Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Reducing fields to 40 would've made sense in 2009 or 2010 when you could say "You know what? We're going to take some money from S&Pers.". They had the perfect reason then. Today, it feels like "Aw, CRAP, knew there was something we were going to do and forgot!" with a tinge of FYGM from the RTA.

It's like the Top 35 Rule being kept in place in 2007 and 2008 when virtually every car had major sponsorship and you had Valvoline, CAT, Red Bull, and State Water Heaters routinely missing races because NASCAR was too stupid/arrogant/complacent to do anything with it.

quote:

This was a bad wreck but I'm glad about is The GREAT imtimatador Dale Earnhardt.....

Need to offer some spelling lessons in that Facebook group, Viking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Man, I let their posts speak for themselves. When dudes are posting about how great Bernie would be at the helm of NASCAR, I don't even know what the gently caress.

In modified news, the HBR team just signed a bunch of dudes to run full or part time, chief among them a kid named Max McLaughlin, and his crew chief dad Mike "Magic Shoes" McLaughlin, and another driver named Dave Blaney. So at Eastern States this year we might have Mike McLaughlin, Dave Blaney, Jimmy Horton and Gary Balough, it's like fuckin' 1984 all over again.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'll say this. The Charter system does have a good side, in smaller teams getting a bigger piece of the pie. But that's it.

NASCAR will be modifying the point system in response to smaller fields.

Also, it sounds like NASCAR may have qualifying on Sunday mornings if it's rained out previous days to try and avoid unnecessary DNQs.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 9, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This is a good start, now if we drop the field to 24 cars we have something. With the Chase format it doesn't really matter if you race every race cause NASCAR fun.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm glad this Charter system makes it easier for car owners to recuperate cash by halting all depreciation and technological obsolescence on cars, engines, parts, haulers, specialized tools and race shops.

E: Look at the Ricky Rudd example from the ESPN piece - He makes a million bucks on selling his spot, but still loses his rear end selling his equipment.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 10, 2016

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

I spent far too much time on this.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You done good.

I'll add that the "performance standard" for charter teams adds to the current terrible points system (which is statistically MUCH more harsh on poor finishes than the old points systems) to further make consistent boring 15th places far more desirable than shooting for the moon and getting a few top 5s and a bunch of 30ths for the fringe charter teams.

Cause god knows what NASCAR needs is people taking less chances or doing interesting things and more consistent mediocrity.

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that its a clear statement that the playing field is not level, and they don't want it to be level. Like F1s comically lovely payout structure or when MLB teams blow the softcap. That inherently makes me lose interest in the competition a bit.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 10, 2016

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Thats funny how Rob Kauffman can create this bullshit system and generate millions in income by selling his former MWR charters. Quite literally money out of nothing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fuseshock posted:

Thats funny how Rob Kauffman can create this bullshit system and generate millions in income by selling his former MWR charters. Quite literally money out of nothing.

As shady as poo poo as it seems, Jim Noble suggested he might have lost more than he gains out of this from his investment in MWR.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

This was a good piece. I'm still on the fence about the idea itself being good or bad, but I'm pretty wary about how it's being executed.

CBJSprague24 posted:

As shady as poo poo as it seems, Jim Noble suggested he might have lost more than he gains out of this from his investment in MWR.

Good.

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 10, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The idea is as poo poo as poo poo gets

The only thing worse than aerodynamics in racing is the prospect of team owners getting a guaranteed profit

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bobby Labonte will run the 18 in the NXS race at Daytona, which is pretty cool.

The Wood Brothers seem publicly disappointed about not getting a Charter, but took the high road:

https://twitter.com/woodbrothers21/status/697449277535166464

...while here's what Mike Hillman said (I haven't heard it because the internet where I am sucks right now):

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnasc..._medium=twitter

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

CBJSprague24 posted:

...while here's what Mike Hillman said (I haven't heard it because the internet where I am sucks right now):

He's not very happy. He was really optimistic about his team's future with Cassill, had sponsors, was running better. Now team has "no value". Guy asks him if a team can make it without a charter and he said no.

It wasn't like a "loving gently caress YOU NASCAR :argh:" kind of thing it was more "I've wasted my time and money".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Three sources have this man replacing Smoke for the 500:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If0-l0gZiHc

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Peanut President posted:

He's not very happy. He was really optimistic about his team's future with Cassill, had sponsors, was running better. Now team has "no value". Guy asks him if a team can make it without a charter and he said no.

It wasn't like a "loving gently caress YOU NASCAR :argh:" kind of thing it was more "I've wasted my time and money".

That was actually sad to listen to.

Arnold Layne
Nov 4, 2008

vickers please just walk away, go back on your blood thinners and live your life to its fullest

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Peanut President posted:

I finally heard it. The team had value until the Charter became official. He's got equipment he could sell for money, but thinks that itself is pointless because they're shortening the fields.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

- Thirty-six Charter teams will be assigned a starting position and four Open teams are eligible for starting positions.
- Qualifying results will determine the Open team starting positions assuming the event is run as scheduled
- If qualifying is canceled due to weather, the combined practice speeds determine the four Open teams
- If practice and qualifying are canceled due to weather, Owner points determine the four Open teams (events 1-3 revert to 2015 Owner points)

??????

