Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

temple posted:

In honor of the eclipse, I beat veteran and X Com 2 for the first time. The game is better than the previous ones by a large margin but it's harder in every way too.

Question for the pros: how early should the psionic lab be built? I feel like I neglect it and end up without any psi-soliders when they could be useful.

It's really a choice of if you want it or not. Psi-troopers are loving amazing but it's very much a tradeoff. You get the requisite research early but it takes so much resources you have to chose if you want them. Later on you can get them and gently caress around, but at the same time you've lost some of the lead-up to get more than 1-2 really strong psykers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
One thing I hope the expansion does is either make Elerium Cores plentiful/craftable or let me pick the outcome of projects if they're going to stay rare. The craftable cores mod was a godsend and even then I ran out in the late game.

temple posted:

In honor of the eclipse, I beat veteran and X Com 2 for the first time. The game is better than the previous ones by a large margin but it's harder in every way too.

Question for the pros: how early should the psionic lab be built? I feel like I neglect it and end up without any psi-soliders when they could be useful.
I think I built one early last time I played on Normal (one above easiest) and just parked a single Master Librarian in there until he had everything trained. The guy came out late but incredibly overpowered and was saved from bleeding out on the last mission by a single action.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 22, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Exposure posted:

He took a non-kill shot beforehand, which meant that Silent Killer only stopped the increase from 50% to 80%, not the initial 0% to 50% chance. (So actual bug is that the UI should indicate the different chances depending on when it's a kill shot or not when applicable.)

Ah, that's better then.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I like A Better Advent 2 a lot, but it's pretty rough early on, even on Veteran, until you get all of the squad size upgrades, given that the mod increases pod sizes in addition to other things.

Also Sectoid Soldiers in Operation Gatecrasher is nasty, and I lost two of my rookies. The Advent Gunslingers seem to love using Faceoff as well, and I'm definitely getting more wounds than vanilla.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Colgate posted:

I like A Better Advent 2 a lot, but it's pretty rough early on, even on Veteran, until you get all of the squad size upgrades, given that the mod increases pod sizes in addition to other things.

Also Sectoid Soldiers in Operation Gatecrasher is nasty, and I lost two of my rookies. The Advent Gunslingers seem to love using Faceoff as well, and I'm definitely getting more wounds than vanilla.

ABA2 is definitely balanced for squads of 6-8, not 4-6.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Did they ever fix Wet Work so it's not useless? I remember it was insanely powerful at launch, they patched it but inadvertently broke it and made it useless in the process, and then I never saw if I got fixed to work correctly again.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Backhand posted:

Did they ever fix Wet Work so it's not useless? I remember it was insanely powerful at launch, they patched it but inadvertently broke it and made it useless in the process, and then I never saw if I got fixed to work correctly again.

Um perhaps I'm forgetting something, but all I remember is that Wet Work used to apply retroactively (meaning you got the exp you would have been getting up to that point, in one big dump, for every soldier that had earned exp) as soon as you researched it.

Which makes sense to fix. It's always been really good early in the game if you could spare the supplies.

Edit: I'm thinking about trying a legend run that goes straight for psi asap, I've never tried to rush it, it's always an afterthought.

wuffles fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 22, 2017

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just ordered from GreenManGaming for -15%. Interestingly the price showed as only -5% before I logged in, so it may be worth doing that to see what happens.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
can some1 explain the integrated dlc option in wolc.. why does disabling the story missions mean the dlc is better integrated. i havent played them and i dont want to ruin the expansion

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

can some1 explain the integrated dlc option in wolc.. why does disabling the story missions mean the dlc is better integrated. i havent played them and i dont want to ruin the expansion

If you play a lot of ironman you generally don't want to play the exact same scripted DLC story mission over and over. The integrated option just gives you the cool new stuff from the expansions without having to dick around with the story aspects.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How does unlocking the mechs work if you, err, disable it? Do you start with them unlocked?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, it's just in the Foundry for research. Bit pricey tho

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dongattack posted:

How does unlocking the mechs work if you, err, disable it? Do you start with them unlocked?

First one is free (sans time) in the Proving Ground.

I usually leave the Alien Hunters Story on because I suck and it means I don't have to deal with the rulers.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
These advance copy streams are definitely working, my desire for this expansion is nearing fevered levels.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I can't wait to ragequit over getting beaten by alien weaboos, edgelords and fanatics.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I want a mod that lets rulers and chosen spawn in the same mission. just so i can watch the Berserker Queen beat the poo poo out of one of them.

:allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If a Chosen drops in on a facility mission that has a Ruler on it, that might happen already!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

marshmallow creep posted:

If a Chosen drops in on a facility mission that has a Ruler on it, that might happen already!

Supposedly it's hard-coded that they can't appear on the same map.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
It'll probably be enabled in the next Long War mod

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder how much of that is to prevent the Berserker Queen from murdering the Chosen before you ever see it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Berserker Queen certainly helped me out on a retaliation mission once. Killed half the attacking aliens before I even got to them!

Reading some previews, you can gain the ability to extend timers on missions or even delay them? That's awesome.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I haven't played since winning my release campaign, are the ayy leaders hostile to regular ayys?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Berserker Queen can be made hostile against anyone, much like regular berserkers. The rest are pretty standard.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Speedball posted:

The Berserker Queen certainly helped me out on a retaliation mission once. Killed half the attacking aliens before I even got to them!

