Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Personally, I'm excited for LW2, with the caveat that I will wait a while until people identify the most tedious bullshit aspects of it, and then I will alter the mod files to remove them. (I already know I'll be tightening the "dodge band" to like 2%.) I loved LW, but a version of it where the air game was much gentler, the arc thrower wasn't totally crippled, and things weren't quite so ludicrously expensive.

Iron Rose (I think? it's been a while) shared a meta-mod that took out a lot of the worst points for LW1 back in the LP thread of that mod, so if you like the sound of the new classes and such but are put off by the masochism, you can probably dig it up. And if no one else beats me to it, I'll eventually share a custom mod file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Had a little glitch where a stun lancer died of burning, then the roof he was on collapsed, and the period where the game applies physics to corpses ended before he hit the ground, leaving him floating in the air for the rest of the mission.

So long, ballet lancer. May your dance life go better than your soldier life.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Tried watching a little of Beaglerush playing his bizarro masochist mod. In his third mission, the first with the Lost, he's apparently got a graphical mod that makes them be Lost versions of all kinds of different civilians. Anyone know what that is? I want rabid clowns and little girls to come after my soldiers.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Thanks! Looks like it's more than cosmetics, but I'll see if I can mess with the .ini files to just take the looks.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Do we have a post that's a good list of photobooth poses/backgrounds/misc dumb trash mods? I need my propaganda posters to get even sillier.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

PantsBandit posted:

Did WotC break the long war mods? I've been getting errors with leader pack/alien pack. I just cleared and resubbed to all my mods since I hadn't done it since WotC released, figured those are big enough they MUST have been updated...? But I guess not.

Huh I'm googling a bit more and yeah I guess they did give up on supporting those. Didn't they get commissioned to make those mods?

All mods with graphic stuff were broken and needed to be updated. You can probably find WOTC versions of everything though.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I won't pretend they really balance out on a min-maxing level, but Rainmaker (bigger AOE heavy weapons) + a Blaster Launcher will never stop filling my heart with joy.

Just remove that whole building.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Bug Squash posted:

Not even Fireaxis could program the game so crazily that changing the word Crystal to literally anything else in the list of words that missions are named from would cause problems.

That said, Ubisoft could manage it.

Was it XCOM: EU/EW where you could absolutely mod the list of operation name words, but god help you if you changed the total number of entries in those lists?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

ynohtna posted:

Out of idle interest, what's the spec of your MacBook Pro that's capable of running Xcom 2?

Not who you're asking, but I play XCOM2 on a 2017 MacBook. From the system report:

quote:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Doesn't do all the shadows and highest-res textures and stuff, but it looks fine to me and doesn't lag or anything, even with a pile of cosmetic and map mods.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 20, 2020

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Hwurmp posted:

Psi Operatives never use APs so consider saving some of your dumber rookies for psi training.

I love this. “Well, you’re dumb as a box of rocks, so that qualifies you for the job...” checking clipboard “looks like ‘invincible brain wizard’!”

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Coolguye posted:

sometimes he just decides he's over this poo poo and instantly drops that bleedout shot on your favorite gi joe and very abruptly it's less about killing him and more about just breaking even.

He showed up on my first retaliation of a campaign and abruptly ended that run. With Kinetic Shielding and Soul Steal so that he gained health if I missed, and gained health if he hit, and then proceeded to one-shot one of my guys every turn (or at least get them low enough that bleed immediately killed them at turn start) until all five were dead, ending the fight with more HP than he started. It was exceedingly rude.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Mike N Eich posted:

Though I wish the game notified you ahead of time what the consequences of some of you moves are, I did get a laugh out of my squad losing concealment and getting destroyed because I hacked an Advent surveillance tower and gained control of an enemy MEC halfway across the map

Never don't take "Control Random Enemy". The risks pale in comparison to the hilarity.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Velius posted:

Managed to survive long enough at 1 pip from Avatar to do the codex hack then the first avatar facility. Things sort of went swimmingly from there so now I’m at 3 pips of progress total, Berserker Queen dead, and two unlocked facilities + Warlock sanctum open. Just saw my first Andromedon and I imagine gatekeepers are soon to come, but it seems like I’ve got things in hand techwise.

I actually beat a long war campaign right before trying to Ironman WotC, and it’s making the latter feel ridiculously short by comparison. I’ve just unlocked plasma rifles, and it’s looking like I’ll have the final armor tier before my second avatar facility. As much as I think Long War made the campaign too long, I think they have a point in that the base game can be finished in probably 20-30 missions total. It just feels like the tech tree can be rushed so quickly the individual impact of a given tech is meaningless. Maybe I’m just a masochist.

