rulebook once it's been sitting on a shelf.

Excited to watch, and I'm going to jump into your WIP thread soon!

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I'll jump in. Most comfortable with Witch King, Sorcerer, White Knight but can play pretty much whomever (I am terrible at the Elf and Woods Girl though). Thinking either Witch, Pilgrim, or I'll party up with people if that's how we do (I like Amazon but her socials are so bad).

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

I've played White Knight, Captain, Witch King, Pilgrim, and Woods Girl to varying degrees of effect. Witch King has been my go-to for a long time. And I'm prepared to roll out with Wizard.

Do you mind if I save the easier (complexity 1 and 2) characters for new players? I'm not sure how many veterans we'll get.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I have never played this before, and don't know what I'm doing.

Will I be hosed if I pick the witch?

If so, give me the... swordsman I guess. If not, I'll try my hand at being a scary old lady.

EDIT, actually, looking at the rules, I'd prefer the Swordsman please. Or any other low complexity character, but I like the cut of the Swordsman's jib.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

TheCog posted:

I have never played this before, and don't know what I'm doing.

Will I be hosed if I pick the witch?

If so, give me the... swordsman I guess. If not, I'll try my hand at being a scary old lady.

EDIT, actually, looking at the rules, I'd prefer the Swordsman please. Or any other low complexity character, but I like the cut of the Swordsman's jib.

Okay, the Swordsman it is!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I have never played this but it looks amazing. The Amazon looks like the most interesting of the low-complexity characters, so sign me up for that.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Corbeau posted:

I have never played this but it looks amazing. The Amazon looks like the most interesting of the low-complexity characters, so sign me up for that.

You got it!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Are the complexity 3 characters too complex for first time players? Black Knight looks cool, but I have no experience with this game other than your LPs.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

You'll want to sort of understand the details of how hiring and definitely understand how weapon length/speed/alerting work in order to play the black knight, but that's not terribly difficult. He's more hireling-oriented than a lot of the rest of the cast and he cares about wandering NPCs quite a bit, but he's also just got decent gear and good socials in general. Should be doable for a first-timer with a bit of effort but would definitely recommend trying to grok the hireling rules.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Poring over the rules at present but this looks fun as hell, gimme the White Knight so I can kill brutes and get loots.

EDIT: Matter of fact, I'm gonna flesh this guy out based on how I read the rules. I'm not just The White Knight, but rather:

Sir Toffington of the Unburdened Mind

Sir Toffington is the simple sort, he adventures to right wrongs and fight evil, with a secondary goal of making friends with as many other adventurers as possible. He highly respects the opinion of the Order, but tends to be slightly more skeptical of the Lancers, given their somewhat erratic endorsements. Sees The Black Knight as a worthy rival, the Company's dislike is completely one-sided.

Opinions on the other characters:

The Berserker: "Perhaps he's a tad... passionate, but he's strong as an ox, and the Lancers vouch for him, so he's probably pretty okay!"

The Dwarf: "He's a hardy fellow, and an invaluable guide down in the caves."

The Captain: "A decorated military commander, clearly a man of integrity and prowess!"

The Black Knight: "Ah, my rival and counterpart, I see no need to shed each other's blood when we can compete with our accomplishments!"

The Amazon: "A highly adaptable warrior, able to fight up close or at range, perfect for a skirmish."

The Pilgrim: "The cleric, the knight's natural ally, anyone so well-respected by the Order is a friend of mine!"

The Wizard: "I'm sure the Lancers are just overreacting, you seem a lot nicer than the other guy. I'll put in a good word for you."

The Druid: "The Order may distrust you, but you don't seem to mean any harm, so I'll not disturb you."

The Woods Girl: "There's nobody I'd rather have along on a trip into the woods."

The Sorceror: "I'm not sure I like the cut of your jib, but just about everyone deserves a chance."

The Witch King: "Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!"

The Witch: "Oh, how evil could she be, she even has a pet! There must have been some sort of misunderstanding."

The Elf: "Let's... just agree to leave each other alone."

The Swordsman: "I'd prefer him as a friend, but if he insists on robbing people..."

