Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So with Wild Hunt exactly how much more often do the Chosen appear? I have to choose between it, them capturing soldiers, and +2 to the doom timer which I can't really afford.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

So with Wild Hunt exactly how much more often do the Chosen appear? I have to choose between it, them capturing soldiers, and +2 to the doom timer which I can't really afford.

I had Wild Hunt active for an entire Grim Horizon campaign and I honestly couldn't tell a difference between it and a normal run. I don't think its a big deal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

I had Wild Hunt active for an entire Grim Horizon campaign and I honestly couldn't tell a difference between it and a normal run. I don't think its a big deal.

Thanks, I'll go counter the +2 and see what happens then. To be honest I have 3 mind shields and 2 SPARKs now so it's not like the Warlock's an issue any longer, I just don't like the Hunter sauntering up behind me for a crit kill. :v:

e: In one turn I activated five pods in the tunnels because they were all one space away from each other, jesus christ

e: There's three more pods in here how am I supposed to protect this piece of poo poo device

e: Lol I only won because the vipers wasted their acid on the SPARKs, the Specters vanished and did nothing all mission, and the last shot against the on-fire device missed. Meanwhile it took XCOM two turns of missing 90+ shots against an Archon to kill it. I think everyone in ADVENT and the resistance are just going to pretend this one didn't happen

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 20, 2017

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
They did some optimization, too. For me it takes longer to load a game up from a save, but once I'm in game, everything runs better.

Edit: I take that back, things were running great until my computer overheated on a mission and shut down for safety. I just cleaned it the other day, so they didn't optimize it enough to take the strain off of the processor.
I can't believe I'm going to have to look into buying another case fan just for this game. Idle is about 44 degrees Celsius. Normal working is about 47 C.

Running this game pushes it up to 93 C, or 200 F.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 20, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is that Fortress, Sustain, Bladestorm, AND Reaper all on one Templar?

You son of a bitch.

I'm still learning how WotC works and I fear I may have a misguided view of how good Templars are because this dude is loving incredible. The only other guy I've got who even comes close is Pitbull, a Reaper armed with the Assassin's equipment. His ability to go Rules of Nature through anything's armor and shielding is pretty :stonklol:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm several months into my first WotC game. So far I've only really engaged the Assassin. I'm sure she's dangerous in other circumstances, but in my game she's vulnerable to reapers and to explosives. She died the first round in the tutorial mission, and Counselor Troi one hit killed her by blowing up the car she appeared next to for her second appearance. She was never really much of a threat but holy poo poo those weapons are so amazing. I've faced the other two once and twice respectively, but they were during very tight missions and I didn't have time to deal with them so I just noped out with whatever i needed from the mission.

Is the Templar considered the OP class? I've only been able to take him on a few missions, because he always comes home gravely wounded. The melee is cool but that zot power seems pretty underwhelming. I had two guys right next to each other and it still didn't jump to the next guy. Maybe if I finally get to level him up he'll get more things to do with his focus.

The reaper is OP as poo poo though, man, Dianna comes along on every important mission. A stealth scout that can also help the fight from stealth with only one tile detection range? Yes please.

Is it possible to get additional units from the factions without mods?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is the Templar considered the OP class? I've only been able to take him on a few missions, because he always comes home gravely wounded. The melee is cool but that zot power seems pretty underwhelming. I had two guys right next to each other and it still didn't jump to the next guy. Maybe if I finally get to level him up he'll get more things to do with his focus.

Volt pretty much sucks, the strength of templars is guaranteed hits and parry, which gives you a free pass on a failed alpha-strike. Once you get arc wave they can be pretty good damage dealers too, although they'll never match grenadiers and rangers in that department.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm still learning how WotC works and I fear I may have a misguided view of how good Templars are because this dude is loving incredible. The only other guy I've got who even comes close is Pitbull, a Reaper armed with the Assassin's equipment. His ability to go Rules of Nature through anything's armor and shielding is pretty :stonklol:

Templars are really really good if they roll any one of the four bonus perks that yours has. Your Templar might as well be a loving Jedi Master.

