Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
In fantasy as SmokesRetirementParty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Peanut President posted:

He's not very happy. He was really optimistic about his team's future with Cassill, had sponsors, was running better. Now team has "no value". Guy asks him if a team can make it without a charter and he said no.

It wasn't like a "loving gently caress YOU NASCAR :argh:" kind of thing it was more "I've wasted my time and money".

That was actually sad to listen to.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Sucks for Dover or whichever track had to shell out a bunch of money to completely redo their pit road and garage to accommodate 43 car fields a couple years ago. Wasn't it Dover that used to have 40 stalls and teams would have to share until the start and park teams dropped out?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Clint Bowyer is signed for the 14 next year.

This certainly isn't the last 500 for Smoke, the only thing he said he's retiring from is Cup point racing. He's going to probably race more than ever, if his back heals ok.

e- also you're fooling yourself if you think his recent weight loss is anything other than prep for the Indy 500 next year, watch

Oh yeah I can totally see him going Ken Schrader style. "Retiring" by going around the country racing 7 days a week on dirt tracks.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I think the caution clock is ridiculously stupid but I don't think it will create the problems that it did tonight at other tracks. I wonder if they will think about suspending the use of the clock on plate tracks? It really doesn't make much sense. There is constant action in a tight pack, no real reason for a "debris" caution to spice things up and catch up the field.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Really they could just implement it on 1.5 mile and 2 mile tracks and leave it out for everywhere else. Its just going to cause the same problem at Martinsville and Bristol. I guess New Hampshire and Phoenix it could be manageable so maybe anything under a mile and over 2 miles don't use the clock? Who knows they'll probably do nothing but I hope they tweak it a little.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

NASCAR: "No pushing, no pushing, no pushing"

Logano: *pushes the gently caress out of Elliott*

Consistently inconsistent. Push for 2 seconds on lap 30, penalty. Push for 30 seconds on the last lap, who cares!

Parmesan Basil posted:

Any of you guys want some old 1/64s of mine. I have a Jeremy Mayfield, a Rusty, a DW #66 and a #45 Kyle Petty. And a #88 Dale Jarrett. I'm moving so I gotta get rid of some poo poo.

Which Rusty?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Parmesan Basil posted:

Blue and White #2 with Rusty on the hood. I don't know the year.

I think those were like the mid 90's to the 2000's cars maybe? MGD ones were the poo poo. Back when I was young and impressionable and had no idea how NASCAR actually worked I wrote Rusty a fan letter asking why they switched from the MGD car to the Miller Lite car because the MGD car was so much better. He actually wrote back and explained the whole thing, or somebody wrote back anyway. I was impressed with it at the time at least.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

DEMAG posted:

Goddammit! Why won't people stick with Biff...
Preachin' to the choir. I've had a Biffle avatar since who knows when. I had one when he was being a particularly big rear end calling somebody a donkey or something and then a couple years later he weirdly became like really good for a season and I haven't changed it since then. I'm probably due to update it to reflect his current skill level.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Geez you guys are picky. Debris cautions are bullshit they throw them at the end of every tire or fuel run. *Race runs 200 green laps* This is boring as gently caress what a lovely race I'm taking a nap gently caress everyone who watched it!

I really didn't think it was that bad. I thought it was actually kind of nice to see the teams strategies for a green flag race play out. How often do we see a team take a big chance in hopes the race runs green for an entire run or to the end of a race only to have 'debris' fall on the track the second green flag stops cycle through? I thought the race had an interesting strategy to it and even at the end wondering who was going to pit with 50 to go and try for a big lead and when the #48 did exactly that I thought it was interesting enough trying to guess if/when the #4 was going to catch him. I think the green flag stops made the 200 lap run interesting enough which only made me realize further how loving stupid the CAUTION CLOCK is. The truck series will not have to make a green flag stop one time all year unless they are trying to beat the clock like at Daytona which really worked out for everybody there.

Not every race can be 300 laps like the final laps of Darlington in 2003.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

I actually did like this race, and was sleepy so I took a nap. It was kind of an intersection point of two things, please calm down Biffleman it's going to be ok

Hey I don't care what you do, watch, don't watch, whatever. I just think we finally got something different this week than the run of the mill mile and a half snoozer with perfectly timed cautions every 42 laps to bunch everyone up and give the leader clean air and the complaints just keep coming. Just trying to point out some of what I thought was interesting and that we might not see it again for the rest of the year and I found it to be an enjoyable change of pace.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

I'm actually looking for an 80's vintage mod to convert to a street car, which is why that one is golden. Junkyard engine and trans, plexiglass windshield with working wipers, and a set of lights and I'm good. I'd need bicycle fenders when the DMV issues the special construction tag but I'd be riding dirty without them once I got plates.