The Magician: "Don't you worry, I'll protect you from the eagles!"

Self-Imposed Goals:
-To not just win, but ensure as many other players win as possible, as well (except The Witch King, obviously)
-To score higher than The Black Knight, without ever fighting him (if he's in play)
-Ensure The Pilgrim never dies (if he's in play)
-Help The Wizard become Friendly or better with the Lancers and also convince him to even bother doing so (if he's in play)
-Kill a Tremendous Dragon, with or without backup

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 27, 2016

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LeSquide posted:

Are the complexity 3 characters too complex for first time players? Black Knight looks cool, but I have no experience with this game other than your LPs.

I think you'll have fun with the Black Knight. The reason why I assigned a complexity of 3 to the Black Knight is he is most effective with an army of mercenaries (usually the Company) at his back and the rules for combat with hired natives is complex.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Poring over the rules at present but this looks fun as hell, gimme the White Knight so I can kill brutes and get loots.

EDIT: Matter of fact, I'm gonna flesh this guy out based on how I read the rules. I'm not just The White Knight, but rather:

Sir Toffington of the Unburdened Mind

Welcome to The Realm Sir Toffington!

EclecticTastes posted:

Self-Imposed Goals:
-To not just win, but ensure as many other players win as possible, as well (except The Witch King, obviously)
-To score higher than The Black Knight, without ever fighting him (if he's in play)
-Ensure The Pilgrim never dies (if he's in play)
-Help The Wizard become Friendly or better with the Lancers and also convince him to even bother doing so (if he's in play)
-Kill a Tremendous Dragon, with or without backup

These are mostly reasonable goals, the Pilgrim and the White Knight can both choose to start at the Chapel with the Order and often team up and the White Knight is a very effective dragon slayer.

Making the Wizard Friendly with the Lancers is extremely difficult. You would have to convince the Wizard to go out of his way to pick up either the Raid or Revolt campaign chits (paying 8 fame or 35 notoriety respectively). The campaign chits increase your relationship with your partners in the campaign by two levels which would bring the Wizard up from Enemy to Neutral. If he then bought drinks for the Lancers then he would be Friendly with them, at least for an evening. I have never seen this happen.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

I'm leaning toward giving you the Pilgrim so you can team up with Sir Toffington or the Wizard, because every Realm needs a Gandalf. Alternately, you could be the Witchking so that Sir Toffington could have a nemesis on the board. Any preference?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

disperse posted:

Making the Wizard Friendly with the Lancers is extremely difficult. You would have to convince the Wizard to go out of his way to pick up either the Raid or Revolt campaign chits (paying 8 fame or 35 notoriety respectively). The campaign chits increase your relationship with your partners in the campaign by two levels which would bring the Wizard up from Enemy to Neutral. If he then bought drinks for the Lancers then he would be Friendly with them, at least for an evening. I have never seen this happen.

Sir Toffington doesn't really understand logistics. Plus it gives me an excuse to hang out with The Wizard who seems like a rad guy who won't turn me into a squirrel.

So, I think I understand the basics of the combat system, but I haven't really looked over the tables for randomizing enemy actions, and I have a feeling the probabilities involved there might influence strategy. That said, I think the way it goes is:

-Pick a red box for the enemy to go in.
-Put a movement chit on a maneuver (optional)
-Put a fight chit on an attack
-Randomness happens and enemies move and/or flip over
-If there's an enemy in the red box corresponding with your attack, you hit, and if there's one in the box corresponding with your maneuver, you get hit, otherwise enemies hit you if their attack speed beats the speed of your movement chit, and you hit them if your fight chit's speed beats their movement speed
-Resolve hits
-Repeat until combat ends

Is that about correct? I mean you also pick a weapon to use and such but I think this is approximately correct for "character vs. enemies".

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

disperse posted:

I'm leaning toward giving you the Pilgrim so you can team up with Sir Toffington or the Wizard, because every Realm needs a Gandalf. Alternately, you could be the Witchking so that Sir Toffington could have a nemesis on the board. Any preference?

