Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah everything vaguely explosive counts including flashbangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For some, like gas grenades it doesn't make sense. But stuff like shredstorm cannons are so destructive and loud they should activate every pod on the map.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think it's just supposed to be 'very loud noises', but honestly normal gunfire is loud as gently caress anyways so it's arbitrary.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Coolguye posted:

feel free to come back to share stories or ask advice, friend!

Will do. It's gonna be an all anime character squad so be forewarned

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I always likened the Lost activation thing to being brought on by the concussive effect of popping a grenade / car / suspiciously explosive generator. They're supposed to have a hive mind, right? It's like a pulse in a cluster pings a bunch of lost entities at once, whereas taking them down one by one is a much less notable ping for the hive.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jenny Angel posted:

Will do. It's gonna be an all anime character squad so be forewarned

we will be very interested to hear which waifu survives the trial by fire

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Serephina posted:

I think it's just supposed to be 'very loud noises', but honestly normal gunfire is loud as gently caress anyways so it's arbitrary.

Yeah, but trust me, that many Lost on the map would make most missions impossible

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I survived the Lost World bug of 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Lost World should be the way the game works by default imo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There was a bug that makes lost world continue being effective until you get a mission specifically with a lost related sitrep, and it loving owned. I won a ton of missions by camping on top of ladders and just devastating the map with explosives :buddy: Advent would be too busy trying to swim through the 20 or so lost surrounding them that I'd pick them off, mop up the lost, and hit the extraction point.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
One of the Chosen stole my best Ranger like four months ago. Am I supposed to get a Rescue mission by now or is it simply RNG? That Ranger had the Chosen Assassin's items :( I've already killed all three Chosen, did I gently caress up?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
what do you think powered those crypt-monoliths? :(

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Ah goddamnit, I was struggling to put together a squad to assault the chosen assassin after suffering a full wipe on a supply run mission, and was one day away from healing my last guy up, when the chosen assaulted the Avenger.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So I've been playing war of the chosen with the other dlc integrated, and the shen's last gift stuff just isn't firing. Is there something specific I need to do for this? I'm pretty far in and just did the section where you get downed by the UFO.

Also lol bladestorm with the chosen katana is just a 'win' button in so many situations. Very few enemies can take a slash that ignores armour and then auto triggers another attack as soon as their turn starts. On the few lost only missions I just send that guy because he literally cannot die to melee only units.

On alien hunters, is it implied that vahlen created them? Am I missing a huge plot point here?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ThomasPaine posted:

So I've been playing war of the chosen with the other dlc integrated, and the shen's last gift stuff just isn't firing. Is there something specific I need to do for this? I'm pretty far in and just did the section where you get downed by the UFO.

Also lol bladestorm with the chosen katana is just a 'win' button in so many situations. Very few enemies can take a slash that ignores armour and then auto triggers another attack as soon as their turn starts. On the few lost only missions I just send that guy because he literally cannot die to melee only units.

On alien hunters, is it implied that vahlen created them? Am I missing a huge plot point here?

The problem here is that you have Integrated the DLC. This actually disables the unique missions associated with those DLC's, and thus removing any free items, weapons or SPARKs, requiring you to sink time and resources into acquiring them. And also depriving you of important information, in the case of the lore surrounding the Alien Rulers.

If you wish to see the missions introduced by those DLC's, you'll need to start a new campaign, and not integrate the DLC. Otherwise, you can build the unique weapons/grenade and any SPARKs you want at the Proving Grounds.

One big reason (as far as I know) that Integrating the DLC disables those missions is because of length. Shen's Last Gift's mission in particular is *excessively* long (though fun), and thus doesn't play nice with the new fatigue system, which was not present prior to WotC. As for the Alien Rulers DLC, the mission isn't as long, but with the way they've set the Alien Rulers to be guarding Avatar Facilities now, that mission becomes a bit... mutually exclusive with that idea, as doing that mission activates all three - though you will only ever deal with one at a time, naturally. With the DLC integrated, each one is activated separately, at different facilities; assuming you even let them escape. With the Alien Nest mission, you get a chance to fight one of them, but the other two activate at the same time, though you generally keep seeing the same ruler (when one shows up) until it has either escaped several times, or dies. If it escapes enough times, it tends to swap out and let one of the others start showing up for a while.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 19, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nearly got hosed out of a campaign again, even with a savegame from the last mission I completed. Thankfully I had a save from before the last supply drop, and speeding through missions from it didn't results in crashing at the same window of time.

