Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm getting pumped for the PS4 port at the end of September, so I've been playing the 360 version of Enemy Within. I am so hyped, even if I'm currently sucking at the Ironman after a couple of years off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Deuce posted:

Beagle streaming Long War again prompted me to try another campaign. July terror mission, move to cover, overwatch. First enemy turn:

:gonk:

:rip:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jadebullet posted:

Well, I finally got around to playing XCOM 2. I was a little rusty so I started with the tutorial enabled. Well, I got to the first mission, was a bit reckless due to the time limit, and one of my team got killed. This caused another team member to freak the hell out, climb on top of the truck, and grenade himself, and the rest of the team, completely wiping the mission.

That was definitely unexpected.

Welcome to XCOM

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I suck at XCOM :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I am very bad at XCOM 2, I need advice on how to not suck. I'm on the PS4.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I didn't know flashbangs could break mind control :aaa:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Astrochicken posted:

I bought the game on ps4 a few days ago. Super good, best game ever, etc.

To add to the bug list someone else has posted, the worst I've encountered are 2. not being able to take control of the VIP on a "rescue this VIP" mission (nothing fixed this)

I've found that I have to save and exit, then send someone else into the VIP's van down by the river after the reload

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

babypolis posted:

Well it will take me around 20 days to get to the next site, so thats pretty bad.

Other blacksite is so far too. What else can I do to reduce the counter?

Start a new game

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Whenever I've enabled zip mode it just seems so jarring, and I have to turn it back off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bakalakadaka posted:

My soldiers only get customization when they've earned a nickname :colbert:

:yossame:

I learned that after spending hours customizing my rookies only to have them get waxed on turn 2.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I hope there's morally questionable genetic engineering this time around.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Full Training Roulette now!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

Training Roulette with the randomized stats for soldiers modifier was my favorite way to play EW, I hope some of those options come back.

:same:

I was very disappointed that I was unable to turn those things on in XCOM 2. I figure it fits the meta of a rag-tag team of rebels perfectly

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alkydere posted:

They did at least include a hidden skill so you have uniqueness built into the game. I think it's because far more of the skills were too linked to the soldier's various equipment to make a good Training Roulette. The Ranger tree would have 1/2 being nearly entirely fixed sword skills, the other 1/2 being LOLrandom.

Yeah, but that requires the Advanced Warfare Center being operational at the time you hit the level of said hidden skill. It would probably have to be padded with new skills for sure

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The most important question is will there be additional space Barbie options?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bENBYSucQ

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do have to wonder if that person in the "stasis suit" from the trailer is Vhalen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neon Knight posted:

Maybe lost units are actually several lost clumped together as a swarm? One health bar for a group of five or more and have some drop as the pack loses health?

My speculation: The lost are a feral set, so it makes sense that they're probably just 2 HP. Easy to kill a single Lost, but as an infinitely spawning swarm, it could definitely turn the tide of a mission fast. In short, explosives.

EDIT:
Oh, Headshot. Meh, who knows, maybe there are missions with NPC factions that you can give a general orders to

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 12, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

I hope they add soldier romance options

They're not Bioware

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Andre Banzai posted:

What the hell is this, the Ethereals have summoned a black metal naavi force? These "chosen" look so freaking generic, holy poo poo.

Meh, I'm ok with that if they're fun to fight

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
"Man these ADVENT soldiers look terrible, they're just people in black armor" :jerkbag:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
"how about those Sectoids, they just ripped off Greys"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Andre Banzai posted:

I'm gonna go with this description here. They're alien-human hybrids, ok. I was kinda thinking they were some kind of generic alien race the Ethereals had summoned and I felt that was kinda lame. Anyway, could be worse I guess. I dunno, feels a bit too "starcrafty" and generic, too "badass vanilla villain".

I love Greys btw. I know everyone's used to them as they've become a staple of the alien mythology, but I just think Greys look awesome. Menacing, mysterious, callous, they've got it all. And the Ethereals are pretty awesome too, actually. Like a taller, more horrendous Grey.

The Chosen are just the bland type of generic alien. Black metal naavi. But ok, the expansion seems to have cool features, I'm curious.

My point is, it seems like you guys are already starting to get nit-picky about one cosmetic element in a game that is full of sci-fi tropes already

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dongicus posted:

I absolutely love the design of Archons! They look straight out of Bayonetta.

