Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
As much as you might recommend me a nice neat Honda Civic E30 or a Saturn Shitbody Miata(I dunno), I really don't want any of those. I want something that is a bad decision that I can drive like a madman and swing understeer around corners, because I know for a fact that the next 20+ years of my life is gonna be a miserable experience of marriage, dealing with it, and loving about with silly cars whose handling I am going to hate and am going to wish was better just for the sake of getting around a corner at 60+mph. I know what I am getting into, because I expect having a silly car project for the rest of my life. Because if I accepted anything else, I'd be selling myself short. I know that I can handle getting a solid car up and running around spring time, and if any of you have any doubts as to that, shove it up your drat arse.

~sperglord firecock, 2015~

I am trying the "project" thread thing again, although calling this a project is a stretch. Basically I just want to journal my adventures this year working on these cars: a 2004 Accord automatic mom-mobile that the boss drives, and my 2007 Civic Si sedan, (FA5). Both cars are based on the K-series engine platform, which is nice because they share a shitload of parts and basically never break.

The FA5 will be the primary benefactor of parts and affection, as the Accord is a beige driving appliance that I love because I never have to fix it. I also have a friend with an AP1 S2000 and we may slap some bolt on parts/increase it's JDM-as-gently caress-ness.

The FA5 runs pretty well. The engine is lively and the trans is still in pretty good shape, synchros aren't too grouchy (a common failure point on these cars). The suspension is tired and the paint has some bad damage in spots, and the car has a few dings and dents.I recently test drove a bunch of new cars and just decided to keep the FA5, it's too good to replace and deserves more love than I have been able to give it up til' now. I am in better shape financially and actually have some spare money to improve this car. Plus: VTEC, yo!

It's winter, so crusty snow tires+steelies.

The build philosophy is to keep the car daily driver/winter capable, but also build it with the idea of one day occasionally tracking it. I am more concerned with function, so aesthetic improvements will be minimal at first. Removing understeer and improving throttle response are two key areas to address. This platform is surprisingly good on a track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgIiD8NkuAU

With that in mind, I tried to prioritize the parts I need to OVERNIGHT FROM JAPAN (or rockauto more likely). Top of this list is highest priority.Bold is ordered, strike through means installed/done.

coolant flush
brake fluid flush
valve adjustment
valve cover gasket
Koni orange (str.t) struts + hats
Tein S-tech springs (1.3 inch drop)
Front LCA's with poly bushings
Front camber bolts
Rear camber arms

alignment
Address A/C issues
Clay bar/dent repair
replace shifter cables with fancier ones that don't bind
Wrap or replace hood, which has very badly damaged paint
09' front end conversion (bumper cover)
Hondata flashpro (tuning dongle)
Skunk2 alpha header
firmer engine mounts (mostly to keep my new header from getting pwnt by the firewall)
Some sort of exhaust, not sure what yet
Some sort of double-din head unit with bluetooth/iphone integration
Thicker rear swaybar

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Looking forward to this thread. I love K series cars of all stripes. Personal faves were an accord with a 6 speed, and an Element with either a 5 or 6 speed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cool thread bro.

I would love to get one of these but the cars in my price range have high miles and are beat to poo poo, and the nice ones are priced too steep for me :(

Also lol at a couple of Civics making two S2ks look silly on a track, would have never predicted that poo poo.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
put... put a G-series in it

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

PaintVagrant posted:

The build philosophy is to keep the car daily driver/winter capable, but also build it with the idea of one day occasionally tracking it. I am more concerned with function, so aesthetic improvements will be minimal at first. Removing understeer and improving throttle response are two key areas to address. This platform is surprisingly good on a track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgIiD8NkuAU

quote:

The difference to the other Civic Type Rs is that I got two Rs, it's RR. For that reason it costs 2+ million yen more

:v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

My spirit animal is a tiny Japanese man in green driving leathers

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I still naturally think "Rover" rather than "Honda" when someone talks about K-series engines.

