Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

IRC channel is #trucksim not #truckism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Obsidius posted:

Still getting to grips with how red lights work. I'm driving up to an intersection, lights turn red but traffic is clear so I go through and take a right turn which I thought was legal. Cop behind me gives a burst of his siren and flashes his lights and I've got a ticket of iirc $1000. I thought turning right on a red was OK in America?

It varies by state on whether it's allowed at all to start. Secondly, you have to come to a stop first, yield to any peds, and then proceed through the intersection. But if there's a sign that says "no right on red" or "right on green arrow only", you can't turn right on red.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Sappo569 posted:

I'm so weak... I just bought this.

Once the MP mod gets released I look forward to a goon convoy rolling through vegas, blaring 'The Gambler' over the radios

The biggest disappointment about multiplayer is the lack of traffic. It's weird to drive on abandoned roads.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Kilonum posted:

Steam images don't work on the forums, you gotta upload them to something else.

Yeah, I've been having this problem a lot lately. Steamgifts too. I don't know what's up with it.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

I anticipated some Euroisms creeping into ATS, and so far (based on the stream I'm watching, anyway), I've seen two. One is amusing (petrol station instead of gas station). The other is somewhat less so. Trying to make a left turn at a T intersection when the road you're turning onto doesn't have stop signs is obnoxious enough without said road having a speed limit of 80 miles an hour. And I know (or at least trust Google Maps) that the intersection between I-15 and California Highway 58 actually has ramps, and that ETS2 has a tile for that sort of thing. Once I actually get ATS for myself, I'm gonna start filing those things as bugs.

Can anyone who actually lives in one of the covered areas say if the lack of exit only lanes is also a Euro thing? I know that exit only lanes are pretty common in my neck of the woods, and I assumed most of the US could say the same.

In the different places I've lived exit only lanes were super uncommon.(Ohio, SC, Hawaii)

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Whaaaaat?

You can see out the back of the truck now! Was this in Eurotruck at all? I don't remember anything not having additional poo poo back there.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

ManicJason posted:

I assume that goes away once you can afford an actual sleeper. It is definitely helpful for us poors.

Assuming the game doesn't make me buy one to get any sort of sleep(as it will allow you to buy a daycab), I'm definitely sticking with the daycab.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

This is what you get for driving in third person.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

pmMike posted:

Good news, friends!

How? I want to make OUTATIME plates.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

pmMike posted:

You need to hook up your World of Trucks account. Comedy license plates are about all it's good for at the moment...

I have it, but it's too many characters. (Just like ANUSTART is) or does the WOT just display 7, but you can really have 8?

Edit: You can have 8 (at least) on the Cali plates. WoT won't show it, but I'm rocking some OUTATIME plates now.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 4, 2016

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Get your Vegies here!

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

King Faraday posted:

I've been noticing while playing that the truck dashboard is a bit blurry, would that be fixed by bumping the Scaling?
I put it at 100% because I thought it meant the UI elements - like the pop ups.

Yeah, I had a terrible time reading the dashboard, went to 400% and it's crystal clear.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Awesome. How do you like it?

Using yours, works well, thanks!

Dick.

And then a traffic jam.

Is this for real? Well I guess it is

Cops in their natural habitat, the donut shop.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

* As soon as you've leveled up enough to get the $100,000 loan and you have about $40k in the bank, take out that $100,000 loan and buy the most basic truck. Now you can do regular freight jobs, and even with the loan interest and fuel/maintenance costs, you'll come out way ahead.

Just as a clarification on this specific point. In ETS, 100k was the first. Now it's ~120k so that you can actually afford a new truck with the first loan. I didn't notice at first, but you can loan 100k, then some 10k increments to buy the truck.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Can I play with and without multiplayer on the same profile interchangeably?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

duz posted:

http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=157951

It uses the ETS2 style speed limit icon tho.

http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=202&t=200356
He has the ATS version here.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

BaronVanAwesome posted:

A very important ATS question:

WHY ISN'T MY AIRHORN WORKING? HOW DO I GET AN AIRHORN?

ABH (always be honkin')

Have you unlocked and put on an airhorn yet? You need to mount them on the bars like so: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/14FUVJCG_z4/maxresdefault.jpg

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I saw the unlocks but didn't see an airhorn option unless it unlocks later? (I don't think the truck you posted is in ATS)

It's not, but I went looking for ETS trucks because I know they're on there.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Bentai posted:

Once I realized that I could unhook the trailer at the delivery point and not have the game call it "delivered", it made it so much easier to wedge the trailer into the tougher spots.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you guys haven't tried using the trailer brake for some of the tighter spots, I'd recommend experimenting with it. It can help with twisting the trailer into a better position.

Basically you turn the trailer wheels into a pivot point and force the whole thing to turn in place on them.

These are life changing tips, I'm going to have to give it a shot. Only problem is SCS needs either modifier keys for controller layouts, or context-specific, as my pad's already full of buttons.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

So is anyone using any mods on ATS? What graphics settings are people ending up on?

