Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

C and B. We will not negotiate with terrorists, foreign or domestic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
D and B
Glad to see the democrats on board for limiting government, will make your job a lot easier. But who cares about some dumb journalist? They probably would have voted Carter anyway.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
C and B. We need strength.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
1. A. If it works, it’s fast. Let’s keep basking in the glory.

2. B: I like the idea of C, because never again will Congress be able to hold the nation hostage in this way, and also because constitutional crises are fun. However, I feel that C’s “gently caress the Congress; I don’t need them” message is the wrong way to start our relationship. B isn’t telling Congress to go gently caress themselves so much as it’s pointing out their idiocy. The hostage is more dear to them than it is to me. I don’t want to slash government spending quite so aggressively, but I’m less reticent than they are.

“A” was the OTL course of action. I will be amused if Goons are more antagonistic than the real Reagan.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 19:06 on Feb 1, 2016

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
1. D
2. A

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

1. A
2. C

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

A

B

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. A - Not giving a poo poo about one captured journalist in Iran would surely backfire/betray what your address stood for, bombing Iran would be beyond idiotic, as would kow-towing to passive negotiations.
2. B - Simply put, I still have nightmares about Cruz's federal hostage crisis of 2013. Call their fuckin' bluff now, it will do wonders later.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
1-D. America will not lose sleep over a jailed journalist. In fact, if Iran calls and wants to talk, ask them if we can send a couple hundred more over for them to hold on to. The media always has been and always will be the enemy, either they can do and say what we want or we won't play ball.

2-B. Our goal is to reduce government and the best way to do that is by eliminating all of the freeloading teetsuckers who get paid on the government dime. My preference would be that we undercut the Democrat position by terminating every federal worker deemed unnecessary to government operation (re: all of them) and lower the ceiling that way, but if we can get the Dems to do what they want and let them call it a victory, which means they'll be more open to doing our bidding, then let the Dems place themselves into Checkmate.

Also I believe we'll be doing a lot more "mental deleting" of things in the near future, not just our speeches.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
A

B Don't even wait for Congress, just start slashing budgets.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
1- C. We must negotiate from a position of strength, and what's stronger than a bombing campaign!?

2- B. But, domestically, we should always be seen as the genial Gipper; running away with the power of the President should be a later resort. Right now we can just call Congress's bluff.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
C and B

The purpose of the federal government is foreign policy and little else. As such, we must cut the fat and strengthen the rest. Anyone not willing to get in line will be bombed back into the stone age. That includes those at home.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Though my revolver was taken from me before I could do the wretched, necessary deed, I press on in my quest to rid the planet of my presence. The White House kitchen is well-equipped for state dinners, entertaining high-profile guests and preparing gourmet meals to the First Family. To that end, it has an enormous oven. Big enough for a man to fit inside. I've measured. I slide into the cavernous chamber after setting the temperature to 500 degrees. This will be painful, but well worth it in the end. I await fiery death with a smile stretched across my face.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

C and B

Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran :v:

Indigo Jones
Jul 11, 2014

by zen death robot
A,B

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Homework Explainer posted:

Though my revolver was taken from me before I could do the wretched, necessary deed, I press on in my quest to rid the planet of my presence. The White House kitchen is well-equipped for state dinners, entertaining high-profile guests and preparing gourmet meals to the First Family. To that end, it has an enormous oven. Big enough for a man to fit inside. I've measured. I slide into the cavernous chamber after setting the temperature to 500 degrees. This will be painful, but well worth it in the end. I await fiery death with a smile stretched across my face.
I'll be looking forward to your post when we get to the assassination attempt.

My vote:

1 A -- there's too much attention from all sides on this so we have to go with a PR total victory. Leaving a hostage behind will play poorly for us, honest negotiations as a first solution is what weak people do, and yet we're at minimum a few weeks from a bombing run being spun in a way we can live with (ie. "left us with no choice"). So we go to the back room, turn the screws--resorting to horse trading if need be--and get her back.

