Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This looks interesting. I'll try to read up on the rules today and pick a character. Probably something simple and smashy or maximum magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I think I'll go with the sorceror and try teaming up with EclecticTastes. If you can't trust the White Knight who can you trust?

If I understand the magic rules right I need 3 things to cast a spell.

1) The spell. I start with 3 and can learn more or acquire items that have spells in them. When I cast a spell, the spell is not used up.

2) A magic chit of the same type as the spell. The chit is used up/fatigued when the spell is cast?

3) A color magic chit of the same color as the spell. The color magic chit is fatigued when the spell is cast. Magic chit's can be converted into a matching color magic chit. Color magic chits can also come for free from enchanted areas/some sort of world magic pool but this is less(?) common.

Is that right? How many magic chits does the sorceror start with?

You get fatigue chips back by taking the rest action. So I imagine spellcasters usually spend half of their time resting to get their magic chits back.

Edit: I'm thinking fiery blast, melt into mist, and enchant artifact for starting spells. My understanding of Enchant artifact is that it basically lets me enchant an item, get one of the things I used to cast the spell back, and then I can cast that spell once a day forever through the artifact for a net gain of 1 additional chit free assuming I would have cast the spell I enchanted.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 30, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Victory point assignment:

Spells: 1 points (need 2 spells)
Fame: 2 points
Notoriety: 2 points
Gonna kill monsters and learn all the spells.

Starting spells:

Fiery blast, melt into mist, and enchant artifact.

5 school IV chits enchanted as a magic chit please.
This leaves me with the fastest chit to cast my basic attack spell with. I'll have to rest casting it once, but I think I'll save time in the long run by refreshing fatigued magic chips and still having some color chits ready.

Starting location:

Inn.
The Sorceror doesn't get a choice.

Where you want to take your starting equipment from:

N/A

Your preferred method for instant communication:
PM, email, IRC

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 1, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Spoilered advice regarding VP choices: I'd recommend taking 1 VP in spells at most the Sorcerer can only learn type IV and type VI spells which are hard to find. You can spend gold to learn one of each from the Warlock if you can find him. But other than that you are looking for one of two spell books or one of two artifacts out of 70+ treasures spread across the board. Take more Notoriety, if you team up with an armored character like the Black Knight or Amazon then you can Fiery Blast native groups for lots of Notoriety.

I was thinking that the two books both have 4 spells and I'd probably either get one of those and learn 4 spells or I wouldn't get any spells learned at all. I'll take your advice though and edit my post.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

You can enchant type IV spell chits into purple magic but type VI spell chits do not turn into color magic.

I - White, II - Grey, III - Gold, IV - Purple, V - Black

Type VI, VII, and VIII spell chits cannot be enchanted into color magic.

Oh, I see. My type VI spells use purple magic too. Hmm, guess I'll enchant all but one of my type IV chits then and expect to rest to refresh them before casting a second fiery blast. I'll be hanging out with other players so that might work well.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is that chit in the borderland in a connection between clearings? Could that be a treasure chit or is it guaranteed to be monsters because of where it is placed?

Bacon In A Wok: Want to try for that possible treasure chit in Lindenwoods 2 borderlands with me?

edit: thank you\/

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 3, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Bacon in a Wok, LLSix, and TheNabster please PM me your day one moves.

Thanks!

I was waiting on Bacon in a Wok. Orders sent. Since I'm not friendly with any dudes at the inn I guess I'll go pick a fight solo and see what happens.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

This handy cheat sheet suggests the bat is too dangerous for me so I guess I'll let it be.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 5, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Yes, if you had an alerted type VI magic chit then you could fiery blast the bat from hiding and then melt into mist if the fiery blast misses.

As it is, if you fail to kill the bat, roughly a 1 in 3 chance, then you will be unable to cast your melt into mist spell and the bat will kill you.

I guess it's to late to use my spare spell phase to alert a type VI chit?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Goblins! What luck! Fiery blast all night. Hopefully they won't stab me too much before I kill them.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

*drapes towel over arm, straightens bow tie* Fiery Blast do you say, tut tut, not a great year, almost certain death, may I suggest Melt Into Mist instead?