e- though the vintage guys are exponentially cheaper than regular racing. 70% of those guys just stroke and probably only eat a few sets of tires a year

There is a vintage mod series that runs around New England (pavement mods) and they run scripted races. They do a draw at the beginning of the day to determine the winners of heats and the feature. Then they run around at like 3/4 throttle until the guy who is supposed to win works his way up to the lead and then "race" the rest of the time, so long as nobody passes the leader. Basically they are show cars that nobody wants to take a chance of crashing so they take the element of pushing it for the win out of it. Its cool to see them on track until you realize they are running 25 parade laps. There is another vintage series that actually races though which is pretty cool. They all race pretty clean and nobody breaks their stuff so it can be done competitively without wrecking every week so I don't get the fake races but to each their own.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Bill Elliot is from motherfucking backwater Georgia, did you think he was a liberal?

e- I bet his family voted for George Wallace

e2- you can say what you want about Petty (and I often do) but despite his support for Reagan, the fucker had a fu manchu and a peace sign shaped head rest during the Vietnam war

Seriously. I feel like that was a given, same for probably every NASCAR star of that era. drat, can't believe the Alabama gang were all conservatives. Shakes me to my core. My youth was a sham and all my heroes are dead to me.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't know.

If I were Kimi's shoes...the better move would be to swipe Juan's seat at Penske (who is likely driving for Porsche in WEC) run IndyCar for 2-3 seasons, and then give Cup a go.

I don't mean that as a slam towards going to Cup or anything. But I think it's better if he uses it as an eventual steppingstone towards running stock cars.

He also has a few more good years in him, and I think he'd be a serious threat to win Indianapolis. He could very easily cross that off his check list and then run Cup/Rally, etc for lulz.

Not to mention? Dude could easily be a Road Course ringer for Roger during those seasons. He could run the glen, sears point, mid ohio, road america, etc. Giving him more seat time to prepare to be actually competitive in Cup versus being mediocre to bad in it.

I'm not saying this as a "DURR INDYCAR" fan. I'm saying this as a Kimi fan. Much rather see him get a few Indy wins before devoting himself to Cup full time. Think that'd be awesome to see.

I don't see how Indy is a steppingstone to running stock cars. Its been proven quite a bit over the last few years that doing well in one doesn't translate to doing well in the other. I would watch Kimi in either series though. I thought for sure he was going to lose his ride at Ferrari a couple years ago when they struggled so badly but now that Ferrari is competitive again it seems like Kimi still has it in him to compete with the best in F1 and it would certainly be interesting to see how he would fair in either series. I would definitely watch to see how he does running ovals at the very least if he went to Indy.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Peanut President posted:

Those all loving suck.

I like the Busch car :toot:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

L_Harrison posted:

That's seriously cooler than any driver's win this year.

Yeah that was awesome. I can't believe how many cars finished on the lead lap that you'd think would have no chance at it. Besides DeBenedetto and Bowyer, all the Roush cars, Landon Cassill and Chris Buescher all finished on the lead lap while Jimmie, Kyle and Kenseth all had problems and finished off the lead lap. Pretty cool to see the underdogs get one over on the big guys every once in a while.

The Jr comeback was fun to watch and mid-late race when Jimmie was racing Allmendinger for the lucky dog was loving hilarious to watch. They were just beating the poo poo out of each other for that position.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Possibly Chicken posted:

The 51 or whatever usually put in a good run at richmond iirc

Yeah is this team that much different from when it was the #51 for Phoenix Racing? I was under the impression it was basically the same Hendrick piece with a different name on it. Could this be just flushing out that maybe Bowyer isn't the all around wheelman he's supposed to be? I know Kurt Busch had a rough season with that car but I don't remember him really going off the rails like that which is incredibly surprising considering he is Kurt Busch after all. Just looking quickly Kurt seemed to actually have pretty similar results finishing in the 20s and teens a lot with only 1 top 10 and 1 top 5. I know it must be frustrating but I feel like Bowyer is having a tougher time of it than Kurt did unless I'm just remembering it wrong.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

I really don't get the Bowyer hate, I love the guy

I don't hate the guy at all. Just found it a little surprising that the team is struggling so hard. I completely forgot about the SHR to Ford thing and that being a contributing factor to support disappearing. The unpreparedness is pretty un-excusable though. Unless their notes from Hendrick for each track had Nut and Bolt Check at the top of each sheet and without them the team forgot to do one.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

It wasn't mysterious everyone knows they were going with three nuts. (Backpage girls charge extra for this FYI)

Plus wasn't the big thing with them last year their "cheater" impact guns? I remember some sort of thing where all the Gibbs air guns sounded different and that they were all cheated up so they could be faster than everybody else. Admittedly I don't know the rules about the impact guns on pit road but if they figured out a way to make their guns go faster than everybody else's than I don't really see a problem with that.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Lord Wexia posted:

Is anyone going here to Monadnock on the 21st? There's a 200 lap mod race and my wife is tired of being dragged to races there. Would love to talk about how much we love Trump and Brian France in person.
That track is pretty sweet. We'll be there on June 18th with our baby mod for a race. We love that track because we finish well there. We got our two 3rd place finishes there last year. We're already halfway to tying that record this year too since we managed to finish 3rd at Thompson at the IceBreaker.

