Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
So the current way it works like is this:

MOCX gets about 12 people when they first start up around mid April. They can get 6 reinforcements every three weeks until they hit a cap of 24 total. Reinforcements initially start at squaddie, but slowly raise in their starting level as time passes in the game.

For every three weeks a MOCX soldier survives, they can get a promotion. Surviving a mission on XCOM grants them a bonus perk, while being reduced to bleedout on a mission where XCOM has to leave for whatever reason will grant them a bonus perk and a free promotion.

They will start evacuating if they've been injured to 40% of their HP (I'll probably end up exposing this to an .ini file and bumping the default up a bit), or if half of their squad has been killed or also evacuated. (I should also probably expand this so it can count soldiers who are starting to evac but haven't left yet.)

Then you have the various dark events, including the one that MOCX HQ itself can work on in secret at the meantime.

General design intent was to introduce a unique pod that could have a variety of enemies that had variable perks on different encounters, with the small possibility of having a more Nemesis-esque enemy (or even enemies) appearing depending on a player's performance. Though I have considered having MOCX soldiers have a small chance of having their body be automatically evacuated so I can have a 50/50 chance of them coming back very pissed off. Probably have a cybernetic limb from Muashi's mod appear on them...

Exposure fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I get it, it’s just a little incongruous that I’d have a transmitter destruction mission, put three guys on bleedout with a Reaper claymore and then when the last enemy on the map’s been cleared, we apparently stabilized them offscreen and sent them back to MOCX in better shape than if we’d never touched them at all

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

I get it, it’s just a little incongruous that I’d have a transmitter destruction mission, put three guys on bleedout with a Reaper claymore and then when the last enemy on the map’s been cleared, we apparently stabilized them offscreen and sent them back to MOCX in better shape than if we’d never touched them at all

Hm? The mission should have waited for them to bleed out if it was a normal kill them all mission, they should still count as "active" enemies (since bleeding out gives a unit 1 HP while the effect is in play).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In my case my mission ended and it had showed me as killing all but 3 enemies, which I assume covered the three bleeding guys. It could be a weird mod interaction (don’t waste my time, maybe?)

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
In War of the Chosen, how do you hire new rookies? In the base game I thought it was at the HQ, but that's been replaced by the faction HQs which don't seem to have that option. I'm not playing with mods.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

In War of the Chosen, how do you hire new rookies? In the base game I thought it was at the HQ, but that's been replaced by the faction HQs which don't seem to have that option. I'm not playing with mods.

It was never at HQ, that was just where you could buy a single promoted soldier 1/supply drop. Go to your Barracks menu and there should be a button to recruit new soldiers in the Skyranger.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

Zore posted:

It was never at HQ, that was just where you could buy a single promoted soldier 1/supply drop. Go to your Barracks menu and there should be a button to recruit new soldiers in the Skyranger.

Got it, thanks

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's really kinda silly that it costs 25 to recruit a basic scrub though. It makes keeping the meatgrinder fed really difficult.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The game’s pretty good about recognizing when you’re low on something and throwing a rumor at the shortage. But rookies I think only come along early game or when you’ve had a string of KIAs

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Exposure posted:

So the current way it works like is this:

MOCX gets about 12 people when they first start up around mid April. They can get 6 reinforcements every three weeks until they hit a cap of 24 total. Reinforcements initially start at squaddie, but slowly raise in their starting level as time passes in the game.

For every three weeks a MOCX soldier survives, they can get a promotion. Surviving a mission on XCOM grants them a bonus perk, while being reduced to bleedout on a mission where XCOM has to leave for whatever reason will grant them a bonus perk and a free promotion.

They will start evacuating if they've been injured to 40% of their HP (I'll probably end up exposing this to an .ini file and bumping the default up a bit), or if half of their squad has been killed or also evacuated. (I should also probably expand this so it can count soldiers who are starting to evac but haven't left yet.)

Then you have the various dark events, including the one that MOCX HQ itself can work on in secret at the meantime.

General design intent was to introduce a unique pod that could have a variety of enemies that had variable perks on different encounters, with the small possibility of having a more Nemesis-esque enemy (or even enemies) appearing depending on a player's performance. Though I have considered having MOCX soldiers have a small chance of having their body be automatically evacuated so I can have a 50/50 chance of them coming back very pissed off. Probably have a cybernetic limb from Muashi's mod appear on them...

I like the robot limbs from Asymetrical Arms better, mostly because they're the MEC limbs from EU/EW. Those things are rad as heck.

