Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Poring over the rules at present but this looks fun as hell, gimme the White Knight so I can kill brutes and get loots.

EDIT: Matter of fact, I'm gonna flesh this guy out based on how I read the rules. I'm not just The White Knight, but rather:

Sir Toffington of the Unburdened Mind

Sir Toffington is the simple sort, he adventures to right wrongs and fight evil, with a secondary goal of making friends with as many other adventurers as possible. He highly respects the opinion of the Order, but tends to be slightly more skeptical of the Lancers, given their somewhat erratic endorsements. Sees The Black Knight as a worthy rival, the Company's dislike is completely one-sided.

Opinions on the other characters:

The Berserker: "Perhaps he's a tad... passionate, but he's strong as an ox, and the Lancers vouch for him, so he's probably pretty okay!"

The Dwarf: "He's a hardy fellow, and an invaluable guide down in the caves."

The Captain: "A decorated military commander, clearly a man of integrity and prowess!"

The Black Knight: "Ah, my rival and counterpart, I see no need to shed each other's blood when we can compete with our accomplishments!"

The Amazon: "A highly adaptable warrior, able to fight up close or at range, perfect for a skirmish."

The Pilgrim: "The cleric, the knight's natural ally, anyone so well-respected by the Order is a friend of mine!"

The Wizard: "I'm sure the Lancers are just overreacting, you seem a lot nicer than the other guy. I'll put in a good word for you."

The Druid: "The Order may distrust you, but you don't seem to mean any harm, so I'll not disturb you."

The Woods Girl: "There's nobody I'd rather have along on a trip into the woods."

The Sorceror: "I'm not sure I like the cut of your jib, but just about everyone deserves a chance."

The Witch King: "Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!"

The Witch: "Oh, how evil could she be, she even has a pet! There must have been some sort of misunderstanding."

The Elf: "Let's... just agree to leave each other alone."

The Swordsman: "I'd prefer him as a friend, but if he insists on robbing people..."

The Magician: "Don't you worry, I'll protect you from the eagles!"

Self-Imposed Goals:
-To not just win, but ensure as many other players win as possible, as well (except The Witch King, obviously)
-To score higher than The Black Knight, without ever fighting him (if he's in play)
-Ensure The Pilgrim never dies (if he's in play)
-Help The Wizard become Friendly or better with the Lancers and also convince him to even bother doing so (if he's in play)
-Kill a Tremendous Dragon, with or without backup

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

disperse posted:

Making the Wizard Friendly with the Lancers is extremely difficult. You would have to convince the Wizard to go out of his way to pick up either the Raid or Revolt campaign chits (paying 8 fame or 35 notoriety respectively). The campaign chits increase your relationship with your partners in the campaign by two levels which would bring the Wizard up from Enemy to Neutral. If he then bought drinks for the Lancers then he would be Friendly with them, at least for an evening. I have never seen this happen.

Sir Toffington doesn't really understand logistics. Plus it gives me an excuse to hang out with The Wizard who seems like a rad guy who won't turn me into a squirrel.

So, I think I understand the basics of the combat system, but I haven't really looked over the tables for randomizing enemy actions, and I have a feeling the probabilities involved there might influence strategy. That said, I think the way it goes is:

-Pick a red box for the enemy to go in.
-Put a movement chit on a maneuver (optional)
-Put a fight chit on an attack
-Randomness happens and enemies move and/or flip over
-If there's an enemy in the red box corresponding with your attack, you hit, and if there's one in the box corresponding with your maneuver, you get hit, otherwise enemies hit you if their attack speed beats the speed of your movement chit, and you hit them if your fight chit's speed beats their movement speed
-Resolve hits
-Repeat until combat ends

Is that about correct? I mean you also pick a weapon to use and such but I think this is approximately correct for "character vs. enemies".

