Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Damnit, California is a civilized land of controlled left turns. Give me my controlled left turns SCS. :argh: Also, the yellows stay yellow for a hella lot longer than that. :argh: And not even the most rear end in a top hat cop in California would ticket me for doing 33 MPH in a 30 zone. :argh: Also the Golden Gate toll is totally wrong, its actua- :words::arghfist:

Fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

track day bro! posted:

Why the h*ck is speeding so expensive in America, surely there must be an upgrade that lets you hire a lawyer to get you out of tickets!

It's how the police departments fund themselves. Gotta meet a quota, yo!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nah, things definitely feel overly compressed. Like, I was from Sacramento to Stockton in just 2-3 minutes. I know things are compressed, but thats a pretty decent drive IRL!

Stockon is pretty spot on though. Its a horrid looking shithole with crime and cops everywhere and a nasty speed trap. :v:

I didn't check out Stockton, but my brief look at Fresno found it to be appropriately awful, which pleases me.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Empress Theonora posted:

Is there a screenshot of the full map anywhere?

Mostly, I just want to see how many Fallout: New Vegas locations are there. :v:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I cant stop lolling about the fact that theres a place called ox-nard

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Damnit, California is a civilized land of controlled left turns. Give me my controlled left turns SCS. :argh: Also, the yellows stay yellow for a hella lot longer than that. :argh: And not even the most rear end in a top hat cop in California would ticket me for doing 33 MPH in a 30 zone. :argh: Also the Golden Gate toll is totally wrong, its actua- :words::arghfist:

Fun game.
Now you know how Europeans feel about ETS2. :)

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Serperoth posted:

You can just copy your ETS2 radio list, right?
Yeah, but I'm on a new PC without ETS2 and limitid internet.
Never mind, I'll talk to a guy and get it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

I hope if you speed through Primm, you're pulled over by Primm Slim.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Been playing a bit of ATS and it's fantastic. I feel that it's worth the $20 and am eager for them to add more to the game. I know the states are small and only two trucks is really underwhelming but the gameplay is same old ETS2 but the roads and map in general just feels better. The game feels different though I can't really place why or what exactly is different. The trailer parking is a huge pain in the rear end, way harder than ETS2 simply because the lots are smaller and more filled with stuff. You do get a bigger bonus if you put it right where they want it and it's nice that it's different depending on the difficulty of the lot.

I uploaded a pastebin of the live_streams.sii file from ETS2

Cowman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 3, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I love the way you can just dump the trailer and tell them to fo with it. You could before, but the flavor text really helps.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

welp

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

How did you even manage to do that?!

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Very precisely, from the looks of it.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of you Americans asked where Ausfahrt was when ETS2 came out. As a Euro I have to ask, what's with the constant weighing?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Lodin posted:

A lot of you Americans asked where Ausfahrt was when ETS2 came out. As a Euro I have to ask, what's with the constant weighing?

Drugs and/or illegal immigrants.

Two things: How do I upload my profile to World of Trucks? I thought I had but apparently it isn't on there.

Has anyone else had ATS constantly downloading 0B updates just called "Workshop Content"? I don't know why but it constantly keeps on trying to download or sync with the workshop even though there isn't anything on there far as I know.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm excited for American Truck Simulator, but a bit worried it just won't be the same without hearing a bunch of weird European radio stations. I liked trying to switch to a station in whatever language was spoken in the country I was driving through, which was cool.

For the proper American Trucking Experience, fire up Spotify and load up a random old-school country playlist.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Galaga Galaxian posted:

not sure. didn't see the turn, slammed on the brakes and turned hard right and somehow ended up in there. took a couple of minutes to get out of that.

Cowman posted:

Has anyone else had ATS constantly downloading 0B updates just called "Workshop Content"? I don't know why but it constantly keeps on trying to download or sync with the workshop even though there isn't anything on there far as I know.
yeah I've been getting that too

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Megadyptes posted:

yeah I've been getting that too

I deleted and redownloaded ATS and it's not doing that anymore. That's really weird but it's fixed at least.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lodin posted:

I will say this, the selection of radio stations is piss poor. I finally found one that was blasting some Guns N' Roses but then the Spanish DJ started shouting about Jesus. Is this normal in the US?
Kind of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_blaster

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a good basic wheel you guys reccomend for these games?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Not sure what you mean by basic, but a Logitech G60 is perfect.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Lodin posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weigh_station

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lodin posted:

The Wikipedia article covers things pretty wel. But the TL:DR is Weigh stations are for checking if trucks are compliant with state/federal weight regulations, safety inspections, checking truck's logs to see if they're compliant with various regulations, and other such stuff.

To nerd out a bit, my county has one of the largest/busiest weigh stations in the state, a relatively new facility that looks surprisingly good for what it is, and I was hoping a facsimile would be in the game, but sadly basically the entire stretch of I-80 between SF and Sac is non-existant. Oh well!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Fun game.

Seeing a sign on the 5 out of San Diego that said "Los Angles" and "Bakersfield" on it was kind of hilarious.