We are graced with a bounty of robo-limbs between them, Muashi's stuff and the Adam Jensen ports.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Are there any mods that increase the chance for soldiers to be gravely wounded instead of killed outright? Makes for more interesting dramatic situations if you are rushing to save someone and end up dragging back critical wounded.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

FuzzySlippers posted:

Are there any mods that increase the chance for soldiers to be gravely wounded instead of killed outright? Makes for more interesting dramatic situations if you are rushing to save someone and end up dragging back critical wounded.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=622702432&searchtext=bleed+out

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Always bleed out feels a bit much but it was easy to modify the mod's values and set them to 1/2 the default roll instead of making it always happen. I'll see how that goes.

edit: this has has worked out great. Playing through WOTC first time and I love all the changes it made to encourage having a large group of soldiers instead of one main squad. My tweak to bleed out has also meant I end up with even more soldiers since I tend to have a lot of gravely wounded out of action for ages. I've had a couple insta deaths but mostly I've lost people trying to evac them which feels a lot more dramatic. If you evac wounded but the mission goes on longer than their bleed counter they still die?

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 14, 2018

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

FuzzySlippers posted:

Always bleed out feels a bit much but it was easy to modify the mod's values and set them to 1/2 the default roll instead of making it always happen. I'll see how that goes.

edit: this has has worked out great. Playing through WOTC first time and I love all the changes it made to encourage having a large group of soldiers instead of one main squad. My tweak to bleed out has also meant I end up with even more soldiers since I tend to have a lot of gravely wounded out of action for ages. I've had a couple insta deaths but mostly I've lost people trying to evac them which feels a lot more dramatic. If you evac wounded but the mission goes on longer than their bleed counter they still die?

No, once they evac they're cleared of any negative effects they may have. (It's why there's an achievement for evacuating a bleeding out unit)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Exposure posted:

No, once they evac they're cleared of any negative effects they may have. (It's why there's an achievement for evacuating a bleeding out unit)

I hit a bug then where I evac'd the bleeding dude and after 2 turns got a notice he died. I loaded an auto save and once again he died when his timer went out even though he wasn't in the level. In the fallen soldier log it said they killed themselves with friendly fire (Name died to friendly fire from Name). I'm not running many mods and I wouldn't think increasing the bleed out chance should cause it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My heavily modded campaign is crashing upon loading the final mission, lame.

Hopefully now that I've bitched about it online, if will work later when I try again.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Light Gun Man posted:

My heavily modded campaign is crashing upon loading the final mission, lame.

Hopefully now that I've bitched about it online, if will work later when I try again.

:ohdear: good luck

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Waterworld sucks anyway

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
My goodness some Legendary missions some stuff just goes so horribly wrong and AI bugs out that there's almost no way of winning the mission. Had one retaliation mission where three chryssalids decide in one turn to kill one civilian each and the following turn ran out to kill some more. I'm assuming the sudden civilian blitz was due to the fact no one was killing civilians for 4-5 turns. Next had to run through multiple andromedons and a sectoid with only plasma rifles and literally didn't have enough damage to reach the objective in time.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Thank you, but it did not work. Thats OK, I've already beat the game like three or
four times anyway. And I'm sure I'll play it again in a few months.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Biggest Jerk posted:

My goodness some Legendary missions some stuff just goes so horribly wrong and AI bugs out that there's almost no way of winning the mission. Had one retaliation mission where three chryssalids decide in one turn to kill one civilian each and the following turn ran out to kill some more. I'm assuming the sudden civilian blitz was due to the fact no one was killing civilians for 4-5 turns. Next had to run through multiple andromedons and a sectoid with only plasma rifles and literally didn't have enough damage to reach the objective in time.

Sounds like chryssalids working as intended! I'm always sad when they waste their turns swiping at xcom operatives instead of doing their job

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I feel like Chryssalids will always be the unit that always makes me panic.

Andromedons, Sectopods, Gatekeepers? I got this!

Creepy space bug? gently caress that poo poo!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like Chryssalids will always be the unit that always makes me panic.

Andromedons, Sectopods, Gatekeepers? I got this!

Creepy space bug? gently caress that poo poo!

I play fast and loose often and chrysaalids will really punish you way more then anything else.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I've been playing a lot of XCOM Enemy Within recently, trying to get my first win on regular difficulty before. How far along am I supposed to be when I hit my first Exalt mission? Enemies keep spawning and I just get stomped. I have a few guys with upgraded armor and laser weapons and a MEC-1 unit.

