Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
M Y

S I S T E R S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

LLSix posted:

I think I only get 2 actions like in a cave, right?

So alert a type IV chit and hide as discussed.

It costs 2 actions to move into a mountain clearing but, once there, you have four phases to act like normal.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hmm, got a couple of ways I could go then, but this seems the most likely to kill everything. Does this make sense?

1) Hide
2) Hide again to make sure I get that first attack from hiding
3) alert a type IV chit so I can undercut the goblins in the second round with a second fiery blast if any are left alive
4) Alert a type VI chit to escape if somehow both me and at least goblin are still alive (use mist form to run away to another borderlands clearing to safely spend a turn or two unfatiguing chits and re-enchanting them.)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Phew, my plan worked! I played enough Realmspeak that I was confident in what I was planning, I'd have likely been screwed if the ghosts had flipped, but I knew the odds of it happening weren't especially high from having had some firsthand experience with the game. Time to plan for Day 3, and I was even lucky enough not to get wounded!

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

LLSix posted:

Hmm, got a couple of ways I could go then, but this seems the most likely to kill everything. Does this make sense?

1) Hide
2) Hide again to make sure I get that first attack from hiding
3) alert a type IV chit so I can undercut the goblins in the second round with a second fiery blast if any are left alive
4) Alert a type VI chit to escape if somehow both me and at least goblin are still alive (use mist form to run away to another borderlands clearing to safely spend a turn or two unfatiguing chits and re-enchanting them.)

If you don't hide the first time, you'll be blocked immediately and the rest of your actions will be cancelled. There is no reason to record two hides.
Also, melt into mist is a permanent spell so you won't have to re-cast it, just make sure you have some purple magic available to activate it (this can be done instantly, no need to alert a spell chit).

You can rest the type IV chip you fatigued last round and use the sorcerer's free spell phase to enchant more purple magic, then alert a type IV chit to be ready for a fiery blast from hiding.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Guess I'm sticking around the Inn and hoping for the Company to show :\

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

LeSquide posted:

If I were you, I'd just hire some Rogues and wander off to find some dosh.

You have to hire the Company as a group (same with any natives other than the Rogues and the Order), and even a Price x1 Hire is 16 gold. You'll need startup capital.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

If you don't hide the first time, you'll be blocked immediately and the rest of your actions will be cancelled. There is no reason to record two hides.
Also, melt into mist is a permanent spell so you won't have to re-cast it, just make sure you have some purple magic available to activate it (this can be done instantly, no need to alert a spell chit).

You can rest the type IV chip you fatigued last round and use the sorcerer's free spell phase to enchant more purple magic, then alert a type IV chit to be ready for a fiery blast from hiding.

Sounds good. I'm so bad at this. Thank you for helping.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LeSquide posted:

I'm still on schedule to be in the Borderlands by Day 4, now that I'm not getting murdered by ghosts. Hide your way in and we can link up, assuming nothing terrible spawns on top of me (luckily my morningstar is fast enough to deal with most of the enemies big enough to seriously hurt me, but there are still several monsters capable of getting me, so let's hope it doesn't come to that). I figure we should meet up at the Pool, but I'll have to do the action math on that to see if I can get in there with an alerted weapon by Day 4 or if I'll need to postpone to Day 5. If I can swing it, I'd ideally be hidden, as well, but really, as long as my weapon is alerted, the octopus is toast.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm still on schedule to be in the Borderlands by Day 4, now that I'm not getting murdered by ghosts. Hide your way in and we can link up, assuming nothing terrible spawns on top of me (luckily my morningstar is fast enough to deal with most of the enemies big enough to seriously hurt me, but there are still several monsters capable of getting me, so let's hope it doesn't come to that). I figure we should meet up at the Pool, but I'll have to do the action math on that to see if I can get in there with an alerted weapon by Day 4 or if I'll need to postpone to Day 5. If I can swing it, I'd ideally be hidden, as well, but really, as long as my weapon is alerted, the octopus is toast.

