Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How in the gently caress? At least there's a lock washer there I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What the loving gently caress? :psypop:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah I mean the crush washer makes it all better right?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It looks like the bushing of your strut got used as the crush washer. How the gently caress dud they crack that?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
This is a case of stuck bolt leading to heavy application of oxy acetaleyn. The melted the bolt because it was rusted in place and melted the mounting hole as well. Defenitley take it back because that's just hosed on there part. They could have cut the bolt heads off then air hammered that poo poo out. Ask me how I know.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I am definitely taking it back, but there is no way they are ever touching it again.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

The failure is me...I brought my car to an indie to get some struts out (seized in with rust) that I got stuck on. This is what I get, I guess.I just got the car up on stands to take a look at it, work was about a week ago. Been driving it to and from work. Thats one strut mount hole just...bored out? Slag everywhere from I guess drilling or grinding the old bolts/sleeves out. They literally just put a crush washer on and installed the new bolt on top of the slag. I am speechless, they are local and I am going to walk over there and talk to them about it. They arent touching my car ever again, I am getting 100% of my money back and a new trailing arm, at the least. gently caress.

Update on this: called the shop, talked to the shop manager. Was reasonably calm on the phone, I was upset sounding I am sure but I wasnt yelling or anything. He asked me to bring the car in. I brought it in, got there and he wasnt there, was out on a test drive. Spoke with another dude (I think a service writer). He was pretty cool, I showed him the pics and asked him what he thought. You could tell he was appalled but played it close to the chest. He started calling around looking for a new trailing arm for my car. I was pretty calm at this point, wasnt raising my voice.

Shop manager guy came in, sat down and asked me who I was. I explained who I was and why I was here. The service writer asked me to show him the pictures. He looks at them, I explain what I think happened (slag/etc). He crosses his arms with a smug look on his face and says "lets talk about functionality".

"Excuse me? I ask. Do you mean does it drive? Yes it does, at least for now. Until the arm cracks or the strut rips out or something else happens due to the mounting points being so compromised"

And so began a seesaw conversation of him claiming he was going to repair the damage, but had to see it in person. Me explaining the car was 15 feet away in his parking lot. Him saying that they can fix the work but he doesnt let anyone come into his shop and say that work was "shoddy". Me saying "yeah, except this is shoddy".

This escalated repeatedly, him saying "yeah we will sort of fix it but its not our fault and stop saying its bad work" and me saying "youre not apologizing and yes, it is bad work" until we were screaming at each other and he threatened to call the cops on me. Phrases like "give me my loving car back" and "my drunk uncle could do better" may have been said. Also "you'll hear from my lawyer" (lol) The poor service writer, who was a nice guy, was at this point was pulling my car around. I stormed out, asked him to get out of my car. I explained to him that I could not work with that manager rear end in a top hat, but he was cool. He apologized to me for the manager and I nodded and left.

I don't know what to do at this point. I wasn't speaking with the owner, so I guess I could look up that person and call them. I am probably going to call my cc company and try to charge the work back. Write some nasty yelp and google maps reviews I guess. The steam is still coming out of my ears, I have never gone into a profanity laced tirade at someone in a place of business before. I couldn't believe his loving attitude, his smarmy "we will fix it but this is your fault and your attitude is lovely" escalated the situation from a 3 to a straight 10.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reading that got me mad on your behalf, because I've been going through similar levels of piss-poor customer service on something entirely unrelated. gently caress that guy, go scorched loving earth. Charge the shop fees back, go to another shop to get it fixed right, send them a bill.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I'd be loving furious. Absolutely contact the owner and let him know - obviously, being diplomatic in the process. I don't see how that isn't their fault at all.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Update: The service writer called me, he is actually the manager's brother. He profusely apologized over everything and wants to order the LCA and fix it for free. His apology was pretty genuine, and he said his bro was going through some tough poo poo I guess. He wanted me to come in (his bro is gone for the day) and drop the car off so they can see what side LCA is hosed. I told him I would call him back and that I appreciated the gesture.