2 B -- it's an easy one. Tell them you don't give a gently caress if they extend the debt or not, and paint them as the recession causers publicly. Hell, you can invoke Keynes if you need to. It's not the new millennium yet: deep hypocrisy can't be proven in real time and tweeting is a verb that is strictly bird-related. Make hay while the sun shines

Bhaal has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Feb 3, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If Reagan's voted to get assassinated later on, can we automatically continue this CYOA with Bush Sr?
If not, then we should probably not have him assassinated.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Grouchio posted:

If Reagan's voted to get assassinated later on, can we automatically continue this CYOA with Bush Sr?

We continue with Haig

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If Johnson’s dick has a nickname, Reagan’s needs one, too. We are going to be waving it a lot, after all.

I nominate “The Gipper”.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Platystemon posted:

If Johnson’s dick has a nickname, Reagan’s needs one, too. We are going to be waving it a lot, after all.

I nominate “The Gipper”.

Bonzo

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Please. If we play our cards right we could be in full thermonuclear war and martial law by '85. No assassination by anyone but the Secret Service or the military itself at that point.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
1: C: The President of the United States of America doesn't negotiate with terrorists. Period.
2: C: The President of the United States of America doesn't negotiate with terrorists. Period.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

quote:

How will you get House Democrats to raise the debt ceiling?
B: Call their bluff. Indicate you’d be happy to let them limit the size of the federal government for you, and that you will reduce federal spending per the current debt ceiling. Maybe that will scare them into raising it for you and let you dominate them.

Don Regan gulps like he has a scotch in his hand. “Are you sure?” You are. “I’ll prioritize payments in case they hold out and the whole country goes into default. Wait, there won’t be any money to pay with if this fails, will there?” Regan rubs his eyes. “I wish I had a scotch right about now.”

You release a cheery press statement thanking House Democrats for limiting spending and supporting smaller government and wait for the news to burst.

You expect the first complaining phone call to be from Tip O’Neill, but instead it’s from Caspar Weinberger. Cap ran budget matters for you in Sacramento and is now in charge of the Pentagon. “Mr. President, this place has needed a total restructure ever since Viet Nam ended. I can’t do that without funds. The Russians are spending 50% more annually on arms than we are. You’re going to make sure we get the money we need to get this place going again, right?” You give him your assurances but you stop and wonder about it after he hangs up.

The phone lights up with angry House Democrats demanding to know what you’re doing. Again, you thank them for their help and they ring off in panic. When he does finally call, Tip O’Neill is more sanguine. “If I ram this through, you will sign it? I don’t want to get bashed for gambling with America twice in one week.”

“Of course, Tip. Howard Baker’s going to sail that bill through the Senate once you’ve got it ready. I’m sorry if this seemed a bit harsh, but I felt I had to show I mean business about the budget. I want real reductions. I won’t stand for any showboating.”

“That makes sense. I suppose I should thank you, though, Mr. President. I had thought I’d have trouble corralling everyone in my party but after you made them look like idiots on the news, I don’t think I’ll be having that problem. My big challenge now may be getting them to work with you at all. I’ll see if we can get a vote today.”

February 6, 1981 – Happy birthday to you!

Your birthday presents include a raise in the debt ceiling and the resentment of House Democrats. The cake’s delicious, too.

Today you also gather your foreign policy experts to discuss the true end of the Iran hostage crisis and the way forward.

quote:

How did you secure the release of Cynthia Dwyer?
A: Quietly threaten not to release frozen Iranian assets unless Dwyer is released. We leave no one behind and Iran gets nothing until every American is out.

You had wondered what might scare the Iranian fanatics. It turned the answer was talking to you. Rather than risk reopening negotiations with a strong president, they cave and will let Dwyer go on February 9. You won’t have a reception for her. She was kind of an idiot and the country rapidly forgets about her, you included. You’ve written her name as “Dryer” in your diaries. Twice.

Now that that’s over and done with, you need to think of what to do with Iran. Reopening the embassy is out of the question, it will only lead to another hostage crisis eventually. America isn’t squared to invade, there’s no reason to currently, and it might provoke the Soviets, who share a land border with Iran and are currently occupying neighboring Afghanistan. But America isn’t the only country unhappy with Iran.