I think I am missing something. How are you going to get into the Borderlands by day 4. It's 17 clearings away by my count. Do you have some way to treat the overpasses as intersections? Is the enchanted forest going to unenchant?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bouquet posted:

I think I am missing something. How are you going to get into the Borderlands by day 4. It's 17 clearings away by my count. Do you have some way to treat the overpasses as intersections? Is the enchanted forest going to unenchant?

It's only four clearings away. Down through Linden Woods, which connects into Borderlands 1.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Gutter Owl posted:

You have to hire the Company as a group (same with any natives other than the Rogues and the Order), and even a Price x1 Hire is 16 gold. You'll need startup capital.

Ah, that's another case of my poor rules understanding. In that case, I'll move to Borderlands 2, and Hide x3.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

One common strategy is for the Black Knight to sell his armor (17 + 7) and then hire the Company for price x2; however, it isn't a horrible idea to head off and try and get some money first.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

What's up? I want to see if I bought a drat helmet yet! (Please reallocate all 5 of my victory predictions to Helmet Buying, thanks!)

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

It's only four clearings away. Down through Linden Woods, which connects into Borderlands 1.

Not any more, the Witch Queen took care of that!

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Sounds good. I'm so bad at this. Thank you for helping.

I'm going to interpret your intentions as: Hide, Alert (Magic IV for Fiery Blast), Rest (Magic IV4), SPX, Spell(Enchant more Purple Magic), let me know if this seems OK.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Bouquet posted:

What's up? I want to see if I bought a drat helmet yet! (Please reallocate all 5 of my victory predictions to Helmet Buying, thanks!)

Sorry for the delay, everyone! I have pretty much all of the moves in except for Bacon in a Wok who seems to have dropped out, presuming the Woods Girl deceased, and EclecticTastes submitted invalid move commands due to the Witch Queen enchanting the paths. I'm hoping to run Day 3 this afternoon.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Day 3 Results:

The Sorcerer moves first (again), hiding from the axe goblins after becoming corporeal in the morning light and quietly resting up and preparing magic for the evening.
Hide (Success), Alert (Magic IV3*), Rest (Magic IV4*), Spell Prep, Spell (Enchant Magic IV4* into purple magic)

The Black Knight tires of waiting at the Inn for the company to return from battle and cautiously heads into the busy and dangerous Borderlands.
Move (Borderlands 2), Hide (Fail), Hide (Success), Hide

The Witch Queen floats through Maple Woods and into Curst Valley. The White Knight feels a chill as the dark queen's shadow falls on him from the bridge above.

Move (Maple Woods 2), Move (Maple Woods 4), Move (Curst Valley 4), Move (Curst Valley 1)

The Dwarf continues, slowly, haggling with the Guard, now for a dented soup pot that he think would work as a helmet in a pinch...

...but the price they ask is much too high. The Dwarf begins to wonder if the Guard are his friends after all.
Trade (Price x 4, declined), Trade (Price x 4, declined)

The White Knight alerts his morningstar, just in case, and heads down the path through Linden Woods that he is sure leads to Borderlands...

..."Huh?!? I'm sure there was a path that led to the West from here." Suspecting magical trickery, the White Knight sits down to rest as the evening approaches.
As the sun sets the White Knight hears rattling and hissing as two large and venomous snakes slither out from the trees:

Alert (morning star), Move (Curst Valley 2), Move (Linden Woods 4), Move (Linden Woods 2, cancelled move: no path), Rest (Move T6*)

The Witch's Familiar is reluctant to follow the Witch's telepathic orders but obeys, leaving the mountain pass to return to Borderlands, heading for the caves beneath the Lost City.
Move (Borderlands 2), Move (Borderlands 3), Peer, Peer

The Witch decides to escape the dangers of Borderlands flies northeast to Curst Valley, landing just across the bridge from the Witch Queen.

Fly (Curst Valley), Rest (Magic V5*), Spell Prep, Spell (Enchant Magic V5* into black magic), lands in clearing 4

The Woods Girl, after her brush with death runs south as fast as her legs will carry her, only stopping when the road ends, there she stops, panting.

