Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I reinstalled long war for EW and plan to start a new game with no changes to the ini at the moment. Is there any common recommendations for tweaking the ini? I've gotten better at New XCOM since the last time I played ew, but I remember being especially annoyed by thin men.

I will be removing lightning reflexes from chrysalis though, gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just snagged this for PS4. Just want to confirm, class is decided when you promote rookies right? There is no reason for me to try and sit on a few promotions and then design builds that way?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

^burtle posted:

Just snagged this for PS4. Just want to confirm, class is decided when you promote rookies right? There is no reason for me to try and sit on a few promotions and then design builds that way?

Yes, the class of a rookie is determined when he levels up to squaddie. This can happen either when the rookie earns enough experience and levels up to a random class, or after a five day training course in the Guerrilla Tactics School where they turn into the class you trained them for.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Drakhoran posted:

Yes, the class of a rookie is determined when he levels up to squaddie. This can happen either when the rookie earns enough experience and levels up to a random class, or after a five day training course in the Guerrilla Tactics School where they turn into the class you trained them for.

Makes sense, appreciate it!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
lmao, I dismantled a workshop with an engineer staffing it and the engineer died.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Huh?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

I had an engineer staffing a workshop, then I decomissioned the workshop without first de-staffing it, and then I had one fewer engineer.

This is also the first campaign I’ve played where I’m absolutely starving for alien alloys. What gives? This has never been an issue for me, so I’ve never paid attention to where they actually come from before. Even the black market isn’t carrying any.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've been thinking about how Reapers, although really cool and great for ambushes, seem a little lacklustre in the lategame and on higher difficulties, and I think it has to do with the fact that they're stealthy scouts in a game that has Battle Scanners. As soon as you get those things, there's much less value in scouting ahead with a Reaper, and while their stealth abilities can still be quite useful, they're situational compared to "shoot more bullets" and "armour-ignoring psionic melee attack that never misses and lets you return to cover after doing it."

As I see it, there are three ways that Reapers could be made a bit more competitive while retaining and building on their unique design space:

• enhance their effectiveness as scouts, perhaps by giving them an improved sight radius, the ability to spot Faceless and the Assassin from afar, or similar;
  • give them more versatility by granting them another equipment slot, and let them do more cool poo poo with the Claymore mechanic by allowing them to either throw carried grenades or plant them like Claymores; or
  • go all-in on the stealth and ambush theme by letting them take Overwatch shots from stealth without revealing themselves, so that they can aggressively flank and fight from the shadows after the rest of the squad is revealed.

I really love their sneaky hit-and-run Snidely Whiplash playstyle and I wish it was less situational.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Lategame Reaper is all about Banish + huge magazines on their gun + the other perk that lets them keep firing.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Huh. Different playstyles, I guess. For me reapers are by far the most powerful of the three hero factions. They mean you essentially never, ever have to take a bad engagement in a game where bad engagements are by far and away the biggest threat to you, and once you unlock some of their more advanced abilities they can fight in a very meaningful manner while STILL providing perfect advance scouting and battlefield intelligence.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

See the thing about that is that Scanners are ludicrously good at that same thing, and they take up an equipment slot instead of a soldier slot.

Banish is indeed approaching busted-as-hell with how good it is, though. I just find that once the squad is revealed, a Reaper's role tends to degenerate more to a small bag of one-and-done tricks. Maybe I need to try playing a little more aggressively with them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Light Gun Man posted:

Lategame Reaper is all about Banish + huge magazines on their gun + the other perk that lets them keep firing.

They can do that 1/mission.

All of their tricks are really limited like that. You only ever get 1 claymore, Sting has a single charge, you only get the 1 re-shadow etc.

Just about the only consistent ability they have is the one that lets them do clean up from concealment.

Playing with A Better Advent and larger enemy squads in general really starts showing their weaknesses since once they run out of their big 1/off tricks they're basically deadweight for the rest of the mission. And when you have multiple 5+ enemy pods full of units that you can't one-shot with the Claymore it starts feeling pretty dicey to field them since their normal damage is so anemic.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Angry Diplomat posted:

See the thing about that is that Scanners are ludicrously good at that same thing, and they take up an equipment slot instead of a soldier slot.

Banish is indeed approaching busted-as-hell with how good it is, though. I just find that once the squad is revealed, a Reaper's role tends to degenerate more to a small bag of one-and-done tricks. Maybe I need to try playing a little more aggressively with them.

You are limited to battle scanners though, vs reapers who (if you have the time) you can use to completely control pods.

