Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I've got a friend who's always trying to get our group to play this but we're always too scared. I think this is the only way I'm going to learn it as long as people are willing to answer my dumb questions. If yes, I'll take the Dwarf. Seems like he should just beeline to a cave and hang out there for a while, which doesn't sound too complicated...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

disperse posted:

There's no need to all be online at the same time. I'm toying with the idea of using some sort of instant messaging client for battles, if I have quick questions while I'm running battles it may speed things up if I can message you.

If you've never tried Slack, it's a pretty nice irc alternative for these kinds of things. Clients on every platform and everyone has the entire chat history available regardless of online status at the time.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Did I miss the map? Don't we need that before we can choose starting area, etc.?

I've got PMs, email, irc as rapid communication options that generally work.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 30, 2016

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

The Dwarf
Start at: Guard house

PMing victory points.

I'll provide the contrast with the cooperators, since the Inn seems mighty full already and no one else can start at the Guard House.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Stelas posted:

Aw, poo poo, I'm sad I missed this starting up (but not really, my time's short for a while) but I'm definitely going to watch. It looks wonderfully impenetrable.

It's not too late* to grab the Wizard and join the Dwarf in delving too deep. I have very little clue so I won't care if you screw up!

* May actually be too late??

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

LeSquide posted:

Meet ya there day four!

Pretty sure Dwarf is on board. Otherwise I have a lot of walking to do to get to any caves.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

EclecticTastes posted:

Ohhh, that's the House way up there, I thought for a moment it was the Guard Post.
Me too 🙁. I was pretty stoked for 30 seconds...

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm still on schedule to be in the Borderlands by Day 4, now that I'm not getting murdered by ghosts. Hide your way in and we can link up, assuming nothing terrible spawns on top of me (luckily my morningstar is fast enough to deal with most of the enemies big enough to seriously hurt me, but there are still several monsters capable of getting me, so let's hope it doesn't come to that). I figure we should meet up at the Pool, but I'll have to do the action math on that to see if I can get in there with an alerted weapon by Day 4 or if I'll need to postpone to Day 5. If I can swing it, I'd ideally be hidden, as well, but really, as long as my weapon is alerted, the octopus is toast.

I think I am missing something. How are you going to get into the Borderlands by day 4. It's 17 clearings away by my count. Do you have some way to treat the overpasses as intersections? Is the enchanted forest going to unenchant?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

What's up? I want to see if I bought a drat helmet yet! (Please reallocate all 5 of my victory predictions to Helmet Buying, thanks!)

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Buy Helmet x2

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Never give up, never surrender!!

Buy helmet x 2

:) At this point it is kind of just morbid curiosity to see how long it takes.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Fat Samurai posted:

Why is the Dwarf so obsessed with the helmet?

1. Dwarf strategy guides pretty much say, "Buy a helmet, go to caves." For my first game ever I didn't want to innovate a ton.
2. When I realized I only had a one in three chance each time of buying the helmet and that this was supposedly my optimal move, I started feeling like Magic Realm might have a little more randomness than I like in my games.
3. When I saw that the initial board setup put me far from all but one tile with caves (keeping in mind I can only move two clearings per turn), my too much randomness feeling went up a notch. (Caves is 3.5 turns of uninterrupted movement, Caverns is 4.5. Uninterrupted movement seems rare.)
4. Then the caves closest to me randomly got mega monsters, with a strong chance of monsters I couldn't easily beat (bats) on the route there. Don't forget that hiding has a 1/3 chance of failure, takes one of my two actions for the turn, and doesn't last into future turns.
5. Ok, I'll team up with some other dudes. Hmmm, a different player flipped a tile on the route one of the potential teammates needed to take and now he's randomly cut off for an unknown period of time. Also the potential teammate's not believing my attempts to tell him about this route change.

Since it seemed like the only way I could officially win at this point was if everyone else had bad luck and died (which doesn't seem like a real exciting way to win) I decided to make my own goals.
1. Buy a helmet.
2. Kill at least one monster.
3. Not die.
4. Tell my friend with the physical (print and play) copy of the game that's never been played that I'm pretty sure I'm going to always vote for a different option (Mage Knight, Civ, something new) on the extremely rare occasion we have a full day to play a game.

edit: If I can manage #3, maybe I'll even win!

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Dwarf

Buy Helmet x 2 :black101:

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

disperse posted:

The day6 board in high quality is here.

Much easier to read stuff not in a clearing now, thanks!

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

So, uh, how bad are the Dwarf's odds vs 2 bats? Because I just realized it is physically impossible for me to go anywhere except Linden Woods 2 without fighting the bats in Borderlands 1.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Move (Linden Woods 2), Hide

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Hide
Move Borderlands 1

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I can just stay hidden, right?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Alright, staying hidden this combat, since running away only puts me back where I started.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Ok, so now I actually have to understand the rules. :)

I am contemplating the following orders: Move to Borderland 6, Alert Great Axe.

1. I don't think the bats in Borderland 1 can block me if I don't end a phase there.
2. Then I would have to fight some scary monsters.
3. The tremendous serpent is not too bad, because he is speed 4, length 0 and my great axe is speed 4 when alerted, length 5. If I fight him in the first round the weapon length determines who goes first. If I happened to fight him in a later round with an alerted great axe I would still go first because attack time would tie and the longer weapon length would break the tie. So if I fight the serpent with an alerted great axe I can kill it with the weapon chit which does H harm and is sharp.
4. The tremendous dragon is pretty scary. In addition to himself, he's got a chit for his head, which is speed 4, length 9. He undercuts everything I've got except the Duck chit at T3*. He's not only tremendous, he's armored, which means I can only hurt him with one of my TX fight chits added to the great axe's H*.

