Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

tasslex posted:

I've always wanted to go to Comic Con but reading the OP definitely talked me out of it. Everything about this sounds horrible, from getting a badge to the lines, all of it. I sure wish I'd have done it in my early 20s when I had a higher tolerance for bullshit. I hope you all have fun!

You could always try one of the smaller comic cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

tasslex posted:

I've always wanted to go to Comic Con but reading the OP definitely talked me out of it. Everything about this sounds horrible, from getting a badge to the lines, all of it. I sure wish I'd have done it in my early 20s when I had a higher tolerance for bullshit. I hope you all have fun!

If I had started going to SDCC now instead of 7 or 8 years ago, and heard the hoops I have to go through all year (yes, all year) just for one weekend, there's no loving way.

When I went the first time, I bought tickets about 3 months before the show and could get tickets almost up until the first day. I didn't do hotelpocalypse because I had friends who lived in SD and parking could be pretty readily found.

Now I have two opportunities to MAYBE get a pass. Parking is a system of .... well, who the gently caress knows what they're doing this year. Hotelpocalypse is a nightmare of typing speed, reflexes, internet speed and luck. Literally the only time you aren't anxious about the whole thing is maybe a week before SDCC and a week after SDCC.

gently caress, why do I keep going again?

Also, I've got a group of three I'm trying to get passes for so i'm willing to team up but it can be a little squirrelly as we fill up an entire purchase.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RevKrule posted:

Also, I've got a group of three I'm trying to get passes for so i'm willing to team up but it can be a little squirrelly as we fill up an entire purchase.
It's kind of awesomely evil. You need to continually keep going, else you lose the chance for the super secret elite pre-registration sale.

And instead you're lumped in with the plebes when the site boots you into a 6 hour "waiting room", only to find out that the 30 tickets left sold out .0177 seconds after the thing went live.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

fwiw if you get one badge you have 2 because you can get a replacement. You might not want to stand next to each other at checkpoints though. Also it used to be like 60 for a replacement and now it's full price iirc

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Edit: I posted this in the wrong thread, because of course we're talking about Stan lee autographs in the movie thread...

... nothing to see here.

Shawn fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 20, 2016

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Alan Smithee posted:

fwiw if you get one badge you have 2 because you can get a replacement. You might not want to stand next to each other at checkpoints though. Also it used to be like 60 for a replacement and now it's full price iirc

I think the badges are RFID chipped now, so they can "deactivate" duplicates. Not sure what system they'll be using (if any) to ping badges, but something to be aware of if you are pulling something like this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I honestly have yet to see RFID used for any purposes

It's still just ocular checks as far as I've seen

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I'll see how my Australian Internet connection goes with the waiting room this year..

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Who wants to buddy up? I need a badge for myself and possibly sister and bro in law but I'm mainly looking out for number one here, haha. I'm shooting for Thu-Sat.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

May the odds be in everyones favor today.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
I want to get tickets for me and my brother, but he's working today. Is there any issue with having two waiting rooms open on the same computer using both our registrations? Would I need to use separate browsers or anything?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Separate browsers is smart because then you have different caches.

My internet went out. Thankfully I have tethering but gently caress comcast.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
My sister thought five minutes before 9 was a good time to try to get in the waiting room but couldn't access her email for any of the reg info. Wah wah sucker!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Happy 4am from Australia everyone. :morning: :morning:

Slothass
Mar 6, 2004
Does the blue circle spin the opposite way there?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Slothass posted:

Does the blue circle spin the opposite way there?

Don't be ridiculous.

...it spins the same way, it's just upside down.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Preview night sold out

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

Preview night sold out

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I guarantee they aren't actually sorry

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Saturday is gone.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
and Friday

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
bye bye Thursday

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

On a scale of 1 to heartbreaking, getting the sold out updates sucks but is at least better than finally being in a position to buy and realising they are all gone

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I appreciate that they didn't waste too much of my time this year, at least!

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

This is the first time my group hasn't gotten a single ticket, and I've been going since 2007 or so.This sucks, Con is my favorite event of the year.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
and sold out

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Oh well. I was trying to get a Friday or THursday badge for the spouse (I'm pro but since the spouse can't go all the days, I gave my pro guest pass to my buddy).

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

and sold out

:(

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I think someone in my group got in on the first group in. Lucky as poo poo. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten in with 5 shots.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Welp 3rd year in a row I didn't have any luck in registration. *Sigh* Wonder if they will do a resale for refunds, I think that's how I got Thursday and Sunday badges years ago. Sucks living in San Diego and not getting to get tickets.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I was the only person to get in for tickets with our group of 6.

Odd question: Has anyone had experience with or heard of them doing badge transfers? For example, if we have 4 days for memberID1, can we call them and get them switched to memberID2 instead? Since we already have the badges secured. We've transferred hotels, but never badges.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Got in with the ability to buy Thursday or Sunday passes. My buddy and I just opted for Sunday passes since we have work Thursday. Bummer was hoping for more days but at least I'll be able to check out the floor one day and get in the 2017 presale.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

I was watching two pools of friends this morning and not one of ~20 made it in. I'd be interested to see the numbers for how many people were trying this morning, does SDCC/Epic ever release that information? I'm totally stunned. I'd expect a bigger turnout every year but at what disparity?

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Thanks so much for posting this thread and all this info. I'm totally bookmarking it. This is my second year trying to get in and I got lucky and got in early enough to grab a full set of tickets. I've never been to a con (my first con will be the upcoming WonderCon) but I passed by the lines of people camping out for San Diego Comic Con two years ago and it looks rather daunting. I'd love to meet up with anyone else that may be going.

Also - I live about two hours away from the San Deigo Convention Center. Is it worth trying to get a hotel that is close (well, closer...) to the event?

Erev fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 20, 2016

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

On a scale of slim to none, what are my chances of maybe finding someone with a pro pass so wants to count me in on their entry?

I'm going to keep trying on the regular tickets, but I am really trying to go this year in light of health issues and I can feel the edge of desperation on the horizon.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a cock shaped fruit posted:

On a scale of slim to none, what are my chances of maybe finding someone with a pro pass so wants to count me in on their entry?

I'm going to keep trying on the regular tickets, but I am really trying to go this year in light of health issues and I can feel the edge of desperation on the horizon.

You can be my date for the comic prom

Assuming I can get anything. Pm me your member ID

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

...Welcome to registration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Erev posted:

Thanks so much for posting this thread and all this info. I'm totally bookmarking it. This is my second year trying to get in and I got lucky and got in early enough to grab a full set of tickets. I've never been to a con (my first con will be the upcoming WonderCon) but I passed by the lines of people camping out for San Diego Comic Con two years ago and it looks rather daunting. I'd love to meet up with anyone else that may be going.

Also - I live about two hours away from the San Deigo Convention Center. Is it worth trying to get a hotel that is close (well, closer...) to the event?

hey! You and me both! except it's 7 years and I'm definitely going to try to get a hotel

• Locked thread