Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

LLSix posted:

I guess it's to late to use my spare spell phase to alert a type VI chit?

Yes, it's evening already. Also, it takes an 'Alert' phase, not a 'Spell' phase to alert a spell chit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Hmm. Giant bats look pretty scary. Since I'm hidden, is my ability to get in an alerted attack likely to swing it in my favor, or is the bat still likely to avoid and then poke me to death?

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

LeSquide posted:

Hmm. Giant bats look pretty scary. Since I'm hidden, is my ability to get in an alerted attack likely to swing it in my favor, or is the bat still likely to avoid and then poke me to death?

You're in clearing 2 of Borderlands and the bats are in clearing 3 so no chance to take a swing at it this round.

For future rounds: the Black Knight could take out a single bat, just a matter of how many wounds he would take before he lines up his mace with it. Two or more bats would be trouble.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Evening 1 Results:

The Witch Queen wraps her hands around a young sapling, green and vibrant, and it sheds its leaves and turns black and brittle. When the last leaf falls, she yanks it easily from the soil and enchants it with black magic, it starts to float in the air. This done, she casts a second spell and fades away into the darkness of the night.
Casts Broomstick, Casts World Fades

Meanwhile, at the Inn...

The Witch grabs a broom from beside the hearth and enchants it with black magic, it starts to hover and glow with a pale, unsettling, light.
Casts Broomstick

The Day 2 board can be found here.

Please PM me your Day 2 orders. If you are not sure what to do, please post in this thread and I or another of the experienced players can give you some advice.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Borderlands is the home of the Lost City, one of two adventure sites that have six warning chits. First, the good news: you've located the Pool, one of the largest treasure sites with three large treasures and six small treasures; unfortunately, it is in a cave clearing which means finding it and looting its treasure is going to be difficult.

Borderlands is very dangerous, any monster roll except a 5 will summon more creatures to the hex, here are the warning chits on the hex:

Stink C (Trolls)
Flutter 1 (Bats or flying dragons)
Slither 3 (Snakes or dragons)
Howl 5 (Goblins)
Slither 6 (Snakes or dragons)
Pool 6 (The Giant Octopus)

A monster roll of 1 will bring two heavy flying dragon, a heavy dragon, and a tremendous dragon all at once.
A monster roll of 2 will bring a pair of heavy snakes and a tremendous snake.
A monster roll of 3 will bring a stack of six goblins and the giant octopus, which guards the Pool.
A monster roll of 4 will bring a pair of heavy trolls.
A monster roll of 6 will bring two more giant bats to join the one already on the hex.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The also-good-news is that the Lost City (which is the massive cave spawner) doesn't have much in the way of treasure which means it's less likely to have a horrible, hellish trek into a really awful Lost City in the Caverns or similar for treasure and death by goblin - since Lost City is the x5 treasure for caves.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, given that I don't have any native goons yet, and this hex is about to become a nightmare, does it make more sense to try and angle for an ambush on something, or explore another Hex that's not so full of potential dragons?

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LeSquide posted:

So, given that I don't have any native goons yet, and this hex is about to become a nightmare, does it make more sense to try and angle for an ambush on something, or explore another Hex that's not so full of potential dragons?

The Black Knight is, for instance, pretty good at taking out heavy snakes and trolls, but useless against tremendous dragons and the octopus. If you could team up with the Dwarf (who is great at killing tremendous dragons) and the Sorcerer (who can take out stacks of goblins efficiently) then you'd be in pretty good shape.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

disperse posted:

The Black Knight is, for instance, pretty good at taking out heavy snakes and trolls, but useless against tremendous dragons and the octopus. If you could team up with the Dwarf (who is great at killing tremendous dragons) and the Sorcerer (who can take out stacks of goblins efficiently) then you'd be in pretty good shape.