Also when it comes to satellite placements, I've been starting with South America just because it's the easiest region to get a full set in. Am I doing it wrong?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kikkoman posted:

I've been playing a lot of XCOM Enemy Within recently, trying to get my first win on regular difficulty before. How far along am I supposed to be when I hit my first Exalt mission? Enemies keep spawning and I just get stomped. I have a few guys with upgraded armor and laser weapons and a MEC-1 unit.

Also when it comes to satellite placements, I've been starting with South America just because it's the easiest region to get a full set in. Am I doing it wrong?

that sounds about right for exalt. Biggest thing with them is to look out and prioritize their rocketeers.

South America is fine although it's not the strongest continent bonus

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Foo posted:

that sounds about right for exalt. Biggest thing with them is to look out and prioritize their rocketeers.

My satellite strategy is to keep a couple in storage and launch them when I have a region about to go into panic and back out of the XCOM project.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

Really? For the early game it is one of the strongest.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hunt11 posted:

Really? For the early game it is one of the strongest.

That's what I remember from the analyses done a while back

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

That's what I remember from the analyses done a while back

Being able to instantly do autopsies and interrogations is quite the boost to your research and being able to completely remove a continent from play in terms of panic ratings with just two satellites makes it a lot easier to focus on the other countries.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hunt11 posted:

Being able to instantly do autopsies and interrogations is quite the boost to your research and being able to completely remove a continent from play in terms of panic ratings with just two satellites makes it a lot easier to focus on the other countries.

I think it's not considered the strongest start since it's only two satellites to cover so getting one of the others and then also picking up South America is a stronger play overall, but more difficult to pull off

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

I think it's not considered the strongest start since it's only two satellites to cover so getting one of the others and then also picking up South America is a stronger play overall, but more difficult to pull off

Looks like we are both making the same points, but you are in the end are right as you correctly read how Kikkomen was choosing to start their campaigns.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

My satellite strategy is to keep a couple in storage and launch them when I have a region about to go into panic and back out of the XCOM project.

I'll keep that in mind for my next run and try to keep a balance between getting easy regional bonuses and tempering panic.

As for the EXALT mission, if it's not rockets killing my guys it's grenades. Do I have to do something for them to stop spawning or is it just playing defense until the wave stops?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
To my memory, you just gotta wait it out. Alpha strike the grenadiers and rocketeers, and make sure your special agent is using her signal disruptions to get the upper hand.

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions
So I decided to play xcom 2 vanilla, since I had purchased it a year ago and never loaded it up. I figured, hell, this game has been out for 2 years, and I have really poor willpower. Let me play it on Ironman first time through.

I start playing and my squad gets decimated over the first few months. Unfortunately, I never knew that you could pay supplies for rookies in the armory, so my squad got whittled down pretty fast. I did a UFO defense mission, and was left with three units. I wanted to see the "bad" ending so I figured I'd keep playing through and did a bunch of missions with those three and mostly ended up evacuating without completing the objectives. I finally learn that I CAN recruit new people without waiting for a scanning event, and start turning things around. I build a pretty good team and get all the way to the final mission. Super proud of myself for sticking with ironman and getting to far.

Then in the final mission, my main Psi Op, who is the most important part of my square, gets grabbed by a viper in part one of the mission, and then then mission ends. When part two starts, he is no longer able to do anything. Can't move, can't overwatch, can't do any actions. I can't even kill him so the entire final mission I have to tab through him every single turn, multiple times. And by the end of that mission I'm tabbing across 10-12 screens, while he sits there, doing nothing at all.

I can't beat the final fight without him, and I have no way to actually use him, and since it's ironman, I can't go back to a previous save.

Moral of the story: Don't play ironman on your first time through, some bugs will never get patched.
(Instead of starting again, I started a War of the Chosen campaign, so hopefully this goes better)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Never play Iron Man, never play Long War. Two good rules for XCOM.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Always play iron man, it's how the game's designed, just backup the save every now and then (ie after a binge session). Re: restarting the final mission, do you have any way of killing the psi guy? Ie enough AoE that he's not immune to? (or, tediously, kiting an enemy back to him...) If you squad wipe in ironman on a must-win mission, it just restarts the mission for you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

never play iron man the game is too glitchy and backing up saves by hand is a pain

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Bronze Man mod is just fine. Auto-saves before you start a mission but you can't save during.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Iron man only crew. If you get screwed by a glitch then you just weren't strong enough and the universe knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dylan McKay posted:

Iron man only crew. If you get screwed by a glitch then you just weren't strong enough and the universe knew.

It's true.