Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

Skirmishers aren't weak or bad, they fit in pretty well with the rest of the base classes. Its more because Reapers and Templars are wildly OP. Skirmishers by comparison are just kind of average.

This for sure, reapers take the cake for being hilariously broken once you get the skill that doesn't break their concealment when they land a killing blow with their rifle, since you can spend one turn blowing up a pod with a claymore, while the rest of your concealed troops run ahead, then pick off the stragglers on the next turn as they scatter uselessly (or in my case, clump around the purifier with 2 health left)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
If anyone's not loving Skirmisher, grab Wrath. It's fantastic- it lets you flank one or more enemies, with tech 2 it stuns, and if the grapple hits (aka your skirmisher is launched into the middle of a goddamn pod), the ripjack strike is guaranteed. It's not restricted to humanoid targets either, so you can start using it to stun aliens (except for Mutons, because it still counts as melee). And if you're using Wrath to open, you'll still have grapple and a second action left.

Even without a bondmate, they can stun a berserker, stun or kill another enemy in high cover, and if you want, be halfway across the map in a single turn.

It's hard to compete with Remote Start (i have now soloed two supply raids with a reaper), but even so I find Skirmisher the most satisfying.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like how people are calling the class with 2 almost guarenteed stuns in a single turn 'average'.

Its like they're infinite use Frost Bombs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
honestly the new faction i like least is the templars

they're nice and all but

when you have someone flipping around with a grappling hook, attacking 2-3 times a turn, and stunning motherfuckers left and right, that's valuable.

when you have someone able to dash ahead without giving a single gently caress and set up explosive traps that will absolutely wipe an entire pod and finish off lucky idiots without blowing their cover, that's valuable

when you're like "uh i have a really good dash and slash class" after that i'm just like "yeah so do i he's called a ranger"

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Coolguye posted:

they're nice and all but

when you have someone flipping around with a grappling hook, attacking 2-3 times a turn, and stunning motherfuckers left and right, that's valuable.

when you have someone able to dash ahead without giving a single gently caress and set up explosive traps that will absolutely wipe an entire pod and finish off lucky idiots without blowing their cover, that's valuable

when you're like "uh i have a really good dash and slash class" after that i'm just like "yeah so do i he's called a ranger"

Templars do more damage than sword rangers, and parry combined with the damage reflection ability makes them very survivable.

The fact they also become immune to environmental hazards, never miss, and can clone themselves late game just adds to their insane power. They're amazing at every stage of the game.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

A templar without bladestorm or reaper should go to the glue factory as Beagle mentioned recently :v:

Parry, Ionic Storm and Ghost are really powerful though but you have to chew through chumps to power the latter two.
They can also do some hilarious tagteaming with a ranger with exchange.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was sad to learn that the ghost does not survive a transport into a Chosen or Avatar arena.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

I like how people are calling the class with 2 almost guarenteed stuns in a single turn 'average'.

Except frost bombs hit in an AOE so they can disable entire pods, don't require you being out of cover to utilize, and can't miss. Frost bombs, stasis, and mimic beacons are all disables with zero risk and little to no setup required. That's why I consider them OP while I don't think the same of Skirmishers.

Angrymantium posted:

Templars do more damage than sword rangers, and parry combined with the damage reflection ability makes them very survivable.

The fact they also become immune to environmental hazards, never miss, and can clone themselves late game just adds to their insane power. They're amazing at every stage of the game.

Yeah Templars don't feel broken until you realize how much you can abuse parry with them. Parry lets them 1v1 tons of enemies with no risk. If you have fortress, they can 1v1 basically everything. If you use a Templar properly you can exploit the AI to always attack them and waste their moves.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Coolguye posted:

they're nice and all but

Try spending your focus on abilities.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
Just got the templars and met Geist. Why did they make him so unlikeable? He comes off as creepy and insincere.

Also, I'm basically doing "ironman" (honestman), because I've heard about game ending bugs for people running Ironman on reddit. But according to this thread, Ironman runs fine. Has anyone had any big game breaking bugs happen with it yet?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Amish Ninja posted:

Just got the templars and met Geist. Why did they make him so unlikeable? He comes off as creepy and insincere.

Because he is creepy and insincere. I guarantee he's gonna have malevolent intentions in the next game.

quote:

Also, I'm basically doing "ironman" (honestman), because I've heard about game ending bugs for people running Ironman on reddit. But according to this thread, Ironman runs fine. Has anyone had any big game breaking bugs happen with it yet?

I mean I literally had my savefile deleted by a crash so that's probably a good idea.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Angrymantium posted:

I'm always surprised that people consider skirmishers weak. Their mobility and ability to pull enemies out of cover gives you so many more options in combat.

Even after the early game, when your enemies stop being all humanoid, they can stil use multiple free action attacks and shoot twice.
Imagine a reaper that could miss the claymore. Or a templar that could parry on a 3 turn cooldown. That's what skirmishers are.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Internet Kraken posted:

Because he is creepy and insincere. I guarantee he's gonna have malevolent intentions in the next game.

Yeah, pretty sure the eldritch things ie the putty monsters from Apocalypse the Elders are protecting us from are going to be psi-based so the Templars are an easy in for 'em.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Internet Kraken posted:

Point out the obvious, why don't you.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Is it worth it to spend the 10bux for Shen's Gift at this point after the expansion? Are the mechs and mission worth it? I like using machines in the earlier xcoms, but not if they've been made worthless.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I have still never gotten my drat Templar to proc Reflect.
Just once I'd like her to throw a beam back in the face of some jackass

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ahahah shooting from Interrupt counts as a headshot
Reaper on a Templar doing a Lost mission is pretty hilarious too

Lost missions are like Harlem Globetrotters mode for XCOM

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So if you get suppressed but have shadowstep, the suppression doesn't trigger when you move but you maintain the aim penalty? That makes no loving sense.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

It's interesting how every single new class is useless to some people and completely broken for others.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Just FYI Advent towers can see through walls.

