Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Playing XCOM 2 for the first time and the OP has been very useful, especially the mod list. Going for QoL/fix mods only but Peek From Concealment looks very interesting. Does it make the gameplay significantly different/easier? Going to play with WotC if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

Not sure if you ever got a response on this, but I've used it forever and I find it great. It's not really a huge change. Mostly it just keeps you from being revealed any time it seems obvious to a reasonable person that you wouldn't be. Like in the default game, if you are on the last tile at the edge of a building, enemies around the corner and down the street will still see you. Peek from Concealment says no to that, because it would make sense that you could take a quick look around a corner without every alien in the city noticing you. It will also keep you concealed if you're hiding behind a rock or something and a patrol happens to walk past on the other side, as long as you don't move. You're still noticed if you get flanked, of course. It's never felt cheaty to me, just a fix for those moments that feel like the game is cheating you.

Good to hear, thanks. Will add it in, just about finished setting up qol/fixes mods and AML and ready to start playing. Ran a few missions vanilla and then again with WotC before modding and am really looking forward to this game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Can someone help me troubleshoot this? WotC was running fine last night but now when I try to start it it won't open. I press play from the launcher but it never starts, I can see it in the task manager but that's it.

Try removing or moving your config files. They're in Documents\My Games\XCOM2 War of the Chosen\XComGame\Config for WotC. Safe to remove, the game will create them again when you restart, though you may have to go through Options again.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

XCom 2 Complete Collection plays very well on an iPad Air 4. They've done a lot of work to make it feel like a touchscreen-native game and the UI is quite effortless, though I occasionally double tap on an adjacent square if zoomed out.

UI has improvements like showing flanking status for each enemy when selecting a square pre-move; shows all aimable enemies and hit %s up front; in general, feels like they looked at some of the improvements in mods and worked them in where it made sense.

Downsides are no mods (big negative), textures are a bit on the lower side (can't see the difference after an hour or so), price is high for the App Store at $25.

It's surprising how iPad-native the game feels. Turn-based games are perfect for the device.

E: Also installed the PC version on an ultralight laptop and was surprised at how well it plays on an intergrated GPU (Intel 8550U with HD 620). 720p with textures at max, shadows/draw distance on medium, and some of the really heavy stuff turned off (ambient occlusion, depth of field) gives about 20fps. 20fps is fine for turn-based games like this one or Wasteland 3 (720p, around medium settings) for me. Great to have deeper, more involved games to play on an ultralight laptop or iPad whilst away from gaming PC.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 10, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

What's a decent roster size for WotC? Playing on Veteran, no mods, first run through, iPad version. I've got about 20 so far at squaddie and wondering if that's large enough.

Better to have everyone around the same level through rotation or should I get a few of them to higher levels ASAP by taking a more experienced soldier or two on every mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So that's why everything else goes to poo poo when I tab out of wotc on this laptop with an integrated gpu. Game runs well enough otherwise - low frames don't hurt turn based games.

Whoever mentioned Ronar earlier, thanks: his play by play series is good watching.