Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Coolguye posted:

Post 'em? I've been stupid busy the last couple of weeks so I basically didn't see the last dozen pages of the last thread.

I'd also ideally like more badass webms to put in the OP (in the place of the existing images) to provide a better experience for those doing their civic duty and listening to XCOM Gon Give It To Ya

Linked that skulljacking one to someone, was replied with "OH MY loving GOD YOU CAN DO THAT?!" a few moments later. :allears:

Was I insane in remembering that one of the interviews/streams mentioned that xcom 2's modding assets will have xcom 1's features in it? I cant... find it anywhere online. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just finished Enemy Within savescumming, I want XCOM2 to be a new beginning where I can play like a real human being.

I would turn on Ironman because I want to have losing be part of my learning curve and also legitimately see the game over screen, but I am worried about stability issues with a new game.

Then Bronzeman it. Geoscape: Save at the start of each month, use that if you outright loose or your game gets corrupt. In-mission: Save at the start of each mission, you cant restart unless your entire squad dies. Don't run your dudes to get killed "because Jenny "C'mon & Slam" Ronaldson died", play it as it falls down.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'm hyped too, but yeah, my expectations remain that this is going to be hilariously buggy at launch. :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm imagining a bunch of Ethereals in suits at a board meeting doing just this :allears:

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. XCOM:EW showed us pretty clearly that the Ethereals are loving incompetent and can only just "get by" when it comes to interacting with humanity.

"Oh! Its the volunteer! you're so cool. :swoon: We've been waiting for you to come help us fix our awful bodies... wait, why are you aiming that sniper rifle at m-..." :hellyeah:

So yeah, my new headcanon for the vipers is;

Blackfyre posted:

Eth 1: "Thats a solid idea, anyone else?"
Eth 3: "Tits"

Blackfyre posted:

I've gone from 'Oh Cool' to super pumped for this realising it is out in just a week. My other half was more into EU than I was (I still love old X-COM though) but she is struggling to get excited for 2.

She seems to be mainly tripping up on the snake aliens and wondering why an alien looks so much like something from Earth and doesn't get the breasts.

:shrug:

Hey, the Swoletoid got buff and all that, thats pretty weird too! Honestly, "The Ethereals are incompetent" remains my handwave of choice. :colbert:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Bremen posted:

That's the infamous Portent mission. It's noteable for being extremely difficult for the point in the game where you usually get it, and it's also the first of three missions in the Operation Progeny mission arc that comes with Enemy Within.

That mission spelled doom for 4 of my 5 restarts before i got my golden game. :argh:

LordNat posted:

Since our base in XCOM 2 is going to be a refitted space ship what are the odds that the Expansion Pack is going to be sending us into space after we retake the surface?

I think Bradly has a base dialogue that pretty much says that. he got cut off tho, so I have no idea if one of the other crew replies with anything.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
One the final council mission (would you believe i got van doorn's mission last? It was magical. :allears:) thinmen still managed to be dangerous enough to give me pause, and i was rocking full plasma + titan with gene mods sprinkled here and there and a fully powered MCH.

Its incredible how they are just so sodding dangerous. Always flank crits from half the map aways. Always.

E: Why dont we have a thinmen emote? :xcom:'s not enough. :dunkedon:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 29, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

SupSuper posted:

Likewise. If OpenXcom development completely halts next week, you'll know why.

Oh is it kosher to mention OpenXcom in here? My threads never last. :shobon:

It loving better be. OpenXcom is doing important work. :colbert:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, for the goons that read the book that handles what happens before the game itself, did the aliens start "culling" the human populace or have they gone for a relatively peacefull occupation?

Peaceful, but sinister. People are disappearing but not enough to rouse public ire, just the occasional person who wont let it go, also;

Darkrenown posted:

People are vanishing, aliens blame it on XCOM terror-bombings.

The book is awful.

The aliens blame alot on XCOM. As for the book itself, its serviceable but completely passable. Cut and dry military stuff with an xcom paintjob. The really interesting part is the contagion and the zones that have been flagged as such. It'll be a shame if that's not a plot point in the game.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 30, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
http://www.twitch.tv/pax2/v/38694034?t=02h19m55s

For anyone who missed it. If the link doesn't work, it "starts" at 02:20:00.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

The Iron Rose posted:

also the game looks fun too. also JohnnyLump is a hilariously terrible public speaker.

