Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
:downs: I knew something seemed off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mekilljoydammit posted:

The big thing is that it heats up faster - which sucks less heat out of the exhaust stream - and puts the cat converter closer to the exhaust valves. It's almost entirely a cold startup emissions thing.

Not only this but now OEMs are putting cooling passages in the integrated exhausts manifold to reduce EGTs. This is helpful for turbos especially since with lower temps additional fuel doesn't need to be injected to cool down the exhaust components. Aaaaaaaaand since so many things are turbo'd now it makes sense since you're able to run stoich way more than before and get better fuel economy.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Larrymer posted:

Not only this but now OEMs are putting cooling passages in the integrated exhausts manifold to reduce EGTs. This is helpful for turbos especially since with lower temps additional fuel doesn't need to be injected to cool down the exhaust components. Aaaaaaaaand since so many things are turbo'd now it makes sense since you're able to run stoich way more than before and get better fuel economy.

Makes sense. I was still regularly going to the SAE convention when Honda did the bunghole exhaust, so I think I saw a presentation about it - was before the turbo thing started picking up again to any serious degree.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
They may be onto to something, for a company like Honda that is renowned for their engines to invest so heavily in turbo technology they had to have really done their research. The turbo L engines in the new Civics make pretty good power for 1.5 liters.

quote:

2016 Honda Civic turbo (US & South East Asia)
Engine Type: (DOHC) In-Line 4-Cylinder with Single Scroll MHI TD03 Turbo and Internal Wastegate
Boost Pressure: 16.5 psi
Displacement: 1,496 cc (91.3 cu in) Direct Injection
Bore and Stroke: 73.0 mm x 89.4 mm
Compression: 10.6:1
Power: 174 HP @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 162 lb·ft @ 1700-5500 rpm
Redline: 7000 rpm

And they get 31-35mpg combined depending on the transmission.

Also, hood exit exhaust guy got his car running and put some tractor flappies on the exhaust and wastegate :haw:

https://www.facebook.com/petar.georgiev.125/videos/1132854280102144/

E: and a flyby video. This thing sounds utterly offensive and I love it
https://www.facebook.com/petar.georgiev.125/videos/1135060859881486/

DELETED fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 23, 2016

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I talked to derek from Hondata at PRI last year an apparently they made almost 400hp out of the 1.5l with just ethanol, meth and a tune.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I've heard they've really been able to get some power out of those. There were claims that just hitting it with a FlashPro and being able to beat a 9th gen Si, but Hondata stirred up some controversy because they posted a video of a race between the 2. Their pro driver in the Si is shifting around 6500rpm or so and that drew a lot of ire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t30I6DBdiU

Either way, I don't doubt they're able to get a lot of power from these cars through tuning. Honda keeps their stock tunes very conservative for fuel consumption and emissions purposes. I know the 9th gens will pick up about 20whp just from using FlashPro on a completely stock car.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
bwaaaaaAAAAAAAH

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like a dealer has/will be getting a 2008 SI sedan with right around 45k miles. Gonna give them a call tomorrow and see if they have it yet. Advertised at $13k, figure I'd probably be able to get down to at least $12k which isn't too bad of a deal if I like it.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

fknlo posted:

Looks like a dealer has/will be getting a 2008 SI sedan with right around 45k miles. Gonna give them a call tomorrow and see if they have it yet. Advertised at $13k, figure I'd probably be able to get down to at least $12k which isn't too bad of a deal if I like it.

I think I posted about selling my old one in this very thread that had 69k miles on it. I ended up trading it in. It's this very car.

http://www.machaikdcj.com/used/Honda/2008-Honda-Civic-houston+tx-5d3b0e870a0e0ae854d002e5e5e7e1ca.htm

I know the sales manager, the GM and even what they paid for the car. I tried to hook up some goons! If you are serious I can see what they can do.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr-Spain posted:

I think I posted about selling my old one in this very thread that had 69k miles on it. I ended up trading it in. It's this very car.

http://www.machaikdcj.com/used/Honda/2008-Honda-Civic-houston+tx-5d3b0e870a0e0ae854d002e5e5e7e1ca.htm

I know the sales manager, the GM and even what they paid for the car. I tried to hook up some goons! If you are serious I can see what they can do.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to find something with the lowest mileage I can and this one happened to pop up local. If I like it and they're willing to deal we'll see what happens.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
45k, thats not even broken in yet!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

fknlo posted:

I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to find something with the lowest mileage I can and this one happened to pop up local. If I like it and they're willing to deal we'll see what happens.

Good luck. What color is it?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr-Spain posted:

Good luck. What color is it?