And there she'll stay until Bacon in a Wok returns or someone claims responsibility for her.
Move (Borderlands 2), Move (Dark Valley 5), Move (Dark Valley 2), Hide (Fail)

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Evening Orders:
I need combat orders from the Sorcerer who is hidden with a stack of six axe goblins:

and the White Knight who is unhidden with two vipers:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Fiery Blast. Fiery Blast Again. Loot and/or run away like a little girl in mist form one clearing. I'm aware the second fiery blast is foolhardy, but I really just want to kill something and the opportunity cost for dying right now isn't that bad.

Uh, put me in the middle column for fighting if they live that long I guess.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Evening 3 Results:

The White Knight squares off against a pair of vipers, venom dripping from their fangs:

Unfortunately, the snake he is targeting squirms away through the underbrush while its brother sinks its fangs into the White Knight.

Now, with only one immediate threat, the White Knight advances on the hissing viper, morning star spinning over his head.

One snake down!

The White Knight wades into the underbrush trying to chase the other snake down.

He feels it slither by his ankles but is unable to connect his morning star with it.

The White Knight hears hissing behind him and finds the viper rearing up and ready to strike.
He whips the morning star around his head and launches it at the snake, smashing it before it can bit him:

Result: +3 Fame, +6 Notoriety, Fatigued Move T6*, Wounded Move H6, Armor Damaged

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Where are the evening 3 results for the Sorcerer?

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Evening 3 Results (continued):

The Sorcerer sneaks up behind the goblins who are currently searching the clearing for him. "He drifted off that way," one snarls.
As he begins weaving purple magic into the spell he prepared he can't help but quip "Hey, ugly, right here!"
The goblins spin around, but too late:

The goblins are engulfed in flames, one goblin, the leader who spoke earlier, dives away and emerges from the ashes singed and coughing, but otherwise unharmed.
The remaining goblin charges the Sorcerer but a second Fiery Blast is already on his lips:

And this time, the goblin doesn't escape the flames.

Result: +21 Fame, +21 Notoriety, and the new nickname "Goblin Roaster"

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Day 4 orders please!

You can find the HTML export of the current state of the map here.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sweet, that rocked!

Okay, it looks like there's no treasure, but there is another group of monster's who'll come bash my face in if I don't move or hide, right?

I'm thinking hide x1, rest magic IV x3. Plan on shooting this new batch from hiding once and then fleeing back to safer, more profitable areas via mist form if they don't all die in the first pass. Does that make sense?

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Sweet, that rocked!

Okay, it looks like there's no treasure, but there is another group of monster's who'll come bash my face in if I don't move or hide, right?

I'm thinking hide x1, rest magic IV x3. Plan on shooting this new batch from hiding once and then fleeing back to safer, more profitable areas via mist form if they don't all die in the first pass. Does that make sense?

Yes, that stack of spear goblins looks rather tasty to the sorcerer. Record a couple spell phases as well to re-enchant some people magic. You could also sneak over to the goblins but it will take two move phases to climb up those mountains.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Buy Helmet x2

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Yes, that stack of spear goblins looks rather tasty to the sorcerer. Record a couple spell phases as well to re-enchant some people magic. You could also sneak over to the goblins but it will take two move phases to climb up those mountains.

It takes 2 phases to enchant the first color magic and I only get 1 free spell phase right? So my options are either 3 magic IV chits available & my 2 current purple magic chits or 1 magic IV chit and 3 purple magic chits. Either way I only get 1 fiery blast attack before needing to melt into mist away and I'd rather have more magic IV chits available than more purple magic chits available.

I'm also thinking the goblins will come to me since that's what the last ones did? That's why I'm hiding instead of turning one of the three rested chits into purple magic.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Witch Queen meets Witch.

Nothing like a convivial meeting of Witches.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

I'm also thinking the goblins will come to me since that's what the last ones did? That's why I'm hiding instead of turning one of the three rested chits into purple magic.