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Wow, I've been trying to play in Realmspeak, and I gotta say, I'm glad I'm probably going to be partnered with more experienced players, because I'll need all the help I can get. I'm guessing the White Knight should be capable of surviving fights on a consistent basis, and so far that hasn't really been happening, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I mean, I need to get my Hiding game up I guess, but even then, enemies just seem to wreck me without me being able to do much, so I could use the advice on how to best utilize the first few turns.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I've been using a save on Day 1 to sort of play around with strategies since I found myself a single turn away from a Tremendous Dragon and child, but the game tells me I don't have a fast enough Fight chit to play to ready my Greatsword in the prebattle. I mean, obviously the solution is to Alert it beforehand, but why does that happen? How fast is fast enough?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Having played in Realm Speak for a little while longer, just sort of save scumming through to get a feel for the game's systems, I think I've got a good handle on things. Some of my observations after trying out a lot of the content:

-Peace is both insanely powerful and a hell of a troll.

-Magic Sight is good for getting the last couple treasures out of a site, since it pops on three. Plus, if you have an artifact with a spell you can learn on it, the chance to Perceive Magic isn't so bad.

-The top three treasure draws for the White Knight (excluding items like the Lucky Charm, which are good for anyone) seem to be the Garb of Speed, Sacred Grail, and Crypt of the Knight, though the Gauntlets of Strength are necessary to get the most out of the Bane Sword (the T5/T3 horse being the best Move WK can get). For solo play, getting the Sacred Statue and Good Book with Make Whole, Peace, and Exorcism between them (having Peace on both is ideal) also helps immensely.

-Getting that Morningstar was a great idea.

-Gold is a bad VP if you like keeping your treasures.

And some questions I have where I'm having trouble finding the relevant spot in the rulebook to explain it again:

-Even up to a single sharpness star (which my armor negates), I seem immune to L damage, and I'm wondering why that is. By that point I had a couple layers of armor, so that may have contributed, not sure.

-Using my horse to maneuver seems to just make it so I don't take damage, and judging how enemy horses die when struck, I'm assuming that my massive T horse can only be killed if caught with T damage, and the T Armor (which I had at the time, it came with the horse) prevents anything from becoming T damage that isn't T already (since no NPC has two stars on an H), and naturally, I can just kill anything that does have T damage without it hitting. Is that about right?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

That would be rule 8.5.3:

Warhorses are extremely powerful, they are Tremendous and armored and don't accumulate wounds. Two things to watch out for: horses are deactivated in cave clearings and tremendous monsters, even those who don't deal T harm, will lift you off your horse if they hit you.

Ah, I see! I noticed the cave thing, but not the bit about Tremendous monsters (by the time I realized the true power of the Horse, I had the Cloak of Mist and Timeless Gem, so I was always able to gank the big guys before they could attack). Also, good to know Armor protects me from L damage, it'll make fighting goblins less daunting (though, I'll obviously want to keep a fast weapon on hand to deal with them). While I'm here, I kept poking around but Ctrl-F wasn't helping, the book mentions extra phases from horses, but I don't recall getting any extra phases from my horse, what's up with that?

Just, for the record, I played somewhere around ten straight months for the sake of exploring the board and getting to know the nuances of the system. Learned about some pitfalls (like how, even with the Magic Wand and Lucky Charm ensuring you roll 1, it's still a bad idea to transform yourself into a Dragon while carrying the Dragon Essence), got an idea of what enemies I should hunt and which treasures I should seek out for myself, along with what distribution of VP will work best for my playstyle. All in all I'm going in with a lot more confidence, though I'm sure a more experienced player could probably run circles around me. That's why I'm opting to play a mostly cooperative game, rather than going aggressive, that and I just prefer being chill and murdering dragons with some rad wizards and archers and stuff.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Gutter Owl posted:

Rule 7.3.2, Riding Horses covers it. Short version
  • Warhorses don't provide extra phases. Just enjoy your Tremendousness.
  • Workhorses let you record one extra phase a day.
  • Ponies let you record an extra move phase for each non-pony move phase you take.

Yeah I'm good riding my T Horse, especially one that's Speed 3 (seriously Crypt of the Knight owns).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Gutter Owl posted:

Also, I would like to point out this gross injustice. The Black Knight often spends his game griefing or killing anyone without a sufficiently large army or sufficiently pointy ears. And the Sorceror mostly burns down native dwellings for kicks. The Witch King is a stand-up ghost by comparison, and completely innocent.