Tough choice. Witch Queen is my go-to shank, but I'm also keen to see if the Wizard can be successful as part of a team-up. I'll take either.

My style of Pilgrim might be a difficult partner for the Knight, because I tend to spend a few days at the Chapel spamming Small Blessing until I get Wish for Strength. Which would slow the Knight way down, and probably be less fun.

EclecticTastes posted:

Sir Toffington doesn't really understand logistics. Plus it gives me an excuse to hang out with The Wizard who seems like a rad guy who won't turn me into a squirrel.

So, I think I understand the basics of the combat system, but I haven't really looked over the tables for randomizing enemy actions, and I have a feeling the probabilities involved there might influence strategy. That said, I think the way it goes is:

-If there's an enemy in the red box corresponding with your attack, you hit, and if there's one in the box corresponding with your maneuver, you get hit, otherwise enemies hit you if their attack speed beats the speed of your movement chit, and you hit them if your fight chit's speed beats their movement speed
-Resolve hits

Is that about correct? I mean you also pick a weapon to use and such but I think this is approximately correct for "character vs. enemies".

That's the gist, with one extra wrinkle: If you're hidden at the start of a combat round, a monster will not attack you, so you can get in a free swipe. (The same is not true of the Natives, if disperse chooses to use the Watchful Natives rules. Which he should.)

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

-Resolve hits

Yep, that's a great summary of the basics of combat.

The probabilities are pretty easy: each round a creature has roughly a 1 in 3 chance of flipping (11/36) and equal chances to choose each of the three tactics (Charge/Thrust, Swing/Dodge, Smash/Duck).

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Opinions on the other characters:

The Black Knight: "Ah, my rival and counterpart, I see no need to shed each other's blood when we can compete with our accomplishments!"

The Sorceror: "I'm not sure I like the cut of your jib, but just about everyone deserves a chance."

The Witch King: "Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!"

Also, I would like to point out this gross injustice. The Black Knight often spends his game griefing or killing anyone without a sufficiently large army or sufficiently pointy ears. And the Sorceror mostly burns down native dwellings for kicks. The Witch King is a stand-up ghost by comparison, and completely innocent.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The Witch King is no slouch when it comes to turning into a dragon and consuming anyone not named the Order.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Andarel posted:

I'll jump in. Most comfortable with Witch King, Sorcerer, White Knight but can play pretty much whomever (I am terrible at the Elf and Woods Girl though). Thinking either Witch, Pilgrim, or I'll party up with people if that's how we do (I like Amazon but her socials are so bad).

Witch King, Sorcerer, Witch, and Pilgrim are still available. If you're interested in teaming up with the White Knight then go Pilgrim and start at the Chapel. If you'd prefer to go solo then I'd suggest the Witch. If you'd like to participate in the wholesale slaughter of the Rogues on Round 1, then I'd suggest the Sorcerer. Alternately, go hang out with the ghosts as the Witch King.

disperse fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 27, 2016

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Tough choice. Witch Queen is my go-to shank, but I'm also keen to see if the Wizard can be successful as part of a team-up. I'll take either.

I like the idea of a Witch Queen... she's yours!

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I've got a friend who's always trying to get our group to play this but we're always too scared. I think this is the only way I'm going to learn it as long as people are willing to answer my dumb questions. If yes, I'll take the Dwarf. Seems like he should just beeline to a cave and hang out there for a while, which doesn't sound too complicated...

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Bouquet posted:

I've got a friend who's always trying to get our group to play this but we're always too scared. I think this is the only way I'm going to learn it as long as people are willing to answer my dumb questions. If yes, I'll take the Dwarf. Seems like he should just beeline to a cave and hang out there for a while, which doesn't sound too complicated...

Dwarf it is!

That's a pretty good strategy. I'd add a suggestion to start at the Guardhouse and buy a spare helmet from the Guard (the Dwarf tends to go through helmets quickly) and watch out for goblins!

The Dwarf may also want to team up with the Wizard (who hasn't yet been claimed) who can start at the Guardhouse and can handle packs of goblins with his fiery blast spell.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I'll roll with the Pilgrim. Now I just need to decide if I should take Small Blessing or Exorcism...

