Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So..uh...how the hell did Rusty survive the 93 crash at Talladega?

Dale Sr. looked like he was shaken up as all hell after it. He had seen something truly horrible. Sadly it didn't seem to convince him to take more safety precautions...

By the way? It looks like the G-W-C predates the 2000's. NASCAR attempted to do something earlier similiar to finish that race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I only support drivers who sell merchandise, sorry

I want an SRA diecast so loving bad.

Will you be running Mid Ohio by chance, SRA?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I watched the Wendell Scott ESPN movie/documentary last night.

Jesus christ...everyone back then was an rear end in a top hat to the guy except for Ned Jarrett.

Also his story was pretty awesome, just a drat shame he never got the chance to race in a good car. :smith:.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

what? you mean shitheels were in NASCAR before today?!

It's just stunning and sad really.

The worst part is them admitting they hosed up and they went:

"oh yeah..uh...here's the winners purse...uh...we can't give you the trophy because Buck Baker has it...also we didn't want you to be seen kissing a white women. Welp. See ya"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1KJsLBZr9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-YXYSQ-jYo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

GUYS FOX SPORTS 1 IS SHOWING "UNTOLD STORIES" FEATURING STERLING MARLIN, COO COO MARLIN AND SMOKEY YUNICK.

ALSO LATER? THE 1993 DAYTONA 500.

GET YOUR ASSES IN THE IRC CHANNEL.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

This segment on the Dodge Daytona V. Ford Talladega V. Plymouth Superbird is amazing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

They're doing a segment on "The Last American Hero" piece done about Junior Johnson.

They show him making moonshine and acting like a badass.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Just turn the volume down a bit, and then just follow twitter/IRC during the race.

After that go to synch tube and watch bad rear end random poo poo that Viking, CBJ and others post.

Repeat as many times as necessary.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

YESSS!!!! Bring back the grid music too!!!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Parmesan Basil posted:

Any of you guys want some old 1/64s of mine. I have a Jeremy Mayfield, a Rusty, a DW #66 and a #45 Kyle Petty. And a #88 Dale Jarrett. I'm moving so I gotta get rid of some poo poo.

any indy stuff?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I got called a sellout by a person claiming to be a "Purdue fan" because I thought Toyota winning the race was cool.

Toyota and Subaru have plants in Lafayette which actually contribute to their local economy. Why people would hate Toyota makes no sense to me.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I love my samsung phone though.

I also wish I could find a good used Toyota or a Honda.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

Samsung is Korean.

Yes.

I was referring to the xenophobic post the guy made. It's completely silly.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

F1 sucks don't talk about it in the SASCAR thread.

Honestly I'd love to see Ford invest back into IndyCar again. I mean they have a relationship with Chip already as he's running their sports car program. It just seems like an easy fit. They're a great part of auto racing history and I'd love to see them involved in all facets of the sport.

also Stewart has run a Ford before. In USAC. He won the Triple Crown with them in '95.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 24, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It's more related to Ford than it would be Indy. I happen to like the Ford brand quite a bit. I'm happy they're doing the Ford GT and running Le Mans again. Love seeing them with Penske and Wood Bros. in Cup.

(Ford GT is also my dream car)

Would love to see them in F1, and IndyCar to complete the circle as it were.

But whatever.. :shrugs:.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 25, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

well I mean yeah ok you can have a narrow definition for a pioneer but it's kinda odd that they'd select Guthrie for an award when literally a dozen women were in the sport ahead of her

My first thought when her name is brought up was her trying to run at Indy. I hope to god I don't sound like an rear end, but I mean I don't really recall reading about much of her stock car racing career aside from that. Her car is in the IMS museum and that's kind of her go to claim to fame (First women to qualify for the Indy 500)

I do know that she raced with Earnhardt Sr. as a teammate IRC, and that Humpy gave her a shot at the World 600 after she couldn't make Indy in '76

quote:

Bump Day - Sunday May 23
The story of the day was Janet Guthrie, who arranged a deal with A. J. Foyt to borrow his #1 entry for practice. Shortly after 10 a.m., Guthrie was in the car shaking it down. Her lap of 180.796 mph was easily her fastest lap of the month. Despite her considerable gains in speed, Guthrie did not end up making an attempt to qualify.
As the afternoon was winding down, the attention shifted to the cars trying to bump their way into the field in the final hour. David Hobbs bumped his way in at 4:55 p.m. Eldon Rasmussen was now on the bubble. Rasmussen survived three attempts, but at 5:59 p.m., Jan Opperman took to the track. Opperman's run of 181.717 mph bumped Rasmussen from the field, and the lineup was set.
After creating a media and fan frenzy, Janet Guthrie left the track without making the field. With the spotlight still on her, she quickly found herself an alternative. Promoter Humpy Wheeler consummated a deal for Guthrie to acquire a car from NASCAR owner Ralph Moody, and within 48 hours, flew her to Charlotte to qualify instead for the World 600.