This raises a good point, by the way. Sir Toffington would be happy to help The Witch Queen reform her evil ways, if she so chooses! :hist101: (I mean, you're already helping me out as it is)

But, maybe stay hidden around the Chapel...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

We're pretty much out of simple and smashy. The Captain is the last warrior character we have and he's more of a 'hire the Soldiers and sit back and command from a distance' kind of guy. The Sorcerer definitely qualifies for 'maximum magic' and isn't too complicated. You'll want to pick up Melt into Mist and Fiery Blast and find groups of goblins/wolves to blast from hiding before turning to mist and floating away. If the Sorcerer teams up with an armored character he can also take on native groups.

To add to your advice to LLSix, a few things I noticed during my cram session:

-Schools IV and VI (the two the Sorceror specializes in) use Purple for casting pretty much exclusively (a single spell in VI uses Black).

-The Dragon Essence, an artifact that emits constant Purple to everyone in the same clearing as it, also acts as a constant spawn point for Dragons, making it dangerous.

-Sir Toffington is good at killing Dragons.

Come hang out with me and The Pilgrim, then all we need is a thiefy-type character like Woods Girl and we'll be a classic adventuring party! Sort of! :buddy:

I mean, we'll probably want to spread out a little while exploring, but it'll be much safer if we raid treasure sites together. We'll be able to kill anything that spawns rather than having to hide from the enemies that represent our respective weaknesses, which will let us spend more time looting. Plus, there's safety in numbers, which should help cover up our inexperience.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LLSix posted:

I think I'll go with the sorceror and try teaming up with EclecticTastes. If you can't trust the White Knight who can you trust?

If I understand the magic rules right I need 3 things to cast a spell.

1) The spell. I start with 3 and can learn more or acquire items that have spells in them. When I cast a spell, the spell is not used up.

2) A magic chit of the same type as the spell. The chit is used up/fatigued when the spell is cast?

3) A color magic chit of the same color as the spell. The color magic chit is fatigued when the spell is cast. Magic chit's can be converted into a matching color magic chit. Color magic chits can also come for free from enchanted areas/some sort of world magic pool but this is less(?) common.

Is that right? How many magic chits does the sorceror start with?

You get fatigue chips back by taking the rest action. So I imagine spellcasters usually spend half of their time resting to get their magic chits back.

Edit: I'm thinking fiery blast, melt into mist, and enchant artifact for starting pells. My understanding of Enchant artifact is that it basically lets me enchant an item, get one of the things I used to cast the spell back, and then I can cast that spell once a day forever through the artifact for a net gain of 1 additional chit free assuming I would have cast the spell I enchanted.

Okay, I'll try fielding the questions, in order to help reinforce my own learning of the system.

1. Yeah, this is right. You can get more spells my Reading Runes at treasure sites or on spell-bearing artifacts (the latter action is required to unlock the spells in the items, as well, and you'll sometimes get a result where you both "Awaken" the spell, meaning unlocking it for the item, and Learning it at the same time, which gives the spell to you if you're able to cast it). Take care, as Reading Runes can cause you to get Cursed, but between you and the White magic casters backing you up, we'll have ways to break curses in the field fairly early. You can also buy new spells from certain Visitors, if they have something you could cast. Also, if you have Magic Sight active (such as from World Fades, the one spell from VI that requires Black magic), Searching can turn up a result of Perceive Spell, which lets you peep the spells on all artifacts and treasure sites in your clearing, and learn the spell instantly.

2. Yeah, the chit's used up, but you can Rest to get it back. Every artifact that comes with spells can be used as a Magic chit once per day for one of the schools it gives access to, which makes them quite useful, even for non-casters. I made good use of Transform in the Scroll of Alchemy (the School VI spell artifact) when slaughtering the Company single-handedly.

3. You can enchant chits for color magic, and yes, certain locations provide color magic (the Toadstool Circle provides Black once uncovered, while the Chapel provides White), and there's one artifact for each color that provides a constant amount of it to anyone in the same clearing (however, the Grey one has Tremendous weight, the Purple one has the aforementioned Dragon issues, the Gold one you can see in disperse's WIP and it's not pretty, and the Black one is suicidally bad, adding 1 to all rolls anyone in the same clearing makes, which basically means abandon it in a clearing with nothing important in it and never stay in that clearing again unless you really need to cast World Fades), and every seven days, the whole board gets hit with Gold, Purple, Grey, or both Black and White.