“Iraq declared war and invaded Iran in September,” says National Security Advisor Richard Allen, “and they made good progress up till now, but they’re being thrown back. In one sense, it was just a land grab for one of Iran’s more oil-rich provinces while the country was distracted by the revolution, but there are some more complex issues involved.

“Iran wants to promote Islamic revolution throughout the Moslem world. They want to set up holy dictatorships in other countries and lead them against the West and against the Soviet Union. The Ayatollah Khomeini specifically called for an Islamic revolution in Iraq, and that was the official provocation for Iraq to invade. For its part, Iraq is run by secular Arab nationalists. In the ‘60s, they made a pact with Egypt and Syria to create a united Arab republic, but that fell apart. Ever since Egypt made peace with Israel and became isolated from the other Arab states, Iraq has been trying to take Egypt’s old place as the leader of pan-Arab nationalism. If they can defeat the Ayatollah’s Islamic revolution, they’ll have it on top of more oil.”

“Who’s winning?”

“Nobody, really. Iraq almost took the province but they’re being beaten back at the moment. Iran has American arms to work with leftover from the Shah’s regime, and Iraq has only inferior Soviet weaponry. Iran’s not having any luck spreading Islamic revolution, though. The Ayatollah and his followers are Shi’ites --”

(You flick your eyebrows and get the laugh from everyone in the room.)

“ -- and most of the rest of the Moslem world are Sunnis. Iraq does have a significant Shi’ite population, though, as do several of our friends in the region, so they backed Iraq.”

“Where are the Russians in this?”

“The Soviets are backing Iraq. They have a large Moslem population, too. And Iran is anti-Soviet as well as anti-Western. Plus Iraq buys most of its arms from the U.S.S.R.”

“And the Israelis?”

“They hate everybody, sir.”

“Do we like Iraq?”

“We don’t have any formal differences with Iraq, sir, but,” Allen hesitates. “Iraq is a harsh dictatorship trying to conquer land for oil and prestige. It’s pro-Soviet and anti-Israel. And success will make Iraq the leader of the Arab world. The question is, do we want to work with that, or would we rather put up with the Ayatollah?”

What is your position on Iraq?
A:
Any enemy of Khomeini is a friend of America. Send advisors, arms, and war materiel to Iraq.
B: We’d like to show good will, but not get too involved. Send intelligence and CIA support to Iraq.
C: Both these countries sound like a nightmare. Stay out of the Iran-Iraq War.

Cap Weinberger barely glances up to mention El Salvador. Its American-friendly junta overthrew the government two years ago and has been trying to stop a Communist takeover ever since. Land reform was introduced last year but was opposed by the Salvadoran National Guard and several paramilitary outfits. Martial law was imposed as you entered the White House and the military has stepped up its efforts to crush the Communist FMLN rebels. Since the FMLN are largely hidden with the framework of labor unions, leftist groups, and ordinary citizens, that means wholesale violence to try to smoke out the rebels. There have been a number of massacres by Salvadoran military and paramilitary groups as a result, with about 12,000 deaths. Ten million dollars of American aid, half of it weapons and ammunition, was suspended in December after four American nuns were murdered. On January 10, the FMLN struck back, bringing two provinces under Communist control. The junta barely has control of the rest of the country and may well be turned out by its own military. Cap asks, “Are we going to fight the Communists in El Salvador? Or is the murder of American citizens more important than stopping Communism?”

What is your policy on El Salvador?
A:
Stop the Communists. Release the aid and hope the rule of law prevails.
B: Tie the release of American aid to the investigation of who murdered the nuns. If El Salvador isn’t serious about finding and prosecuting the murderers, they don’t get the aid.
C: Tie the release of American aid to peace negotiations between the junta, the National Guard, and the FMLN. Release enough to keep the junta and the Guard intact as long as the FMLN come to the table.