Also, why are there stop signs at half the streetlights? Is that just how they are internally managing to allow right on red?

It's funny because there's a lot of stuff that does look like "Oh this is a drive through California" and then there will be something bizarrely jarring. I suppose this is how Europeans felt about ETS2. Enjoying this a lot though, and I haven't even made it to Vegas yet.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

Enjoying this a lot though, and I haven't even made it to Vegas yet.

I haven't been north of San Francisco yet despite starting there.

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

Stopped at a light coming out of oh I dunno probably Winnemucca and saw a dude just dancing on a picnic table. Good game.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Looks like they got this working already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9W4ujyj2ck

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Lodin posted:

Some folks have already linked Wikipedia, so I'll add my own perspective, based largely on living in the US and taking a recent trip to Canada.

Interstate highways are a very American thing. No other country can simultaneously say it's as young and as large as the United States. (As the old joke goes, Americans think 200 years is a long time, but Europeans think 200 miles is a long way.) The highways themselves were only authorized 60 years ago (June 29, 1956, to be precise), and the last of the originally planned highways was built in 1992. That means they're modern. And the sheer amount of acreage in the US means they're big. Both of these combine to make them fast.

One of the things I most noticed when I went to Canada on vacation a few months ago was that their entire country has basically one interstate (well, interprovince) highway, and the bit I drove on had a speed limit of 80 kph and, occasionally, stop lights. By contrast, less than 15 minutes away from me is a road I can drive 110 kph (70 mph) on, and the only thing slowing me down is the occasional traffic jam. Even semis can go 95 (60) on it. Roads like that exist in Europe, but they're rare. And Europeans don't have the culture of travel that Americans do, the romantization of the open road. There's a reason the music of trucking is American.

So what's this have to do with weigh stations? Simple: you have to pay for the interstate somehow. For personal vehicles, that's part of the cost of registering them, but for semis, weigh stations were set up both as a sort of truck-only toll booth and as a way to make sure they didn't literally break the road. These days, as has been said, they're more focused on making sure truck companies are following the law and not trying to break the roads. Or their employees.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Can't wait until they expand to the east coast and I get to drive on I-95, the most boring interstate.

Yea but South Of The Border

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Haulin some Teslas

Disappointed in the options on outfitting the trucks. Wish you could get a single axle day cab. Not enough lighting options. RIP rotating beacon. Also what happened to all the cool patterns you could get in ETS2?

Also rolling right on red still gets you whacked with a fine :wtc:

Has anyone imported the euro trucks to this yet? I want some cabover goodness.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

goty

Seriously though I really enjoy these difficult parking situations. In ETS2 I was able to park super easy because the lots are all huge.

edit: ^^^ keep the faith, I think SCS will add a lot to this game. They've only got 2/48 states so far, for example

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
http://www.modsats.com/freightliner-argosy-v3-0-0-9-1-3-mod/

Found a Freightshaker cabover.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I find it hilarious that apparently weigh stations are a pain in the rear end in this game. I think I've seen an open weigh station...maybe once? Twice?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nah, things definitely feel overly compressed. Like, I was from Sacramento to Stockton in just 2-3 minutes. I know things are compressed, but thats a pretty decent drive IRL!
Came to post about this. ETS2 was compressed 1:20, ATS appears to be 1:30.

Enjoying some of the changes, though not all... like those cops. Assholes! You're doing the same speed as I and everyone else! How am I supposed to speed if you just stay behind me the whole time?? :argh:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Abu Dave posted:

Is there a good basic wheel you guys reccomend for these games?

If by basic you mean a entry level / bang-for-your-buck wheel, check out the logitech driving force GT. The pedals aren't great, but not terrible, but the wheel itself is quite good. No clutch though, and only a sequential shifter. I have mine for a few years now, using it for iRacing, Assetto Corsa and Eurotruck and it still works perfectly.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I fully endorse this playlist https://open.spotify.com/user/sips/playlist/0qIEtkMvy3zZHOUpRXue4A

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The Rebel Galaxy soundtrack works pretty well with ATS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSkh6g5ksvc

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
it's too bad the between-town compression is so high, because the journeys are pretty glorious at night:

I also can't wait until I can buy my own truck so I can have an engine that lets me go uphill.

triple clutcher fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 3, 2016

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Das Butterbrot posted:

If by basic you mean a entry level / bang-for-your-buck wheel, check out the logitech driving force GT. The pedals aren't great, but not terrible, but the wheel itself is quite good. No clutch though, and only a sequential shifter. I have mine for a few years now, using it for iRacing, Assetto Corsa and Eurotruck and it still works perfectly.

I got this wheel and while it is great it is also super loud with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

Came to post about this. ETS2 was compressed 1:20, ATS appears to be 1:30.

That's kind of a bummer. How long would a SF to LA trip take? Would that make an "eventual" coast to coast trip like an hour and 20 minutes? That seems pretty quick.

Are other people feeling the compression issues?