The goblins will move to you if they are prowling: a monster roll of 3. So 1 chance out of 6. It isn't a terrible idea to spend a turn resting but you may need to move to them.

disperse fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 22, 2016

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Borderlands 3 is the only in-Hex clearing I can move to, correct?

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LeSquide posted:

The Black Knight is currently in Borderlands 2 which is connected with Borderlands 3, High Pass 2, and the Inn.

You can go to the map and hover over the clearings to see the numbers.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

The goblins will move to you if they are prowling: a monster roll of 3. So 1 chance out of 6. It isn't a terrible idea to spend a turn resting but you may need to move to them.

I need a few rest turns anyways. I'm going to stick with my plan.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LeSquide posted:

Just waiting on orders from the Black Knight and I'll run day 4...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oh, right, naturally, I'll be a bit late to my rendezvous with you, Black Knight, I'm sure it was completely unintentional, but the Witch Queen caused a bit of a detour for me.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Urgh. I guess I'll just hide x3 and move to Borderlands 3. I'm really at a loss for what I can do that's actually useful. My apologies for holding up the turn.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

LeSquide posted:

Urgh. I guess I'll just hide x3 and move to Borderlands 3. I'm really at a loss for what I can do that's actually useful. My apologies for holding up the turn.

You could join me for goblin killing fun while we wait for the white knight.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LeSquide posted:

That stack of monsters in Borderlands 3 could actually be a lot of Fun with the Sorcerer and the White Knight / Dwarf joining you. As it is, you don't have a strong enough weapon to kill the giant octopus. It is tremendous and unarmored and the most damage the mace can do is heavy. Are you planning on moving through the stack to the caves? You could try and grab a few treasures from the Pool while waiting; however, it is potentially dangerous as a monster roll of 3 will bring all the goblins and the octopus to visit.

Let me know if that's what you want to do.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Trying to move through was indeed my plan, but if the Sorcerer would like a friend I'll come hang out and hunt gobbos. Hide x 3 and then move to high pass 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Day 4 Results

After peering east at the goblins playing some sort of game with the head of one of the Woods Girl's rogues while the giant octopus devours the other and a giant bat shrieks overhead the Black Knight decides it is a nice day for a hike and heads up into High Pass to join the Sorcerer.

Hide (Fail), Hide (Success), Move (High Pass 2)

The Sorcerer spends the day resting and cleaning goblin soot off of his white robes.
Hide (Fail), Rest (Spell IV3*), Rest (Spell IV3*), Rest (Spell IV4*)

The Witch's Familiar hisses and yowls but, at the Witch's insistence, she sneaks down around the edges of the deep pool beneath Borderlands to see if she can catch a glimpse of the octopus' treasures.
Move (Borderlands 6), Peer (Nothing)

The Witch sneaks off into the ruins to see what she can find.
She sees bones all around that look like they've been chewed on by some sort of large animal and down the road a ways she sees a dragon lair!

Fortunately, the monsters are all off hunting and the ruins are quiet, for now.
Hide (Success), Hide, Move (Ruins 5), Search

The Witch Queen sighs in relief as she leaves the sunlit roads of Curst Valley and drifts down into the caves beneath Borderlands disappearing in the inky blackness.

Hide (Success), Move (Borderlands 5)

The Dwarf, now desperate to purchase any sort of extra head protection is reduced to haggling for a dented water bucket.
GHQ: "It has sentimental value."
Dwarf: (frustrated) "It has a hole in it!"

I feel for the Dwarf here, that's 8 failed Trades in a row!
Trade (No Deal), Trade (No Deal)

The White Knight sighs, resolved to going the long way around after the Witch Queen's trickery, and prepares himself to enter the Deep Woods.

When he arrives he hears the pattering of many (too many!) feet and in the distance sees piles of rocks that may contain hidden treasure:

That's the treasure location Cairns underneath that tremendous spider. You need to fatigue a chit each time you loot for treasures. (Picture that you're moving big stones, to find the treasure hidden underneath.)
Hide (Fail), Alert (Morning Star), Move (Linden Woods 5), Move (Deep Woods 1), Rest (Move H6*)

• Locked thread