You start with six School IV chits of varying speeds (lower number next to the chit type means faster speed when used during combat) and three School VI, also with different speeds.

Technically, there's a way for the someone with School IV to temporarily change chits for IV and VI into chits for VIII and V (respectively, IV becomes VIII and VI becomes V), but it's far more useful for The Magician and The Witch Queen, who can actually learn spells of those other schools. I wouldn't worry about it, IV and VI are extremely powerful schools. Transform is particularly incredible if we can find the Magic Wand artifact (it lets the holder choose how one of the dice lands when they cause a magical effect with a random element, like Transform, so you can always turn enemies into helpless toads), but browse around, it gets pretty nuts.

One thing to keep in mind: Permanent spells last forever as long as there's color magic being pumped into them.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 30, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

[*]Fame: You gain fame from killing monsters and from certain treasure cards. For each point assigned to this category you need to accumulate 10 fame. Monster hunters should invest heavily here.
[*]Notoriety: You gain notoriety from killing monsters and natives or from certain treasure cards. For each point assigned you need to accumulate 20 notoriety. You gain equal amounts of fame and notoriety for killing monsters so pure monster hunters should assign twice the number of victory points in fame as notoriety. (2 points in fame for each point in notoriety)

I recall that a ton of Treasures give negative Fame while comparatively few give negative Notoriety, though, so they won't likely be perfectly equal. Plus more Treasures give Notoriety than Fame.

Also, if you want to accumulate gold quickly, the Bashkars have a ton of horses and literally can't harm anyone with a warhorse and suit of armor. You can solo them without taking a single wound, or even fatiguing a chit if you get lucky and match the tactic. It'll take a while, but still, aim for BHQ and the horses are yours. Horses are worth a ton of cash compared to most items, you see, so you can loot them all and then go sell them to your preferred group of other Natives for a sickening profit. Though, make sure they've summoned the Warlock already first, so you don't block him from getting on the board.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I sent my VPs via PM since I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be secret. Anyway, I will start in The Chapel and my starting spell will be Make Whole, no enchanted chits because that's just a waste. My starting gear only comes from the one place, so no choices there.

TheNabster posted:

Starting spells:

My starting set of stats don't have any magic stats to them, do I still do this?

The Witch begins play with three spells of Schools II, V, and/or VIII. You can only generate Grey or Black with your current chits, though you can use the Witch's Brew spell to convert your II chits into IV chits with which to generate Purple, and your VIII chits into III chits with which to generate Gold. You could theoretically cast spells from school III or IV with those chits, but you'd need Treasures with the relevant spells and it would take two chits, one for color, one for casting. Basically Witch's Brew is not really a "starter" spell but it can be invaluable once you pick up a wide variety of magic, as II and VIII use several colors. Now, I can't tell you for sure what three spells to pick, but here are some thoughts on the magic available to you, based on my newbie experience:

-Prophecy is amazing on paper, I got the Timeless Gem while playing in Realmspeak, it has the same "do your turn in real time" effect and it's rad as gently caress. However, it costs Purple, so it's not a practical spell for The Witch.

-Blend into Background looks like a great defensive measure, giving you a free bonus Hide attempt in a pinch, while Stones Fly looks like a great way to clear out lots of smaller enemies, and it can wound the hell out of a single Character, assuming they're unarmored.

-GET ABSORB ESSENCE. I can say that confidently because Disperse put it right there in the description. Plus it lets you tool around in a monster body and have good combat stats.

-Broomstick greatly increases your mobility, letting you move between hexes in one action, though it prevents you from taking anything too heavy along with you and I'm pretty sure being in a big monster's body prevents you from using it.

-Power of the Pit can do horrible things to opposing characters, but rolling a result of Blight is, I believe, instant death for you, and NPC enemies aren't as vulnerable to it. I wouldn't, if I were you.