Please understand that my hatred for your luck burns brighter than the sun.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Taffer posted:

Volt pretty much sucks, the strength of templars is guaranteed hits and parry, which gives you a free pass on a failed alpha-strike. Once you get arc wave they can be pretty good damage dealers too, although they'll never match grenadiers and rangers in that department.

Don't underestimate the ability to 100% success rate swap an enemy out of full cover into the middle of your pack. That one ability is responsible for a large number of dead Chosen. Situational, but nobody else can do anything like it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

At some point I want to build a "caster" Templar that uses all those neat focus powers that aren't killing things harder with magic swords. But it's so satisfying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Volt isn't bad, its just way more situational than rend. The problem with Templars is they have a lot of abilities that are situationally powerful but their basic combo of rend into parry breaks almost every enemy in the game. Why bother with all that when 99% of the time the optimal move is to run into an enemies face, slash them, and then parry so they waste their turn targeting you for an ineffective attack?

When I stopped taking parry on Templars I found myself using their other abilities a lot more. Volt is perfectly accurate and ignores armor, so its quite good at finishing enemies off. It also can holotarget enemies and deals double damage to psi units. Its a pretty useful ability, its just not as good as running into an enemies face and slashing them with impunity. But barely anything is ever going to be that good!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Why is a bug fix patch 26 gigs? I am going to have to delete every other game in my library if I want to play it again.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, when one of the earliest skills is a perfectly accurate attack followed by an optional move or Untouchable proc (essentially), it's kinda hard to see the value of all the other abilities.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Why is a bug fix patch 26 gigs? I am going to have to delete every other game in my library if I want to play it again.

Mine was 7.7 gb, something's wrong.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Speaking of Templars, I shared this story to friends a week or so ago but there was a retaliation mission fairly late in the game that was going on and I had 15~ enemies to fight. I activated 10 of them but our ground was good, sniper had a two-story tower, had a good roster, and I had a Templar. The turn starts off with me blowing up a bunch, getting rid of cover, Sniper goes Serial and takes out what they see then Kill Zoned the rest of the map with the Free Reload + Extra Clip Size upgrades. The Templar was positioned near an enemy after a Rend kill and the enemy near them dropped a Psionic Loot for +1 Focus, maxing her out. Now before my turn started, an enemy pod just a ways up killed a civilian that was mooching with a Berserker, so my Reaper moves up and gets sight, and of course, Kill Zone is on this pod. After smashing most of the initial skirmish, and with line of sight on that now dead civvie...my Templar has LoS to use Ghost on the dead civ.

My Templar had Bladestorm and Ionic Storm. As soon as the Ghost was summoned, the pod activated, and Kill Zone and Bladestorm trigger. Then I'm able to rush the Ghost down and use Ionic Storm to eradicate the last three enemies. While the Ghost vanishes gracefully I've just cleared the map now sans Faceless, which haven't appeared. Rather, the Chosen Hunter decides to crash the party.

It just gets better. On his turn, he grapples up on to a bus and shoots at the Templar, who hasn't had to do anything besides one Rend kill, and shoots at her. She reflects it. The Hunter's Adversary is Templars :shepface:

He then summons his posse and they get kill zoned and he's sitting on top of the bus in the open.

And now, my squad has moved up to where the Templar is. By the way, my Templar has the Invert skill, which exchanges her place with an enemy unit. I use it on him and suddenly the Hunter is teleported off his high ground and surrounded by the entire squad and nobody's coming for him. The level of hosed this guy was is beyond belief.

Practically all of my sickest moments in WotC are thanks to Templars, they are just amazing units, and I love all their voice work.