Edit: And the easiest way to crash the game is to try hitting a tricky shot with an explosive that causes the effect sphere to jump around a lot.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 23, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mystic Stylez posted:

It's interesting how every single new class is useless to some people and completely broken for others.

It's nice that the game supports so many playstyles.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Zore posted:

My frost bombs can't activate other pods, my skirmisher going into melee range can. I'd rather use my disable before things get out of hand, which means I'll just freeze whatever's left of a pod I couldn't alpha strike properly. Reaper scouting can make the use of a ripjack less risky, but it's still either a little dangerous or poor action economy compared to a grenade, a stasis or a beacon.
They do well in brawls, but there's pretty much no reason to use them in typical ironman missions where you carefully clean the map one pod at a time.

And yeah, the fact pretty much all my templars somehow roll bladestorm means skirmishers always are far weaker than the other two hero classes in my campaigns. Hell, by the time you get Battlelord, you can easily get the hunter's rifle and a snake/wraith suit which turn your sniper into everything the skirmisher ever wanted to be. Skirmishers are just very average in a game where nearly all other characters are either good or overpowered mid/late game. They're fine early on though.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 23, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The "timer doesn't run down until the squad breaks concealment" resistance order turns some missions into Metal Gear levels of sneaking behind shrubs and it's really fun. That should be a Second Wave option.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My first templar died trying to melee a muton

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Most times I try to do that the line of play mechanics gently caress me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shumagorath posted:

The "timer doesn't run down until the squad breaks concealment" resistance order turns some missions into Metal Gear levels of sneaking behind shrubs and it's really fun. That should be a Second Wave option.

The one that doubles all timers basically does that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Try spending your focus on abilities.

the only one i've found a lot of use for is amplify on hard targets honestly, but my templar is currently a captain

Lima posted:

A templar without bladestorm or reaper should go to the glue factory as Beagle mentioned recently :v:
this, however, makes a huge amount of sense and i can see why i didn't have the greatest experience the first time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ironic that Reaper the class can't use Reaper the ability

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ironic that Reaper the class can't use Reaper the ability

I keep thinking Templars have Fortress then getting surprised when they can't run through the acid bomb I used to set up a sick bladestorm multi-kill for them.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I really need to learn the tile radius on the mech's rocket salvo, andromedon bomb, and codex bubble.
I am getting rocketed far too much.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
A Templar with Fortress, Reaper, and Bladestorm is God's Favored Son.

Even having only one of those abilities takes Templar from Good to Great.

Not having ANY of them does kind of stunt them though.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
My templars get killed in facilities every time. Turrets.

temple fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 23, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just realized 30 hours in that I have two grenadiers both nicknamed Gunner and I didn't notice, which led to a lot of confusion about why Gunner was able to go on missions despite being shot. :v:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I thought I was so smooth moving my reaper from civilian to civilian until a faceless burst out and revealed her to a nearby pod who blew her away.

I forget about them every drat time.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Just lmao if you don't grenade every single civilian you come across

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 23, 2017

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

A Templar with Fortress, Reaper, and Bladestorm is God's Favored Son.

Even having only one of those abilities takes Templar from Good to Great.

Not having ANY of them does kind of stunt them though.

This exactly; while bladestorm is really good on them (I never got it on mine sadly), as long as they get one of those they get very good. Fortress alone is incredible for them since they just don't give a poo poo about anything and can freely suicide charge into purifiers/sectopods/fuel tanks.

I feel they really start to become good once they get to captain and start with a single focus and can have enemies that die randomly drop focus, then they can really go nuts with their skills and not even feel the dent when they summon their ghost to act like a bullet sponge.

The skill that uses up all of their focus for an aoe feels kinda lackluster though, since by the time you get it, you likely wont be finishing many enemies with it (I'd rather keep 3 focus for the buffs). That said, having 3 focus basically makes a templar into stunlancer levels of rng bullshit, since it gets a ton of dodge, mobility and +3 rend damage, though I don't know if it applies to the skill that lets you fire off a shockwave when you use rend. I haven't really tried parry yet since I've found with all of that mobility, I can easily run off and hide them somewhere else after rending someone's butthole.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

snoremac posted:

I thought I was so smooth moving my reaper from civilian to civilian until a faceless burst out and revealed her to a nearby pod who blew her away.

I forget about them every drat time.

I use my ranger for civvy rescue, my reaper is being paid to be an anti social demolitions expert with good eyes.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Is the mod to give up more faction dudes on the workshop?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Haha, I take out the Chosen Hunter in two rounds, no reinforcements, he doesn't get a chance to do anything. The poster's randomly generated caption is "The Aliens Will Know Fear!".

You're goddamned right, poster :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Using a Reaper to scout ahead in the Chosen stronghold (Warlock in this case) is almost better than how they perform on rescue duty in retaliation missions. I'm able to keep everyone in cover while I pop doors open and closed to obscure sight lines for perfect dynamic entries, abuse remote start to scatter packs into unfavourable cover and claymore the survivors. Elena is a one-woman army.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Is the mod to give up more faction dudes on the workshop?
Take two and call me with a poem about Reapers.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1126788564
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1136550654