Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah if its AUD30 that seems pretty good, if they're going to keep developing it as they have ETS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

They tend to be pretty generous when it comes to sale time though we won't have one of those for a little while as far as I know. Might even be a 10% discount at launch.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

Woah. It's pretty much spot on. Considering the DLC that is going to be required eventually to make this into something I will consider a serious game, I would not want to be spending over $20 for the base portion.
I though the intention was that they'll extend the map in the base game quite a bit before they do any major DLC, since the coverage in area is still quite a bit below the base ETS, although it looks like they've put a fair bit more detail into it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Looks like we got us a convoyyyeeee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN4XpIbEY-Y

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

It's pretty funny how much I gently caress up simple things like missing the gate to the warehouse and I have to jack knife back - while a shitload of traffic backs up behind me.

Also, being pinged for being 4mph over the limit because I forgot to keep an eye on the speed limit by cops. Or super enemies, as I now think of them.

I guess I've would lived a bigger area to start off with, but on the other hand, what there is is great, the variety and the detail of stuff is definitely a step up from the base ETS2 - although the Scandinavian DLC is a pretty good indicator of their more detailed approach. I hadn't actually played much of ETS2 since I got my ultra-wide monitor so it's even better.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Whoops

Another time I veered off the left of a cloverleaf loop and got stuck with no traction and ended up having to F7 it.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 4, 2016

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I had one cop stuck behind me on one of those backroads and I got pinged a couple of times for dumb poo poo. So at one point I just stopped the truck and let them beep at me for a minute, at least I wasn't getting fined for that.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Goddammit.

There should be a "Get Out And Push" achievement for this situation.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Tippis posted:

I'd be ok with that if the correctness was two-way: hit someone's mailbox in-game, and some SCS dev will personally go and knock it over.
Jorge Luis Borges, game developer.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

As for the lack of grunt in the trucks, usually if you're just doing pick-up jobs in company trucks you usually get barely-upgraded ones.

As with ETS2, there are three states of progression:

1. Doing odd jobs in company trucks until you raise the funds to buy your own.

2. Getting enough money to your own truck to upgrade engines/gearboxes/etc. You get more money from jobs in your own truck too, so even if you have to pay your own fuel and repairs, the bottom line looks a lot better.

3. Getting enough money so you can get employees to pull in extra cash so all those fines don't seem like a big deal.

With bank loans you can probably go from 2 to 3 fairly quickly if you can keep a positive cashflow. The early-game experience when you basically have to work for hire in weak-rear end trucks is not like when you're well into it with a fully upgraded rig and an army of underlings to support your speed habit.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Oh c'mon, it's no worse than trying to drive around France.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, I know. I'll just wait for workshop support and/or the official ones. That licensing stuff should take long, right? :haw:
From what I can gather from the official blog, they've got another truck each for Peterbilt and Kenworth to come, and as far as the other makes go, they're hoping a successful release will convince the others to come on board (and apparently they've got a lot of the modelling done already, they just need to get the official license).

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

God I hope they keep putting stuff like this in in all the territory DLC.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Some kind of patch or update on Steam just now.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

It's effectively a field of view setting. I've bumped it up to 150% since I've got a ultrawide so it works well with that.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah when I was a kid I had friends whose dads drove Kennies.

I'm sort of hoping Mack turns up at some point too - since they're owned by Volvo these days I'm hopeful.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

strategery posted:

SO dumb question: IN ETS2. I just bought my own truck and I see now i can do cargo missions. SO i pick one that pays almost 30k. But when i start. i have no trailer. So i follow the red gps path. It doesnt seem to ever end. Like its the path im supposed to take once i get the trailer. So i see a yellow path. I go there. And the "jobs" in it are just pictures of trailers. But they seem to be separate jobs. So where was the trailer for the first job i picked?
You follow the red path to the pickup. Then when you get the trailer hooked up, the red path should now lead to where you're supposed to take it.

Some of the quarries or timberyards can be quite a long way outside the city they're attached too.

Yellow paths are roads you've previously visited.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Ha! I enjoyed Car Mechanic Sim (for some reason I enjoyed the lovely old Fiat clone the most of all) but I felt needed a button to swearing at stripped threads or dropping the spanner into the engine cavity or things like that and sort of almost became a memory and rhythm game for me.