There was another story when WotC came out and Skirmishers came into play, again on a Retaliation mission. The Warlock had shown up and he was the last guy and I rushed the Templar up to smack him in the face because Adversary and all, also having Bladestorm. This is the retal with friendly resistance fighters too. So she runs up to his tree, smacks him, and gets mind controlled, but blade storms for more damage. That was the Warlock's turn, he might have summoned his boom zombie. The Resistance fighters all shoot at my MC'd Templar and she parries every single shot. By this point, the Warlock is on death's door after the previous turn, so the Skirmisher, who is like 50+ tiles away, moves up, grapples on top of a bus, then uses the Wrath skill to grapple up to the Warlock and then smacks him upside the head, causing him to ragdoll and flip over a wooden fence, ending the mission.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It also hurts that to use those situational abilities you have to kill things with the other attack.

I think you could probably make a decent overhaul where you gated Templar abilities by focus and cooldowns but didn't have them cost focus to use. That could incentivize using them more, especially if parry got like a 2 turn cooldown between uses.

EDIT: Alternatively, have Focus debuff Rend damage. So you are incentivized to spend it and alternate between Rend/other moves.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 20, 2017

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Zore posted:

It also hurts that to use those situational abilities you have to kill things with the other attack.

I've started taking the ability that gives a chance for enemies to drop focus on death, it's pretty solid.

To me the biggest downside of Templars is the annoying animation that plays every single time they pick up Focus. Is there a mod out to remove those? Bonus points if it also removes those dumb "it's a sarcophagus! You have to shoot the sarcophagus!" lines on every Chosen lair.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Latest Community Highlander is out for anyone who was blocked on playing cause they wanted to use mods depending on it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

u brexit ukip it posted:

Why doesn't it have a sane system where it first downloads the patch and then installs it though? Instead of slipping the bytes in one by one as it's seemingly doing now. I'm bothering Steam support about it because I'm turning into a crotchety old man and if they waste my time I get to waste theirs.

I was gonna make fun of your bitching but

actually I agree. Steam is kind of a pos in many ways

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

aegof posted:

Mine was 7.7 gb, something's wrong.

Mine says so too, but I have 13 GB free and just get a "insufficient disk space" message on the download screen. I guess it might need double the space of the patch free for some reason? I have to hunt down something to delete. Gonna need a bigger SSD next time I upgrade too.

*Edit*

Game with expansion takes 68,3 GB at the moment. You're getting a little greedy here, Jake.

*Edit2*

Deleted the first XCOM game since it was hard to enjoy that anyway last I tried, which put me at 28GB free. With the preallocation of space it went down to 5GB free, so you need over 3 times the patch size in free space just to install it? Ok.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 20, 2017

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

Did they add to the mission name generator? Or was Bradford feeling particularly uninspired today?

IIRC there's something like a 1/500 chance of rolling Chicken for a mission name.

So basically, whatever good luck you had with the RNG got used up by naming the operation.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So like are all the mods hosed now and need updated or how does it work? I was playing around with the character pool post-patch and it seemed to be fine, but I'm sure that's not exactly the same.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
My game was just fine post patch but I mostly just use fixes, QoL and the resistance firearms

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dyzzy posted:

My game was just fine post patch but I mostly just use fixes, QoL and the resistance firearms

All I needed to do was turn the Brutal Fix mod off, but I had to load the game, quit, then reload for it to recognize all the other mods were still turned on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Light Gun Man posted:

So like are all the mods hosed now and need updated or how does it work? I was playing around with the character pool post-patch and it seemed to be fine, but I'm sure that's not exactly the same.