Coming from Minecraft and Minecraft modders, hes a loving saint of the silver tongue. :haw: Also 02:32:40, he seems alright so far Rose! But maybe my aformentioned experiences has left me expecting much worse. E: Haha, okay. He gets to the point of actually talking about his mods and the nerves kick in. :allears:

Exposure posted:

Re-watching the part where they show some of the animations, I noticed the list to the side reveals the name of a new enemy type, the ADVENT Psi Witch.

:allears: Awesome. I hope they get Fuse. :unsmigghh:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 30, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mad Pills posted:

POLICE-COM!

That... would actually be weirdly cool, if you also need to deal with XCOM being the unsubtle sledgehammer to the problems the city is facing.

Like, great, sure! The alien infiltration of the slums was thwarted, but now the rubble is clearing and one of the gangs is on the rise because it was the HQ of another. Worse, the local politics shift and twist as the war unfolds. Is that senator under alien influence when she pushes for more Sectoid rights, or does she genuinely care because they are a primary part of her workforce? :tinfoil:

A plot unfolds to bomb the spaceport? You NEED to stop that, without the regular supplies from space, the situation in the city is going to deteriorate fast, and XCOM will be breathing down your neck.
Another plot to poison a hospital with the alien vector that you hear of? You could pass it on to XCOM, or you could risk doing it yourself and avoid having to explain to the people of the city that the hospital in question is out of commission for... forever. :sweatdrop: Dont mess it up however, or an entire section of the city might become rabid from mind control as a result!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Beagle posted:

(Thank you Heti/@fartknuckle)

Perfection. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Darkrenown posted:

The aliens merged outsiders with the internet :ohdear:

.... that they look like smokey women debunks that one.

You KNOW what they would look like if they were merged with the internet. :stonk: :cripes: :yikes:

Giant tittied, giant eyed, dead faced expressions, a seething mass of flesh. Skyrim modding brought to life. Make it stop make it stop. make it stop.

DrManiac posted:

Apparently we only saw around half of the enemies in the game so far.

I'm assuming a portion of the enemies to come will be upgraded versions, which... is good enough for me honestly. I could stand for things like "Oh, that viper has twice the healt-"*MOVE, YANK, CHOKE*-"DID SHE JUST TAKE THREE TURNS IN ONE?! BULLSHIT! :argh:" moments replacing a total mystery of what the next alien will do.

E: Call me silly, but I really hope we get an upgraded ADVENT officer class who starts calling down airstrikes willy nilly on XCOM because the alien's are done being subtle and if nuking half a city block gets XCOM's a-team killed, they are prepared to deal with the fallout. :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 31, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Junpei posted:

I'm glad that LWS is getting props from the devs, but I still hope this doesn't delay their unique project much.

Lets be fair, Terra Invicta is years and years away. Doing some XCOM 2 mods on the side will probably help keep them focused by means of the occasional break.

LotsBread posted:

you heard the rules, kid, go away

Pffh. That was fine. Please do not use "Tho Shall Not Junpeis's" lightly, we'll need it later. :colbert:

E:

Crosspeice posted:

I'm gonna name my sword "CLOSE RANGE?!"

A good name. I think "Justice" will do for me.

E2: God I hope we get an entirely silly mod for putting mods on swords and grenade launchers. Why yes, I DO want to scope my sword. :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 31, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

alarumklok posted:

I bet loving pigs makes you really good at empathizing with inhuman cultures so I'm going to bet on dave

:five: Thanks for that.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I was watching the Pax South video, and they mentioned they had 2400 different maps in the game. That's kind of nuts, but I thought they were implementing procedurally generated maps? Unless they're using both

Watch it again! In short; each map is part that interconnects with other maps. Road A connects to House 13, which is in turn connected at back to Pathway C7.

