Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Is it just me, or do the cities look amazing compared to ETS2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

santanotreal posted:

Is it just me, or do the cities look amazing compared to ETS2?

They do. They're so much more detailed and varied and apparently the drivable area in each city is much larger than in ETS2. It looks like they're doing a great job of addressing my main complaint with ETS2, which is that you could drive most of the way across the continent and things would look pretty much the same the whole time. I'm so loving pumped.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Really though they would've gotten deservedly ridiculed if they'd made a trucking game with Vegas and didn't let you at least drive down the strip.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Lodin posted:

Just don't go to Norway. Just like the real deal it's all tollbooths, speedtraps and roundabouts.
At least it's gorgeous when you drive along the west coast.

The tolls arent that bad. You dont even have to stop moving if you go on the right lane. Just like those real life autopass things. Norway is a much more interesting drive than a lot of sweden and denmark though. Twisty mountain roads.. Love them!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I did a quick mission and ended up hauling 16t of diggers out of a quarry, in a stock DAF. It did not go well. Driving anything but manual is unthinkable for me (especially since the game goes up gears like a moron as soon as you touch the accelerator) but after a lot of trying I ended up just towing the truck to the nearest town instead. How can even first gear not have enough strength?

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

I'm guessing that was just treatment for the trailer, but drat I would love random CB transmissions so much.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It's all about eggs.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Meis posted:

The tolls arent that bad. You dont even have to stop moving if you go on the right lane. Just like those real life autopass things. Norway is a much more interesting drive than a lot of sweden and denmark though. Twisty mountain roads.. Love them!

My problem is that those lanes seemed to randomly move from the rightmost to the leftmost lanes in different countries. Maybe I was just too dumb to notice the signs or patterns.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Dezinus posted:

I'm guessing that was just treatment for the trailer, but drat I would love random CB transmissions so much.

"Come to the rest stop on SR-2 outside Pasadena in the next 55 minutes if u want an rear end kicking"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So are there gonna be weigh stations? :v:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
On the trailer, we saw a bunch of police cruisers. Could it be that they now actually patrol and have speed traps, and you can speed when they are not around?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

On the trailer, we saw a bunch of police cruisers. Could it be that they now actually patrol and have speed traps, and you can speed when they are not around?

Why limit yourself?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

Why limit yourself?

I'll be Rubber Duck.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Didn't one of the old 18 Wheels of Steel have cruisers that pulled you over?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I really, really want this to have a Hard Truck 2 cops mode where they shoot at you if you don't pull over immediately, and the attack helicopter that will hunt you down if you're wanted and near it.

Also random strips of mines across the road, cause why not.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Snaxx posted:

Didn't one of the old 18 Wheels of Steel have cruisers that pulled you over?

I think so. Rig 'n' Roll also has police cars that you can run off the road. It's not a very good game but it's worth playing; it's like a nightmare version of American Truck Simulator.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I will be honest, that trailer seemed to get one of my personal faves of desert drives: the early mornin' view across sparse stuff.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I'm so excited for this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GofQQEHPc8s

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Squirrel is doing his stream too, 24 hours of trucking (3 streams, at least 8 hours each). Sunday, the CEO of SCS is going to be there as well. Link here

Said there'd be codes given, but I haven't heard about how and when that will happen.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 29, 2016

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Dezinus posted:

in one of SCS's older 18 wheels games they had CB radios, you could request traffic and radio and other poo poo and other dudes would radio warnings and the like.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Destructoid gives it an 8.5 seemingly because it's just more Euro Truck but in America and there aren't enough trucks. I feel that's a fair review.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-american-truck-simulator-337137.phtml
It's not like anyone who loves the series isn't gonna pick this bastard up anyway.

The one thing I'm looking forward to is Giantbombs quicklook.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
5:04

WEIGH STATIONS

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

This... doesn't seem like a super accurate road layout. :psyduck: San Rafael should be more northward, and SF where San Rafael is... This is gonna bug me a lot I bet.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I am going to be very excited or disappointed, depending on if the solar power station in Ivanpah on I-15 between Las Vegas and Baker is there.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This... doesn't seem like a super accurate road layout. :psyduck: San Rafael should be more northward, and SF where San Rafael is... This is gonna bug me a lot I bet.

it's not like the euro map is any better, it's just a rough scaled down approximation

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I know. Guess I'm just surprised I-80 doesn't extend to the bay area. I wanted to drive down it and think "gee this is about where my hometown would be!"

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Eagerly awaiting the mod that contains the entire Interstate + US Route system.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EU roads are hellishly inaccurate. I guess it's the other continents turn to :spergin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh wait, I just noticed the Bay Bridge, part of I-80 is in there, but its nowhere near the rest of I-80. :v:

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.
The CEO of SCS is going to be on Squirrel's Twitch stream shortly.

http://www.twitch.tv/squirrel

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What loving game releases on Wednesday?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What loving game releases on Wednesday?

American Truck Simulator, if I'm not mistaken.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKSK8I3DWK4

LGR did a review!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

A lot of very solid truck driving in this video, with puny enemy cars being crushed by the true 'Merican king of the road. :911:

Man, I haven't played ETS2 since 2013. I should probably give it a whirl at some point, since I've got my wheel set up and everything.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't played ets2 in 6 months becaue I don't want to burn out for ats1

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

tater_salad posted:

I haven't played ets2 in 6 months becaue I don't want to burn out for ats1

Same.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I've never used this store, but apparently they have ATS for 25% off.

https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/american-truck-simulator-steam-key--2961-1

After converting the GBP to EUR I am only a few cents cheaper off than full price.

If you speak German or French, you can try buying in euros:

https://de.gamesplanet.com/game/american-truck-simulator-steam-key--2961-1
https://fr.gamesplanet.com/game/american-truck-simulator-steam-key--2961-1

My German is shabby, but I think they're saying in the comments that you don't actually get the key until launch time.

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 1, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I did the GBP to USD conversion and... ~$1.60 more than the announced USD price :911:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Stick Insect posted:

My German is shabby, but I think they're saying in the comments that you don't actually get the key until launch time.
The support guy is saying they'll press the button and send out the codes when they get the go-ahead, the exact time isn't specified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Pavel, the SCS CEO, was weirdly ambiguous about release time in his interview with Squirrel (full hour long interview link.) It sounds like Wednesday at noon Prague time is their latest expected time, but it's possible that it will release earlier.

It sounded like Steam gave them other options, but SCS was just confused and did Prague time for everyone.