Most mods should be fine, especially since the Highlander was updated. That was the only thing bricking me and I have 100+ mods

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Chosen can no longer turn into cocoons from Chryssalid poison

Please tell me someone has video footage of this. This owns extremely hard and I'm mad I never knew about it

I did this. The cocoon never hatches and if you destroy it it turns into the council guy standing in a T shape. The game doesn't acknowledge this as an enemy yet the sarcophagus remains invulnerable. I had to use a console command to destroy it.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Awww. Killing the Chosen with chryssalid poison sounds hilarious. That's a shame.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So is there a mod or something which makes the Infirmary shorten the rest periods for Tired/Shaken or something? It's kinda ridiculous right now. Going out on a mission while being kinda crampy - two week's stay in the psych ward. Making your dudes jump on a grenade the last turn of a mission to avoid it - two days' stay in the infirmary and then they're good to go.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I was just loving around testing some poo poo and... yeah.

https://giant.gfycat.com/AbsoluteMeaslyAffenpinscher.mp4

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, when one of the earliest skills is a perfectly accurate attack followed by an optional move or Untouchable proc (essentially), it's kinda hard to see the value of all the other abilities.

Some of the Templar abilities (i.e. Amplify) aren't turn-ending, so you can reliably use them on a Templar with good Mobility. That's about it for me though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cheston posted:

Some of the Templar abilities (i.e. Amplify) aren't turn-ending, so you can reliably use them on a Templar with good Mobility. That's about it for me though.

I'd have taken those ones way sooner if I knew that; Volt sort of sucks and Stun Strike so far has hit Mutons and knocked them on their butt to no effect.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
A disguised Faceless scattered from an Advent soldier and triggered an Advanced Mec's overwatch -- hilarity ensued. After the Faceless got lit up by the Mec, it transformed into it's gross normal self and had 1 hp left. Beth chopped it up and claimed to rule the Universe or something.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

Most mods should be fine, especially since the Highlander was updated. That was the only thing bricking me and I have 100+ mods

Ok good to hear, thanks!

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Hey guess what?

I finally bought the expansion and updated PUNCHBOTS

Tomorrow I think I'll actually play the expansion.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Emong posted:

Hey guess what?

I finally bought the expansion and updated PUNCHBOTS

Tomorrow I think I'll actually play the expansion.

Hell yeah.

Suggestion: Rocket Punches

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Haha, on an extract supply raid mission an ADVENT mec intentionally made a lovely rocket barrage against a SPARK for 1 damage, just so it could blow up the crate I marked before the Skyranger could grab it. What a dick!

e: Oh wow that 1 point of health will take 12 days to repair. Did he blow an eye off or something

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 21, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Tying squad size 1 and 2 to rank is bad. It discourages having many soldiers of various rank and (at least for squad size 1), makes you focus on a small group of troops to advance. It could be better if tied to total kills like 50 for size 1 and 100 for size 2. Thrown a free upgrade for size 1 if you do the codex mission and size 2 for avatar/psi gate mission.

Please let me know if/when a mod lets me organize my barracks into squads instead of list. Please motherfuckers.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
LW2 has Squads, and Officers who increase the Will (I think another stat) of soldiers that do missions with them over time, with more missions giving bigger bonuses. LW2 has missions running simultaneously though. Also, these last two XCOMs aren't like the old Rookie grinder ones - you should only really lose like 2-3 soldiers over a whole campaign. Tying it to rank isn't terrible.

I dislike that the ranks go from NCO -> Officer in vanilla (LW2 adjusts that, too...)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

temple posted:

Tying squad size 1 and 2 to rank is bad. It discourages having many soldiers of various rank and (at least for squad size 1), makes you focus on a small group of troops to advance. It could be better if tied to total kills like 50 for size 1 and 100 for size 2. Thrown a free upgrade for size 1 if you do the codex mission and size 2 for avatar/psi gate mission.

Please let me know if/when a mod lets me organize my barracks into squads instead of list. Please motherfuckers.

I have a very small barracks right now on legendary and the only reason it's not an issue is I have two sparks, one just got repair, and I can make a third.

e: How much does Repair heal? It doesn't say.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

RBA Starblade posted:

I have a very small barracks right now on legendary and the only reason it's not an issue is I have two sparks, one just got repair, and I can make a third.

e: How much does Repair heal? It doesn't say.