Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cosmic Afro posted:

To be fair, 'dash then attack' is something all melee attackers can do. Your ranger can do it. ADVENT Stun Lancers can do it.

... Presumably Muton Berserkers can, too. Oh god.

I'm pretty sure zombies can't, but they might be the only ones.

edit: And the faceless too...

fspades fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I too witnessed the one magical moment when everyone was banned.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lotish posted:

Did this happen to anyone else?

Pomp posted:

what happened

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Zomborgon posted:

So, multiplayer's going to be bugged again?

:golfclap:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lotish posted:

Did this happen to anyone else?

Yes, in every thread.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bremen posted:

To those not watching, the devs just had a soldier run up to a corner, revealed a chryssalid, and it ran over to the soldier and stabbed him on its reveal move.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ADVENT is on to us. Stay safe comrades. :tinfoil:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

DrManiac posted:

It's like they had a big list of optimal strategies for each enemy in the last game.

Well they were Beaglerush fans. They had detailed examples of dealing with every enemy in every conceivable scenario without losing anyone.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I mean, "run away from the melee death machine charging towards you" isn't exactly next-level strats.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Do we know the release time yet? Need to know if it is worth cashing in sick time.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Pomp posted:

what happened

Big thing is that chrysallids can charge into a melee attack on their dash move like every other melee unit including XCOM rangers. On Legendary they have something like 12 health and 1 armor, and the new dash rules means that they can come barreling out of the fog of war and still get a melee attack off. Melee attacks still poison and can also score critical hits. They have some degree of dodge like Vipers do, so half damage hits aren't uncommon on legendary. They can burrow somewhere and if you discover them on your turn they unburrow and get one action which they can use to charge in and melee your soldiers. If they kill a unit (including a civilian) it turns into a cocoon with a ridiculous amount of health on Legendary difficulty that pops out one baby chrysallid per turn for the next three turns unless destroyed, though baby chrysallids only have half the health of the adults (and might have some other reduced stats, I'm not sure).

Basically they're a lot scarier this time around, though a bladestorm ranger might stand a little bit more of a chance provided the ranger doesn't miss.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

LightWarden posted:

Big thing is that chrysallids can charge into a melee attack on their dash move like every other melee unit including XCOM rangers. On Legendary they have something like 12 health and 1 armor, and the new dash rules means that they can come barreling out of the fog of war and still get a melee attack off. Melee attacks still poison and can also score critical hits. They have some degree of dodge like Vipers do, so half damage hits aren't uncommon on legendary. They can burrow somewhere and if you discover them on your turn they unburrow and get one action which they can use to charge in and melee your soldiers. If they kill a unit (including a civilian) it turns into a cocoon with a ridiculous amount of health on Legendary difficulty that pops out one baby chrysallid per turn for the next three turns unless destroyed, though baby chrysallids only have half the health of the adults (and might have some other reduced stats, I'm not sure).

Basically they're a lot scarier this time around, though a bladestorm ranger might stand a little bit more of a chance provided the ranger doesn't miss.

That sounds scary as gently caress. I think I might just play my first game on normal...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Its more than likely that beagle will rise on the third day and present us all with strategies to beat back the Aliens with.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Josef bugman posted:

Its more than likely that beagle will rise on the third day and present us all with strategies to beat back the Aliens with.

Even were that to happen, the trick then is in how you execute them on constantly randomized maps. And under the pressure of chryssalids threatening to slice and dice your mom out in the field, or something.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The best is gonna be when you run up to save a civilian from a Cryssalid and it's a Faceless. LOL welcome to X-COM Lyfe you sorry son of a bitch.

Edit: still a ranger with Blade Storm and a good sword can clown the 'Lids all day.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

LightWarden posted:

They have some degree of dodge like Vipers do, so half damage hits aren't uncommon on legendary. They can burrow somewhere and if you discover them on your turn they unburrow and get one action which they can use to charge in and melee your soldiers.
This seems kind of over the top, especially when missions put you on a timer, as it seems like you simply can't have two people covering your advance with overwatch all the time.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
"Why aren't the poison rounds working? So useless!"

"Uh, Chryssalids are immune to poison"

"D'oh!"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
For those of you wondering about the artbook RE spoilers, there doesn't seem to be anything in there that they haven't shown publicly, except maybe the final picture of the book, which is unlabeled but might depict a contagion zone area, as described in the novelization.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bremen posted:

To those not watching, the devs just had a soldier run up to a corner, revealed a chryssalid, and it ran over to the soldier and stabbed him on its reveal move.

Yesssss :unsmigghh:

I want it to be like the original x-com. Brutal as loving poo poo unless you're encased in the best armor in the game.

I've been thrown through the Darkest Dungeon gauntlet and I'm totally ready to ironman and see all my guys die permanently. Once more into the breach, soldiers! The one with the rifle shoots, when the one with the rifle gets killed, the one following him picks it up and shoots!

:commissar:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The best is gonna be when you run up to save a civilian from a Cryssalid and it's a Faceless. LOL welcome to X-COM Lyfe you sorry son of a bitch.

Edit: still a ranger with Blade Storm and a good sword can clown the 'Lids all day.

:xcom: :darksouls:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 28, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i want ot play this game

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Pomp posted:

i want ot play this game

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

i want ot play this game

It's gonna be so good

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Where's the cheapest place to get it right now? I heard a few places were selling it for 25-30% off and wondered where the most reputable deal was.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Where's the cheapest place to get it right now? I heard a few places were selling it for 25-30% off and wondered where the most reputable deal was.

GMG, might not get it in time to preload

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Zaphod42 posted:

Yesssss :unsmigghh:

I want it to be like the original x-com. Brutal as loving poo poo unless you're encased in the best armor in the game.

I've been thrown through the Darkest Dungeon gauntlet and I'm totally ready to ironman and see all my guys die permanently. Once more into the breach, soldiers! The one with the rifle shoots, when the one with the rifle gets killed, the one following him picks it up and shoots!

:commissar:

Why not, lets go full imperial guard on these Xenos mother fuckers.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I want a TFTD mod so bad.

I'm a programmer though and what it needs most are art assets.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Bremen posted:

Ok I'm gonna avoid any missions that take place in Newfoundland TYVM.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's probably going to be a mod to work undersea stuff into the base game.

X-Com: Rising Tide.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Terrorists From the Deep" is still the better thread title imo.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Kai Tave posted:

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
for anyone else binging on EW/Long War before launch, someone has just modded up an XCOM2-style LOS indicator :3:

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/666/

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

He can save that one for the TFTD DLC

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
TFTD would be really good with some space-y ambient music instead of action movie type stuff we have now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTXeWIL1vhA

idk what youcould do for combat though. definitely something leaning towards downbeat

edit:wrong link

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sharrow posted:

for anyone else binging on EW/Long War before launch, someone has just modded up an XCOM2-style LOS indicator :3:

Muchos thanks. Might even be bearable to do that last playthrough now...eventually.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pomp posted:

TFTD would be really good with some space-y ambient music instead of action movie type stuff we have now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTXeWIL1vhA

idk what youcould do for combat though. definitely something leaning towards downbeat

edit:wrong link

Or just stick with the original, which holds up nicely.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sharrow posted:

Has anyone done up a "this is the overwatching rear end in a top hat, right here" indicator outside of LW yet, because god drat I just lost a Colonel to a mistake about which alien was overwatching and quit in goddamned self-disgust :mad:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I want this game an unreasonable amount.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I will...play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Joust posted:

I will...play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5O-nUiZ_0

"It's so eeeea-sy. When you know the rules.
It's so eeeea-sy. All you have to do is ayy lmao."