Thinking on it, the last mission I had completed before the crashes started happening again had me farming the poo poo out of the Lost. Probably should stop poking at that beehive of potential trouble.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

toasterwarrior posted:

Nearly got hosed out of a campaign again, even with a savegame from the last mission I completed. Thankfully I had a save from before the last supply drop, and speeding through missions from it didn't results in crashing at the same window of time.

Thinking on it, the last mission I had completed before the crashes started happening again had me farming the poo poo out of the Lost. Probably should stop poking at that beehive of potential trouble.

Good idea. I've had the game crash due to volume of corpses before, though in my case it was the Avenger Defense mission. I was experimenting with that "Wibbles" friendly AI mod, and didn't want to leave him before; he refused to head to the evac zone, though. IIRC, he did make an adjustment to his behavior after I mentioned that at the time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Good idea. I've had the game crash due to volume of corpses before, though in my case it was the Avenger Defense mission. I was experimenting with that "Wibbles" friendly AI mod, and didn't want to leave him before; he refused to head to the evac zone, though. IIRC, he did make an adjustment to his behavior after I mentioned that at the time.

Yeah, the weird thing about my crashes is that any mission after the last "clean" mission you run will load at first and let you finish it, and then it'll always crash upon loading the mission complete dropship ride. No direct correlation between that and killing a hundred zombies in your last successful mission, but gently caress it, might as well play it safe moving forward.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

BlazetheInferno posted:

The problem here is that you have Integrated the DLC. This actually disables the unique missions associated with those DLC's, and thus removing any free items, weapons or SPARKs, requiring you to sink time and resources into acquiring them. And also depriving you of important information, in the case of the lore surrounding the Alien Rulers.

If you wish to see the missions introduced by those DLC's, you'll need to start a new campaign, and not integrate the DLC. Otherwise, you can build the unique weapons/grenade and any SPARKs you want at the Proving Grounds.

One big reason (as far as I know) that Integrating the DLC disables those missions is because of length. Shen's Last Gift's mission in particular is *excessively* long (though fun), and thus doesn't play nice with the new fatigue system, which was not present prior to WotC. As for the Alien Rulers DLC, the mission isn't as long, but with the way they've set the Alien Rulers to be guarding Avatar Facilities now, that mission becomes a bit... mutually exclusive with that idea, as doing that mission activates all three - though you will only ever deal with one at a time, naturally. With the DLC integrated, each one is activated separately, at different facilities; assuming you even let them escape. With the Alien Nest mission, you get a chance to fight one of them, but the other two activate at the same time, though you generally keep seeing the same ruler (when one shows up) until it has either escaped several times, or dies. If it escapes enough times, it tends to swap out and let one of the others start showing up for a while.

what an utterly strange design choice, but thanks for clearing it up!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah, the missions are working fine again. Happy I get to continue, but now I'm all paranoid about Lost missions. Probably should savescum them away; it's not like there's any challenge at all in them at this point.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You can always add in the "Rend the Lost" mod, which gives melee attacks the headshot quality such that Rangers and Templar can mop up an entire map of Lost in one turn. The problem is that the Templar's momentum ability isn't coded for this and sometimes gives you an extra move for every Lost you shank, and in general allows you to sort of "double-jump", so if there's an enemy two turns away you can kill a Lost halfway and you essentially start your turn there.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's not doing the missions that's the problem, it's that from what I can conclude (on bad evidence I guess, but it worked so) racking up Lost kills might gently caress with the campaign due to their sheer numbers. I farmed that broken mission and all, but poo poo can get wild pretty quickly with all the explosives I may use so who knows how stuff can escalate.

Skipping out on a mission is also bad; I do want to fight aliens since that's the whole point.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You can definitely use Lost to easily get rookies to squaddie rank but as you go up in ranks they become fairly worthless XP-wise - using Rend The Lost I had a Templar major kill something like 30+ lost on top of at least 5 aliens and it wasn't enough to level him up.

As far as playing them without using explosives, I wouldn't really worry. Invest in enough vests or ammo, if you can make it, and go to town with guns. If you've got the mod that balances Lost targeting to make you on even ground with the aliens, they can actually be a boon if you don't rely on overwatch shots (which you usually shouldn't).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, Lost kills give gently caress-all for EXP.