I'm kinda with you, but also I'm definitely a masochist as I played and liked both Long Wars, which is the videogame equivalent of just slamming my head in a door as a hobby.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Holy poo poo, "YOU SHOULD HAVE BELIEVED" is amazing.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Grapplejack posted:

Thanks to the wotc LP I was inspired to do another playthrough and boy, I forgot how much I love poison.

It will never not be funny to end your turn and see like 2-3 dudes immediately ragdoll.

Hell yeah, got a sniper in my character pool nicknamed War Crimes who gets venom rounds and face off, and makes liberal use of both. Gave her a nice biohazard tattoo.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I mean, the ammo is armor piercing. If it pierced flesh it'd be called that, right?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

Started over in Long War again since every time I restart, I learn more :v: went with Cheyenne Mountain this time which probably isnt a great long term one, but being able to get to the steam vents that invariably spawn at the bottom level was real nice.

I've been going over that one terror mission in my head over and over, since Chryssalids dont use cover, does that mean AP grenades will always work against them? Even my troops with the most HP are getting one shot by them, which is severely limiting my options

Replying a few days late, but yeah, AP grenades are a good solution to Chryssalids in LW: you have the mechanics exactly right re: cover, and they tend to bunch up. It can take a few, though, so don't be afraid to load people down with them. Shotguns are also good in the early game. And if you get far enough in to see these promotions, a scout to get the drop on them with a Javelin rocket is usually a pretty solid opener.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

Going to swallow my pride and play Long War on normal mode :negative: I cant even get to beam weapons before every mission becomes a hellscape of floaters and thin men no scoping anyone who gets above corporal.

AP grenades worked fantastically against Chryssalids at least, I also flashed them for good measure which neutered their running distance :v: they still zammed up two civilians who were just hanging out two tiles away but those zombies got mopped up fairly easily.

Honestly, my experience with Long War was that its Normal was considerably harder than Commander in the regular game, and even then I needed to mess with the configuration files to adjust the air game difficulty downward so I could focus on the more interesting tactical stuff.

And whenever you come across a plot (and especially DLC plot) mission, know in advance that it's overtuned to hell and back because the target audience for the mod has it memorized.

Edit: also, while a full LW playthrough is insanely long for an LP, I would totally watch a few highlight missions of you and Grace getting extremely Mad About Long War Bullshit.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I've seen that. I'm pretty sure it's just in the game. And it only seems to happen if you select them for targeting a particular way, although I forget what that way was since it's been a little while since I played. Possibly clicking the icon in the enemy lineup above the commands?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Splorange posted:

Sweater Bradford is the superior Bradford.

Sometimes I just prefer the professional secret organization to the gang of barely functional alcoholics, pulled out of a Halloween party that Xcom2 guerilla ops inevitably spirals into.

Also the body horror implications of EW, you sign up for some pretty radical surgery: "we'll just inject you with this thing that'll make you ejaculate drugs from every pore in your skin when you get exited" to "what do you mean are these amputations necessary? look at that big shiny mech - don't you want to punch little grey men into pulp?"

Yeah, I actually really liked the "how much of our humanity do we have to give up to beat them?" theme that pervades that game.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I think you'll find that the most important mod of all is actually https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135362293

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

binge crotching posted:

lmao, some mod I installed broke the Chosen:

Terrified of the evil Wholename Mixedcase

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Coolguye posted:

i'm in this picture but i kinda like it so it can stay

Somehow, I always knew you had the head of a cat.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah the AI will sometimes flee to regroup with another pod. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like this alerts the joined pod and causes it to deviate from its patrol route to look for your soldiers.

Pretty sure this is right, with the small addendum that if the joined pod was stationary to start with, they won't start moving. Which I find funny, like the ADVENT guys are just... "yeah man, we're supposed to chill here. Enemy incursions sound like a you problem."

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

WOTC adds enough that it's honestly worth playing through the game without and then again with it. You may have already seen it said, but starting with it kinda throws a lot at you at once, so playing a round through vanilla and then kicking up the difficulty and switching to WOTC makes a nice way to ease into it.

Granted this assumes that you like the game enough to play it more than once ever, but as long as you're not slogging through it thinking "god this sucks" I'd just keep WOTC and try it out next time.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Death from Above is super broken in edge cases. On any non-sharpshooter it's just endless In The Zone as long as you're on a roof, and on a sharpshooter with the Chosen rifle it's just as good!

Didn't know Hail of Bullets was locked to 1 action, though! Good to know.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

lol, build five and daisy-chain everyone into cover off of a single tree

e: or four, and off a bulwark SPARK

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Chamale posted:

That makes sense, thanks. They were new recruits, but pulled from the list of available recruits in the armoury.

I'm certainly not starting a new game, Corporal Peterson is a hero and I'm eager to see how her story plays out.