The sad thing is, it took me way to long to figure out that they were the evolution of the floaters from EU/EW :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

... So no one ever loses anyone on easy? The gently caress am I doing wrong. I always put people in cover and yet every so often someone misses a shot they should have taken and then get killed.

Have you tried getting Asperger's? I've found that people who are good at video games contracted it some time (I have never won an XCOM 2 campaign)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

oh loving hell I'm dumb

They did a bad job making it apparent. Shen comments on them being a cosmetic upgrade from EU/EW, but otherwise it's up to you to figure it out, and they don't really act, look, or sound like floaters

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Did you know that Sectoids will use a psychic ability more often than they will straight up shoot at you, especially if they're the last enemy alive? A sectoid raising a psi zombie is effectively them wasting a turn.

gently caress that, every time I expect them to raise a zombie they just up and blast someone with plasma causing someone else to panic.

The worst panics are when I'm at the loving evac zone, and one more turn and they get to go home, then they start crying about it and either get captured or killed because I'm out of time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

marshmallow creep posted:

But...they float. I thought it was the most obvious thing, which is they were upgraded floaters.

I would like to see more of the interim models, though. What did they field between the floater and the archon? Why did they scrap it? A mission that takes you to a scrapped alien R&D factory and you fight alpha and beta models of the regular enemies that are all hosed up like how you fight early MECs during Julian's mission would be cool.

So do seekers, and drones, and cyberdisks.

Mutons and Crysallids look like the previous versions, and Sectoids look similar enough, that if they weren't called Sectoids you could probably figure it out. Archons look nothing like floaters, and aren't called floaters, so it's like trying to figure out that snake tits were thin men without Tygan telling you that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cythereal posted:

Shen also implicitly refers to archons as improved floaters when you first encounter them, talking about how the aliens cleaned up the design from the biomechanical horrors of the invasion.

She doesn't say floaters, just that the design was cleaned up, leaving it open to interpretation of what they cleaned up the design of.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Psi Zombies aren't completely worthless, they still count as a kill. I like to shoot them when I know that I can pop the sectoid just for that extra experience.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alkydere posted:

All of the Spark lines, Julian or not, are amazing. Julian's sarcasm and Spark-001's unfailing politeness. "I apologize for your untimely demise" instantly became a favorite line of mine.

This expansion better bring more official SPARK voicepacks.

:agreed:

Hell, I'd be happy with just a couple female voice packs for sparks, and maybe an R2-D2 style beep-boops voice pack

Eraflure posted:

I'm just in it for the gameplay, killing stupid characters is a bonus.

Yeah, this is me. I treat XCOM like a very pretty board game, because that's how it runs, the way things look and sound just add to the atmosphere. I'm pretty sure I could have a similar amount of fun rolling dice around a table with some vaguely sectoid looking pieces of plastic (yes I know there is an XCOM:EU board Game)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Honestly if you feel so strongly about how bad this expansion is, you should toxx yourself, your wining is getting annoying as gently caress.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

Julian was great. I especially liked how he started to dunk on Bradford just to be an rear end.

Bradford needs to shut the gently caress up at times. Yes, I'm aware that the Andromedon just took out the datavault with it, I don't need you reminding me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm hoping that one of the different types of panic means that they actually evac after screaming "EVAC! WE NEED EMERGENCY EVAC! NOW DAMMIT NOW!" instead of just hunkering down in the evac zone as the interceptors force Firebrand to leave.

Also, I'm pretty pumped for quirks for some reason.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

It is. The bond is left open for interpretation according to Jake but can form between any soldiers.

Yeah, sounds like they're becoming "war buddies" no matter who it is. Hopefully the Sparks count too

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

'Hero units' are literally just a different class of soldier that levels differently from your dudes. They aren't unique.

Not unique as a whole, but it sounds like they're going to be customizable enough to be unique to your individual campaign. Really the way an XCOM Hero unit should be.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bholder posted:

What's with everyone hating fun?

Autism

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Speaking of voice packs, hopefully there's more non-English speakers this time :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Andre Banzai posted:

Go back and read how I think the features of the expansion are really cool, you big pile of walking bullshit.

SHUT UP!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Internet Kraken posted:

:derp: I'M LOSING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION :derp:

This isn't right! THIS ISN'T RIGHT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I hope they do english voices with stereotypical accents.

Good enough for me!