I think it's the dark red that a huge number of them are. I'm ok with that.

PaintVagrant posted:

45k, thats not even broken in yet!

There's one with 11k miles on autotrader right now too.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OP2-nohEOw

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So the dealer doesn't have that car. They said it sold at least 2 weeks ago and they're not sure why it's still on their website. It's still on their site 2 days after telling me this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnX3gsXXYuw

I'll take this instead.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

fknlo posted:

So the dealer doesn't have that car. They said it sold at least 2 weeks ago and they're not sure why it's still on their website. It's still on their site 2 days after telling me this.

I'll take this instead.

Thats a good car. All this K-series talk got me thinking about a K-swap miata, but the conversion kit is about 3500 bux, which is a bit more than I expected. Probably 7k to get a nice ~220 whp k20 miata going, which isnt a bad deal I guess but I was hoping it was cheaper. Might look at other swap options for next spring, I miss wrenching on cars...

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

fknlo posted:

I'll take this instead.

:getin:

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats a good car. All this K-series talk got me thinking about a K-swap miata, but the conversion kit is about 3500 bux, which is a bit more than I expected. Probably 7k to get a nice ~220 whp k20 miata going, which isnt a bad deal I guess but I was hoping it was cheaper. Might look at other swap options for next spring, I miss wrenching on cars...

:getin::getin:

I decided to put a mic on the K&N and was not disappointed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On2QgnAtLEU

E: Smoking Tire has done 2 9th gen One Takes recently, here's the other. Sums up why I love this car perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbRBQdkYFGc

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If I didn't own an s2k I probably would have really liked the 9th gen I drove. I felt like I needed those extra 1000 rpm's though. I won't really know until I find a cleanish 8th gen to drive around a bit. The k20 head on the k24 sounds like something I'd like but isn't something I want to do on what's going to be my DD.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Most people bump their rev limiters up to 7400-7500. You're playing with fire with the Z7 bottom end when you step above 7600, which is where piston speeds start overlapping with a K20 spinning 9k. With a type S oil pump, the Z3 can spin 8k pretty reliably. You may use a little more oil at those speeds and things may wear a bit faster but that seems to be the generally accepted limit. Winding the k20 out to 8k is loads of fun, but making 35lb/ft 2,000rpm sooner definitely makes the K24 a lot more pleasant to drive in traffic.

If you don't already know, one thing you should watch out for with the 8th gens is the 3rd gear synchro. If it's had the synchro replaced then you're good, otherwise you could have problems with it. Either way, both the 8th and 9th gens are incredibly fun DDs.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

DELETED posted:

Most people bump their rev limiters up to 7400-7500. You're playing with fire with the Z7 bottom end when you step above 7600, which is where piston speeds start overlapping with a K20 spinning 9k. With a type S oil pump, the Z3 can spin 8k pretty reliably. You may use a little more oil at those speeds and things may wear a bit faster but that seems to be the generally accepted limit. Winding the k20 out to 8k is loads of fun, but making 35lb/ft 2,000rpm sooner definitely makes the K24 a lot more pleasant to drive in traffic.

If you don't already know, one thing you should watch out for with the 8th gens is the 3rd gear synchro. If it's had the synchro replaced then you're good, otherwise you could have problems with it. Either way, both the 8th and 9th gens are incredibly fun DDs.

my 8th gen had original synchros at 137k and still shifted fine. I spent about 100 hours loving around with clutch hydraulics before ending up with a new OEM slave, hard line, and revised OEM master cylinder, and a SERIOUS bleed. Once I got that poo poo sorted out, it shifted pretty beautifully. The stock hydraulics had the double whammy of a low engagement point that people wouldnt hit, and the point would get even lower as the poo poo plastic internals would wear out. And everyone shifts at 8200 rpm every shift, and a handful of those shifts combined with the low/nonexistant fully disengaged clutch caused synchros to get blown up.

Also, the synchros are fragile junk, so really a couple of poor design decisions led to a lot of junked transmission parts. If I bought a "new" 8th gen, I would just bin everything clutch hydraulic related and go with the brand new setup I mentioned above. Its like buying a used BMW...replace the entire cooling system immediately.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DELETED posted:

An extra 500 rpm's would probably fix some of the "disappointment" of bouncing off the rev limiter way earlier than it felt like I should have been. It probably wouldn't have felt as bad if I'd driven my Golf to the test drive either... The more torque sooner thing was nice, but my schedule doesn't have me sitting in traffic pretty much ever so that's not a huge thing for me. Although since I'm used to tons of torque from the start from my diesel it would probably feel a little bit better as a daily?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
belated double post!