Roll four dice, if you get a six, you die, otherwise, you live for another round. The situation would be much different if you had enough phases to hide before entering High Pass. Without a type VI chit alerted you wouldn't be able to cast Melt into Mist at all.

Thank you for the warning. Bravely Wisely run away 1 clearing so I can try to hide and move in again next turn.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

You don't have to run away, just turn into mist and wait for combat to end in the clearing. This gives you a chance to hide and alert a magic chit next day so you can fiery blast goblins from hiding.

I thought I had to leave the clearing for combat to end. That sounds muuuch better. Do that please.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I think I only get 2 actions like in a cave, right?

So alert a type IV chit and hide as discussed.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hmm, got a couple of ways I could go then, but this seems the most likely to kill everything. Does this make sense?

1) Hide
2) Hide again to make sure I get that first attack from hiding
3) alert a type IV chit so I can undercut the goblins in the second round with a second fiery blast if any are left alive
4) Alert a type VI chit to escape if somehow both me and at least goblin are still alive (use mist form to run away to another borderlands clearing to safely spend a turn or two unfatiguing chits and re-enchanting them.)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

If you don't hide the first time, you'll be blocked immediately and the rest of your actions will be cancelled. There is no reason to record two hides.
Also, melt into mist is a permanent spell so you won't have to re-cast it, just make sure you have some purple magic available to activate it (this can be done instantly, no need to alert a spell chit).

You can rest the type IV chip you fatigued last round and use the sorcerer's free spell phase to enchant more purple magic, then alert a type IV chit to be ready for a fiery blast from hiding.

Sounds good. I'm so bad at this. Thank you for helping.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Fiery Blast. Fiery Blast Again. Loot and/or run away like a little girl in mist form one clearing. I'm aware the second fiery blast is foolhardy, but I really just want to kill something and the opportunity cost for dying right now isn't that bad.

Uh, put me in the middle column for fighting if they live that long I guess.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Where are the evening 3 results for the Sorcerer?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sweet, that rocked!

Okay, it looks like there's no treasure, but there is another group of monster's who'll come bash my face in if I don't move or hide, right?

I'm thinking hide x1, rest magic IV x3. Plan on shooting this new batch from hiding once and then fleeing back to safer, more profitable areas via mist form if they don't all die in the first pass. Does that make sense?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Yes, that stack of spear goblins looks rather tasty to the sorcerer. Record a couple spell phases as well to re-enchant some people magic. You could also sneak over to the goblins but it will take two move phases to climb up those mountains.

It takes 2 phases to enchant the first color magic and I only get 1 free spell phase right? So my options are either 3 magic IV chits available & my 2 current purple magic chits or 1 magic IV chit and 3 purple magic chits. Either way I only get 1 fiery blast attack before needing to melt into mist away and I'd rather have more magic IV chits available than more purple magic chits available.

I'm also thinking the goblins will come to me since that's what the last ones did? That's why I'm hiding instead of turning one of the three rested chits into purple magic.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

The goblins will move to you if they are prowling: a monster roll of 3. So 1 chance out of 6. It isn't a terrible idea to spend a turn resting but you may need to move to them.

I need a few rest turns anyways. I'm going to stick with my plan.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

LeSquide posted:

Urgh. I guess I'll just hide x3 and move to Borderlands 3. I'm really at a loss for what I can do that's actually useful. My apologies for holding up the turn.

You could join me for goblin killing fun while we wait for the white knight.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Okay Black Knight, we can go kill goblins or we can start moving towards the loot the witch queen is sitting on. I'm leaning towards the goblins since we can get to them this turn.

In case we do decide to go after the goblins I think my orders would have to be something like move x 2, hide, enchant tile. Disperse, if I enchant the tile, would it still be connected to the borderlands?

Can I enchant a tile at night?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Enchanting the tile will fill the hex with purple magic which will energize your melt into mist spell and prevent you from doing anything but float around and make spooky noises.