The White Knight is also willing to help you kill a dragon, he doesn't dislike The Black Knight, he just feels a certain need to outdo him as a point of professional pride and would actually rather he not get eaten by an overgrown lizard. I'm headed your way to link up with The Sorceror, anyway, so we can do some "Legolas and Gimli at Helm's Deep" stuff if you want. Hell, if you don't mind it being an underground hex, I'd be down to raid the Pool with you, the octopus ain't poo poo against a T chit delivered via morningstar and my free Rests make the Pool an ideal looting ground for me, but lighter enemies are a threat until/unless I find the Garb of Speed so I could use someone with better skill against middleweight foes.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'm game for trying to survive the hex together! How soon can you get your shining armor down here?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LeSquide posted:

I'm game for trying to survive the hex together! How soon can you get your shining armor down here?

Well, I could be there by day three, day four if the LZ is hot, requiring a Hide or Alert.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Meet ya there day four!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Just to make sure, when it's my turn do I choose whether I move the Familiar or the Witch first, or is it Random?

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

TheNabster posted:

Just to make sure, when it's my turn do I choose whether I move the Familiar or the Witch first, or is it Random?

You write orders for both the witch and familiar in advance and the turn order is random. This is the same way it works with hired native leaders, they get their own order token that is drawn each round.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

LeSquide posted:

Meet ya there day four!

Pretty sure Dwarf is on board. Otherwise I have a lot of walking to do to get to any caves.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Ohhh, that's the House way up there, I thought for a moment it was the Guard Post. Well, regardless, The White Knight has pretty much no antagonism planned, my current goal is to collect treasure until someone pulls the Garb of Speed. Then my first priority is to acquire it through peaceful trade and my second priority is to acquire it.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

EclecticTastes posted:

Ohhh, that's the House way up there, I thought for a moment it was the Guard Post.
Me too 🙁. I was pretty stoked for 30 seconds...

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Just waiting for orders from the Witch and the Woods Girl.

The Nabster and Bacon in a Wok please submit your orders so we can keep this game moving!

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
Rogues follow the Woods Girl.

Woods Girl - Hide, Hide, Move Borderlands 2, Move Borderlands 3.

Combat actions to depend on what monsters show up at end of day.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Day 2 Results:

Please note, I had to take some liberties given the orders that were submitted. I always tried to honor the intention of the player while making the best legal moves available.

The Sorcerer moves first, climbing up into the Misty Mountains via High Pass. When he arrives at the mouth of the pass he pauses to ready conjuring magic (VI6*).
Feeling safe up in the heights of the pass, away from the Lost City, the Sorcerer risks an open fire to keep him warm; unfortunately, as night falls the light is spotted by goblin lookouts and a war party emerges from the Mines of Moria and surrounds the Sorcerer.
The Sorcerer recorded a hide phase here as well but didn't have enough phases to get up into the mountains of High Pass, which requires two move phases, and hide. I opted to alert the type VI chit, giving the sorcerer a guaranteed melt into mist.
Move (Borderlands 2), Move, Move (High Pass2), Alert, Six Axe Goblins Arrive!

The Witch's Familiar, having been instructed to spy upon the Sorcerer, arrives soon afterward but keeps to the shadows, away from the Goblins and telepathically communicates the plight of the Sorcerer back to the Witch.

The Witch sneaks off after the Black Knight to the Lost City and readies black magic in case a suitable creature arrives for her to absorb.
A group of goblins armed with great swords and the tremendous octopus awake in the depths of the Lost City.
Here, I added the rest phase because I was instructed to alert a chit for absorb essence but the Witch had no type V spell chits unfatigued.
Rest (Magic V5*), Alert (Magic V5*), Move (Borderlands 2), Hide (Succeeded) The giant octopus arrives in clearing 6 and six great sword goblins arrive in clearing 5.

The Black Knight decides Borderlands is getting too dangerous and decides to head back to the Inn to rest and await the arrival of his friends, the Company.
The Inn is a less rowdy place then usual as the Patrol shows up. The Black Knight decides to keep to his room, he isn't looking for any trouble.
Move (Dark Valley 5), Hide (Succeeded), Hide, Hide The Patrol arrive at the Inn.