I kind of agree with Viking in some ways. Though I would welcome her being inducted, it'd be an odd choice considering there's quite a few other women drivers that were way before her.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

good reasoning, we better sell the football teams before anyone finds out

e- reminder that within this "non racing fan area" we have dozens of tracks (which LA doesn't). we get 7-10k people for Eastern States, Syracuse would draw 70k. you would've got 70k at that track consistently just from the race fans outside NYC

I agree with Viking.

NY/NY/CT/PA is stock car/modifieds/dirt track country. There's a legit fanbase there that NASCAR didn't really tap into it's full potential.

(....they really should have saved Trenton as a track, but I digress....). I'm not sure a Daytona clone would have been the way to go. Perhaps a short track would have been better?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

unlike most of the nation, northeast fans can tolerate the cold, it's 50's and sunny here in mid November

also I don't think Indianapolis is dead center in the Northeast megalopolis where a fifth of the US population lives within 200 miles

e- in November the Hudson Valley receives 3.5 inches of rain/snowfall historically, I bet Florida posts more! lol and the average high temp is in the mid 50's

The recent failings of the Brickyard 400 have more to do with NASCAR itself rather than the Indiana race fan.

From 1994 to 2008? They had a hell of a weekend they could sell to race fans. They had USAC race with Trucks and Xfinity over at Lucas Oil. You also had a national series that was a great deal more popular than the hometown IndyCar/CART series and had homegrown talent running in said series.

Then Goodyear happened, and then NASCAR started to oversaturate the market by putting races in nearby Kentucky, and Chicagoland. They're now left with what we're seeing right now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

I would bet there are more in Indiana since it is the only southern state north of the line. Also see the quantity of Indiana NASCAR drivers it is oddly disproportionate.

Wisconsin man.....Michigan too. Wisconsin's short track scene is pretty legendary. Kulwicki? Kenseth? Trickle? Menard?

New England...but that goes without saying. The Northeast is modified crazy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ah yes, TRAC.

I think you're right about preventing a split. What other stock car series are even out there which would be comparable aside from ARCA or whatever ASA's top class is now?

It was entertained briefly (Very...briefly.) pre-IndyCar split.

quote:

Standing under umbrellas in the rain at Talladega one weekend, in an otherwise deserted garage area, one powerful team owner had posed an intriguing question to me privately.

"How much would you pay for NASCAR right now?" he asked, amid rumors that giant corporations such as Rupert Murdoch's NewsCorp, or even Disney, might be interested in buying.

"You mean if I were Murdoch? Oh, $2 billion, $3 billion, I don't know," I said.

"Now then," and here the owner pointed to the haulers of NASCAR's top six or seven teams, "if those rigs were suddenly gone, those teams were out, how much would you pay for NASCAR?"

"Oh," I mused, "about $1.99."

"Exactly," he said, and walked away in the rain.

The point was, without its major teams and stars, NASCAR would be worthless. This came precariously close to the thinking that had started CART.

What had started the NASCAR rumblings, in parallel to the Indy car conflict, were the activities of O. Bruton Smith. A longtime France family rival, Smith was chairman of Speedway Motorsports Inc., a track conglomerate he'd taken to Wall Street as a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange.

The France family, which owned NASCAR outright and controlled International Speedway Corp., another track conglomerate, was watching Smith closely as he gobbled up tracks with built-in NASCAR race dates. He already owned the tracks at Charlotte and Atlanta, bought existing tracks such as Las Vegas and Bristol, and planned to build new ones, his crown jewel-in-progress being Texas Motor Speedway.

Smith was acquiring tracks so fast, and had disagreed with the Frances so much for so long over how NASCAR should be run, that there was much conjecture that he might start a rival stock-car series.

Then Smith, not yet able to get a Cup race scheduled for his yet-to-open Texas track, hinted that he might just run a non-sanctioned or "outlaw" race, after the NASCAR season was over, with an enormous purse.

That got the attention of the NASCAR owners, and that in turn fueled rumblings of a CART-type council of team owners to sell their services to the highest-bidding series.

Amidst all this, Bill France Jr., second czar in the NASCAR dynasty, publicly postured himself as neutral in the Indy car conflict.

http://espn.go.com/racing/columns/story?id=5195237&columnist=hinton_ed&seriesId=1

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I want to live in the dream world where historically, NASCAR races had 90% door handle rubbing racing more than now

Pretty much this, lol.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Doesn't help today Kimi Raikkonen has been linked to go to NASCAR with SHR next year

I don't know.