-Bad Luck is the ultimate dick move, but also a good way to paint a target on your forehead.

-Deal with Goblins can net you some fairly pesky allies that can at least serve as chaff while you find a way to cheese it, but you'll need cash to hire them.

-Guide Spider or Octopus relies on monsters that aren't especially common, as far as I'm aware, but the Tremendous ones can both put some serious hurt on if used properly.

-Poison is probably useful if you want to make heavy use of hired Goblins, but that sounds like a tricky gimmick strategy that wouldn't be friendly for new players.

-Remedy is good for mitigating the ill effects of Reading Runes, especially since The Order doesn't like you (and they live at The Chapel, making it dangerous for you to be there), and you can cast it on your allies, if you choose to have any.

-Whistle for Monsters can be used as a dick move to mess with other players, or, if you're in a party or just confident in your skills, you can summon monsters to where you are and your team can murder them without having to roam around hunting.

If I had to make a suggestion, like, gun to my head, I would say Absorb Essence, Remedy, and Blend into Background. Maybe Broomstick instead of Remedy for a more proactive build rather than defensive, but then your VIII chits are going to waste.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'm just glad I got two out of three right, figured you guys would correct me on the other stuff.

So, thus far it looks like Andarel and LLSix are joining Team Jolly Co-operation:darksouls:! I also put out an open invitation to almost everyone else, particularly Bacon In A Wok because then we got the D&D party make-up going, but the other casters are also welcome to hide behind me while I murder up some enemies (though the Berserker, Dwarf, and Black Knight need friends, too). Naturally, to the Black Knight I issue only a "Good luck" and a "May the best knight win".

Team strategy notes:

-My first order of business is getting the Morningstar. If I roll well, I'll get x1 on the price and just buy it outright, but getting x2 is fine, I'll just trade in my Greatsword. I require the 3 Speed if I'm gonna kill big enemies consistently (a lot of big enemies are Speed 4). This means I'll want to spend at least a couple phases in the Chapel Trading before setting out, to ensure I get that decent roll.

-If I do get the x1 price, The Pilgrim can borrow my Greatsword whenever he wants. Figure he won't want to carry it all the time since he's got a lot of Medium chits, but if we're expecting big, slow company, having both of us well-armed would be useful. On the other hand, if he decides to buy the Great Axe from The Order instead, I'll carry it for him when he's not using it if he wants. Also, any other H-coded treasure, I'm happy to carry for my lighter allies.

-My personal request for The Pilgrim's starting spell is Exorcism. I love Peace, but I'd rather have it on the Good Book/Sacred Statue since it's the sort of spell I'd want to see a lot of. It may seem like hoping for specific treasures is a long shot, but with so many people on the board, it stands to reason that the various groups will each raid different treasure sites, and then we can all trade with each other to get the treasures we want the most.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Stelas posted:

Aw, poo poo, I'm sad I missed this starting up (but not really, my time's short for a while) but I'm definitely going to watch. It looks wonderfully impenetrable.

Hey, now, if you binge Realmspeak for twelve hours straight, constantly reloading when something goes horribly wrong so you don't have to start over from scratch, you'll have picked up the basics, no sweat. :shepicide:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LLSix posted:

Oh, I see. My type VI spells use purple magic too. Hmm, guess I'll enchant all but one of my type IV chits then and expect to rest to refresh them before casting a second fiery blast. I'll be hanging out with other players so that might work well.

I would recommend leaving both of your IV3 chits available, they're your fastest spellcasting chits, allowing you to undercut all of the enemies I'll be seeking out. And without The Pilgrim, we'll need to be pretty careful until we can find the Sacred Grail, Sacred Statue, and Good Book to give me full access to White Magic, at which point things will become much easier. If we get the Dragon Essence, that will also make things a lot easier, as you'll be free to use all of your Magic chits for casting. I'll carry the Dragon Essence, at least until I can cast Exorcise, since the Essense provides Purple magic to everyone in the clearing, and, if you carry it, any Permanent spells you cast on yourself will be literally permanent, because the only way to turn such spells off is to deprive them of their color, or cast one of a couple spells that dispel magic. Like, if you were to cast Melt into Mist on yourself while carrying the Dragon Essence, you'd be stuck as mist until I could cast Exorcise. With me carrying it, you can just spend a turn in a different clearing. I think.