It helps avoid impossibly nonsensical maps that would lack detail and atmosphere.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 1, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

We Happy Few is shaping up nicely.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FkZdURy07I

Video with Multiplayer. Interestingly enough the list of possible alien units has no surprises.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

amanasleep posted:

Replay files alone will make XCOM 2 MP really great.

It is interesting that there were no other aliens, although it's possible that they were embargoed from that review build. I'd be pretty shocked if Ethereals are not a unit.

Ah, good point. :haw: Still at this point I'm going to assume that's the full unit list bar a few nasty surprises at the end (Uber Ethereal-like alien(s)) and upgraded versions of existing units.

Profanity posted:

They mention it briefly in the video that they should have a rematch with the full roster. Plus we know of two further enemies that aren't on that list.

Rad. I've never been happier to be wrong. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Nordick posted:

I'm with ya in that sentiment, I've always preferred ballistic guns over energy ones in games too.
One of my favourite things about Xenonauts was that there was a fourth tier of weapons after plasma, and it was "mag" weapons, so effectively gauss. It was like "We took a look at everything we learned from the aliens, and used it to come up with our own poo poo that's just flat-out better. Projectile supremacy, bitches!" :smug:

I've always liked the idea that energy weapons are the "Big guns" in a sci-fi's arsenal. Beam Weapons in Freespace 2 being the "Main Guns". Ion Frigates from Homeworld & the Buster weapons in Gundam Wing for example. You put them on dedicated platforms for when something absolutely has to die and deal with how fiddly it is to fire them again.

Maybe someone will take a page from Long War. Have Gen 2 Mag weapons built on beam weapon principles that, while lacking for ammo, slag's armour & mechanized units like its going out of fashion. :shobon:

E:

Speedball posted:

If you're talking Enemy Within, ghost grenades are loving AMAZING. You want to keep someone alive? They're ghosted. You want to sneak a MEC past enemy fire to blow up two Sectopods at once with an EMP? Ghost grenade him!

Yeah I have you to thank for making me realize how good ghost grenades are! I saved so many out of position soldier's with a timely ghosting its unreal, and when my support of choice randomly rolled up "two "support" grenades per mission" perk... :magical:

E2: Also I got some mileage out of the mimic beacon in EW, tossing it on a terror mission to pull the pods into a killzone worked nicely.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 2, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

64bitrobot posted:

+15 aim and +2 damage would make it really tempting. +15 aim and +3 damage would still only be tempting. Phantom is just that useful, I think.

Could make it +2 damage and movement? This games modding potential is going to make it so good. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Just replace the sound of the engines with the song and we can relive the glory days of flying into a sneaking mission while blasting crappy Jpop

This will never, ever stop being funny to me. Although it would need some working to make it more fitting to XCOM 2. :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
"Whatever that was, it didn't work." - FauxBiscuit.

But seriously, that British accent is perfect. :allears:

AegisP posted:

Oh boy, new enemy type.

What do you mean? :raise:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Strobe posted:

I will actually laugh if Beagle is playing the Easy-mode version of Legendary because it's a review copy.

He mentioned at the start of this stream that he was... or at least not playing the version that has the updated "take a shot at exposed targets on reveal" mechanics.

E: FUTBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 2, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Darkrenown posted:

Might be nice if high Avatar progress gave some bonuses to the aliens? Like Alien research in LW, high progress would spawn more/harder enemies in missions.

I could see a Long War style redesign where each Advent facility adds income to the alien's research pool, further encouraging their destruction and not toying with the doom counter working well, yeah.

It could also add to the dark event's drawn every month, say +1 event per 2-3 facilities if research would be too boring.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Speaking of the older games, did Xenonauts ever become a thing or did they just give up when Fireaxis beat them at their own game?

Mate, not only did Xenonauts become a thing its also a surprisingly good thing. Art direction hampers it by a noticeable amount but the gameplay is rock solid, the modding support is painless, the narrative is delightful, the lead scientist is the best NPC in one of these games ever and the power fantasy is loving fantastic when the final tier weapons is the lead science guy going "Pffh, Plasma? gently caress that, lets just go back to ballistics. Railgun ballistics." :getin:

It's totally worth grabbing it, the community pack and taking it out for a spin in these final days before xcom 2.