If I were Kimi's shoes...the better move would be to swipe Juan's seat at Penske (who is likely driving for Porsche in WEC) run IndyCar for 2-3 seasons, and then give Cup a go.

I don't mean that as a slam towards going to Cup or anything. But I think it's better if he uses it as an eventual steppingstone towards running stock cars.

He also has a few more good years in him, and I think he'd be a serious threat to win Indianapolis. He could very easily cross that off his check list and then run Cup/Rally, etc for lulz.

Not to mention? Dude could easily be a Road Course ringer for Roger during those seasons. He could run the glen, sears point, mid ohio, road america, etc. Giving him more seat time to prepare to be actually competitive in Cup versus being mediocre to bad in it.

I'm not saying this as a "DURR INDYCAR" fan. I'm saying this as a Kimi fan. Much rather see him get a few Indy wins before devoting himself to Cup full time. Think that'd be awesome to see.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

is JPM really expected to leave penske?

I'm just guessing.

I think he wants to run the 100th and then pursue other things. I imagine his Indy career was very much based on wanting to feel satisfied about no longer being the "JET DRYER" guy in Cup.

Juan was flirting around Porsche at Lone Star Le Mans last year and that was the buzz.

It would DEFINITELY be a great move for both parties. They get a hell of a driver and he gets a shot at the Triple Crown.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

bigbillystyle posted:

I don't see how Indy is a steppingstone to running stock cars. Its been proven quite a bit over the last few years that doing well in one doesn't translate to doing well in the other. I would watch Kimi in either series though. I thought for sure he was going to lose his ride at Ferrari a couple years ago when they struggled so badly but now that Ferrari is competitive again it seems like Kimi still has it in him to compete with the best in F1 and it would certainly be interesting to see how he would fair in either series. I would definitely watch to see how he does running ovals at the very least if he went to Indy.

It just seems like a much more natural transition in a few ways. I think the opposite would also be true in regards to a Cup driver ever doing F1. When Gordon was contacted to race for BAR Honda back in the day? They pushed for him to run with Kool Green. He balked, and stuck with Cup.

You go to Cup, and you suck? sometimes your ego takes a hit and it doesn't quite recover for a while. If he ran Indy to kind of allow him to transition to running Cup? It'd be a good move in that regard.

I do agree with Wicka though. You're not going to get a former WDC to drive for any team that isn't Penske IMO. That's just fact.

Run IndyCar for 2-3 seasons. Run the Road Courses, Plate Tracks and a few select dates with Roger's team during that time, and then run Cup full time. That'd be my plan for him to be successful in Cup.

If he runs it full time? Yeah that won't end well for him.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 28, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Why does the XFS Series still exist at this point?

Not asking to be an rear end, asking in the most sincere way possible.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

probably because it generates revenue for NASCAR, but that's a wild guess

Yeah.

Just drat. Amazed there's even an audience for it.

Not for stock car racing as a whole because you know..that's fun as hell when done right.

But the XFinity Series in the year of our lord 2016? Pointless to watch.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'd be more intrigued if XFS and Trucks were forced to race at different venues during the week, away from Cup.

We used to have this, and it gave you quite a reason to watch. (Milwaukee Mile, Nazareth, Memphis, Nashville, Heartland Park Topeka, etc).

Now? You're right, it's just an extended cup practice session. No one shows up to watch the thing either so the point of having it share a weekend with cup is very much moot.

I KNOW the reason they do it (TV money that goes directly towards SMI/ISC), but it still makes for a very boring and pointless series to watch on TV.

VikingSkull posted:

I'm all for chopping some of the Truck and Xfinity races off TV. Give the time slot to USAC or WoO

I like this post.

Hell show some K and N races instead or highlight packages of touring car series globally.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

well that's really just a semantic difference, "top series" is kind of arbitrary, after all. lots of Kyle's older Nationwide/Busch wins came against a grid that was far stronger than we have today

I guess the difference comes down to if the 2004-2007 Champ Car grid is worse than the current Xfinity grid. One of the great questions of our era imo

The 1996-1999ish IRL Field trumps both.

There was a lot talent in the CCWS field honestly.

07 had Pagenaud, Power, Bourdais, Rahal and Wilson. Every one of those guys found success within the current form of the sport, and is still finding success to this day.

Anyways, I'll shut up about AOWR.

