Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I've just had my first :argh: moment - a conflict between business and pleasure. There's a panel that has good networking potential but it conflicts with The Killing Joke premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I've just had my first :argh: moment - a conflict between business and pleasure. There's a panel that has good networking potential but it conflicts with The Killing Joke premiere.
The Killing Joke is going to be screened in theatres later this month. Why not just go to that?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Because I'm ignorant and didn't know it would be in theaters later. Also, this way it's free.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

FilthyImp posted:

Why not just go to that?
Because Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill won't be there to talk about it

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Pretty sure I've used up all my con luck. My group got both Wednesday and Saturday Conan passes.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I got Saturday, too. Should have gone for Wednesday.

Weird, I wont be camping out early for Indigo on Friday this year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

We would've been happy with just Wednesday since that's honestly the one day that conflicts with absolutely nothing. The hall doesn't even open until after the taping is most likely over. It was a no brainer to go for it and even more of a no brainer when we got it.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dr Tran posted:

Weird, I wont be camping out early for Indigo on Friday this year.
Same boat. I can't stand Steven Universe even without singing, so I'm going to have to balance lining up to get a decent seat at Adult Swim while not spending an hour and a half or longer next to the seagulls to do so. This year is lame.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Business first. Most pleasure will wind up on YouTube and you're not getting a job from someone calling you a homosexual

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/2016/saturday

edit: I am so glad I picked Saturday for Conan. There's so little I want to see.

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 9, 2016

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Saturday is the day for MST3K, so it looks like that's the day I'll be cosplaying Mr. B Natural.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

If you haven't before, check out John Lewis in 23ABC at 10. The man is a living civil rights legend. I've seen him 2 times before and he's utterly enthralling.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Thanks for the heads up. Really mad at myself for missing his last two panels.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

And Sunday
http://comic-con.org/cci/2016/sunday

Edit: Only 3 things in Hall H on Sunday? This year is super weird.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 10, 2016

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Is there a comprehensive list or blog that has all artist appearances and/or signing times and sketch availability? There's Artist Alley lists, Vendor lists, artists who are special guests at exhibitor booths, small press booths, and special guests. Even individually artists post their schedules on various combinations of Instagram, deviant art, twitter, tumblr and facebook. I follow a lot of my favorite artists on certain combinations of those, but even still I felt a lot of information fell through the cracks for me last year.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Right, veterans of the SDCC plane of existence, help a newbie out.

To realistically see this panel, and not get lovely seats:

What do I do? Turn up maybe hours beforehand to wait? Get into a panel in the same room beforehand and stay in it? Whats the best plan?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also can travellers help him out with prepaid cell phones? I honestly dont know how they work.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Right, veterans of the SDCC plane of existence, help a newbie out.

To realistically see this panel, and not get lovely seats:

What do I do? Turn up maybe hours beforehand to wait? Get into a panel in the same room beforehand and stay in it? Whats the best plan?

There's a general pecking order for wait times, Hall H being the most crowded, spergiest spergs you have to outsperg in order to get in on time. For a smaller room you should still try a couple hours earlier at the least, since Overwatch is fairly popular. For a small mom and pop panel you can probably walk in

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

There's a general pecking order for wait times, Hall H being the most crowded, spergiest spergs you have to outsperg in order to get in on time. For a smaller room you should still try a couple hours earlier at the least, since Overwatch is fairly popular. For a small mom and pop panel you can probably walk in

Pretty much this. Look at what's before and after. If I had to guess looking at that information, if you show up for Man in High Castle at 4:15, you'll have 2 "move chances" and should be able to get a really decent seat. However, if you just want to be in the room, you can probably show for the Nerdist TV panel and be fine.

General rule I have. Hall H/Ballroom 20 - 3 panels before minimum to get in.
Indigo and 6 rooms (A, BCF, etc) - 2 panels for decent seats but you can probably get in showing up one panel before.
20s - You can usually easily get in these rooms at panel time but showing up a panel before gives you a good move situation.

bigmike posted:

Is there a comprehensive list or blog that has all artist appearances and/or signing times and sketch availability? There's Artist Alley lists, Vendor lists, artists who are special guests at exhibitor booths, small press booths, and special guests. Even individually artists post their schedules on various combinations of Instagram, deviant art, twitter, tumblr and facebook. I follow a lot of my favorite artists on certain combinations of those, but even still I felt a lot of information fell through the cracks for me last year.
This is as comprehensive list as I've ever found.
http://sdccblog.com/2016/07/announced-autograph-and-signing-schedule-for-sdcc-2016/

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 11, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Pretty much this. Look at what's before and after. If I had to guess looking at that information, if you show up for Man in High Castle at 4:15, you'll have 2 "move chances" and should be able to get a really decent seat. However, if you just want to be in the room, you can probably show for the Nerdist TV panel and be fine.