Ha ha, that'd be pretty funny and a good reason for me to never enchant a tile. That spell is a lot trickier than I realized. I guess I'd have the same problem with a purple magic artifact too?

disperse posted:

Hide, move, move, alert fiery blast is what you are looking for.

Close, but I'd rather use the Black Knight as a meat shield.

Hide,
Move,
Move,
Rest type IV magic

LeSquide, I think you'd rather have me do this too since it means I'll need less time to rest before the next fight. Although I'll probably need at least one down turn soon to re-enchant magic anyways.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

You'll want an alert phase recorded so you can undercut the goblins, which are move 3. Otherwise you'll only hit 1/3 of them with your fiery blast.

I was counting on the hide phase for that, but that's not guaranteed and I probably won't get them all with the first one anyways. You make a good point.

Hide
Move
Move
Alert magic type IV

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Fiery blast twice (and then be completely out of mana). Hide behind the black knight like the cowardly archer I am until combat is over.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What's that gold square next to us? I can't read it.

I'm guessing its a bad idea to hang around in the clearing with a "howl."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sorry Black Knight, but I need to spend 2-3 turns stationary to get my magic back. Be happy to meet up with you/white knight after that.

Rest magic IVx3
Enchant magic IV to purple

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Restx2
Enchantx2

Anyone want to meet up in Borderlands 2 next turn prior to taking a shot at the crazy mass of monsters the turn after that?

I'd be tempted to go visit the scholar, but I think I need more gold before I have a real chance of buying anything from him.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Move to borderlands 2
Hide

Can I cast melt into mist on a monster and get it off me? Would that end the combat if the monster is the last one standing? Can any of those monsters be hurt with fiery blast?

That was a pretty sneaky smart turn Witch Queen.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Yes, that would work; however, it is a permanent spell and you already cast it on yourself. You're better off casting a fiery blast from hiding and then using melt into mist to get away.

They're all heavy and armored and the fiery blast does L*** damage which means it does L** or H damage against armored creatures (the armor removes one sharpness star).

That means you need a result of 3 or less on the missile table (no change, increase one level, increase two levels) on two dice: (1,1 1,2, 1,3 2,1 2,2, 2,3 3,1 3,2 3,3) or about a 1 in 3 chance for each baddy.

The goblins are medium and unarmored and are killed by a fiery blast on any result except a 6 which is a 2 in 3 chance.

Worth a shot then to try to give the dwarf somewhere to go. You still up for this LeSquide?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I think there's a bat in my clearing?

If that's the case I think I want to fiery blast it and then if it is still alive go mist form(what's the speed of activating a permanent spell?) and stay put to try again next time.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Activating a permanent spell is instantaneous and goes before any combat actions.

You will not be able to undercut the bat as you don't have type IV magic alerted. That means you'll have a 1 in 3 chance of hitting the bat followed by about a 50% chance of dealing enough damage to kill it (You need a 4 or less on the highest die.)

I thought attacking from hiding gave a free round?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Yes, it's perfectly safe, you can fiery blast and then melt into mist before the bat gets a chance to bite you. I'm just warning you that your chances of killing the bat are low.

That's fine. Thank you for the warning. Sticking with my plan as posted.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Want me to come give you a hand Bouquet?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I won't steal your thunder then. Good luck with the Dragon.
hide
Move to borderlands 5
Rest a magic IV chit

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Sorcerer: do you want to fiery blast the dragon, trolls, and snakes?

Just waiting on you before we can move on to Day 10.

That sounds like a fantastically bad idea. I think I'll stay hidden.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sorry, I thought I'd posted actions already.

Hide
Move To Bordrerlands 5 (takes 2 actions?)
Rest magic IV

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

No action
Shoo Dragon, shoo.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Presumably you'd like to Melt into Mist so you aren't turned into dragon chow?

How'd I leave the other hex if I failed my hide roll? Shouldn't I have been blocked from moving in that case?

If I'm really hidden then yeah, melt into mist and run as far towards the White Knight as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Move to Curst Valley 1
Move to Curst Valley 4
Hide
Use my 4th action and my free spell phase to enchant a magic IV

• Locked thread