Ultimately, I am just going to call him, tell him what part I need, and ask for a refund. If I don't get that, then I guess I start bitching on social media platforms. But hopefully I wont have to do that. The thought of them working on my car again, especially with this manager who clearly was not on board with fixing my issue, is hair raising. Also, what happens when I go to pick up the car and have to talk to that dude again? I could legitimately see it getting physical, which is so stupid but probably true.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Where was this? Not that I ever have shops do stuff but it'll cross off a potential place off the list.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Update Part Deux (the last update). The original dude apologized as well and they are refunding me all of the money and giving me a new LCA. They aren't touching the car. So, I took a day off to get back roughly the same amount of money and yell/have serious apology discussions. Weird day man.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Sounds like the service writer had a chat with his brother about how much of an idiot he was being :v:

All things considered that's a pretty decent resolution, though!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

poo poo that it had to go down at all, but at least it seems like the service writer is trying to make it as right as he can.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yep. It was pretty aggravating going through it, but I wasn't about to let that poo poo slide. Might as well replace both trailing arms at this point :getin: I think with those arms replaced, I will have replaced literally every suspension component other than sway bars and their bushings.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Reading that exchange stressed me out, man. Glad you're getting your money back and some new bits though!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Maybe they saw your valve cover and thought you wouldn't notice another monstrosity :duckie:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

Maybe they saw your valve cover and thought you wouldn't notice another monstrosity :duckie:

how dare you

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Astonishing Wang posted:

Didn't realize it was Wrong Opinion Weekend already.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Sometimes a man...well...sometimes a man has needs. Urges. No matter how much he has, he needs more, an unfulfilled primal survival urgency of need..salivating lust for more torqueless revs. I am that man.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I went to a track a couple of weeks back to see a friend of a friend at a race session. One of the races was all Ninjas and I think I need one...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Some real boring rear end poo poo happening today. Oil changes for the Kawai 300, Accord, and Civic. Other civic work is delayed because I am still waiting on the trailing arm from the Dickbutt Shop.

Another cmc adjustment because despite it shifting like butter, from 7-8500 rpm its locking me out. So the hydraulics arent quite putting enough pressure to fully declutch at high rpms, and this car just flat out locks you out in that situation. Otherwise just doodling around commuting and riding the Kawai when the weather is nice.

I could in theory do the valve cover and adjustment today since I am draining the oil, but I dont have a lot of fucks currently about the car. This whole shop incident really took the wind out of my sails a bit, but I am sure I will get my gumption back in a few weeks.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 30, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PaintVagrant posted:

riding the Kawai

So, how's that synth ride?

:lol:

Give it time, you'll get back into working on the car. Having a setback like that always blows.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Congrats, I have a white 2015. hit me up if you have any maintenance questions.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

revmoo posted:

Congrats, I have a white 2015. hit me up if you have any maintenance questions.

Thanks! I am about to change the oil, got it up on my rear stand. Bought the bike at ~900 miles, not sure what the PO has done, but the oil looks pretty dark from the maintenance window. Using the kawasaki 10w40 dino blood and oil this time, but will prob switch to synth for the changes after that.

I am going to use kerosene to clean the chain and lube it with spray chain lube. Other than that, I don't really know what maintenance needs to be done, I can check the coolant I guess. Brakes and levers/etc all seem to be fine, no play or sticking or anything.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Assume the maintenance position

drip drip drip

Official Kawasaki OIl Filter Removal Tool

Its really nice to wrench on something that is so new and has nary a hint of rust.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 30, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have that exact stand.

Also I recommend large channel locks to remove the filter.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

revmoo posted:

I have that exact stand.

Also I recommend large channel locks to remove the filter.

But then you don't drizzle the header with oil that cooks off the next time you start it!

e: the stand seems OK. Its my first bike, first stand. i wasn't wild on the cheese metal hardware, but once assembled and torqued down with some blue loctite everything seems pretty sturdy.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's crap actually, but it works. When it is time for tires (the oem irc are trash), get the DMP front fork stand from motorcycle superstore. It is much nicer and can be adapted to a rear stand.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Took the kawai 300 out for a night ride. My third real ride on it, got on the freeway a little, revved the poo poo out of it. gently caress man,bikes are so fast.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Wait till you upgrade. It feels like a Miata in comparisin to anything bigger. Plenty fast enough though.

My only complaint is off-idle torque. Very weak unless you rev it. Once moving it's fine.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah just getting it rolling sometimes feels like it needs too much throttle input. But slipping the clutch a lot is something new that I'm still wrapping my head around.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just wondering, but why did you take it to a shop for something as (relatively) simple as suspension work?

What happened to you is the main reason I try to do as much of my own work as possible. Been there done that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

They struts were rusted in beyond my ability to remove. I started the job and got stuck on the rears.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Sounds like you need a bigger cheater bar.

I've broken the end off a snap on breaker bar before. And then the cheap one got the bolt loose.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or an electric impact. The $30 corded HF impact is pretty drat powerful, got a 18v cordless now and it's invaluable.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

My HF jmpact cries itself to sleep thinking of those struts. Trust me, they were basically welded in with rust, hence the ham fucks at the shop using an oxy torch on the arms.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Considering wrapping/dipping my car and bike in this scheme. So hard for it, want everything to be neon yellow, black and grey.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Doooo iiiitt :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Groo-VTEC?

(not mine :( )

• Locked thread