I don't think they are over-powered (as I think all the WOTC classes are purposefully situational) but it is not at all uncommon for my reapers to be MVPs on missions where they've been able to control the battle flow.

For many missions, I'm happy to trade a soldier slot in order to control when and how pods will be engaged. For other missions that is a bad trade, but that is true of all classes (except ranger).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Claymores allow you to delete / soften pods without breaking concealment and on those occasions when you luck into a good detonation... it's nice

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I agree that Reapers are the strongest faction unit. Skirmishers are pretty consistent but not OP, Templars are insane early/mid but fall off lategame pretty hard. Reapers mean you don't have to carry battle scanners, they can eliminate entire pods with claymore/grenade combos, and they can consistently get great flank shots with their huge mobility and the sting skill, plus the one that makes their first shot have 0% reveal chance. That's not even mentioning their ability to just outright remove Sectopods with banish if you give them blue-screens.

I don't think I even built a battle scanner on my last legendary game.

They've completely replaced phantom rangers, who were already pretty strong scouting units in the base game.

In other news, bugs in this game continue to be completely infuriating. Just had a soldier go down and was unable to pick them up (I knew it was the correct square because I couldn't move there). At least I was able to get a stabilize so they were merely captured.

I have been experimenting with larger squad and enemy pod sizes, plus a bunch of custom classes. It's pretty fun but lost missions are complete clusterfucks- I kind of like it even if it's super punishing. I need to find whatever mod adds lost boomers and remove them though, I hate those things.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be all for more stealth damage / kill stuff. Musashi's mods add some kind of option for this but I still don't seem to fully understand the mechanic. Even if it lets you knife kill an advent dude I don't see how you're gonna do that without his podmates seeing you so...?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blisster posted:

I agree that Reapers are the strongest faction unit. Skirmishers are pretty consistent but not OP, Templars are insane early/mid but fall off lategame pretty hard. Reapers mean you don't have to carry battle scanners, they can eliminate entire pods with claymore/grenade combos, and they can consistently get great flank shots with their huge mobility and the sting skill, plus the one that makes their first shot have 0% reveal chance. That's not even mentioning their ability to just outright remove Sectopods with banish if you give them blue-screens.

I don't think I even built a battle scanner on my last legendary game.

They've completely replaced phantom rangers, who were already pretty strong scouting units in the base game.

In other news, bugs in this game continue to be completely infuriating. Just had a soldier go down and was unable to pick them up (I knew it was the correct square because I couldn't move there). At least I was able to get a stabilize so they were merely captured.

I have been experimenting with larger squad and enemy pod sizes, plus a bunch of custom classes. It's pretty fun but lost missions are complete clusterfucks- I kind of like it even if it's super punishing. I need to find whatever mod adds lost boomers and remove them though, I hate those things.

Boomers are from A Better Advent. Easily the worst enemy type it adds now that he's nerfed the 'Prime' enemies.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Light Gun Man posted:

I'd be all for more stealth damage / kill stuff. Musashi's mods add some kind of option for this but I still don't seem to fully understand the mechanic. Even if it lets you knife kill an advent dude I don't see how you're gonna do that without his podmates seeing you so...?

That sounds useful to use melee kills to mop up an enemy who is the last remaining/seperated from his pod using someone who hasn't lost concealment from the rest of the squad. Basically retains your concealment of 1 guy while still delivering some damage.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I like using templars, I love space magic and the melee is a plus

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

AppleDan posted:

I like using templars, I love space magic and the melee is a plus

It's especially fun when you get Parry, Bladestorm, and Reaper on the same Templar in the early game and they just absolutely trample everything in their path with their numerous :black101:focused strikes of power!:black101:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's especially fun when you get Parry, Bladestorm, and Reaper on the same Templar in the early game and they just absolutely trample everything in their path with their numerous :black101:focused strikes of power!:black101:

They must not fail!

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Angry Diplomat posted:

WAAAGGHH

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Zore posted:

Playing with A Better Advent and larger enemy squads in general really starts showing their weaknesses since once they run out of their big 1/off tricks they're basically deadweight for the rest of the mission. And when you have multiple 5+ enemy pods full of units that you can't one-shot with the Claymore it starts feeling pretty dicey to field them since their normal damage is so anemic.

Reapers have the biggest crit damage bonus. Get more crits.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

VHGS posted:

Reapers have the biggest crit damage bonus. Get more crits.

I did not know this! Time to start giving laser sights to my Reapers (expanded magazines come later, for Banish).