The good news is that the voice options should all be there in the customize menu, so you can at least do it manually for your favorites. Note that there's only so many translations, though: your Japanese soldiers are always just going to speak English.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

Long War 1: how the hell do I make my Rocketeers stop turning 90 degrees and murdering their squad mates? I swear every time I need them to shoot more than ten feet away, they have over four tiles of drift

e: should have read the whole thread; already answered. But I don’t think anyone explained the precise scatter so it’s not a total repeat if you’re curious.

It’s been a while but what I remember is that rocketeer aim matters (120 = no scatter at all) unlike regular XCOM:EW, and there’s a huge penalty for moving before firing the rocket, plus a mild one for range. The scatter the game gives you is “there’s a 90% chance of the rocket landing at any random point in this radius from the point you click” so if you proc the unlucky 10% it can be even further off than that.

Other than that it’s Long War so you know, the game hates you and everything is terrible all the time. Rank the rocketeers up, collect aim bonuses from rank-ups, and eventually you’ll be sniping with rockets at the highest ranks. Though good luck getting the items needed to build a blaster-launcher!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Torchlighter posted:

That being said, with mods SAPRKs can becomne exactly the type of shitkickers you want them to be.

The crucial SPARK mod for me was the one that let me spend ability points on them like normal soldiers. I REFUSE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN FIST OR BIGGER EXPLOSIONS

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

It kinda does install itself twice. More accurately, WOTC runs on an improved engine with differently-compressed assets (hence like every mod breaking), so there's honestly very little reuse of anything between the two (all I can think of is the voice lines; old voice pack mods still work), which means that in effect, yes, you have two copies of XCOM 2 on your hard drive.

Vengarr posted:

I believe Vanilla+WOTC is 70-ish gigs altogether. Sans mods, of course.

That's the upshot regardless of the reason, though. I checked my Steam install confirmed the number.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

OzFactor posted:

I’m assuming there’s nothing I can do about this? Other than committing to only playing XCOM for a while...

Not that I know of, no. But there's a chance that if you search your choice of OS you may find some weird trick to only install one, or even a list of what things can just straight-up delete in the file manager without disturbing the operation of WOTC. I've never looked for such a thing, so I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't had the same problem and posted about it somewhere.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

XCOM Rule: only the absolute dumbest idiots on the force are permitted to become invincible psychic space wizards.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

brakeless posted:

I just got around to playing Chimera squad. Are you supposed to hold off on the final investigation missions? I picked sacred coil first and did all the plot missions as soon as they popped up. Went for the final mission too immediately and the difficulity went from "challenging but fair" to "lmao what the gently caress is going on" in the final room.

Yeah, seems like you're intended to delay all the plot missions as much as you can to level up on the little random missions. Plus also Sacred Coil has a reputation as being the most "lmao what the gently caress is going on" final mission to have as your first faction finale.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Does anyone know which cosmetic mods Beagle uses in his playthroughs? I'm a sucker for the tacti-cool stuff

He's made collections on Steam! Don't know how updated they are (were? Has he played recently?) but his page is here: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Beaglerush/myworkshopfiles/?section=collections&appid=268500

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Torchlighter posted:

He literally just started a new Operators vs Aliens on stream like 2 days ago! So I'm guessing it's up to date.

oh, I only looked at his Youtube channel, so maybe it's just that he doesn't use that so much anymore. Where does he stream, Twitch?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

If I remember correctly , banish and rapid fire proc fully, firing all shots before planeswalker or any other "respond to hit" action (e.g. codex splitting) occurs.

Also, if you have plasma weapons and a solid plan to exploit their weakness, none of the chosen fights in their stronghold are that bad, even at higher difficulty levels. If you can't kill The Rectangle in one revive cycle though, things can start to get ugly as they have back up and you get worn down. So it can be best to let them live an extra turn if it means you can finish them in one action on the next and have 5/6 people able to focus their entire turn on The Rectangle.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

OzFactor posted:

Random other question: is there any way to bypass a Priest's Sustain? I hate that they get a full set of moves after coming out of it in the next turn. I guess maybe that's another Overwatch use case.

One edge case that I think counters Sustain is the skulljack. If you Skullmine them I'm pretty sure it's instant total death. But all death by damage points still triggers it.

Damage over time effects seem inconsistent on whether they process before or after the end of the stasis; sometimes they wake up and die, sometimes it pops "Immune" and then they wake up. If there's a way to control that I haven't spotted it. :shrug:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I always wondered what the deal with that achievement was. Who had it to start with? Are they just playing “how many degrees of XCOM?” to connect back to the devs themselves or whoever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

edit: its been a while since i played xcom, are the chosen meant to appear in every single loving mission?

No, unless you've got the Wild Hunt (I think that's the name?) dark event going that ramps up the frequency of appearance a lot.