SwampYankee posted:

I wish, but I'm busy that weekend. The $10,000 to win Open Mod race at Seekonk last year was awesome.
This year they are doing that in June and then like a month later doing a $10,000 to win Pro Stock/Super Late Model race on July 13th and our series, New England Pro 4 Modifieds, will be a companion event to that. $10K to win in pro stocks at that track? Its gonna be a bloodbath. We raced late models there in the weekly series for like 5 seasons and that poo poo would get pretty rough sometimes. I like being in this little mod series a lot better. 15 races all spread out instead of every single week and a lot fewer accidents.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

claimer rules have been a thing for decades at short tracks, and I've even heard the fan thing, too

generally, the first year it's instituted, no one uses it because everyone has an illegal engine (hence why the class is now claimer)

second year, someone gets mad enough to break the ice, 9 times out of 10 not worth it, guy techs clean (this is because he's now running cheater shocks)

third year, no one uses it, everyone techs clean (engines) half the field has moved up or down to a class where they can cheat

year 5, rule dropped, class half dead and 8% less fans in the seats than year 1

e- note, this doesn't apply to the lowest style of car like street stock or enduro, those guys don't give a gently caress and happily claim each others cars and engines as a feature of the class, and it usually works quite well

We had claim rules at Seekonk when we ran in the weekly late model series there. It was only used in our division 1 time that I remember and it didn't work. I forget the details but remember the guy who was accused was like, say goodbye to your money rear end in a top hat. You had to pony up like $500, I think, claim that somebody was cheating and if you were wrong, the track kept your money. Basically we tore this car down for nothing, you lose your security deposit mother fucker.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Slickdrac posted:

No, if you were on Facebook, someone would have said that the drivers should have to get out of the cars, change their own tires, fuel the car themselves, and clean their own windshield.

Well they can clean their own windshield, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIER-niiG5U

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

LASTCAR posted:

McMurray and Stewart also both ran Bass Pro Shops in the All-Star Race.

I wonder what the idea is behind that from Bass Pro Shops perspective. It may be cheaper to sponsor a car for part of the season but when you're shelling out for primary sponsorship for 3 cars part time wouldn't you think they are spending just as much if not more than one full time car? You'd think that they'd want somebody, whether its Tony, Jamie or Truex, to drive THE Bass Pro Car. When we were younger cars were associated with their sponsors because just about everybody only had one primary. You'd say the Tide car, Valvoline car, Kodiak car, Budweiser car, etc. I wonder why they wouldn't just want to get one car.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

SPiTZ posted:

I always liked the red/white shooting star miller schemes over the gold or anything to follow though.

Blasphemy!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

But, just imagine if they were GOLD.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Well clearly the MGD scheme is the best scheme but in the hierarchy of Miller schemes I put gold ahead of white and red.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

It didn't seem like cars back in the pack were having that much trouble passing. At different times it felt like good cars, or cars that made adjustments and were caught back in the pack were able to climb up through the pack easy enough. I just think the #78 crushed the field and like somebody else mentioned, I can't believe they haven't torn that thing down and rebuilt it a few times to figure out what they did to beat everyone so badly.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

mischief posted:

Even bad races can be fun. Rent a scanner, drink beer, buy a tacky hat.

Plus who's to say it will be that bad of a race. I mean, history, but a lot of races have actually been good this year. Indy might be ok this year.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

HOLY SMOLEY

When does NBC coverage start?

Agreed. I'm only saying that now because the race was spoiled by FS1 while I was watching the race. I tried to DVR the race live Monday but somehow that didn't work and instead had to DVR the replay of it. During the replay of the race they were also SCROLLING THE RESULTS of it across the bottom line ticker. I get that it is a race that already happened but if you're going to the trouble of playing it a second time you'd think that at least some people out there are seeing it for the first time and don't want the results scrolled across the bottom of the screen because they don't know what happened yet. Whatever, on to Michigan.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

If is a Whelen tour the car count should be pretty high I would think. But maybe its because I'm from the Northeast and every modified tour around here is like 3 heats, LCQ and 30 car feature. For $10.50 its worth it no matter if its 12 cars or 40 though. Every modified race around where I am is pretty awesome, even when its the weekly series SKs or SK lights they are usually good races, but when ever a tour is at the same track we are we're pretty much guaranteed 100 - 150 laps of good racing.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

gret posted:

Also Iowa only has ~30k seats.