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Im playing with the LW2 Class Pack and Expanded Mags + Area Supression sure is fun

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Reapers can take potshots at enemies while still in shadow, can blow up an entire weaker pod with a claymore AND get back into shadow (and they get two claymores), single-handedly take out a Gatekeeper with Banish and a good ammo mod, and maybe get a lucky environmental explosive. Also they can track Chosen or other enemies when they move out of your LOS. Reapers are insane.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Reapers can basically stay in stealth an entire fight. It's hard to overstate how useful that alone is.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Have any interesting mods come out in the last few months?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I've been having a hell of a time with this Commander Ironman run. All of my Rangers get killed immediately when I send them out. It doesn't matter how I equip them, how carefully I play, or what kind of mission I send them on. The first mission they embark on, there will be an Officer who marks them so a MEC can waste them with a crit, or a Muton who manages to survive four 95% shots and then runs around and scores a fluke one-shot flanking crit, or a Stun Lancer who runs through the entire squad and across half the map to knock them out and then the building they're in burns down or something.

Just now I had the Warlock run into the room, summon two ghost troopers with Spectral Army, and then sit around making snide comments while those troopers spotted my team, ran forward, immediately got to take a turn, ran around my only Ranger and absolutely evaporated him with two flanking crits, all before I got to take any action. I just sat there and stared at the screen for a minute.

I now have close to two dozen soldiers and zero of them are Rangers. :pwn:

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Angry Diplomat posted:

I've been having a hell of a time with this Commander Ironman run. All of my Rangers get killed immediately when I send them out. It doesn't matter how I equip them, how carefully I play, or what kind of mission I send them on. The first mission they embark on, there will be an Officer who marks them so a MEC can waste them with a crit, or a Muton who manages to survive four 95% shots and then runs around and scores a fluke one-shot flanking crit, or a Stun Lancer who runs through the entire squad and across half the map to knock them out and then the building they're in burns down or something.

Just now I had the Warlock run into the room, summon two ghost troopers with Spectral Army, and then sit around making snide comments while those troopers spotted my team, ran forward, immediately got to take a turn, ran around my only Ranger and absolutely evaporated him with two flanking crits, all before I got to take any action. I just sat there and stared at the screen for a minute.

I now have close to two dozen soldiers and zero of them are Rangers. :pwn:

I've noticed that sometimes the game just shits on one of your troopers. I've had field medics hit with some of the hardest shits when the aliens spot us. My snipers also get 15% shot from across the map a lot.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Just got XCOM 1 again having never played EW. Starting my EW runs on Classic cause I could do commander on xcom 2 no problem and my goodness is EW classic tough. I know gotta use hunker down more but the moment I reach the first bomb defuse stage things just go wrong. Any tips? Also in for a rude awakening when I remembered rockets aren't 100% accurate and can hit your buddy in front of you

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, nades being 100% in X2 was a letdown, as it just means you use them as trick-shots instead of giving them generous spacing as you'd imagine you'd want to do with explosives.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It didn't happen often but a big part of what made rockets fun were those rare occasions where the rocket went catastrophically off-course.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I love the new XCOMs to bits. The things they did made it easier for a reasonable person to just pick up and play the dang game. But holy smokes do the originals still hold up, especially OpenXcom taking the edge off the sillier relics of its design. The new games definitely create stories and a lot of tension, but you give the original a shot and it'll still show you why fans were demanding a sequel/update for almost twenty years insistently.

The ramp hits the ground on the first terror mission and I'm delighted for 3 reasons

1. Its daylight
2. I rushed laser pistols, so if nothing else I can have my poor unfortunates rabbit around in the open while the marksmen can get their Imperial Guard roleplay on
3. It's floaters

OpenXcom gets rid of the 80 item limit, so you can do grown-up tactics like carrying reloads for the big guns on your rookies and boy howdy was I ever ready to Do The Dew going into this mission with a dozen autocannon belts on my dozen squaddies--attrition meant I couldn't quite fill the skyranger at the end of the month which is always a good sign. I had 3 autocannons chambered with AP shells along with the obligatory rocket launcher, assuming it was gonna be sectoids and cyberdisks. That I'd be dealing with neither Cyberdisk Accuracy nor goddamned sectoid mind control was a relief, so I threw the obligatory smoke on the ramp and went out into the mess. Five floaters were camping the ramp, but no Reapers--biomechanical lovechildren of pigs and battle tanks-- and we have smoke cover on most of the approach angles to the ramp so no worries. Only two squaddies dead on the first turn, this ain't my first rodeo.