Reading some previews, you can gain the ability to extend timers on missions or even delay them? That's awesome.

Berserker Queen is how I got a perfect retaliation once. Apparently she does no damage to the civilians, and since she apparently gets turn priority due to being the BIG BOSS on the map the AI will move her first at enemies until she's activated. I managed to trigger her pod last and as far as I could tell she had been bouncing back and forth between two civilians, slamming the ground at their feet. She even did it a couple of times as I mopped her up, which meant the mutons in her pod focused on me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I lost a retaliation mission once because every member of a very large pod went bug gently caress murder crazy and killed a civilian each, and watching some of these wotc retaliations on YouTube makes it look like that level of carnage is to be expected. You will lose two or three people a turn.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The civilians have terrible tactical awareness. Oh, let's duck behind this gas tank. Run towards the scary faced aliens. Lemme stand right in the middle here with no cover so you can't rescue me and stay in cover.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I am going to charge into this smoking bus to shoot an alien, miss, then die when the bus explodes.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I tried to pose my soldiermans in the Propaganda Center Photobooth, but after I save a poster, it looks like it immideately deletes it from the requisite folder on my hard drive. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you solve it? I'm using the default C:/Users/Me/Documents/MyGames/XCOM2 Propaganda Center/XCOM Game/Photobooth path.

EDIT: Might be avast antivirus. can't check now.

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 23, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I lost a retaliation mission once because every member of a very large pod went bug gently caress murder crazy and killed a civilian each, and watching some of these wotc retaliations on YouTube makes it look like that level of carnage is to be expected. You will lose two or three people a turn.

I once got pinned down by a pair of Mutons while a Stun Lancer went around and killed all the civvies :rip:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Imagine a retaliation mission where the boss is a stun lancer...with Reaper.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I tried to pose my soldiermans in the Propaganda Center Photobooth, but after I save a poster, it looks like it immideately deletes it from the requisite folder on my hard drive. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you solve it? I'm using the default C:/Users/Me/Documents/MyGames/XCOM2 Propaganda Center/XCOM Game/Photobooth path.

EDIT: Might be avast antivirus. can't check now.
Hackers don't read this
|
|
|
|
V

Ok, so it was Avast pulling tricks. I couldn't find the specific issue, but I disabled it for 10 minutes and could save photos to disk.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

wuffles posted:

Um perhaps I'm forgetting something, but all I remember is that Wet Work used to apply retroactively (meaning you got the exp you would have been getting up to that point, in one big dump, for every soldier that had earned exp) as soon as you researched it.

Which makes sense to fix. It's always been really good early in the game if you could spare the supplies.

Edit: I'm thinking about trying a legend run that goes straight for psi asap, I've never tried to rush it, it's always an afterthought.

There was a period after they patched Wet Works so that it worked in some really bizarre way that I don't remember the details of. (It's probably in this thread at some much earlier point.) It was something like, the bonus didn't kick in unless the soldier was wounded on the mission or some bizarre poo poo like that. I know that's not exactly it, but it was something screwy in that vein.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I have preordered War Of The Chosen and the Mario Rabbids game. Gonna get my squad based tactics fill.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ugh, I tried to watch some of the pre-release stuff since I was getting antsy.

And I learned I absolutely cannot watch other people play Xcom. Holy poo poo ChristopherOdd is infuriating to watch.

"Yeah I desperately need supplies on this supply raid. Better get in long drawn out battles with ADVENT at range in cover instead of even trying to move up to the boxes or flank with my concealed Reaper or Ranger. Oh no, how did I not manage to get any of the supplies"

:bang::bang::bang:

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Zore posted:

And I learned I absolutely cannot watch other people play Xcom. Holy poo poo ChristopherOdd is infuriating to watch.

"Yeah I desperately need supplies on this supply raid. Better get in long drawn out battles with ADVENT at range in cover instead of even trying to move up to the boxes or flank with my concealed Reaper or Ranger. Oh no, how did I not manage to get any of the supplies"

Most streamers are infuriating but I've actually found Richard_Hammer to be enjoyable because he just plays the game, gets pissed at :xcom: moments, and doesn't have many annoying gimmicks.

That being said, I still find myself yelling at them when they miss something obvious.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The ones I've been watching, I just skip watching the missions, and watch the Avenger what it's

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Zore posted:

His geoscape is whats tilting me, especially the two months of floating the resistance contact order he's not using. At least on missions he's checking his remote starts now.

Still, it's nice to see things going okay for him even with those huge inefficiencies, because it really makes me think WotC L/I will be easier than base if you just pay attention to all the new subsystems. So I'll probably just start on L/I.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I just can't watch streamers because they remind me I'm not playing the game myself yet.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone else feel like the game is going to get a bit too busy with both Chosen and boss aliens running around? Every single mission is going to have some rear end in a top hat that gets a turn every time one of your guys takes an action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Shumagorath posted:

Does anyone else feel like the game is going to get a bit too busy with both Chosen and boss aliens running around? Every single mission is going to have some rear end in a top hat that gets a turn every time one of your guys takes an action.

The Chosen don't get that mechanic though, right?