PaintVagrant posted:

My spirit animal is a tiny Japanese man in green driving leathers
Indeed:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

atomicthumbs posted:

put... put a D-series in it

Fixed that for you.

The K-series are fun motors, I'd love to put one in my Fit.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If your peak horsepower:torque isn't 2:1 then I'm clearly not interested

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

I am trying the "project" thread thing again, although calling this a project is a stretch. Basically I just want to journal my adventures this year working on these cars: a 2004 Accord automatic mom-mobile that the boss drives, and my 2007 Civic Si sedan, (FA5). Both cars are based on the K-series engine platform, which is nice because they share a shitload of parts and basically never break.

Emphasis mine, because goddamn my CR-V has been the most stupid-reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I've replaced the HVAC blower and I need to figure out why the tailgate switch doesn't want to work in cold weather, and that's it.

Also, a K-series Accord would feel like a hot rod compared to the CR-V :saddowns:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

PaintVagrant posted:

If your peak horsepower:torque isn't 2:1 then I'm clearly not interested

My F20 knows not what torque is :hfive:

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Call John at http://www.hytechexhaust.com/home.html and have him make you a 4-2-1 header. He also makes a sweet-rear end oil pan baffle with trap doors and a modified oil pump that resists cavitation (the stock pump cavitates at 8200-8600 rpm) and will allow you to spin up to 9500.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

TWSS posted:

Call John at http://www.hytechexhaust.com/home.html and have him make you a 4-2-1 header. He also makes a sweet-rear end oil pan baffle with trap doors and a modified oil pump that resists cavitation (the stock pump cavitates at 8200-8600 rpm) and will allow you to spin up to 9500.

Yeah I'm definitely going to get an upgraded pump/pan before I track the car. Modifying the k20a2 pump seems to be the standard. I'll look that dude up when I'm ready thanks!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

sharkytm posted:

Fixed that for you.

The K-series are fun motors, I'd love to put one in my Fit.

No, 5 > 4.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I havent received any parts or installed anything yet, but here is a video of an 8th gen turbo CTR crushing global time attack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puFC_DPck-8

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

parts parts parts parts parts parts parts tools parts parts parts

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I used to love my 07 Si sedan, it was such a fun car to flog the poo poo out of. I don't really miss it since I upgraded, but it was a great car.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Good luck with that valve tool. Mine always slipped a little when I tightened it up. What a pain, but better than shims.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

more parts!

I might have drunkely ordered two left control arms...oops. Luckily amazons return policy is pretty good.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~stylish spec~

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Nice, dude! I used strut mates in my jalopy when refreshing the suspension, let us know how you like em.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
I had SPC adjustable arms on my Silvia (240sx) and they were trash. The rubber bushings all started to tear and the tension rod adjusters were constantly backing off. Hopefully you have better luck.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

OneStopShop posted:

I had SPC adjustable arms on my Silvia (240sx) and they were trash. The rubber bushings all started to tear and the tension rod adjusters were constantly backing off. Hopefully you have better luck.

Hrm. They seem well regarded in the 8th civic community, but I guess we will see! I am not using them to "stance" the car, I just want to make sure the small drop the springs create (~1.3") doenst cause uneven tire wear because of camber.

Found some 16x7 chinesium alloys on CL, drove 45 minutest to pick them up. $75 including valve stems and lug nuts. Pretty good shape, some scratches and small gouges but WAY better than the Accords current wheels, which have massive salt damage.

I tried to test fit them, and the offset looks like the wheels may stick out a little further than stock. I am going to get a spare 205/55/16 mounted on one and test fit it and see if it works before getting her current tires mounted. If they dont end up working, I can probably end up using them for winter on the FA5, or re-selling them locally.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

What AC issues are you running in to? The fans wont turn on and it might be the blower motor, maybe some sort of transistor or fuse? Or are you having the it has plenty of refrigerant but the AC clutch wont engage so you hardly ever get cold air? Or are you one of the lucky saps like me that actually has both?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fans turn on fine, compressor cycles fine, but after some extended use the compressor just shuts off. It seems heat related, I can run the AC for 30 minutes on a 75 degree day, but on a 90 degree day it dies after about 5 minutes.

