Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best superhero mash-up?
Amazon
Assassins
Doctor StrangeFate
JLX
Legends of the Dark Claw
Super Soldier
Bruce Wayne Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Bullets and Bracelets
Magneto and the Magnetic Men
Speed Demon
Spider-Boy
X-Patrol
Bat-Thing
Dark Claw Adventures
Generation Hex
JLX Unleashed
Lobo the Duck
Super-Soldier: Man of War
Challengers of the Fantastic
Exciting X-Patrol
Iron Lantern
The Magnetic Men featuring Magneto
Spider-Boy Team-Up
Thorion of the New Asgods
View Results

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Young me loved it, today cynical me knows that it was just a way to get people to buy more comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i don't read comics so i'm perplexed as to who all of these characters are

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
no

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
yes

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

goku

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

pictured: a typical afternoon in times square nyc. costumed characters race each other to get in frame of a tourist's selfie in order to then claim they are owed $5 for the photo

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Professor Shark posted:

Young me loved it, today cynical me knows that it was just a way to get people to buy more comics

same, I own all of those and they're awful

e: also robin and jubilee had a brief romeo and juliet star-crossed lovers thing going on lol

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Professor Shark posted:

Comic book companies trying to get people to buy comics? Wow. What has this world come to?

NBC Nightly Newt
May 11, 2013
Bruce Wayne Agent of Shield was pretty good from what I read. And now there's Grayson out there..........

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

Comic book companies trying to get people to buy comics? Wow. What has this world come to?

Since 2000 or so they've been soft-pitches for potential movies/TV shows. Literally every time they're not the quality shoots up but the bosses' approval shoots way down, so it's short-lived.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
what were all the hero combinations

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

i dont remember any of what OP is talking about but Bruce Wayne Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. sounds kinda cool so im voting for that one

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Lobo the Duck

:ducksiren:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I only read wolverine, iron man and those infinity series' they'd make. I did see those and never bought them

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

mind the walrus posted:

Since 2000 or so they've been soft-pitches for potential movies/TV shows. Literally every time they're not the quality shoots up but the bosses' approval shoots way down, so it's short-lived.

IIRC Wanted was made by that lovely hack Mark Something for the sole reason of hopefully being turned into a movie. The main character had to look like Emenim because that's who was (hopefully) going to play him, and the female character was supposed to be played by Halle Berry

His comics and the movies made from them all suck anyway

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

These were almost uniformly horrible.

I have all of them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

IIRC Wanted was made by that lovely hack Mark Something for the sole reason of hopefully being turned into a movie. The main character had to look like Emenim because that's who was (hopefully) going to play him, and the female character was supposed to be played by Halle Berry

:goonsay: Everything Mark Millar has written since 2000 has been a pitch for an adaptation. He's the same gently caress behind Kickass and Kingsman, and his book The Ultimates informed the aesthetic of the Avengers movie (though that was thanks to artist Bryan Hitch; the writing features such classy things as incestuous Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver, racist Captain America, and cannibal Hulk that we all know Disney is eager to use). If it weren't for Matthew Vaughn taking a profitable liking to Millar's material he'd have been rightly relegated into the dustbin as diet Garth Ennis.

Marvel since 2008 or so and DC since 2011 have been increasingly specific to their investors that the only reason they publish comics at all anymore is to give their parent companies things to make into movies/TV shows/etc. etc. etc. It's not really up for debate at this point. DC is relaunching their entire comics line for the second time this decade to make things more movie-related.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Gaunab posted:

what were all the hero combinations

They combined Wolverine with Batman to make Dark Claw.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

:goonsay: Everything Mark Millar has written since 2000 has been a pitch for an adaptation. He's the same gently caress behind ... Kingsman

I started watching Kingsman but then stopped about 10 minutes in. I didn't know it was Mark Miller, but it makes sense now.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Old man Logan was pretty good, would make a decent movie too IMO

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Kingsman is one of my most hated films ever.

BUT HE ALSO MADE THE ULTIMATES

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I read the wikipedia plots for both the comic and the movie and they both sound like the same poo poo I'd have come to expect

Amalgam Comics were better

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

BUT HE ALSO MADE THE ULTIMATES

The Ultimates loving sucked and if it wasn't for Bryan Hitch doing things like making Nick Fury into Samuel L. Jackson and giving the prototype for Captain Americas WWII costume it wouldn't even be remembered. Oh wait I'm sorry Millar gave the world the term Chitauri. Yeah that sure was a great contribution there.

Millar is also one of the many reasons the Civil War event comic from 2006--it has nothing to do with the upcoming movie btw--sucked on toast.

"BUT HE WROTE RED SON"

yes and it's well-known that he was essentially writing off of an outline Grant Morrison gave him, and when Millar refused to give Morrison proper credit Morrison ended his mentor relationship with Millar over it.

Oh and while the Kick-rear end comic has some clever bits it's remarkably mean-spirited towards the types of fans who love Millar the most. Like it's not really offensive as much like "dude you ok? you don't seem to be enjoying working here." And that's in a world where Ennis' "Crossed" can flit by without anyone really questioning it.

Kuato posted:

They're making it into a movie. Millar's M.O has continuously been "huh that's not a bad concept, shame about the actual product." That's why letting Vaughn essentially rewrite Millar's material keeps working out so well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

"BUT HE WROTE RED SON"

yes and it's well-known that he was essentially writing off of an outline Grant Morrison gave him, and when Millar refused to give Morrison proper credit Morrison ended his mentor relationship with Millar over it.

Holy poo poo was a loving douche

Mods please rename this the Mark Millar Hate Station, I don't care anymore about Amalgam I want to hear more dirt on this terrible comicbook man

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lucky Guy posted:

same, I own all of those and they're awful

e: also robin and jubilee had a brief romeo and juliet star-crossed lovers thing going on lol

They ended up amalgamated.

Green fishscale underpants lol.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Millar sounds like an rear end in a top hat

Also who the hell spells Miller as Millar?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Storm made a great Wonder Woman :colbert:

Their battle in MV Vs DC was bittersweet as hell.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Yes and I loving loved it even though 99% of the resulting comics were absolute trash

The character concepts were quite fun

I'd buy the whole thing again if they decided to give it another go with some good writers and artists this time

Marvel vs DC may be rivals but they both love money

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They're both fighting over the same $20 bill at this point when it comes to comics I would have thought

All the money is in movies

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

That Robot posted:

Also who the hell spells Miller as Millar?

The Scottish

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Kuato posted:

That's the one were Bruce Banner rapes his cousin She-Hulk in order to make inbred hulklettes because "she was the only one who could take it?" That whole series is dumb as hell and I don't know why it gets any praise.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i dont know whats happening

this i like

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Imo, comics are quite bad.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just read image comics.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the comic version of wanted had a lot more rape, naturally. mark "raperaperape" millar does it again!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

cheesetriangles posted:

Just read image comics.

were is takes 3 years to publish 12 issues.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Squizzle posted:

Imo, comics are quite bad.

rude

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Earwicker posted:

pictured: a typical afternoon in times square nyc. costumed characters race each other to get in frame of a tourist's selfie in order to then claim they are owed $5 for the photo

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Professor Shark posted:

They're both fighting over the same $20 bill at this point when it comes to comics I would have thought

All the money is in movies video games

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Professor Shark posted:

All the money is in movies

exactly. comics are IP farms now where characters are harvested for money-making media

• Locked thread