Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Seeing the underbird as a milwaukee resident made me smile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:rip: underbird

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

NASCAR fans today: Man, that John Hunter needs to be sat down

NASCAR fans 30 years ago: WHOOOOOOOO GO DALE

I think the death of one Dale is the cause of the "WOOO SUPER AGGRO DRIVING" to die off.

That, and it's only cool when /your/ driver does it, otherwise gently caress that guy. Or you're Tony Stewart, for the obvious reasons.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

theacox posted:

Damnit, now I'm really depressed.

Re: Jr & Fred Lorenzen

Poor Junior. He managed to come out of his dad's shadow but will never manage to win a championship :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Did anyone watch the Whelen race?

Anyway?

guess I was the only one.

Anyway, they had a Trump car. The ad was on the back of the car, anyway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And then there's isle of Mann...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One thing I've always wondered: how fast would X car be able to go on Talladega? Like Indy Cars are already breaking 240 on qually laps at Indy (averaging nearly 231 mph). Think an Indy Car could hit 250 if not higher? :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BMB5150 posted:

That was actually Texas World Speedway. Some reason for goofs they went there to test.

Testing at a course where they don't race is common. Something to do with not counting for testing hours or something, I forget. They use Mid-Ohio for this exact reason for road course testing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Only one thing to say:
:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I still think the chase is still a solution in search of a problem. That said I like the current iteration over any other one, but I prefer traditional points.

Plus, Alan Kulwicki won the championship in 1992 while only winning 2 races that year. I want to see someone do that now :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm more impressed with the concept of hyping up the Winston Million/No Bull 5 "Grand Slam" races than having a 10 race "playoff" that we currently have.

I feel that was more so a step in the right direction rather than the direction they elected to go.

What they could do is give double points to the Daytona 500, Talladega race 1, Brickyard 400, Coke 600, and Southern 500. All of those races are pre-chase. One thing that I think NASCAR could do, and a lot of purists will be pissy about this, but drop a couple of the 2nd time around at a track and replace them with road courses. gently caress, have a road course in the chase first round.

Also, tracks that have two races. Courses marked with a *X have a race in the Chase with the X being the round in the current format:
-Daytona
-Phoenix *8
-Martinsville *8
-Texas *8
-Bristol
-Richmond
-Talladega *12
-Kansas *12
-Dover *16
-Charlotte *12 (also the All-Star "Race")
-Pocono
-Michigan
-New Hampshire *16

The only tracks to only host a chase race are Chicagoland (Round of 16) and Miami (Championship). The other 8 are all repeats.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Actually gently caress it. NASCAR should go full on GT4 spec and only use US cars with one foreign manufacturer :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Points really don't matter in this system because a win almost guarantees a Chase berth so long as one is in the Top 30. Now counting those races for double win credit? That might work.

How exactly would double win credit work here if it's "win one and you're in" for the most part?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Some more hot takes/spitballing:
-Eldora for all levels.
-Allow Xfinity drivers to race in Sprint, but not vice versa. I have no problem with crossover for Trucks given the differences in cars.
-Expand the field for marque races, namely the Daytona 500.
-Trash the Chase, completely.

And as said prior, reduce some of the repeat races and maybe add more road courses. Also, doesn't New Hampshire have a road course configuration? I know LeMons races there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But real talk right now: NASCAR has an image issue, and it has nothing to do with the on-track product.

Brian France was pretty open about his support of Trump. Some big name racers supported him, and there was the Trump truck. NASCAR has long had the image of being for rednecks, brought to you by rednecks, and filled with redneck drivers. I think partially why the Jeff Gordon years were so popular was because suddenly you have this northerner who isn't one of the good ol' southern boys not only winning, but winning constantly. This was also helped by CART completely falling apart in the 90s.

Now the whole Southern Boy image has come roaring back, and it definitely turns people off. A Mexican winning Xfinity is a glorious double barreled middle finger to France though :getin:

The other thing is racing as a whole is on a downswing, and that could be for a multitude of reasons which could be argued till the cows come home.

e: I'm talking top level, big name series here being on a downswing compared to their glory years. IndyCar, F1, and NASCAR all are running into problems with attendance, though Indy's have been around for longer than the other two's. F1 has the added problem of on track product sucking right now if you're not driving a Mercedes (though that's for the Worst Thread), and NASCAR is trying really, really hard to recapture that lightning in a bottle it had in the 90s to the early 2000s.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 21, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Isn't motorsport viewership down as a whole? Pretty sure Jimmy Johnson doesn't have poo poo to do with that.

