Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

leftist heap posted:

when i worked in consulting i did my best to convince clients to just not have reports. anything but loving reports. print the goddamn page out from chrome. shoot excel files at one another whatever just no reports.

Most of what I do is pumping out 3000+ reports every week for a shitload of healthcare financials. It's a big party and a real good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i just found that tons of people took for granted they needed reporting without being able to articulate why and if you drilled into their legit use cases they really really didn't need them. it's a lot of work and money to set up legit reporting infrastructure for a client when all they really want is like, a CSV file of some search results.

government clients are the most horribly broken people when it comes to software. they're so trained on garbage that they have certain things that they're convinced they need just because that's what they've always had. i can't count how many times people asked for a "Back" link on a page and you say "well... just use the back button on the browser, that's kind of what it's there for" but for years they've been using web pages that horribly gently caress up the back button so they've just been trained to think that it doesn't work.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
tbh I'm ok with expensive make work at companies because inefficiency is why the middle class even exists at this point

Apr 7, 2003

Every banner ad on this site is "you're a gross waste of flesh but give me money and I'll fix you." the gently caress

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

Every banner ad on this site is "you're a gross waste of flesh but give me money and I'll fix you." the gently caress

targeted advertising imho :xd:

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

leftist heap posted:

when i worked in consulting i did my best to convince clients to just not have reports. anything but loving reports. print the goddamn page out from chrome. shoot excel files at one another whatever just no reports.

as a consultant I really _feel_ you on this.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

crystal reports is a great piece of software

look how wrong you are

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

leftist heap posted:

all clients are the most horribly broken people when it comes to software.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Migishu posted:

look how wrong you are

look i was kind of being sarcastic but at the same time it sure the gently caress beats writing sql by hand

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cws:

quote:

OKAY. THERE IS A STORM COMING. ITS GOING TO HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS
FOR MANY. SNOW IN EXCESS OF A FOOT. CONSIDERABLY BLOWING AND
DRIFTING. BLIZZARD/NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. YOU WILL HEAR
A LOT ABOUT THE STORM FROM NOW UNTIL IT MOVES IN...AND RIGHTLY SO.
BUT THERE REMAINS A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY YET IN TRACK OF THE STORM
AND ITS OVERALL EVOLUTION. CONFIDENCE IS LOW IN THESE AREAS.
CONFIDENCE HIGHER IN ITS SNOW/WIND POTENTIAL. ANTICIPATE SOME
CHANGES TO THE FORECAST AS TUE APPROACHES AND TRENDS BECOME CLEARER.
PREPARE FOR THE WORST...BE THANKFUL IF THE TRACK SHIFTS. BUT DON/T
UNDER ESTIMATE WHAT THE STORM COULD DO.

Apr 7, 2003

Al! posted:

look i was kind of being sarcastic but at the same time it sure the gently caress beats writing sql by hand

I just end up doing that by hand anyway

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

resident bitcoin thread enthusiast FCKGW took that picture

the tie is my fav part

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

RIP

Apr 7, 2003

Why 1974 owned

who gives a gently caress if the car fits or not, just close the garage door as far as you can and go get dinner.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
why 2016 owns

not as many boats on the roads these days and greedy cocksuckers can't figure out how to make insane profits off of oil

lololololol

goodbye russia economy

eat all the dicks putin

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

syscall girl posted:

why 2016 owns

not as many boats on the roads these days and greedy cocksuckers can't figure out how to make insane profits off of oil

out with boats in with SUVs and coal rollers

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

out with boats in with SUVs and coal rollers

that's why i said 'not so many'

back in the 70s everything was bad and all that lead made people stupid and violent

not like these days :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's still plenty of lead to get rid of, we just feed it to poor black people

Apr 7, 2003

syscall girl posted:

why 2016 owns

lololololol

goodbye russia economy

eat all the dicks putin

Yeah, I also can't wait for Russia to run out of places to make money so that they're forced into expansive militancy again. What a triumph for us.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i know a lot about these things.. foreign policy is a lot like being a computer janitor becaus

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

bump_fn posted:

i know a lot about these things.. foreign policy is a lot like being a computer janitor becaus

I have won AWARDS in POLITICAL SCIENCE and frankly I don't know what the gently caress Russia is going to do

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Al! posted:

I have won AWARDS in POLITICAL SCIENCE and frankly I don't know what the gently caress Russia is going to do

I assume all the smart oligarchs have been investing in foreign real estate and so can bail

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I wonder if the Russian ruling class still speaks French

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

dinner: strip steak, grilled broccoli, baked potato

I like steak sauce even with a good piece of steak so here's my recipe, it's basically a mix of off the shelf condiments:

1 pt Worcestershire sauce
1 pt beaver sweet hot mustard
1 pt Tapatio or other mildish hot sauce

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

dinner: strip steak, grilled broccoli, baked potato

I like steak sauce even with a good piece of steak so here's my recipe, it's basically a mix of off the shelf condiments:

1 pt Worcestershire sauce
1 pt beaver sweet hot mustard

tapatio is garbage hth

there's literally no point to either buying it or applying it to food

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's good on cold pizza and also cheap corner-shop tacos

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
tho tbf my opinions might be a lil off since hoverwife demanded that i make use of the ~*==molecular gastronomy==*~ kit i got for xmas to make her these weird boozy-caviar gin & tonics and surprise surprise the boozy caviar came out as goo so we've just been drinkin basically straight gin w/ a weird texture

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh no, you're not going to get me into a hot sauce argument

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
like if you loosely chewed up a buncha blue curacao and tonic and jello and then spit it into a cocktail glass w/ gin

ugh chemistry is the dumbest thing ever when performed by chefs

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Al! posted:

e: nope

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

frankly my preferred hot sauce brand is graces hot pepper sauce but it's expensive to get over here in any quantity, and that bottle is cheap and never runs out

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tho tbf my opinions might be a lil off since hoverwife demanded that i make use of the ~*==molecular gastronomy==*~ kit i got for xmas to make her these weird boozy-caviar gin & tonics and surprise surprise the boozy caviar came out as goo so we've just been drinkin basically straight gin w/ a weird texture

lmao I 'm so excited for the divorce thread.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

there were supposed to be sparkles around preferred hot sauce brand

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't post about my ejaculate

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
and yes for those who're interested it was:

- sodium alginate + tonic + blue curacao mixed into a bowl

- calcium lactate and water mixed into a bath

- apply the blue poo poo in drippy drips to the calcium lactate bath to create blue tonic beads (lol yea right)

- apply caviar to short glass of gin and enjoy

so yea good luck w/ that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

lmao I 'm so excited for the divorce thread.

i can understand this sentiment but unfortunately for your schadenfreude divorce is extremely uncommon when one or both parties have attained higher education

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i can understand this sentiment but unfortunately for your schadenfreude divorce is extremely uncommon when one or both parties have attained higher education

Sharing details about your marriage on social media is a key pathology towards divorce.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
idk based on my fb friends' posting personas it looks like it's best for makin chicks pregnat out of wedlock

or recovering from crippling substance abuse

y'know, whichever

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I've found the key to a good marriage is to actually be in love with your spouse myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

which is why the boomers were so bad at it because they are for the most part only capable of loving themselves

• Locked thread