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Andarel posted:

I'll roll with the Pilgrim. Now I just need to decide if I should take Small Blessing or Exorcism...

The Pilgrim is yours. (Does the Pilgrim make anyone else think of the intro to Kung Fu?)

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I guess I'll be the Black Knight!

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LeSquide posted:

I guess I'll be the Black Knight!

The Black Knight is yours.

disperse fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 28, 2016

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
I have no idea what the crap any of this means, but I'm down to magic the realm or whatever if you've still got space. I'll read up on the rules and see what's still open for pay.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Wow, I've been trying to play in Realmspeak, and I gotta say, I'm glad I'm probably going to be partnered with more experienced players, because I'll need all the help I can get. I'm guessing the White Knight should be capable of surviving fights on a consistent basis, and so far that hasn't really been happening, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I mean, I need to get my Hiding game up I guess, but even then, enemies just seem to wreck me without me being able to do much, so I could use the advice on how to best utilize the first few turns.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Welcome to Magic Realm! I hope you enjoy getting slowly and painfully wounded to death.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
Might as well sign me up -- I have mucked around with Realmspeak before so am willing to go with Woods Girl, Elf or Witch (in roughly that order of preference, but specifically willing to vacate Woods Girl if that should be reserved for a less experienced player).

EclecticTastes posted:

Wow, I've been trying to play in Realmspeak, and I gotta say, I'm glad I'm probably going to be partnered with more experienced players, because I'll need all the help I can get. I'm guessing the White Knight should be capable of surviving fights on a consistent basis, and so far that hasn't really been happening, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I mean, I need to get my Hiding game up I guess, but even then, enemies just seem to wreck me without me being able to do much, so I could use the advice on how to best utilize the first few turns.
White Knight should mostly be going after large enemies - Trolls, Dragons and sometimes Giants - in Mountain hexes. Hiding is very important; Alerting your weapon is equally important, and can be done either as an Alert action during the day or (more commonly) during the prep stages of your combat round. The starting Greatsword, un-Alerted, is a Speed 6 weapon - which means the speed of your Fight chit is totally un-important, you're hitting only if your enemy is either a Speed 7 (there are no Speed 7 enemies in the game) or if you match direction (odds of 1 in 3, and your enemy probably still gets in the first shot.) Alert the Greatsword, though, and its Speed 6 goes away - which means that your Fight chit speed takes over and allows you to hit at T5 or H4 and outspeed many of the larger enemies on the chart.

(The smaller enemies, though - packs of Goblins, Spiders, Trolls and especially Bats - are too fast to hit, except with a lucky shot. Only thing you can do there is pick a direction to swing in, hope the 1 in 3 luck of the dice has them line up with your strike, and see if you can connect before they peck you to death. Or else Hide, and run away before combat starts.)

Also play around a bit on bartering with the Order on Day 1. Trading the Greatsword for a Morning Star is almost pure upgrade (exactly why is an exercise for the reader); trading Armor for a Warhorse is a bit less intuitive (and one I have never successfully pulled off myself, in mucking around with solo Realmspeak games) but potentially makes Goblins and Bats much, much less of a threat. The White Knight is one of the most powerful characters in the game, if you play to his strengths. And his strengths are beating up on big monsters, not getting chewed up by packs of smaller monsters or engaging in PvP.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I've been using a save on Day 1 to sort of play around with strategies since I found myself a single turn away from a Tremendous Dragon and child, but the game tells me I don't have a fast enough Fight chit to play to ready my Greatsword in the prebattle. I mean, obviously the solution is to Alert it beforehand, but why does that happen? How fast is fast enough?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

I've been using a save on Day 1 to sort of play around with strategies since I found myself a single turn away from a Tremendous Dragon and child, but the game tells me I don't have a fast enough Fight chit to play to ready my Greatsword in the prebattle. I mean, obviously the solution is to Alert it beforehand, but why does that happen? How fast is fast enough?

You need a Fight chit faster than the move speed of the enemies assigned to you. Of course, if you're hidden at the start of the fight, no enemies are assigned to you...