The meeting ends without much input from Secretary of State Alexander Haig. He’s fuming about something. You mean to ask what’s bothering him, but there’s cake.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
A — Iraq is not a country that we want to be friends with, but anyone who isn't named Khomeini is a friend of America that we need to support. These are trying times, and unfortunately that means that we have to be friends with countries that we really don't like much.
A — We need to stop the spread of global Communism, or every nun in the world is going to get purged for failing to pray to Comrade Stalin.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A - This Komeini guy is an rear end in a top hat, time we got our own back.
A - Pfft, all those so called 'innocent civilians' are probably just commie meat shields, better dead than red.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
1. C It sounds like they’re reasonably evenly matched. Why would I want to change that?

2. C I don’t care enough about the nuns to withhold aid over that, but I also don’t like the junta or national guard enough to just give it away. Try to get them to play nice together. It’s worth a shot.

2. B, I want to troll Haig. Plus it’s free points for “doing the right thing”, while not opening us to being soft on commies like option C.

Alexander Haig posted:

I’d like to suggest to you that some of the investigations would lead one to believe that perhaps the vehicle the nuns were riding in may have tried to run through a roadblock, or may have accidentally been perceived to have been doing so, and there may have been an exchange of fire, and then perhaps those who inflicted the casualties sought to cover it up.

We won’t be able to get anything done if he opens his mouth like that. If he says that in our timeline, don’t demand his resignation, fire him. This would make the assassination attempt interesting.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 09:38 on Feb 5, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

A and A. Squeamishness about supporting dictators cost us Vietnam, and no one's going to be falling to Communism on our watch.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

A and A

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

A and A

If we can't make Reagan start WW3 or commit suicide, we may as well make him into a Hollywood Liberal.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
A and A.

The answer to What Would Ronald Reagan Do (WWRRD) is always: Cause as much human suffering and misery as possible, being fully aware that you will have the support of white christian middle America at all times.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What did we do IRL? Whatever it was don't do it.

C and B

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Are the bombs flying yet?

No?

Then it's gotta be A and A.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
"Any enemy of Khomeini is a friend of America"

Careful what you wish for, 'pardner. Russia is an enemy of Khomeini. You some sort of commie?

1. C Helping Iraq helps our real enemy: Russia. And this particular dumpster fire is in their back yard so let it burn. That being said, I doubt Iraq can conquer Iran, it's too big, so if it wins it will at most just destabilize Iran. If or when that happens, then we can move in on the cheap to find an ally and give them assistance to establish a position of power.

2. A For our hemisphere, on the other hand, the encroachment of Communism is firmly unacceptable. Impress on our people that when they work out the logistics with the other side for sending aid, they should be making some admonishing noises about civilian massacres

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

A I'm sure this Saddam fellow will see the light of America once we give him stuff.

A :airquote: Innocent civilians :airquote:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
C - Neither of these horses seem like a winner. Let them fight among themselves and once it's over we'll swoop in and pick apart what's left of the winner. The Middle East is two-thousand years behind the rest of civilization, a brief occupation shouldn't be too difficult and will probably pay for itself.

B - If we're willing to go to the mat (or at least bluff that we will) for a filthy, worthless, scumbag journalist just because they were blessed with the good fortune to be born in America, we absolutely need to do the same for the four Nuns who are kneeling at the foot of God Himself. Either those who dared to disrespect Jesus Christ the Lord will be punished for their crimes, preferably in an American court, or not a single penny will find its way to El Salvador.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
C
B

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

They've locked the doors and kept me from the public for two days now. "The flu," they say. Curse the aide who told Secret Service of my plan! But they can't keep me from cleaning myself. And they couldn't keep me from my morning toast. They've forgotten about the Dazy DET 200 I tucked away in the closet. As I run water for what will be my final bath and plug the toaster in, ready for the two to meet in crackling harmony, I say a silent prayer of thanks for being so close to death's sweet release.

R. Guyovich has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Feb 10, 2016

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

C - Let them eat each other.
A - Nuns are Catholic and thus second only to Communism in terms of threatening America. No big loss.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Are we supposed to do what Reagan would have done? Or what a decent person would do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The X-man cometh posted:

Are we supposed to do what Reagan would have done? Or what a decent person would do?

Good question. It’s interesting that in the LBJ CYOA, arguing for the most expedient course of action seems to be the norm, but here it’s hard to resist acting like Ronnie Raygun.

• Locked thread