Drove another 9th gen today. This one to be exact. I obviously went in with more realistic expectations than the last time I drove one. I could definitely live with it, especially since I'd almost assuredly be modding it. That one is a bit more money than I want to spend, but they've had it a while and even though they advertise no hassle pricing they said they might be willing to deal a bit to get rid of it. I'm not the hugest fan of the color, but at least it isn't silver. If they came at me with a price in the $19k range I'd actually consider it. There's also a white one with 33k miles locally that's listed for $19k that I'd be interested in if they were willing to deal on it. Might have to call that place since it's like 45 minutes away.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

The 9th gens are somewhat better but still can benefit from from modding the clutch hydraulics. I intend to do the clutch delay valve delete soon which should help immensely with clutch feel, and a nice stiff hose to back it up. I've definitely had a grind here and there when banging gears fast. Not as bad as the 8ths seem to be in that regard, but it does only happen when someone is watching or riding with you :v:

fknlo posted:

belated double post!

Drove another 9th gen today. This one to be exact. I obviously went in with more realistic expectations than the last time I drove one. I could definitely live with it, especially since I'd almost assuredly be modding it. That one is a bit more money than I want to spend, but they've had it a while and even though they advertise no hassle pricing they said they might be willing to deal a bit to get rid of it. I'm not the hugest fan of the color, but at least it isn't silver. If they came at me with a price in the $19k range I'd actually consider it. There's also a white one with 33k miles locally that's listed for $19k that I'd be interested in if they were willing to deal on it. Might have to call that place since it's like 45 minutes away.

The price isn't terrible but I'd definitely try to get them down a bit or negotiate some free services or something. The fact that it hasn't moved helps a lot, I got 1,000 knocked off my 2013 because I watched it sit on their lot for months before I made my move. The one with 33k you could bargain down if the 30k service hasn't been done yet. Then theres the 10th gen Si on the horizon, which may be a bargaining chip as well.

IIRC, there's an update for the head unit on the 2014-2015 models because Pandora and maybe other media apps can cause the unit to shut down until you restart the car. Other than that I can't really think of any major issues or problems off hand. I think they had the paint issues worked out by 2014, I know the 2012-13 models had the paint warranty extended to 8 years for hazing and crows feet on the top surfaces. Plenty of people on the 9th Gen Civics facebook group and the 9thGenCivics forum are near or above 100k with little more than basic maintenance as you would expect from a Civic.

Once you wade through the ricers and stance guys, there's some good information and vendors on the FB group, i don't visit the forums much for no real reason. There's a pretty good aftermarket for these cars, and it seems to be slanted towards the sedans.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
That car with 30k miles I mentioned is getting into a price area I like They've dropped the price around a grand over the past couple of weeks, I wonder how low they'd go? Gonna have to give them a call this upcoming week.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Doooo iiiiiiit

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Found an 8th gen on craigslist with 27k miles listed at $11k. Got excited until I ran the carfax and it showed an airbag deployment :(

That white one is down to under $16k now. Gonna call on it tomorrow. That seems like a crazy good deal and the history check thing on their website shows that it's clean. the only "flag" is that it was either a fleet or lease vehicle. If it was a fleet car I might be a little worried I guess?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I'm guessing it was a lease, I just don't see many companies using an Si as a fleet vehicle. It's probably the high-ish miles for a 2 year old car that bring the price down. Back in February I paid 17.5 for mine with 11k on it so that's a pretty sweet deal

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DELETED posted:

I'm guessing it was a lease, I just don't see many companies using an Si as a fleet vehicle. It's probably the high-ish miles for a 2 year old car that bring the price down. Back in February I paid 17.5 for mine with 11k on it so that's a pretty sweet deal

You got one hell of a deal. Everything I've seen in that mileage range is $20k+ and they don't seem to want to budge on the price. Those are low miles compared to my 2013 Golf which is around 85k. Debating renting a car to drive up and grab it tomorrow morning so I can be back for election shenanigans.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I definitely played my cards on that one. I actually got 1k knocked off just by showing interest and telling the dude I didn't plan on trading in my old DX. Asking price was 18.5 which was already a sweet deal, and I watched the car move from the prized corner spot to middle of the row between a couple of generic econoboxes over the course of several months. I finally decided to move on it after probably 6 or 7 months, and the salesman was visibly excited that someone was interested in it. For some reason the Si just isn't that common around here, which is one of the myriad reasons I chose it.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
VitTuning reverse engineered the 8th and 9th gen ecu and is now able to use Motec engine management which allows for much more tuneability, as well as opens up options for boosting because now your boost isn't limited by the ECU capping the MAF readings. It also means Vit can build crazy franken Ks as well

https://www.facebook.com/vittuned/videos/1825305371014462/
https://www.facebook.com/vittuned/videos/1821428251402174/