So I think I could duck the dragon's head in the first round and kill the serpent. Does the dragon get a second shot at me in addition to his head?

I'll stop there for the moment just in case I am building on a bad assumption somewhere along the way.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Alright, the other direction I could go leads to Bashkars, who are unfriendly and have a chance to kick my rear end or make me lose nonexistent points. I'd rather go down swinging at a dragon! :black101:

Hide, Move to Borderland 6

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

It seems like I either make my hide roll and can ambush the dragon and things go fine from there or I fail my hide roll, get blocked by the bats and get pecked to the death. If you want to be part of team cave exploration until we find something good and inevitably turn on each otherpart in friendship and peace, that's cool though.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

The Dwarf is going to fight!

I'm going to continue the "talk through everything you are doing" approach.

1. Don't lure anything, activate helmet.
2. First round of combat, alert axe, which does not remove hidden and does not require a ton of thought about which chit to use because there are no denizens on his sheet.
3. Combat continues because there has only been one round where nothing happened.
4. Second round, use alerted axe and T6* Fight chit to kill dragon, undercutting it thanks to the alerted axe's speed of 4. Harm is sufficient due to H of axe, sharpness countering armor, and T chit bumping axe to T.
5. Fatigue one chit because I used two *.
5. Second round is done.
6. Third round, serpent is assigned to dwarf because he is no longer hidden.
7. Dwarf uses H4** Fight plus unalerted axe to kill serpent, undercutting it thanks to axe's superior length when speeds of 4 tie. Harm is sufficient due to H of axe and sharpness bumping it to T.
8. Fatigue a chit because I used two *.
9. Combat over.
10. Next daylight phase, I can use one Rest action to unfatigue both chits because the dwarf is a superior rester.

Did I miss anything?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

disperse posted:

The T Snake is armored, other than that it looks pretty good. I don't think there is any reason to wait until round 2 to kill the dragon but it doesn't matter much either way.

Do I automatically go first in a surprise round? I looked for that rule in Magic Realm in Plain English and didn't see it.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Great! I do all those things.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Bouquet posted:

1. Buy a helmet.
2. Kill at least one monster.
3. Not die.
4. Tell my friend with the physical (print and play) copy of the game that's never been played that I'm pretty sure I'm going to always vote for a different option (Mage Knight, Civ, something new) on the extremely rare occasion we have a full day to play a game.

Look out geographically illogical world, I'm halfway to (self-defined) victory!

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I'm away from easy rules access atm, do I need to specify Search (Locate) separately from Search (Loot)?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

LeSquide posted:

Me: Search x4
My Dude: Search x4

IF THE DWARF CAN HAVE A HELMET, I CAN TOO
Beware, Dark Knight! Ye olde helmet repository is surely curst, for it produceth naught but slop buckets and heartache.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

By my math (1-((35/36)^8)) he's got about a 20% chance per turn.
I had a (1-((2/3)^2)) = 56.6% chance per turn.

I think that math is right...

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I think my best plan is to use H4** plus axe length to undercut one of them round one, hope I don't die to the other one's attack, then repeat H4** on round two. If one of them flips over to the H5 side that's actually better for me because in that case I can use my T3* duck and an H5* attack first round and an H4** round two.

Sound right?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

disperse posted:

In round 1 the length advantage of the great axe will cause you to strike first so you can use a fight with no asterisks (H6) in smash and cover your duck maneuver.
This didn't seem to work:

Am I missing something?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Ok, so I've run the simulation a bunch of times and haven't seen either scenario you mention (first round H6 lining up with target and winning due to length or 2+ round H5* lining up with a flipped target).

I don't want to hold things up any longer, so here's my strategy:
1. Play Duck T3* as my defense every turn.
2. Use H6 attack in smash round 1.
3. Use H5* attack in smash in future rounds if my target has flipped, otherwise stick with H6.
4. If only one of them has flipped, target that one.
5. Put my other helmet on if the first one gets busted.
6. Preferentially fatigue move chits over attack because the goal is to stay in this space until something cool is found.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

disperse posted:

The Dwarf twists his hips and gets all of his weight behind this swing hitting the troll waist high and sending its top half toppling over into the murky pool, it's a home run!
Result: +15 fame, +15 notoriety, fatigues Move T6**
Whew, that went better than almost all my tests!

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

disperse posted:

OK, thanks, but any way to get email notifications when there are new posts?
No. The only option for emails is when you receive a PM.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I think my strategy is even simpler this time:
2. Use H6 attack in smash.
3. Put my other helmet on if the first one gets busted.
4. Preferentially fatigue move chits over attack because the goal is to stay in this space until something cool is found.
5. Fatigue something if combat would otherwise end.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Do I roll on the Toadstool Table right now or that's one of my options on my next search?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

2. Use H6 attack in smash.
3. Put my other helmet on if the first one gets busted.
4. Preferentially fatigue/wound move chits over attack because the goal is to stay in this space until something cool is found.
5. Don't try to prolong the fight.

If anyone better at fighting faster monsters wants to join in on the never-ending parade of monsters and huge piles of loot in this clearing, you are welcome!

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Keep forgetting to look at the rules when I am at home. What can I actually do with my actions while I'm blocked?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Alright I will hide then rest so I can hopefully ambush one this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

LeSquide posted:

Any thoughts, Dwarf?

Sorry, out of town for weekend and phone posting. Dwarf has a hard time with all of them so whatever you can do is good.

• Locked thread