We're in the southeast corner and all the Reapers are hooting and dooting in and around some shops and houses in the northwest. This is good because Reapers have lots of TUs and instamurder everything in melee, but is slightly problematic because thats a lot of health in a small area. Which is why I brought the rocket launcher on "Tiny" my best veteran--and ranking officer present. Just line up that shot at the occupied civilian residences in the distance, aaaaaannnnnnnd:

She shoots the loving thing square in the middle of my base of fire element. Two instadead, two bleeding out, and a civilian for salt. Now its a game. Now I gotta give a poo poo.

Next turn I reload the rocket and switch over as many autocannons to HE as I can to start bringing down the Reapers as well as the structures they're using to hide. Did I mention how nice it is to be able to bring extra ammo? A second rocket on the next turn evaporates a house on the far north of the map and the floaters inside, but the Reapers just keep coming and coming and coming. One of them gets close, but stop next to a corner store to give the third and last rocket a nice little. Tiny--the best of the best we have to offer--shoots it 45 degrees off target and straight into the back of the second best squaddie I had, who was already bleeding from the first rocket. Stunned, I move up a laser pistol grenadier from out of his covered position behind the landing gear and fire off an auto burst just to end this farce. The farce is just beginning because with 3 shots taken, two of them perfectly assassinate two civilians on each side of the Reaper.

By this point I'm in shock at how unnecessarily complicated this has become. I believe this is the point I shrugged and said "We've probably run out of WarCrimes to do"

One more floater later we corner the last Reaper behind a fence in front of another apartment. Triangulated HE Autocannon fire settles for him, as well as the entire south-facing side of some poor landlord's property. Probably another civilian too. I wasn't counting by that point. By the end we were completely out of all dozen or so autocannon belts, all the rockets, and most of our grenades. If I was still on rifles I'm pretty sure I'd have run out of ammo entirely.

Eighty. Five. Points. I don't think I've ever scored so low on a successful mission before.

i loving love this game so much

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

AppleDan posted:

I've noticed that sometimes the game just shits on one of your troopers. I've had field medics hit with some of the hardest shits when the aliens spot us. My snipers also get 15% shot from across the map a lot.

Update: managed to pull a no-casualties win out of an insanely stressful mission that involved three Squaddies and almost killed my best Grenadier, and then the game decided to hang after the post-mission loading screen. Now it looks like my savegame is corrupted. I was playing on console too, so I'm just straight hosed I guess :negative:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Reapers can get a second claymore, and if you use the sticky bomb thing it means it sets one shot from any of your soldiers to 100% accuracy. This makes them super good at killing hard to hit chosen in high cover. Sticky them and shoot them with a holotarget grenadier - cover elimination, holotarget, and shred simultaneously.

You can banish after if you wanna.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Angry Diplomat posted:

Update: managed to pull a no-casualties win out of an insanely stressful mission that involved three Squaddies and almost killed my best Grenadier, and then the game decided to hang after the post-mission loading screen. Now it looks like my savegame is corrupted. I was playing on console too, so I'm just straight hosed I guess :negative:

gosh I feel this super hard, I play on PC but i've had a hangup after one of the best strokes of luck i've ever had in this game. A snippy got assaulted by a muton and then crit him with her pistol at point blank, saving her life. The game hangs up then, and when I reload she misses the shot every single time despite it being a 95%. Every miss she had just straight up killed her on the next turn, I ended up moving her and letting the muton work over one of my other troopers instead. No one ended up dying, but gently caress that hangup for taking my cool muton kill.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So first time I've had this problem, but when I opened XCom 2 today I got the usual "file load error" that happens every now and again, only this time there were no items in my mod list, despite having just added several. I'm validating files now, but has this happened to anyone else that knows a solution in case validating files doesn't work?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Willie Tomg posted:

Eighty. Five. Points. I don't think I've ever scored so low on a successful mission before.

It's been years since I played openXcom, and decades since I played TFTD, but isn't a really-good score lategame something like 2,000? That's a whoooole lotta civvies you just murdered, that's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

So first time I've had this problem, but when I opened XCom 2 today I got the usual "file load error" that happens every now and again, only this time there were no items in my mod list, despite having just added several. I'm validating files now, but has this happened to anyone else that knows a solution in case validating files doesn't work?

I would check to see what Steam is downloading, because this sounds like Steam took one look at your downloaded mods and went "time to re-download everything".

As someone who had Steam do that three times throughout the game's lifetime so far, it started hurting inside when it happened twice after my modholicsm really kicked in.