Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

What am I looking for, here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

Gonna guess the roof flap being up, like what Truex got busted for.

4 & 14 were busted for having the trackbar too high.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

kidcoelacanth posted:

What arhj said, the roof flap is kicked up.

For those not as savvy on the technical side, it works like this. You have your two rear tires, left rear and right rear. As you're in the gas, the two tires perform different functions. The right rear drives you around the turns. The left rear powers you down the straight. Now, at Daytona, the right rear is of far less concern than most tracks. You still need the left rear to get the drive down the straight, but you can get away with chopping some downforce away from the right rear.

Now, the roof flap. That small kick up, when flowing air and extrapolated the few feet to the rear spoiler, causes the air to miss the spoiler. Air still flows over the driver side of the car and affects the spoiler as normal, but the "passenger" side roof flap deflects the air. This causes some drag but is far less drag overall than if the spoiler caught that same air.

To see this in practice, observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLtqCowON-A <---- Mikey's spoiler "breaks" coming to the white flag. I'll let the last lap speak for itself.

Remove the right rear spoiler from the air, trade some mid corner grip for less drag on the straight.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 15, 2016

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I suppose that could explain why he picked up 2 tenths, when most guys were struggling to pick up 3-5 hundredths of a second from round 1, with the track getting that much warmer.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Why is there a number 55 on the bumper?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

keevo posted:

Why is there a number 55 on the bumper?

Chevy SS

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:doh:

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
That car that nobody ever bought. I'm surprised they haven't changed the body yet to a different, more popular model.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

What arhj said, the roof flap is kicked up.

For those not as savvy on the technical side, it works like this. You have your two rear tires, left rear and right rear. As you're in the gas, the two tires perform different functions. The right rear drives you around the turns. The left rear powers you down the straight. Now, at Daytona, the right rear is of far less concern than most tracks. You still need the left rear to get the drive down the straight, but you can get away with chopping some downforce away from the right rear.

Now, the roof flap. That small kick up, when flowing air and extrapolated the few feet to the rear spoiler, causes the air to miss the spoiler. Air still flows over the driver side of the car and affects the spoiler as normal, but the "passenger" side roof flap deflects the air. This causes some drag but is far less drag overall than if the spoiler caught that same air.

To see this in practice, observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLtqCowON-A <---- Mikey's spoiler "breaks" coming to the white flag. I'll let the last lap speak for itself.

Remove the right rear spoiler from the air, trade some mid corner grip for less drag on the straight.

That is a great explanation, thank you. I figured it was something to do with getting air off of the spoiler, but your description of how the rear tires preform different functions was very helpful.

I had never seen that truck race before, that is insane. What was the outcome?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SpitztheGreat posted:

That is a great explanation, thank you. I figured it was something to do with getting air off of the spoiler, but your description of how the rear tires preform different functions was very helpful.

I had never seen that truck race before, that is insane. What was the outcome?

He was fined, team was fined, CC suspended and the win stood IIRC

that was the most blatant cheat I've seen in 35 years of watching this poo poo

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am surprised the tire changer doesn't accidentally drop the tire on the spoiler every time.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Anyone picking up the new Earnhardt Nation book? I hadn't even heard of it until yesterday and since then I've read some excerpts and it sounds really interesting, specifically the Dale Jr falling out with DEI stuff. I'm also not really well versed in Earnhardt stuff as I became a fan in the mid 2000's, several years after his death. I'll probably pick it up.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

How'd they get his spoiler to break on the last lap though?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

keevo posted:

How'd they get his spoiler to break on the last lap though?

they never said but it was likely gimmicked before the race then triggered with a cable or electronically

it's a perfectly vertical break in a one piece unit, I mean c'mon lol

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Cheating assholes

....Just like Dale would have :911:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

Once it was common for NASCAR to brag about money. Maybe they’re hiding it because it’s much more practical than hiding the winner of the race, it being on TV and all.

Sigh. I sigh a lot. The Greek drama is Tony Stewart. The Greek comedy is everything else.

