Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Are sectopods back and willing to drop artillery from deep within the fog of war on unsuspecting rookies? I need to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

That sounds correct finally. They were scary as poo poo in the original games and largely not in the modern game.

Like in early game if I was still in stock weapons and landed/saw a 'lid, I'd immediately button back up and just leave. Good luck brisbane! We're out!

Also secretly hoping they eventually create a analogue of handing a rookie two demo charges one for each hand, arming them then running into a ship to get shot up/kill everything. Ahalu Ackbar mother fuckers.

I may have also used this to breach "Hey rook, hold these and go stand next to that wall."

I did the same with lobstermen and the biodrones in TFTD. Cruise ship and lobstermen? gently caress you game, I don't want to lose 3 rookies trying to close to melee range so I can get the guaranteed kill on one of those aquatic demons. It's probably going to kill 2 people anyways as I close to melee range, I don't need to trigger its reaction fire and lose a 3rd one on top of that. That, and the bastards would lay silent in a random closet somewhere until you found them, then they'd start their reign of blood :gonk:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The moon seems to be on the Geoscape, at least on one the Steam preview videos on the store page. :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Gonna take it to those loving moon men.

I don't know what to call the achievement, but the little picture for it should be Neil Armstrong's bootprint superimposed on a sectoid face.

e: Over the Moon: kill an alien on the lunar surface. Paired with Shooting the Moon (picture: a deck of cards, for the Hearts reference), downing an alien craft in lunar space.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 29, 2016

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It's time to go rocket-punch a thin-man into a truck until it explodes (the truck or the thin-man, preferably both). Y'know, just for old time's sakes. :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok I'm gonna mod the Skryranger mission briefing to have classic rock songs playing from the PA.

Long Tall Sally and Fortunate Son is guaranteed, can I get some other suggestions?

Slayer, "Raining Blood" and Iron Maiden "Fear of the Dark" for max :black101:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just got to the first Portent missions on EW Classic. Confirmed: Thin Men still gigantic assholes, but respond well to explosives :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lunethex posted:

No snakes?

Maybe some sidewinder missiles :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Gonna train up all the Rangers and get one promoted to captain, where he will be renamed Faramir and they will ambush xeno and collaborator alike :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

It had to be done.

0/10, nickname not "B-ROCK THE ISLAMIC SHOCK" :colbert:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I kind of want to do that to be honest, get my C# chops on

But that would prevent me from actually playing XCOM 2

That's a tough call!!!

Is it though? :twisted:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I've pretended to be Australian long enough...here we go :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Wraith is pretty situational but on the occasions when it is useful god drat is it ever useful.

Also yes killing infinity Lost with a pistol is absolutely the greatest thing in the entire world.

e;

100% correct approach. Low cover does not exist as far as higher difficulties are concerned.

I see some things didn’t change from the original.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I haven't been a big fan of the turn-based games I've tried, but I downloaded XCOM1's demo on a whim and founded myself enjoying it. Likely due to the unique camera work when characters perform an action.

Sad I missed this on the Winter Sale, but onto my wishlist it goes.

I might have an extra copy of that on Steam, I’ll look when I get back home.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I haven't been a big fan of the turn-based games I've tried, but I downloaded XCOM1's demo on a whim and founded myself enjoying it. Likely due to the unique camera work when characters perform an action.

Sad I missed this on the Winter Sale, but onto my wishlist it goes.

I've got an extra copy, go check your PMs :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

HE tanks were way better than rookies in xcom!

HE everything. Machine guns, autocannons, HWPs, gently caress the aliens and the general area they're standing in :twisted:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

One of the MEC abilities does a 100 or so damage on a melee strike, single-use, reduces your melee damage for the rest of the mission.

I used it to dunk on the final Avatar in my Commander playthrough.

:stare: Do not go send them gently into that good night

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bogart posted:

I just want to see a Lobsterman / shoot a Toxgun.

If I can kill them by shooting easier than closing to melee range with a heavy thermic lance, I'm down.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:zoid: used the time code once, and this is where he landed.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nordick posted:

Actually you are wrong and the lost are fun as poo poo.

My bladestorm reaper and templar agree with you, with some giggling from a sniper w/ fan fire :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve had sectopods do the same.