NASCAR wouldn't want to ruin their streak of the stands looking completely empty on TV.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

^^^Hey man poo poo happens. I watch loving Formula 1 for the last 5 years or so...

I think this is more my neck of the woods (New England pavement mods). Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think Viking is more a New York dirt race guy? Either way I personally don't know a lot about him, he's probably a little before my time as far as being on the northeast racing circuit but everybody I know in the generation before me knows/knows of this guy. A lot of the guys we race with have raced against his cars for sure. We've got a race coming up this weekend at Waterford Speedbowl and I wouldn't be surprised if it we have it as a memorial race for him even if unofficially. I'll bet most tracks throughout New England will make mention of him or have this weekend be a memorial race weekend in his honor.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

The hockey analogy is the best one I think. I was thinking the same thing while watching it, SRA should take up hockey because he has the fight defense down perfect. Grab the sweater, tire the guy out, take it to the ice, go to the box. I guess he did take a couple weak ones to the face though. I'd hope the punishment isn't too harsh since it was pretty clear Speckler Goobler was just defending himself and not actively fighting back which should score him some points with the sanctioning body but then again when does the sanctioning body do anything based on logic?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Possibly Chicken posted:

Joe Gibbs racing is a disgrace. The whole team should be banned for life it's the same poo poo every week.

*prays and thanks jesus after winning because you broke the rules*

It won't stop unless they start taking away wins, which they will never do for whatever reason. What they could do is, if a winning car fails post race tech, their win does NOT count toward the chase. If you're 28th in points and win, but fail post race, you don't make it. If you have 2 wins and win a 3rd that fails post race, no bonus points. It seems easy enough. You don't have to take the wins away, just make them worthless and that will cut out some of the cheating...maybe.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Didn't they do this already with Kenseth?
I thought they just docked regular season points and let the win stand? I'm not sure of how the point system works either I guess.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Wonder what Hamlin had under the car that he knew he needed to destroy :v:

Is it good or bad that is the first thought that entered my mind as well? Pretty much anytime somebody wins and then destroys their car you have to wonder what they are trying to hide.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

There's also the slim, but fascinating chance that Jones somehow sucks in Joe Gibbs equipment in Cup, only to find his stride with another team willing to give him a chance. Joey Logano was a pen stroke away from full-time Xfinity, limited Cup before he went to Penske.

Granted, you can make the strong argument that Jones has been developed properly and Joey wasn't.

I think that will make a big difference, the development part of it. I think a lot of people, me included, had written Joey "Sliced Bread" Logano off as the next Elliott Saddler when he got his ride at Penske. He's been pretty drat impressive since then. I still don't like him, but impressive none the less. I think Jones has gotten a lot of lower series experience and a little Cup experience to learn with and I think he could come in and at least be as successful as Chase or Ryan Blaney has been for a rookie in Cup.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

My fantasy lineup didn't save for this week, so I've got what I've got, apparently.

2-27-19-21

e- "Purchase yer tickets now for the Southern 500*!" -Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

*Dale Earnhardt, Jr. will not be appearing in this race.

I got to watch my fantasy bench crush my lineup the whole race. It wasn't as bad as it could have been but I gave away some points. Starters finished 3rd, 8th, 21st, 30th and bench finished 1st, 4th, 9th 17th.

E: and hell yeah on the Larsowns train!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

LASTCAR posted:

Love the avatar, bigbillystyle. :)

It's still sinking in that Kyle Larson pulled that off. Next couple weeks are going to be even more interesting. Just hope that Buescher can hang on.

Thanks. I figured it was time for a change since the last time I updated my avatar was when Biffle came out and had like a gangbuster season. I was just looking at his wiki and it looks like that might have been back in 2012 where he started off with 3 3rds, 13th, 6, 13th, and a win. That season he actually only had one stretch where he went 3 races without a top 10 and those 3 were a 13th, 18th and 16th. Not bad for the Biff. But it's time to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Alex Bowman not having a ride at the start of the year may have been the greatest disappointment of his career, because he's getting the lion's share of a top flight ride.

And he's actually doing pretty drat good with it. How many guys have we wondered what might have been if they just got a shot in top flight equipment only to get in it and totally underwhelm? I hope he has better luck than he did at Michigan this past weekend going forward. It would be real cool if he even got a shot at winning one before the year went out but it has been fun watching him the couple races he's gotten in the 88 running around in the top 10 or top 5 just running a good, clean, professional race.

• Locked thread