I am playing on my 5K iMac under OS X, but I don't know if it would look better if I booted into windows. Like the shadows are kinda jaggy and stuff. I have most of the settings maxed out too. For ETS2 I had one of the weather mods that made it look pretty nice.

I guess it looks better when the image is scaled down...

This one is from before I upped the quality on the mirror settings:

EDIT: Maybe I can up the res or play with the scaling % or something.

I play with maxed out everything, plus the Nvidia inspector settings from earlier in the thread. Forces Nvidia's AA vs the game's, and ends up looking super nice. If you don't have mirrors set to super high quality and super distance you're doing it wrong.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Thanks to the trailer brake tip, I was more easily able to squeeze a trailer in:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Unimpressed posted:

Wait, what tip?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you guys haven't tried using the trailer brake for some of the tighter spots, I'd recommend experimenting with it. It can help with twisting the trailer into a better position.

Basically you turn the trailer wheels into a pivot point and force the whole thing to turn in place on them.

For this at least, I got the rear of it into place, held the trailer brake and backed the front into line for the dropoff.

e: Maybe new as of the update, but I got ticketed for going over the truck limit in Cali(65 in a 55, which I assume is less than the car limit).

HarmB fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 16, 2016

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Some California highways (not interstates) do have a car speed limit of 55.

Happened on the highway as well(which is clearly marked 65). I was only going 60 the second time.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

nielsm posted:

How often do the addons go on sale? I'm kind of interested in Scandinavia, but not €20 interested.
It'll definitely be part of the sale on the 23rd, likely 9.49 or less, but can be had for even less than that sometimes: https://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:%5EEuro%20Truck%20Simulator%202%3A%20Scandinavia%24;/scroll:%23highlights

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Picked up a G27 today for $100. Poor guy is now stuck trying to sell an openwheeler seat without a wheel though. Someone tell me how they have their G27 set up.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Anyone interested in a G27? I'm getting rid of mine. Some more details in the general simulator thread.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Feats of Strength posted:

Being someone who learned to drive in the UK, I find it the complete opposite, when i'm not getting speeding tickets for zones which arbitrarily change from 50mph to 31mph when coming close to a city, or having someone crash into the back of me as the lane's onto duel carriageway's don't lead into a new lane I find it a sweet relief whenever I pull into hull after a jaunt around Europe.. I'd never have though I'd be so relieved arriving in Hull in all my life!

Roundabouts though however terrify me in game as much as they do in real life, they are essentially designed to trigger panic attacks.

Does anyone have any specific Wheel/Brake/Gearstick hardware that they could recommend for this game? I'm currently using a keyboard and i'd like it to be more "immersive".

The Logitech G27 is the 'go-to' for entry-level wheels. Good enough to not suck and let you know if it's for you, but still relatively cheap enough to be able to afford it. The G25 is essentially the same wheel with less face buttons on the wheel and a slightly different shifter that allows sequential.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Drone posted:

ATS is way cheap, but I feel like I've already got the most buy-in on ETS2. If I were to buy only one in the sale, should I get Vive la France or the ATS base game?

On a content and 'newness' to it, I'd go with ATS. It's larger and has more cities than the France overhaul, and the US is a different driving experience.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Every couple of years

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

I bought my first truck simulator game in euro last weekend - played with a ps4 controller, everything was all good. Started it up tonight and controller support and all my assigned controls are completely hosed.

It recognizes some buttons on the controller - I can steer, accelerate, but everything else it thinks are keyboard keys - for example, l1 and r1 are supposed to be indicators, but if I press those on the controller screen it thinks they are space and 'c'. pressing l1 in game -even if it is assigned to indicate as 'space', always turns on both the wipers and the parking brake.
Both sticks move the mouse on menus screens now, just at different speeds. i have spent an hour disabling various things in windows, trying new ways of turning the controller on. It's driving me absolutely insane. Every other game I have sees the button mapping fine and the last time I ran this everything was fine - nothing has changed since. i hadn't even used my PC since i last played... what the gently caress is going on??

e: downloaded ds4 windows and got some level of controller support back - and found out that my gear shift up and down on a keyboard is now a toggle that needs to be held down, letting go of either puts it in neutral. did the patch it downloaded before i played tonight completely gently caress the game up?

Do you have the Steam controller drivers on? Try turning them on(or off). It should be under like "steam controller beta" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Howard Beale posted:

I think that was Promods. It definitely added a sign outside Mannheim or Stuttgart with angry graffiti about local politics and city planning, which is totally appropriate commentary to find in a transport simulator.

The slogan reads "We can do anything EXCEPT TRAIN STATIONS"

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's like you have the sensibilities of a school vice principal. Yeah dude, graffiti signs in a mod. loving inappropriate. Savages.

I'm pretty sure Howard Beale was being earnest about the appropriate comment. Graffiti about transport planning in a transport game is a very appropriate place for it.