Some kind of self maintenance mini game in that vein would be amazing.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Uncle Sam is off the fuckin' hook.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

If they're adding states attached to the current territory Utah should be fairly high on the list. I'm speculating but they might do Oregon/Washington first to cover the coast after they put Arizona out. Have they announced a time frame on that, by the way?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Germany tends to be the bread and butter of ETS2 without mods, but I think aside from that stretch near Frankfurt with the airport it's pretty dull. The fast roads are better than stopping every three miles at a manual tollbooth like in base map France, though.

Given the local detail in Scandinavia and ATS I do think it'd be nice if they gave the original map an overhaul.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is this a joke about it being gameplay footage or a legit question?

If it's the latter it's a dashboard camera on some car, liekly in Russia. For fun (and a time killer because you'll look up and it'll be 4AM) look up "Russian Dash Camera Compilation" on YouTube and just.... Watch... It's a loving marvel.
Not really trucking related but my favourite of this genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnsdc7cTPuU
I reckon it was staged but it's still loving hilarious

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The big map mods won't work with Workshop either, will they?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Ok cool. I've wanted this game for a very long time but was worried about the ol' dlc stuff.

A basic feel for 40 hours is ok with me. After that I know I'm sure I'll pick up w/e dlc allows mods or maybe I read something wrong
The base game is solid enough that you won't feel gimped, at least to begin with, there's comprehensive mods if you want them, and the two official territory expansions are pretty good, although Scandinavia is markedly more detailed than the base map or Going East.

The two other DLCs Daz mentioned are pretty good to add a bit of variety, basically those are the four you'll probably want to grab when you're done with the base.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I might've gotten the same French talk station and they had some quiz or something because of people calling in and had bells and buzzers and crap.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Oh wow, I thought ATS was solid enough but, yes, the scaling was a bit weird, as were the Interstate not-interchanges. Even if it takes them a little time it's a good move.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Truckin' for Jesus

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Along with the rescale they're also redoing a lot of the interchanges, like in Reno they had an at-grade for one of the Interstates, which was a huge pain in the arse if you were just burning back into California from Bumfuck NV. I'll get back into ATS when the rescale is done, which shouldn't be too long now.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I find it's also nice to put your blinged out personal truck into the employee pool when you buy a new one, since as far as I know you can't just park them.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I caught up on buying a bunch of ETS2 stuff in the sale so I'll have to get stuck into the new France to make it worthwhile.

On the American side of things, it's kind of interesting and probably depends how they'll handle the denser states, whether they increase the amount of roads as they go east or keep it trimmed down. So I have no idea whether it would take more work to do the landscaping, the roads, or the built-up areas (given they do reuse a lot of assets).

But for this exercise we could assume that development time corresponds directly to the area of each expansion. (Bearing in mind the rescale ate a fair amount of time as well.)

If they intend to just do the Lower 48, so far they've covered 13% of the land area with CA, NV and AZ.

New Mexico takes that up to 17%, and if we assume they release Washington and Oregon next (six months after NM if we're optimistic?) that takes it up to 22%. (Of course that expansion might also stretch into British Columbia at least as far as Vancouver, which would be nice.)

After that we're speculating, but to me it seems like Texas would be more attractive as the next cab off the rank. It'll be huge (thought at least it's mostly flat) but that takes the coverage up to 31%. I think even that could be years away, beyond which SCS could go bust or decide to retool their engine or who the gently caress knows. Especially since they'd probably want to fill out the mountain states before getting too far east.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The north of Italy (Turin, Milan, Venice) is in the base game but not the rest. Plus they can add that without having to deal with DLC territories like if they were going to add Spain/Portugal to France.

I think they have a different team for ATS, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah I kind of wonder how they could overhaul the base map (which I guess is really just Germany, Austria, Benelux and Brexit Island as France and Italy have had their do-over) and make it work for them from a revenue point of view.

Especially since they really need to get cracking on the American side as well.

I usually just dip into the games every few months anyway when I get the urge to roll...