How is this not a tabletop game already

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

So at the end of a panel they dont kick you out? And in fact, I can actually get up and move to a cooler seat?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

So at the end of a panel they dont kick you out? And in fact, I can actually get up and move to a cooler seat?

Yes. No panel room clears out and there's always a couple minutes in between panels when they need to count availability to figure out how many people to let in during which you can snag a better seat.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

RevKrule posted:

Yes. No panel room clears out and there's always a couple minutes in between panels when they need to count availability to figure out how many people to let in during which you can snag a better seat.

But I assume as they usher you out, there is a line outside formed for the next panel, right? So don't you just get shunted to the end of that line?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They don't usher you out. You're grandfathered into your chair as long as you hold it. They only let people in from outside as seats open up and that's an imperfect science so you don't want to be the guy stairig at the panel door as the panel you want goes on

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Oh right so you just don't leave at the end of the panel, and if you have a chance when the panel people aren't looking, jump a row?

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

This is as comprehensive list as I've ever found.
http://sdccblog.com/2016/07/announced-autograph-and-signing-schedule-for-sdcc-2016/
[/quote]

Thanks man. I follow this blog and somehow missed this, haha. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Oh right so you just don't leave at the end of the panel, and if you have a chance when the panel people aren't looking, jump a row?

they aren't looking , they literally dont care. Once someone leaves their seat is up for grabs

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

they aren't looking , they literally dont care. Once someone leaves their seat is up for grabs

So my plan would literally be, go to the panel before the panel before overwatch, then creep up.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

So my plan would literally be, go to the panel before the panel before overwatch, then creep up.

Exactly.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Yay
https://twitter.com/cofphoto/status/752983860741218304/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I just hope it's not a tinge humid like 3 years ago. The girl from Georgia thought I was a little bitch proly

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Like 5-7 years ago it was like the upper 80s. That year SUCKKKKKEEEEDDDDDDDDDDD.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I always cite that year when people suggest moving the con to Vegas. Yeah, right, that'd work out real well.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I honestly suggest getting IN TO the room of the panel you want at least two panels before the one you actually want to see as the method they use to gauge how many people to let in is always so filled with guess work. And even moving up is the same thing everyone else has planned that unless you have anchors on your own chair in the form of a friend or buddy system, you're taking a risk by moving.

Also, everything now a days has some mass appeal, and even if it doesn't, the panels two away from the one you want has those same folks trying to get in to get in to their own.

I've held back from planning much of anything SDCC related until now because, well, con is like that wild wave you just have to flow with and be very very flexible in terms of what you actually want to do.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Initial Conversation For A Cause schedule is up with most tickets going on sale tomorrow morning.
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/producer/192245

These are all $22 and offsite at the Children's Museum.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Initial Conversation For A Cause schedule is up with most tickets going on sale tomorrow morning.
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/producer/192245

These are all $22 and offsite at the Children's Museum.

I'm going to try for Con Man, Whedon, and Fillion. I'm hoping they add another Fillion panel as they usually do - his always sell out in nanoseconds.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Skeleton posted:

I honestly suggest getting IN TO the room of the panel you want at least two panels before the one you actually want to see as the method they use to gauge how many people to let in is always so filled with guess work.
Yeah, that's a great suggestion for Con. At the worst, you get to sit inside an air conditioned room once you get in. If you're lucky, you find something new to get interested in, or you witness absolute madness that can't be replicated anywhere.

That was the case when I was waiting for the Bob's Burgers panel in '14. Caught the Rick&Morty panel, which led me to watch the show finally. Then I saw the unreal panel for Mike Tyson Mysteries. poo poo was amazing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Any non creepy goons still need a space? Got room at the Hyatt.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Crazy, the Pokemon Go panel was moved from Thursday in room 25ABC to Sunday in Hall H, 1:45 PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Struck out on Nerd HQ today. If anyone has 1 or 2 tickets for Con Man or 1 or 2 tickets for Joss Whedon, I will buy them from you.

• Locked thread