Last summer sucked. I had a lovely tire chain shop look at it and they immediately said "new compressor bro" but I dont trust their troubleshooting. Will take it to a real AC shop when I get a chance, my ability to diagnose it ran out pretty fast after checking refridgarant levels and various relays. Everything checked out fine.

The compressor clutch, coil or some sort of temp sensor is the culprit I think. I know AC is one of the problem areas on this gen of civics, its a bummer because I feel like given enough time I could fix almost any other issue but I dont want to crack the AC system :smith:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Did you have any paint issues? I have an 08 in fiji blue and the clear coat was pealing so bad that the dealership repainted the whole car on the house.

The other thing that I am running in to is that literally anything that is rubber on the outside of the car is coming apart. The rubber trim on the outside of my windshield is totally gone, and I cant find the part number to replace it.

To me, with the exception of the AC, the mechanical bits have been rock solid and what you expect when you hear Honda reliability, but all the crap on the outside of the car really put me off on the brand for when it comes time to replace it. Plan is to drive it till the heat death of the universe unless it nickel and dimes me to death until then.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Sounds more like not the right amount of refrigerant although I am not an a/c expert. Get it leak tested, vacuumed, and re-filled.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

My paint issues are with crows footing on the hood and the front bumper cover is utterly demolished by rock chips. Luckily almost all the paint damage is isolated in those areas, so I'm just going to replace both with yard parts or eBay painted parts. I'm not the PO, and he didn't realize Honda would repaint it for free. But it factored into the price for sure, I paid 6k for the car with a set of winter tires+ steelies included.

No rubber issues here, but it's a Michigan car and we get like 70 days of sunshine a year :v: you almost never see faded paint, unless you count rust as fading

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Was a nice day here in the D yesterday. Swapped my all-seasons and stock wheels back on. Debating on renting some spring tensioners to build the front struts, but I have a serious case of the gently caress-its, and the weather is going to go back to chilly this week. By chilly, I mean 30-40 for the highs, which isn't bad but not warm enough for me to work all weekend in it putting all the suspension refresh parts in.

Still looking around on CL for a decent sized compressor to run air tools on. Might just swing on the 180 bux harbor freight 21 gallon deal if I cant find something locally. I want air tools before I start this job.

Also, need to take the control arms to a shop and get them pressed with the new bushings.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 21, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nodoze posted:

My F20 knows not what torque is :hfive:

Torque beast from the factory :radcat:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To be fair, a F20 probably weighs half as much as your entire car.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

60 lb/ft seems fine to me

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive owned two 8th gens and am now ordering parts for my 3rd cmc replacement. :catdrugs: Luckily Honda apparently realize that their oem part is poo poo and released a revised one that supposedly isnt as poo poo.

I have the EM1 (old civic si) conversion in my car, its the old cmc with a braided line. It works OK, but I am still getting some inconistency at the pedal that pumping seems to fix, and I am also not happy with the return bite point, it is too high and I sometimes get a little jerk at the end of the shift.

I am also going to replace my shift cables at some point with Hybrid Racing cables, but they are pretty texa$ so I am procrastinating on the purchase.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dropped my LCAs off at the local machine shop for pressing. Old dudes seemed quizzical/amused that I would want some red poly bushings in the arms. I told them "racecar" and they all nodded sagely

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Respect. Gotta love techs that understand.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think part of their confusion was that it was a Honda :lol:

They dont understand that JDM lyfe. Next time I am there I will show this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoW4ud32MyI

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That certainly revs high!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I seem to remember a 14,000 RPM S2000 floating around somewhere, nothing like peak horsepower at a million rpms. Folks just dont understand.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy crap that thing sounds downright angry. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Just snagged a hasport 70a rear mount. Supposedly pretty essential to not smashing your shiny new header into the firewall when you shift. Better shift feel but probably more NVH. I guess if I was worried about NVH I wouldn't have went poly bushings :v:

• Locked thread