Anyway Bacon In A Wok and/or Corbeau, wanna join Team Jolly Co-operation?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheNabster posted:

Just out of interest, where can I find what I actually start with in the rulebook. I'm a bit confused on what I actually have available starting out.

What you start with is on your character card, immediately above your trading relationships (Ally, Friendly, etc.), in italics, right after "Must start at the Inn".

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

The Black Knight is, for instance, pretty good at taking out heavy snakes and trolls, but useless against tremendous dragons and the octopus. If you could team up with the Dwarf (who is great at killing tremendous dragons) and the Sorcerer (who can take out stacks of goblins efficiently) then you'd be in pretty good shape.

The White Knight is also willing to help you kill a dragon, he doesn't dislike The Black Knight, he just feels a certain need to outdo him as a point of professional pride and would actually rather he not get eaten by an overgrown lizard. I'm headed your way to link up with The Sorceror, anyway, so we can do some "Legolas and Gimli at Helm's Deep" stuff if you want. Hell, if you don't mind it being an underground hex, I'd be down to raid the Pool with you, the octopus ain't poo poo against a T chit delivered via morningstar and my free Rests make the Pool an ideal looting ground for me, but lighter enemies are a threat until/unless I find the Garb of Speed so I could use someone with better skill against middleweight foes.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LeSquide posted:

I'm game for trying to survive the hex together! How soon can you get your shining armor down here?

Well, I could be there by day three, day four if the LZ is hot, requiring a Hide or Alert.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Ohhh, that's the House way up there, I thought for a moment it was the Guard Post. Well, regardless, The White Knight has pretty much no antagonism planned, my current goal is to collect treasure until someone pulls the Garb of Speed. Then my first priority is to acquire it through peaceful trade and my second priority is to acquire it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheNabster posted:

Would that Octopus make a good target for Absorb Essence?

Tremendous size and Speed 4, so, my educated guess would be that it's at least a solid pick. The Tremendous Flying Dragon is likely the best of the bunch, though.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

*drapes towel over arm, straightens bow tie* Fiery Blast do you say, tut tut, not a great year, almost certain death, may I suggest Melt Into Mist instead?

Roll four dice, if you get a six, you die, otherwise, you live for another round. The situation would be much different if you had enough phases to hide before entering High Pass. Without a type VI chit alerted you wouldn't be able to cast Melt into Mist at all.

To break this down into hard probability, this is a 66% chance of death by goblin. :eng101:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Phew, my plan worked! I played enough Realmspeak that I was confident in what I was planning, I'd have likely been screwed if the ghosts had flipped, but I knew the odds of it happening weren't especially high from having had some firsthand experience with the game. Time to plan for Day 3, and I was even lucky enough not to get wounded!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LeSquide posted:

Guess I'm sticking around the Inn and hoping for the Company to show :\

I'm still on schedule to be in the Borderlands by Day 4, now that I'm not getting murdered by ghosts. Hide your way in and we can link up, assuming nothing terrible spawns on top of me (luckily my morningstar is fast enough to deal with most of the enemies big enough to seriously hurt me, but there are still several monsters capable of getting me, so let's hope it doesn't come to that). I figure we should meet up at the Pool, but I'll have to do the action math on that to see if I can get in there with an alerted weapon by Day 4 or if I'll need to postpone to Day 5. If I can swing it, I'd ideally be hidden, as well, but really, as long as my weapon is alerted, the octopus is toast.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bouquet posted:

I think I am missing something. How are you going to get into the Borderlands by day 4. It's 17 clearings away by my count. Do you have some way to treat the overpasses as intersections? Is the enchanted forest going to unenchant?

It's only four clearings away. Down through Linden Woods, which connects into Borderlands 1.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oh, right, naturally, I'll be a bit late to my rendezvous with you, Black Knight, I'm sure it was completely unintentional, but the Witch Queen caused a bit of a detour for me.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I have a new recommendation based on recent developments, first, some notes:

1. The Pool is underground, meaning half actions for everyone but the Dwarf if we try to loot it. Plus successfully nabbing an item requires a chit to be fatigued as it's dragged from the depths.