Pretty much. I mean, the Indy 500 was pretty much the race everyone and their mother would watch, and while it still has massive in person attendance, TV viewers have dropped. They had problems even getting the traditional 33 cars this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

And Suarez winning is everything NASCAR wants, because they can point to him and say "look we're not racist!"

Sort of to a point. They tried asking France about him winning and his views on Trump, and France ran faster than a Top Fuel car.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

Ratings are down, but is that an accurate measure of viewership? They're all ignoring the internet. NFL and Premier League ratings have plummeted, too. Just about the only sport that isn't losing viewers is the NBA.

I know Indy and IMSA livestreams (unless Fox is running the show, but Fox's non-NASCAR coverage blows massive chunks), and I think NASCAR does too. F1 does not :lol:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HFX posted:

Are these road courses the inside the oval (Daytona, Indy, etc) or full real road course (Road Atlanta, Road America, Virginia)?

I'm fine with either or, with preference given to real ones. Like it would be awesome if they did the Daytona road course the second time they came to town, but that would likely piss off people because of lack of infield seating or some poo poo.

e: of the chase tracks that exist already, Texas (barely), Kansas, Charlotte, and New Hampshire have road course configs.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 21, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, belated, but throwing that red flag last night was to me, the correct course of action. There was no way they'd be able to clean that mess up in 10 laps.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone should try getting Pastor Maldonado a NASCAR ride. That'd spice things up.

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 21, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/800499570253758464

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You mean that the past few months wasn't the silly season? :confused:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/800508213162639360

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not sure if this is Misc thread worthy or NASCAR, so it'll get both:
https://twitter.com/dennyhamlin/status/801144254588297216
https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/801152130618916869

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Elitist Bitch posted:

Live sports ratings are down across the board- even the NFL is not immune. Despite the fact that they're trying to grow the sport in Europe, they're getting pressure to stop showing games at balls in the morning on the west coast. My guess is that cord-cutters are finally getting to live sports, and they're going to have to give up and sell directly to consumers. I live in the local broadcast area for my NFL team and I pay $20/season to listen to the radio broadcasts of my "local" baseball team (meaning that I can't get them on MLB.TV) that isn't even carried in my local cable system. This is what is killing sports in general and NASCAR in particular- people under 40 simply won't get cable to watch sports, especially as networks pay to put those sports on progressively higher tiers of cable.

The Packers last I checked offered their radio broadcasts /for free/ online. I would use that when I wasn't at a bar or didn't have cable.

e:

daslog posted:

What's killing other sports on TV is the overabundance of commercials. NFL games are unwatchable with it's tiny little bits of action sandwiched between endless dick pill ads.

What's killing NASCAR is that it looks really boring on modern TV. If you haven't been to a race the cars look slow and boring when watching in HD. It doesn't help that the TV directors all have ADD and refuse to keep a camera focused on anything for more then 30 seconds.

To me, baseball's commercials are just timed just right: every half inning, pitcher changes, and injuries. You know when one is coming, they're at a times that make sense, and they're never too long. Then again, with a 162 game season, they don't need /as/ many.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 24, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neodoomium posted:

I finished 12th in Fantasy Nascar, with 21 top 10 finishes and zero wins.

That level of futile consistency is impressive, imo

Matt Kenseth disagrees, though he also got a win

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ads during an endurance race are fine. You have 6+ hours of action. Part of the problem is that ads are so integrated into US tv is unavoidable. Though they manage to do soccer without them

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think one thing that needs to change, and I definitely am going to be branded a heretic for this, but they need to move away from v8s and maybe 4 speed gearboxes. I'm neutral in h-patterns though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BMB5150 posted:

I wouldn't mind bringing back V6s. Might actually bring other manufacturers in and can make the engines based on stock engines and not the same regs for V8s since the 70s.

3.5L tt v6s please

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cubey posted:

hydrogen-powered rotaries

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

going to more gears doesn't do anything when you're in top gear for 500 miles, though, other than make Days of Thunder more believable

It's why I said maybe. The only courses I can see extra gears being a factor are the road courses (natch) and possibly Pocono, but beyond that, I agree with no extra gears needed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What kind of cars are those? Never seen them before

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So Clint Bowyer apparently got screwed out of money:
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascar-driver-claims-hes-owed-2-223-million-that-his-t-1789469100

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:siren::siren::siren:
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/804395589060333568

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

my guess is the new title sponsor is getting announced (It's probably Monster)

Probably. Official twitter confirmation, for anyone who gives a poo poo:
https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/804400800122413056

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptfsfv5bvAQ

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As subtle as Stewart on a dirt track.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yup, it's official. Monster logos all over the place

Adbot