Is there a cosmetic mod for melee weapons? I’ve got a Ranger nicknamed ‘Axeman” whose main hobby is showing the aliens how he got that name, and I’d love to put an axe in his hands for max :black101:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Speaking of Axeman, he random'd into short shorts and no shirt, just body armor, boots, and a helmet. I like how he rolls :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Operation Righteous Pyre. 3 heavies, a gunslinger sniper, a colonel ranger, and a colonel skirmisher all went in to visit with 68 Lost, the Hunter, and some of his Stun Lancer buddies. 2 came out lightly wounded, and 2 of the heavies made colonel (alongside the sniper). Operation name was fitting, if for nothing else all the fires caused by throwing grenades at clusters of Lost (and summoning more of them :getin: )

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Things I learned ghosting trying to ghost the Assassin stronghold mission:

Claymores do not work on the pillar at the end
Banish does not work on the pillar at the end
2x Reapers can't do the job if the Assassin starts summoning units

I got all the way to the end while still in Shadow with 2 colonel Reapers thinking I could do a combo of Banish/claymore damage to destroy the pillar at the end of the mission, but I got there and found out that neither of those things cause any damage :haw: I was only doing it as a test to see if the mission could be done (almost) entirely from Shadow, it goes amazingly fast when you don't have to engage a single unit until you're in the 2nd level.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Having a Reaper sneaking through to get LoS on the generator and seeing 3-4 pods of enemies charging towards the Avenger’s ramp (on top of whatever Chosen is there) is a touch unnerving, especially when your A-team is mostly wounded and you’ve got 6 squaddies or below on the mission. My vets survived, with ~10hp between the 3 of them.

My iPad tried to correct “squaddies” to “squad died”, it knows how XCOM is played.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I got one on a not-Newfoundland map, I think. In general mine have been in cities though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bogart posted:

Overwatch with a sword

So we’re back to axe-throwing? :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

I uh, just rolled my templar's last special ability. The three he got were shadow step, reaper, and blade storm.

He has a lot fewer buttons than most templars, but the one button he does have is labeled 'kill'

I see my Templar named "DRAX THE DESTROYER" is going on tour :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Exposure posted:

It's not shown in the menus but Vektor Rifles have a really high crit damage compared to other weapons: they do damage on par with a sniper rifle critting. So a variable worth considering if you have any Reapers who can stack crit chance as much as they can.

Bullpups are outmatched by ARs if there's no penalties involved, however.

So is it worth giving Reapers Talon Rounds to stack the crit percentage, or giving them AP Rounds to bypass the annoyingly-high late-game armor? I’ve always defaulted to AP Rounds for anyone that isn’t a Ranger, with a few Tracer Rounds tossed in here and there as filler.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I've been sending Mox all the covert ops that increase movement and dodge, and I was wondering if there's a max stat for either one, or does it just keep going up until you've got an untouchable soldier who can traverse the entire map at once? I think I've got him up to 15 movement and ~40 dodge, no PCS installed. I feel like being able to move beyond your sight line could be a problem, outside of having to carry a VIP to the evac point once the mission starts turning sour.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tha_Joker_GAmer posted:

War of the chosen really earns that £35 price tag

Oh gods yes. Put it on your wishlist right now, and see if it doesn’t come up on sale since the Steam Winter Sale should be coming up soon.

E: I don’t know if the winter sale is a US-only thing or not, but the expansion was well worth the price either way.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 16, 2018

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Between the bonus weapons from legacy ops and the weapons picked up from the Chosen after you kill them, you can have an impressive squad loadout towards the endgame.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The weapons you get from the Legacy Ops are definitely worth it, too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I used to put AP rounds with my Reapers, but this thread opened my eyes to the utter comedy of giving them Talon rounds. Give the, those and their damage output is on par with snipers.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

double nine posted:

What happens if you put armor-piercing rounds on a heavy with the shredder modifier?

You get both effects. It ignores the armor for damage purposes, but still shreds it for everyone else shooting at the same poor bastard.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

the only risk involved with templars is getting the first two kills to fully charge up your melee

I’ve found that as long as they get Bladestorm (or whatever their equivalent skill is), charging them dead-center into a pod and having everyone flee after the first hit (and get cut down) is the most fun way to get in on a multi-kill. This was how one of my Templars earned the name “DRAX THE DESTROYER”, and kept re-earning it until his unfortunate death. Dude was a murder machine, watching Lost try to cut him down was hilarious.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Danaru posted:

I know you get revealed by planting X4 because otherwise Reapers could just solo advent facilities, but it still sucks rear end

They can’t Banish the crystal/revival matrix/whatever it’s called on a Chosen base assault, either. It also doesn’t respond to claymores :(

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fatigue isn’t affected by the healing rate modifiers. I think it gets shorter as your soldiers level up, but not entirely sure.

e: found this on Reddit, re: Will/fatigue/etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/72904q/wotc_fatigue_system_explained_via_ini_file/

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 15, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s almost exactly what I’m rolling with in the endgame. ~20 soldiers, plus whatever randoms I pick up along the way as rewards/rescues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Slashrat posted:

Let us tell you tales of lobstermen cruise ship terror missions...

Hiding in a closet, on the far end of the ship...and you spent your last TUs to get there before realizing you forgot to pack the thermic lances. A Bio-drone screams in delight in the background, and another rookie dies at random.

e: this was on level 1. Level 2 still awaits...