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 11, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

YO DAWG, I HEARD YOU LIKE RULE CHANGES, SO HERE'S SOME MORE RULE CHANGES TO GO WITH YO RULE CHANGES!

New overtime procedures. Consistently inconsistent from the sound of it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2016/02/11/new-nascar-qualifying-overtime-procedures-daytona/80244862/

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Overtime line I'm fine with if its not going into 3. It closes off what happened at Talladega happening again.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Overtime line is good if they can do it right.

I certainly don't trust them to do it right.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
So if I understand this right, which I might not, the teams with charters get a spot guaranteed each race, eliminating any DNQ problems for them and freezing out any smaller teams that might put together a great machine and qualify since there's only four spots a race for them?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Yeah, I glanced over it when I posted it originally (waiting for an event to start) and had a vague understanding, but it's not a bad idea as long as they don't screw it up in the process.

maffew buildings posted:

So if I understand this right, which I might not, the teams with charters get a spot guaranteed each race, eliminating any DNQ problems for them and freezing out any smaller teams that might put together a great machine and qualify since there's only four spots a race for them?

Yes. Charter cars are locked into races for the next five years as long as they meet "competition standards", while smaller teams, referred to as Open teams, have to compete against each other for the last few spots and are also ineligible for the sharing of the NASCAR pot Charter teams are eligible for.

For more perspective, listen to the Mike Hillman interview posted above.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Welp :( Pray 4 Dogecoin #98

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
32 teams works fine for the NFL so it should work fine for NASCARCASM.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

What's the NASCAR pot that open teams can't share in, is that like the prize money above and beyond the race purse? If two charter teams boogity their engines and are out of standards for a race does that mean two more open teams get a shot or 38 car race? Also, if we all concentrate real hard at the same appointment time will Brian France die a death?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

They should pit 2 teams again eachother in a long straight field where they go in In a straight line and whoever gets to the end fastest wins thst race.. then they can have a bracketed playoff every week where one car/team wins it all
It works for football

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If I was an open team I'd drive like loving Cole Trickle in the races because gently caress NASCAR and gently caress Charter teams.

Oh hey look a part of my car that's still in "good standing" with NASCAR!

*kick*

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

What's the NASCAR pot that open teams can't share in, is that like the prize money above and beyond the race purse?

A bigger share of the money brought in as part of the TV package, among others. The previous distribution was based upon finishing position, but I believe it's now equal among Charter members. That seems to be the only benefit for smaller Charter teams.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's not equal among Charter teams from what I saw, it's still based on finish only it cuts down to 36 from 43 the number of cars sharing it so it goes up marginally. The funny thing about this is when that marginal increase is spread across a 4 team behemoth, and they all finish in the top 20 (never happens!) and a 2 car charter team both finish in the back, well, you can see how fair the distribution gets and how it still favors the big teams.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

maffew buildings posted:

Welp :( Pray 4 Dogecoin #98

The sponsor of that car is currently indicted and facing trial for being a serial rapist.

On top of his fraud.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

The sponsor of that car is currently indicted and facing trial for being a serial rapist.

On top of his fraud.

All the more reason to pray for him during these trying times

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/nateryan/status/698187157039673344

Also:

quote:

WWE Superstar and actor John Cena will serve as the Honorary Pace Car Driver for the 58th annual DAYTONA 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race. Cena will pace the 40-car field to the green flag in a Toyota Camry. Cena, a 15-time WWE World Heavyweight Champion, has been at the forefront of WWE's programming for more than a decade...

:allears:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Is this a bad time to point out that Nick Hogan wanted to be Kyle Petty

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

In honor of the week of change, nascar is now SCREE, Sports Car racing entertainment Empire.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

If they change the name, how will we make jokes about The Association? "National Association of..."

In other news-

https://twitter.com/jim_utter/status/698211288141471744

e- Jenna Fryer says it's over the Charter details.

Expecting some beautifully word-crafted statement next week about "Based upon the merits of their team and the contribution to the sport's long and proud history, NASCAR is proud to award the Wood Brothers a Charter."

e2- Dave Moody is reporting Charter teams will receive larger payouts than Open teams for the same finishing positions. NASCARTEL, indeed.

I haven't even been trying to dump on NASCAR in the last week. Most of the Tweets I see from media people are doing it themselves.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 12, 2016

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
At this point im just going to watch for the crashes

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I've been doing that for years. It's more entertaining. You can't be legitimately entertained by the racing because there is none. The slow self-destruction of the sport into a fiery wreck (cars and business alike) is so much fun to watch.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

I want an open field car to win the pole for the 500 so damned bad.

Too bad it'll almost certainly be Chase Elliott because headlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

In spite of the bullshit, :siren: THERE ARE RACECARS ON TRACK ON FS1 :siren:

I'm gonna hang out in #nascar for this session.

• Locked thread