EDIT: This is your friend, as is this. At least read through the White Knight and Woods Girl segments, they'll get you up to speed on basic combat stuff.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 28, 2016

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I have no idea what the crap any of this means, but I'm down to magic the realm or whatever if you've still got space. I'll read up on the rules and see what's still open for pay.

Plenty of space, Magic Realm supports up to 16 players. I'm marking characters as claimed in the character post above. The Berserker is free and a good beginner's character.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Bacon In A Wok posted:

Might as well sign me up -- I have mucked around with Realmspeak before so am willing to go with Woods Girl, Elf or Witch (in roughly that order of preference, but specifically willing to vacate Woods Girl if that should be reserved for a less experienced player).

The Woods Girl goes to Bacon In A Wok.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

The White Knight vs. a tremendous dragon and a heavy dragon is an interesting battle and worth running through as an example of some combat mechanics.

The steps to take to defeat a tremendous and heavy dragon as the White Knight
  1. Start the combat from hiding

2. Skip the luring phase of combat, this will allow you to get a free attack on the dragons
  3. Alert the great sword, on its unalerted side it has an attack speed of 6 (lower is better) and the weapon's attack speed always trumps the chit's attack speed. Because there are no dragons on your sheet (see step 2) you can alert the sword using any fight chit, use the fight H6 chit.

4. Target the tremendous dragon in the assigned target phase of combat (in RealmSpeak, use the 'Select Unassigned Target' button)
  5. Swing the great sword using your Fight T5* chit. The attack direction doesn't matter.

6. One tremendous dragon down! Note that the White Knight's attack speed of 5 undercuts the tremendous dragon's move speed of 6 which means the attack will always hit regardless of position. The White Knight needed to use his tremendous (T) strength chit to do enough damage to kill the dragon who is tremendous and armored: the great sword does H damage with one sharpness star, the sharpness star is removed by the dragon's armor making it a H attack, the White Knight is overswinging by using a T fight chit with a H weapon which increases the harm from H -> T which is enough to kill the tremendous dragon.

7. Round 2: The White Knight, now unhidden, must take the heavy dragon on his sheet either by luring it or through random assignment.
  8. The greatsword became unalerted when it hit the tremendous dragon; however, this doesn't matter because the White Knight doesn't have a fast enough fight to undercut the heavy dragon's move speed of 4 (3 if it flips).
  9. Assign the heavy dragon as the White Knight's target
  10. Maneuver with the White Knight's Move H4** chit, this is important because it prevents the heavy dragon from undercutting the White Knight and hitting him every round.
  11. Attack with the Fight H6 chit which is the only attack chit the White Knight has without any effort asterisks. You are only allowed to expend a total of two effort asterisks each round of combat and we're already using two for our Move H4** chit.
  12. Depending on whether you're pessimistic or optimistic you can either cover your maneuver with the great sword (you will take 1 wound) or swing in a different direction than your maneuver (you will take 0 or more wounds)
  13. I prefer covering my maneuver here so I set up like this:

14. The White Knight misses!

15. You have to fatigue a move chit, so fatigue the Move T6* chit
  16. Set up the same way for Round 3

17. This time the White Knight lines up with the heavy dragon and takes damage to his armor and a wound but kills the dragon.

18. Fatigue the Move H5* and wound a Fight H5* chit
  19. You make 20 fame and 20 notoriety, 10 each for the tremendous dragon and (5 * 2) each for the heavy dragon: the reward for the second creature killed is doubled.
  20. Head back to the Chapel, which radiates white magic, and cast your Make Whole spell to repair your damaged armor and heal your wounds.

Note that the outcome of this combat is not guaranteed, if the heavy dragon dodges three times in a row then the White Knight will have to fatigue his Move H4** chit. Then he is in trouble: taking damage to his armor and wounds for each round of combat afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

So it looks like we have 8 players so far, 9 if Dimo ArKacho joins us, which is a pretty large game. I'm going to aim to get started this weekend. I'll be posting more regarding starting victory points, etc. over the next couple days.

• Locked thread