:stare:

DELETED fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 15, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

DELETED posted:

VitTuning reverse engineered the 8th and 9th gen ecu and is now able to use Motec engine management which allows for much more tuneability, as well as opens up options for boosting because now your boost isn't limited by the ECU capping the MAF readings. It also means Vit can build crazy franken Ks as well

https://www.facebook.com/vittuned/videos/1825305371014462/
https://www.facebook.com/vittuned/videos/1821428251402174/

:stare:

Jesus :stare:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fuckin 11.3 naturally aspirated, I mean wtf!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally drove an 8th gen! This one to be exact

This particular car was somewhat garbage. Thankfully I wasn't interested in buying it since it's a coupe, I just wanted to drive one. The shifter was bad. Bad enough that I told them to watch who they let drive it because there was a good chance that there would be synchro's all over the road. 1-2 under acceleration didn't want to happen. I had an issue in with a 5-6 shift as well. It also felt really sloppy. The one in my Golf feels better. I think a PO did some terrible poo poo to it. The clutch was really firm yet somehow incredibly spongy. I've never experienced anything quite like it. The seats were surprisingly uncomfortable. They seemed really tight and rock hard. I'm not a huge fatty either. I've read of some complaints about them before, so maybe that's it or maybe there was just something wrong with these. Pretty sure I could get used to them though. It had an intake and a DC Sports fart can that was loving loud. If I get one it's definitely going to have a way quieter exhaust.

I definitely like the K20 more than the K24. I think the 8th gen would have to be the way to go for me if I end up in an SI.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

PaintVagrant posted:

Fuckin 11.3 naturally aspirated, I mean wtf!

With a bigass turbo you can shave 1.5 seconds off of that and become King Turd of poo poo Mountain - The fastest 9th gen

https://www.facebook.com/vittuned/videos/1831653947046271/

Also, a 962hp MR-S with a K swap
https://www.facebook.com/vittuned/videos/1834258383452494/

fknlo posted:

Finally drove an 8th gen! This one to be exact

This particular car was somewhat garbage. Thankfully I wasn't interested in buying it since it's a coupe, I just wanted to drive one. The shifter was bad. Bad enough that I told them to watch who they let drive it because there was a good chance that there would be synchro's all over the road. 1-2 under acceleration didn't want to happen. I had an issue in with a 5-6 shift as well. It also felt really sloppy. The one in my Golf feels better. I think a PO did some terrible poo poo to it. The clutch was really firm yet somehow incredibly spongy. I've never experienced anything quite like it. The seats were surprisingly uncomfortable. They seemed really tight and rock hard. I'm not a huge fatty either. I've read of some complaints about them before, so maybe that's it or maybe there was just something wrong with these. Pretty sure I could get used to them though. It had an intake and a DC Sports fart can that was loving loud. If I get one it's definitely going to have a way quieter exhaust.

I definitely like the K20 more than the K24. I think the 8th gen would have to be the way to go for me if I end up in an SI.

That thing was beat on for sure. Shifter cables and bushings do wear out fairly easily, I think the 8th gens had it worse but many of the aftermarket cables are supposed to be much better

DELETED fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 5, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Every used 8th gen needs new clutch hydraulics/bushings/cables immediately, if they still have the originals.

The real question is if the trans has internal damage yet or not. Mine had a pretty good trans (thankfully) but wouldn't shift over 7k rpm when I got it, until I replaced all the hydraulics. I never got around to doing cables but it was the next step. After all those changes it shifted great.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

PaintVagrant posted:

Every used 8th gen needs new clutch hydraulics/bushings/cables immediately, if they still have the originals.

The real question is if the trans has internal damage yet or not. Mine had a pretty good trans (thankfully) but wouldn't shift over 7k rpm when I got it, until I replaced all the hydraulics. I never got around to doing cables but it was the next step. After all those changes it shifted great.
space engine mounts

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That too. SPACE MOUNTS

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PaintVagrant posted:

That too. SPACE MOUNTS

My favourite ride at Disneyland is Space Mountin'

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My favourite ride at Disneyland is Space Mountin'

:huh:

JDM AF 2500k PIAA fogs installed. Very nice in blowing snow and ground blizzards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Since this seems to be the requisite 8th gen thread, I am getting a whine coming from my engine, which through a bit of research seems to be the idler pully. Any experience in changing it out for a new one? Should I swap the tensioner as well? If I took the pully off, I'd get a new belt because there is no reason not to. The internet makes it seem like its pretty easy.

• Locked thread