Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Hey, never played XCOM before but I started Enemy Within the other day and it's really good.

I was wondering, are there laser upgrades for the weapons besides the assault rifle/pistol? I don't see an option for them in Engineering. Also I haven't really touched gene mods or cybernetics despite building the facilities, how should I go about using them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

monster on a stick posted:

There should be additional research projects to get other laser weapons - Precision gives you the sniper rifle, Heavy Lasers gives you the laser cannon, etc. There's a tech tree diagram here (with spoilers for techs/enemies/etc. you haven't seen yet): http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/xcom/images/7/72/Xcom-enemy-unknown-2012-tech-tree-research-chart.png/revision/latest?cb=20121026045427

I think most people think MECs are stronger than gene mods. In general aim progression goes down once you chop off someone's limbs, but Heavies don't get much aim progression so they are safe to MEC at low levels. Everyone else you can wait. JadeStar has his Commander's Guide LP that goes on about the different skills and the pros/cons on the skills: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607006&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1. That said gene mods are still pretty darn good if you have a sniper or something that you don't want to chop up.

Thanks, I appreciate it. For some reason I was thinking Heavy and Precision Lasers were for the interceptors.

I had heard mecs weren't really worth it but I'll go ahead and slot a Squaddie Heavy in there

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

What gene mods are best used on what class/build in EW?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I just assumed Mimetic Skin wouldn't stack with Low Profile cause holy poo poo

Also I just had my Mec Trooper punch a Mectoid and then it exploded. GOTY

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I just got the Titan Armor in EW and holy poo poo. I haven't even taken it out on a mission yet it just looks incredible.

Also, I had a few questions:

-I know that there's a specific research project that triggers the endgame, so I've held off on interrogating the outsider crystal. Is that the project that triggers it?

-Do units cloaked by Mimetic Skin activate enemy pods? I haven't had a chance to figure it out cause the only soldiers I've put it on have been Snipers.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I beat Enemy Within for the first time, normal difficulty, and honestly the first thing I wanna do is jump back in with a new campaign. Does anyone have any recommendations for second wave options? Definitely going with Training Roulette, though I'm not sure if I want to combine it with Not Created Equally/Hidden Potential.

I actually had a question about New Economy specifically: is the total amount of possible funding you'd receive the same as a normal game? Or is it possible for the entire council to lowball you?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Had a pretty good mission where the Chosen Assassin managed to warp herself into a small section of the map that otherwise could not be entered or exited. At least not without a grappling hook and neither of us had one. So it basically just devolved into waiting for her to uncloak long enough for me to shoot her

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Hopefully you haven’t already bought it on Switch, cause that version of the game has a pretty bad bug where Squadsight, the Sniper class’ core feature, just straight up doesn’t work.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

You know, when I asked for XCOM spinoffs of other franchises, I was hoping for something a bit more suited to XCOM’s gameplay like Resident Evil or maybe Metal Gear

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

This exact situation has happened to me twice, minus the Lost.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I can't remember the last time I used an unmodded Spark, but even vanilla ones are excellent to deploy against the Warlock because all he can do is shoot them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

That happens at least once a playthrough for me. Unfortunately never with the Assassin, just with the other other two who are actually threatening from a distance