The Witch Queen places a purple candle on a rotten stump and lights it with a magical spark. She starts chanting and the woods pulse with purple magic. The trees and undergrowth shift and the paths change; the Witch Queen floats off down the new path toward the Deep Woods.
This is one of the cooler features of Magic Realm's board, you can enchant tiles, flipping them, and the paths change, opening up new routes. Also, now that the forest is enchanted, it provides gold magic for anyone in the hex.
Spell Prep, Spell - enchanted Linden Woods, Hide (Failed), Hide (Succeeded), Move (Linden Woods 5).

The White Knight peers out from the trees at two banshees wailing their cursed song. He shivers and crosses himself, then readies his morningstar before cautiously approaching.
Hide (Succeeded), Hide, Alert (Morningstar), Move (Curst Valley 5)

The Woods Girl finishes off a plate of sticky and delicious barbecue ribs before leaving the comfort of the Inn and sneaking into the Lost City where she saw a giant bat that she might be able to hunt. Unfortunately, the scent of fresh cooked meat follows her and wafts over to the patrolling goblins and giant octopus who quickly surround her.
Sorry, Woods Girl, the two failed hides in a row was some bad luck, the giant octopus is too quick to run from (it's all those sticky tentacles wrapping around you)... it doesn't look good.
Hide (Failed), Hide (Failed), Move (Borderlands 2), Move (Borderlands 3) The giant octopus and goblins move to clearing 3 and block the Woods Girl!

The Dwarf continues day 2 of negotiating for the helmet ("Come on, it's dented, can't you do a friend a favor?!?") to no avail.
The poor Dwarf gets two "No Deal" results today.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Would that Octopus make a good target for Absorb Essence?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheNabster posted:

Tremendous size and Speed 4, so, my educated guess would be that it's at least a solid pick. The Tremendous Flying Dragon is likely the best of the bunch, though.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

TheNabster posted:

It's not bad at all. Especially if you have Remedy and can break the spell to Absorb something better if need be. It's also great for hunting light characters like the Woods Girl or Elf, because it's really hard to run away from without a Broomstick available. Granted, the Woods Girl doesn't look long for this world right now.

The gold standard absorb targets are the Tremendous Troll (deadliest single monster in the game) and the Tremendous Flying Dragon (flight on command).

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

TheNabster posted:

Sure! Sadly (for the Woods Girl) you are not in the same clearing as it tonight.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Goblins! What luck! Fiery blast all night. Hopefully they won't stab me too much before I kill them.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Goblins! What luck! Fiery blast all night. Hopefully they won't stab me too much before I kill them.

*drapes towel over arm, straightens bow tie* Fiery Blast do you say, tut tut, not a great year, almost certain death, may I suggest Melt Into Mist instead?

Roll four dice, if you get a six, you die, otherwise, you live for another round. The situation would be much different if you had enough phases to hide before entering High Pass. Without a type VI chit alerted you wouldn't be able to cast Melt into Mist at all.

disperse fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 10, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

*drapes towel over arm, straightens bow tie* Fiery Blast do you say, tut tut, not a great year, almost certain death, may I suggest Melt Into Mist instead?

Roll four dice, if you get a six, you die, otherwise, you live for another round. The situation would be much different if you had enough phases to hide before entering High Pass. Without a type VI chit alerted you wouldn't be able to cast Melt into Mist at all.

To break this down into hard probability, this is a 66% chance of death by goblin. :eng101:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Thank you for the warning. Bravely Wisely run away 1 clearing so I can try to hide and move in again next turn.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
Seriously? Seriously?

I guess I loving die.

(For those keeping track at home, roughly 1.6% chance of something like that happening, between two Hides both failing and the Octopus plus a whole mess of goblins happening to show up.)