E: There's also something disquieting in watching the global casualty rate slowly rise as the war goes on. I'm sorry shipping half a world away! I didn't have radar coverage to save you! :cry:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 2, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Nordick posted:

Not to mention when the UFOs stage an aerial terror bombing somewhere that's out of range of all your planes and then the casualty rate jumps up by like 50 000. :gonk:

I think it has plenty of atmosphere and charm. :shrug: The night mission ambient music is especially creepy as gently caress.
As for the visual direction, imo it's mostly just the battlescape sprites that are rear end. All the Xenopaedia art and base screen backgrounds and stuff look great and I don't mind the soldier graphics either. But, yeah, those sprites are awful.

A failed terror mission ending in a nuclear strike was 100% :stare: material.

It absolutely has its charms, but its not that cheesy UFO + 90's comic book charm and instead is more like older sci-fi "everything is a human in a rubber suit" Star trek charm.

Cosmic Afro posted:

Xenonauts is OK in my book, it does have a lot going for it that's been mentioned, but I always felt it didn't have... energy, I guess. Not the same sort of the original X-COM have.

The Railgun thing is kickass, mind.

Combined with Science Guy being the best NPC, I can agree this is the fairest view on Xenonauts.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Junpei posted:

Why can't we have both?
No classes, but you can have special abilities based on what weapon a soldier is using and how high their skill with a weapon is, with raising the weapon skill granting abilities.

There is a stylized difference here that puts different emphasis on play styles and idenities, one to treat your squad as as characters, the other as another resource*.

But I like the cut of your jib. Reminds me of Final Fantasy 9's system where each character equipped weapons that gave them new skills, and prolonged usage of said weapons taught the skills permanently, but you could only equip so many skills that way.

*XCOM:EW stresses the value of life, where as Classic XCOM / Xenonauts teaches you the importance of sacrifice. Melodramatic I know but one asks you to keep 6 people alive, the other asks you "how many rookies does it take to breech a large UFO?", I'm sure there's a better way of putting it but its 01:30 in the morning. Interestingly enough, XCOM 2 looks like its setting itself up to try to balance the two slightly. Leave men behind to get the victory? Its worth it, and you can always save them later.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

lordsummerisle posted:

I found XCOM EU/EW a bit too easy on normal, but get my rear end handed to me on classic. What difficulty should I start XCOM2 on?

Go with whatever counts as classic. You will overcome the hurdle, trust me. Took me 5 "five week+" restarts before I hit my stride.

If you're still playing XCOM EW on classic; Throw more grenades and dont overwatch where the alien's can see you. That will make them shoot you instead and early on they have the better guns. Lasers are a good thing to race towards, MEC's after are also a solid choice.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 3, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Soothing Vapors posted:

There's only 4 this time, but it goes from "total newbie" to "beaglerush." I've watched Jamball play on Veteran (2nd difficulty) a few times, it looks pretty easy IMO but it's good to have options.

Vet looks like it has the right challenge to be friendly, but I'd like it to have more aliens per pod. Maybe that'll be Commander difficulty? :haw:

Mr.PayDay posted:

So the Reinforcement Pack includes 3 coming DLCs, is that right? What do the Goons think about the Digital Deluxe Pack then? I am tempted... Buying, yes...no? :rolldice:

I had the money to spare, No real reason other then "I'd end up buying them anyway v:shobon:v"

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Speedball posted:

The idea of a renegade alien returning as another class is pretty neat, but I don't know if it'll happen. I don't know if Melding as we knew it before will return, at least, not in the DLC they've promised already. It looks like PCS Chips fill that role, by granting a soldier a semi-permanent but overwritable buff due to sticking a chip in their head. Only trouble is, you can only have one chip pers soldier! :argh:

... I wonder if it'd be possible to have PCS chips that add perks and not stats? :aaaaa:

JonTerp posted:

Boxed copies I believe only have a steam installer on the disc.