Alain Post posted:

does anyone remember the totally insane rumor in the mid-90s that NASCAR was going to eliminate Trucks AND GNS, split Winston Cup, and just make two top level NASCAR series, one on the east coast and one on the west coast

That would have been a good idea in retrospect.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I disagree. 3 national level touring series with distinct schedules, driver/sponsor pools, cost levels, rule packages, teams and media coverage are one thing.

3 national level touring series that race the same tracks at the same weekend, with the same drivers winning and with very similar rules packages is another, and is unsustainable.

I always felt it'd be best for NASCAR to buy up the complete rights to whatever is left of the Trans Am Series, merge it with XFS, and then have said series just run road courses.

Camaros, Chargers, Mustangs and perhaps something from Subaru/Toyota running at places like Mid Ohio would be awesome. Hell you can even use it as an excuse to open the sport up to new "foriegn" manufacturers.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.fox4news.com/news/120871197-story

I always imagine guys like the Duck Dynasty types to be aliens posing as southerners like Bubba Plumber from Squidbillies.

What an asshat.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kinda.

Actually drat...I have to find it, but someone did a "NASCARS OF THE FUTURE" magazine cover and it was literally modern day DP's decked out with STP and Goodwrench stuff. Made in 1985 or so IIRC.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm not the biggest Jenna Fryer fan, but this actually makes me angry

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/04/13/duck-dynasty-stars-nascar-prayer-enrages-liberals.html?intcmp=hphz03

quote:

The Associated Press auto racing writer accused Brother Phil of pushing an agenda – and accused NASCAR of “clouding its image with politics.”

“There are Democrats who enjoy NASCAR,” writer Jenna Fryer sneered. “Jews and atheists and women, too.”

Yes Todd what WOULD a person that has covered the sport since 2001 know about NASCAR? loving moron.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

all this super great racing everyone talks about never existed

my entire lifetime, the NASCAR season has consisted of 75% nap inducing races, 20% good races, and 5% awesome race

A good post.

To be fair though? The TV coverage did indeed make it very bearable to watch. Guys like Squier, Gold, Jenkins, Baker, Jarrett and BP were almost ARTISTS in keeping someone tuned in at times.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.deerfieldraceway.com/#!about/c16fk

So this is a thing that exists near me.

Asking Viking and Boomer, what weekends should I see? (I know "ALL OF THEM", but I'm working a lot of saturday nights lately.)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

Why the gently caress do tracks think their audio systems need to compete with the cars? I don't give a poo poo about the trackside announcer.

I like hearing Dave Calabro call things at IMS.

Also they occasionally have Bob Jenkins up in the booth for old time's sake.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Was the NASCAR special on CMT any good?

I'm kinda reluctant to watch it. Reason? I saw the banner image had Danica next to Sr. and Petty.

http://www.cmt.com/shows/nascar-the-rise-of-american-speed/

Either that's the most brilliant trolling I've ever seen or someone who runs NASCAR is really that stupid (leaning towards the latter). I don't know...it just feels like I'd be better off watching random stuff Viking or one of you guys dig up off of youtube.

e: I think a "30 for 30" clone of various drivers, races, and events related to NASCAR would have been a better route than this. Do ones about the Wood Bros., Smokey Yunick, Gordon V. Earnhardt in the 90's, etc, etc.

poo poo...can we do this as a thread topic? Which Racing/NASCAR related stuff would make for the best Docs?

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 9, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What's the World 600/All Star race weeks like?

Do the locals get all excited for it like Indiana natives for the "500" or what? I'm asking sincerely because I've always wondered how the show is down there.

(I'm familiar with Humpy Wheeler's bad rear end pre-race stuff...just wondering if there's anything more?)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cubey posted:

t. Man, looking back, the 2000's were really loving awful for rock music.

That quote right there is an understatement.

There was a few blips of light here and there (I love "The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance), but god you really had to dig deep past the poo poo that was on the radio at the time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Maybe in 50 years.

Ideally what the Hall should do for cases like this, and NASCAR has the connections and cash to do it, is put a large, warehouse style addition on the Hall and have either a reproduction, a car from the same season as, or preferably the championship winning car from each year on display in there. Also, make a rule from here on out, the Cup champion team gives up the last race of the year car to the Hall for good.

That'd be a ridiculously good exhibit.

This.

Also do the same for Daytona 500 winners for DIS.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

Interviewed A.J. Allmendinger at Sears Point today. He said before he was a Jeff Gordon fan, he rooted for Harry Gant. :getin:

He has good taste.

Always knew I liked something about that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Brickyard 400 IMO was:

-On par with the Indy 500 from 94-95, and 05-08
-A bigger event at the track than the Indy 500 from 96-05.

It's not a bad event, just one that's kinda struggled ever since tiregate occurred.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 3, 2016

• Locked thread