Thanks ever so much for hosting.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Bacon In A Wok posted:

Seriously? Seriously?

I guess I loving die.

(For those keeping track at home, roughly 1.6% chance of something like that happening, between two Hides both failing and the Octopus plus a whole mess of goblins happening to show up.)

We aren't playing sudden death so there isn't much in the way of a penalty. You restart at the Inn with a bow and 10 gold. You lose 2 days and your two hired rogues. You also have the option of trying a different, unclaimed, character if the Woods Girl isn't working for you.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Thank you for the warning. Bravely Wisely run away 1 clearing so I can try to hide and move in again next turn.

You don't have to run away, just turn into mist and wait for combat to end in the clearing. This gives you a chance to hide and alert a magic chit next day so you can fiery blast goblins from hiding.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Bacon In A Wok posted:

Seriously? Seriously?

I guess I loving die.

Oh, the Woods Girl can have one of her rogues lure the octopus and then she can run with her L2 move chit, she can survive!

disperse fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 10, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, the goblins aren't a threat to the woods girl. And my doomsaying is wrong--I forgot you picked up a hireling to feed to the squid.

And yeah. Sometimes ~*~*~*~*~Magic Realm~*~*~*~*~ just happens to you. If anything, it's much better to die early in the month, while you still have a chance of winning with a fresh character.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

You don't have to run away, just turn into mist and wait for combat to end in the clearing. This gives you a chance to hide and alert a magic chit next day so you can fiery blast goblins from hiding.

I thought I had to leave the clearing for combat to end. That sounds muuuch better. Do that please.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Evening orders please

I already have orders from the Sorcerer and White Knight. I need to know if any of the magic users are casting spells tonight. Also, if the Black Knight is attacking the Patrol (this would likely be unwise).

Finally, the Woods Girl should tell me whether the hired rogues should try and take out a goblin or two or aim for the giant bat as they 'distract' the giant octopus and allow her retreat.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

No spells.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
No Kamekazi-ing

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Evening 2 Results:

I think Bacon in a Wok may have done the digital equivalent of flipping the table, so I'm going to push on without him for now. If anyone wants to take over the responsibilities for the Woods Girl, please let me know.

The Sorcerer considers unleashing a wave of fire on the goblins that surround him then, sensing danger, melts away into mist.

The White Knight sneaks up on the banshees, hoping to battle them one at a time.
The ghost doesn't flip and the White Knight undercuts it with his alerted morningstar, one down!

The second ghost swoops in, and she's angry! The White knight ducks behind his heavy armor and slowly begins swinging the heavy ball and chain, which is now un-alerted. This is the crucial round, the White Knight can't undercut the ghost and there is a 1 in 3 chance the ghost swoops in and damages his armor and gives him a wound. He sets up like this...

...and the ghost swoops right over his head.

The White Knight, his helmet dripping with ectoplasm, now has the ball and chain up to speed, spinning around and around over his head. He swings...

...and connects!

Result: +6 Notoriety, he gains a nickname, which the locals whisper behind his back: 'ghost buster.'

The Woods Girl is surrounded and it doesn't look good as the giant octopus' tentacles reach out to wrap themselves around her. At the last possible moment she shoves one of her two hired men into its jaws, orders the second swordsman to engage with one of the goblins, turns and runs.

The second swordsman fails to connect with the swift goblin...

...and despite his best efforts to get away, the octopus' tentacles wrap tightly around his companion, lifting him from the ground!

The end comes swiftly, one swordsman is surrounded by goblins and then plucked into the sky by the giant bat.

The remaining swordsman struggles valiantly in the giant octopus' grasp; but, in the end, he is dragged into its maw and devoured.

Result: -4 Notoriety

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Please PM me your day 3 orders

You can find the HTML export of the board here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I think I only get 2 actions like in a cave, right?

So alert a type IV chit and hide as discussed.

• Locked thread