I have a pistol sharpshooter with almost 200 kills, the majority of them Lost, and he's only a Major.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Has anyone ever had some of their soldiers start the mission with depleted ammo? Occasionally a couple of my guys will start with half or less ammo. I dunno if a mod would cause it but I really only use cosmetic and QOL stuff like evac-all and the like.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Has anyone ever had some of their soldiers start the mission with depleted ammo? Occasionally a couple of my guys will start with half or less ammo. I dunno if a mod would cause it but I really only use cosmetic and QOL stuff like evac-all and the like.

This usually happens with soldiers you rescue and add to your roster through faction missions. For whatever reason, they keep their ammo count from where it was when the mission ends. It can also happen with any soldiers that spawn mid-mission, like during the Avenger assault.

Its a dumb bug.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just finished the game. The end mission was waaay more fun and intense than the one in XCom EU. Now to mod the poo poo out of this game outside of info displays and QoL improvements.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Now the real fight begins

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Is there a known bug (and fix) for faction soldiers losing all upgrades on their weapons, or am I going to have to comb through my mods to see which one is doing it? I'm dreading that answer as I'm not using anything that affects weapons as far as I know.

Twice in the same game now I've had my Skirmisher and my Reaper turn up with a bare weapon when I had previously upgraded it. I've only got one of each, so it's not like I took it off them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

It is more that the squad you send to fight them will be out of commission for a while due to fatigue so it only really works to take them out when you are in a relatively stable position.

This was from a while ago but I assume from this answer that the Chosen Stronghold mission counts as two separate missions for fatigue purposes? That would indeed be brutal in terms of recovery time.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

This was from a while ago but I assume from this answer that the Chosen Stronghold mission counts as two separate missions for fatigue purposes? That would indeed be brutal in terms of recovery time.

It seems like it has a special fatigue cost as in it would send even a fully rested soldier into needing time off after just one mission.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

It seems like it has a special fatigue cost as in it would send even a fully rested soldier into needing time off after just one mission.

I see. Well, running three teams of soldiers is working out alright and I already have a couple of max rank soldiers so I guess I might as well send the most experienced dudes to the party. Plenty of killing from the rest of the month's missions anyway.

Thanks!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Each enemy you encounter puts a small hit on your soldiers will which contributes to fatigue. The DLC story missions are build around swarming you with endless waves of weak enemies that will completely drain a squad's will by the time they're done.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Isn't there a set cap for how much will a soldier can lose in a mission from encountering aliens? At least, there certainly is for Lost; otherwise I'd have one or two occasions where my whole squad should've had zero will left instead of the usual -15 or so.

It's why I figured the Chosen Stronghold mission would be extra tough on will; I know it's two phases so maybe each counts as a seperate "mission".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Is there a known bug (and fix) for faction soldiers losing all upgrades on their weapons, or am I going to have to comb through my mods to see which one is doing it? I'm dreading that answer as I'm not using anything that affects weapons as far as I know.

Twice in the same game now I've had my Skirmisher and my Reaper turn up with a bare weapon when I had previously upgraded it. I've only got one of each, so it's not like I took it off them.

I’ve run into this bug too. They wouldn’t happen to have gotten injured on covert ops, would they?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Is it just the "make weapons available" button getting overzealous, that's been an issue for me. I wound up painting all my modded weapons bright colours so it's easy to spot at a glance who's got an unmodded gun.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lagomorphic posted:

Is it just the "make weapons available" button getting overzealous, that's been an issue for me. I wound up painting all my modded weapons bright colours so it's easy to spot at a glance who's got an unmodded gun.

:cripes: I wish I'd thought of that, that would have made life so much easier

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

If it makes you feel any better I was on like my 9th playthrough before i thought of it.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 21, 2018

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure just GOING on a covert OP unequips soldiers, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
If you're on a Windows PC, it shouldn't be happening anymore since the October patch, the issue was found due to the one instance of the game not filtering out soldiers on covert actions: when you first open the squad select screen for another mission while a covert action is in progress.

If you're on Mac/Linux/Consoles, at this point it's looking like you're all poo poo out of luck because there's no way the porting companies used to outsource development for your platform wouldn't have gotten something out the door by now if 2K was still interested in fully supporting the game.