Is that a reference to the debacle that was boxed PC MGS5? :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Cool.

quote:

Game Engine – using Unity3D will give us a much more capable platform for development than our previous engine, so expect fewer bugs, improved performance, better modding support, etc
3D Graphics – moving from 2D sprites to 3D graphics will improve visual fidelity, but will also be valuable for gameplay – it allows for things like rotating cameras, vastly improved animation, physics objects, accurate projectile tracking, etc
Ground Combat – we will be retaining the Time Unit combat system, and will enhance the interface and giving the player additional tactical options: destructible UFOs, better use of terrain verticality, human psionics, etc
Geoscape – we want to add a lot more strategic choice for the player with regards to the research tree and how they choose to expand their organisation (there was definitely too much strategic railroading in the first Xenonauts)
Air Combat – redesigned to be turn-based and to feature larger numbers of combatants, with the goal of making it a less frequent occurrence but more tactically involved when it does happen
Aliens – we are visually and mechanically redesigning all of the enemies, and creating a more intelligent and challenging foe by developing gameplay systems that allow the aliens to respond and adapt to your tactics and technology

Coooool. So-so on the Air War getting changed, Xenonauts did that right, but hey. Also not so hot on Human Psionics but I cant complain about it either!

Dandywalken posted:

Agreed.

Gonna call it now: Unity Engine

They already said so! So... yeah! You called it right. :3:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
E: ^^^^ loving magical.

Zaphod42 posted:

What's wrong with human psi? X-COM UFO Defense / UFO: Enemy Unknown had psi humans.

I like humans having psionics! Its a really cool power set but Xenonauts omitting them also opened up more wiggle room to give the alien's one last great weapon... and for you to feel really good about slugging said weapon in the face with a mag cannon because we overcome the Praetor's with superior technology. :getin: :science:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I trust someone will mod the commanders office to resemble this?

:stonk:

Godmachine posted:

I'm not up on the lore of XCom 2. Do we know when the XCom initiative failed? Did all the events in part 1 still take place?

The tie-in book explains that a few ufo's were shot down by XCOM, a few successful missions, everything going smoothly, then countries pulled out, funding got cut and someone blabbed about the location of XCOM HQ to the aliens.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
... Oh my god at what just happened in Jam's stream. :aaaaa:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

VDay posted:

Do you think the dozens of people posting in this thread that are playing the game are all actual Australians?

Ye-..Yes? Every goon I have ever known is a righteous, virtuous soul who would never do anything underhanded!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Speedball posted:

Thyrork even has a Mad Max avatar! How could you doubt his Australianness?

:haw: You wot mate?!

Actually I'm going to do something that would get me lynched by all the* Americans, I'm actually not going to play at midnight EU. :ssh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Klyith posted:

Definitely don't play Ironman the first week unless you have a very sanguine temperament about game bugs. Get some willpower and play ironman the way we used to in the old days: with the knowledge that we could reload at any time but only at the cost of eternal shame.

Yeah, You're up and insane if you dont think this is going to have some frustrating bugs somewhere. XCOM has too many moving parts not too.

Play "Legit" Ironman for you're second playthrough. Since the game's looking a hell of alot more lasting out of the box, its not like you're ruining anything. I'm going to be Bronzemanning* my first time.

*Inspired by Long War's Bronzeman Mode. Make a save at the start of every tactical engagement, you can load that save if its a squad wipe. Otherwise play it as it comes down.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Got a lead, researched it, nothing happened on the geoscape. :raise: So what exactly are they meant to do?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

They let you assault a facility in a territory you don't control. Use the mission bar at the bottom of the map.

Oh gently caress yes. This is exactly what I need to pull this campaign out of freefall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Not sure what the threads thoughts on spoilers are so... into the tags! Skulljacker, what are you doing. That is not "her" skull oh god why?! :stare: :gonk:

Some of the point of view and model bugs in this game are magical, others are terrible and frustrating. This same thing happened to Jam too. This game, its so good. :allears:

Damo posted:

Couple questions if any kind people could help me out:

Hybrid materials: You get a item that replaces grenades. I heavily question its usefulness.

Build order: Beags Tips got you covered!

Resistence radio & the rest: see above, but my advice would be to not delay getting access to the skulljack much past the first blacksite. When you use it is upto you, but have it handy because it... helps. Dont want to spoil too much.

General Advice: Read Beaglerush's tips twice! No really!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 7, 2016