Only NASCAR could reduce the seating capacity of its most famous track and call it Daytona Rising. Only NASCAR could proclaim its new palace for the 21st Century the World’s First Motorsports Stadium, conveniently dismissing the world’s previous hundred thousand.

http://montedutton.com/blog/2016/02/16/trying-to-reason-with-a-new-season/

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Anyone picking up the new Earnhardt Nation book? I hadn't even heard of it until yesterday and since then I've read some excerpts and it sounds really interesting, specifically the Dale Jr falling out with DEI stuff. I'm also not really well versed in Earnhardt stuff as I became a fan in the mid 2000's, several years after his death. I'll probably pick it up.

I might. I've been reading NASCAR books on and off over the last few years to mixed results. Most of them have been good.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/02/16/ryan-nascar-driver-contracts-cause-consternation-after-charter-system/

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

RTA/NASCAR vs. Drivers' Council would be a really fun grudge match.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CBJSprague24 posted:

RTA/NASCAR vs. Drivers' Council would be a really fun grudge match.
Some of the terms in those quotes from the smarter drivers are purposefully from the collective bargaining arena. Although Kes should have said conditions of employment instead of "terms of their employment change", but they are learning!

I do Labor Relations stuff for a living on the management side, but even I would say they should think about a union, or at least saber rattling to that effect. The Charters have effectively made the money pipeline an unambiguous TV->NASCAR->RTA, with the RTA working in a collective fashion to divvy up revenues. I'm sure they would argue that they are just a "trade advisory group" or some such poo poo, just like the NFL tries to pull, but that poo poo walks and quacks like a duck and the NFL just lost that case in court to the NFLPA. As it stands, they can easily collaborate to push down wages or lock people out (which they already actively do on the crew side).

The teams and NASCAR just split up an $8.2 billion dollar pot of money and left the dudes the fans come to see, who are literally putting their life on the line, wondering how much they are going to get paid THIS WEEKEND. The days of the "ol' Bill France came down with a monkey wrench and busted our union ha ha ha" poo poo are over. Drivers should think long and hard about how they respond, and they should do it together at least.

Also they should hire me cause that would be dope.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Looking forward to the 202_ NASCAR _________ Cup Series Lockout after the PDA and The Association get into a disagreement over a contract. Contemporary!

In the meantime, the command is going to sound awesome this weekend with a Scottish accent, because here comes Gerard Butler. :getin:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Are Trucks tonight?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elephanthead posted:

Are Trucks tonight?

Tomorrow night, today is the 150's at 7pm EST

e- Also, IT'S FUCKIN TIME FOR RACIN TODAY BOYS

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 18, 2016

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Man, everything changed 15 years ago today with Robert Hanssen being arrested

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Please don't make light of the tragic events of February 18th, 2001. Some people still have trouble accepting that Michael Waltrip won a race.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the day Kenny Schrader invented a dance craze that swept the nation

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ever since 2/18/2001, NASCAR fans all over the world have been plagued by DW calling races.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
on this day I celebrate my Lord and personal Savior William Tecumseh Sherman's glorious victory by way of fire over Columbia, South Carolina in general and the South Carolina State House in particular

:sherman:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why is everyone so obsessed with Dr. Dre's 36th birthday?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Elephanthead posted:

Why is everyone so obsessed with Dr. Dre's 36th birthday?
How could we forget?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boomer The Cannon posted:

How could we forget?

Kyle's sponsor said this would happen

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
SRA fastest in 2nd practice :toot:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Time for :siren: AT LEAST IT'S RESTRICTOR PLATE RACING :siren:!

Viewing options here: https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#nascar@irc.synirc.net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RUmqwK3Xdk

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Digital dashes are dumb.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

tater_salad posted:

Digital dashes are dumb.

Does the glass break when they crash?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

anotherblownsave posted:

Does the glass break when they crash?

There's a guy with a kiosk in the pits.
"Hey doods I fix your screen 79 dollers man"

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Great run for Blaney

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Chaos Reigns

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Danica spins because ????

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Favorite part of duels.

Cars crash
4 min later here comes Danica sliding sideways even though she wasn't near anything.

Edit^^^^ drat beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
And Danica spins outta nowhere...

• Locked thread