2. Sir Toffington can rest one each round for free, which means one free go at the Cairns each turn (or, in my original plan, one free item score each turn at the pool, assuming the rolls cooperate).

In light of these facts, I'm gonna murder my way to the Cairns and loot it down to three items (when the rolls become a pain in the rear end), maybe two if I'm feeling lucky or think the #3 item's gonna be really choice. I might go for more if I get a Treasure that makes Searching easier, but that's an edge case. Then, I'll lug the haul over to you guys and pass out the party favors (since I'm pretty sure I'm gonna find at least one or two items that you guys could make better use of). Well, if I find the Dragon Essence (constant source of Purple for everyone in the same clearing as it), I'm gonna hang onto it, both because it acts as a spawn point for Dragons, and because if you Melt into Mist (or any other Permanent spell that disable's one's inventory) while carrying the Dragon Essence, you're stuck in that form indefinitely, until someone casts a dispel on you, because the color energizes the spell every turn, whether you want it to or not. But aside from that, I'm probably gonna be handing out a fair bit of the haul unless I get phenomenally lucky.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

Miracles.

Holy poo poo. That was too close. Still prayin' for the Garb of Speed. Well, onwards and upwards.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

With the Deft Gloves, Sir Toffington is officially a looting machine. I've only just gotten started, mind, so I don't yet have any goodies to distribute, but at this rate, I'm sure to find something someone else can use more effectively than I can.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, by the way, does anyone have any Type-III Magic chits? Found something that would be useful for anyone who can get gold magic. Not sure if the Witch can or not, but anyway it's available.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bouquet posted:

This didn't seem to work:

Am I missing something?

Your Fight chit's speed is too high (meaning slow) to hit the trolls. You need to have your weapon Alerted to gain an override number, if the weapon has one.

EDIT: Oh, also you can only hit the enemy you target, so the troll you're lined up with wasn't even attacked.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 3, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

Just waiting on the Sorcerer and Black Knight, I'll just have the Black Knight continue searching for that helmet unless he tells me otherwise. (Is there any way to follow or watch threads on this forum? If so, let me know.)

Click the star in the corner of the thread to bookmark it, it'll show updates in the control panel.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheNabster posted:

I don't think I'm actually allowed into the Chapel, so I best remedy up.

If you find the Holy Grail (it generates white magic), bring it over to me and I can cast my heal spell on ya.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

Hmm, that doesn't have anything to do with the 50 fame reward you get when turning the Holy Grail in to the Order does it?

Nah I'm good with it being 1 Great Treasure that also supplies me with an incredible source of healing for anyone I want.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Yeah, if you can't pop off an Exorcism (only possible if you're the Pilgrim or a phenomenally lucky White Knight, or get an even more phenomenally lucky combination of spell-bearing item and contained spell), demons are bad news and it's often better to just amscray. Oh and I guess if you have the Magic Wand you can mitigate the danger (it lets you choose the main spellcasting die's result rather than rolling, and actually affects enemy spells as well as your own due to a quirk of the rules), but it's still pretty bad.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

Hmm, the flying demon has a speed of 3 so it's too fast to run from. If any one else has any ideas about how the Witch best gets through this encounter, let me know.

Given Nabster's initial lack of knowledge regardng the Demon and being a first-time player, it might be fair to just let him take back his call of troll and instead slip away while still hidden, but that would hinge on not having already input the order into the program, so I don't know if it's still a possibility. Otherwise, yeah, just hope for the one-in-three miracle hit to kill the demon, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

He's not hidden. :(

Oh. Oh no. Well, I can give him that spell-bearing ring I've got when he respawns, I mean it needs gold magic to function, and the "provides clearing with gold magic" artifact is, as seen in your own playthroughs, pretty impractical (though, actually, using it to power items rather than your own spell chits is much better, because it doesn't cause the "cast spell, pass out and lose next turn" effect), but at least it's something.

• Locked thread