Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I don't post in the league thread often and my preference is union, but I swear I (casually) support the Warriors. Honest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

iajanus posted:

We welcome all to weep openly at the terrible life decisions we've made to follow particular teams.

In essence this thread is the support group that stops me from jumping off a cliff 26 weeks a year.

At least with the Tigers, you know it's going to be a poo poo 26 weeks. With the Warriors, they keep teasing you that they'll finally do it this year for sure. It starts with the promising moves from the pre-season. Then they get smashed in the opening round, but they recover. And then they collapse spectacularly during the season. And then they recover and get a few wins during Origin time, because all the good Aussie players have hosed off. And then they almost get to the play-offs, and then fall short. If they do make the play-offs, welp, sorry, it was just a bridge too far for them. But hey, there's always next season, right?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Nines is on today, and it's pissing down in Auckland.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Did well to be within two tries there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How was that a knock-on by the Warriors?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Eels are the better team, and are outplaying the Warriors at every area. They're just falling apart under pressure, and the little things are going against them, like injuries at inopportune moments.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

iajanus posted:

How did the tigers hold on for that draw? Dropping the ball on the first tackle on our own line twice in the last two minutes and then the sharks dropping the ball on the last pass with no defender able to do anything as they ran in for the match winner.

Tigers fail so hard, they fail at failing?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, uh, Shaun Kenny-Dowall...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11594906

https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...223-gn1xia.html

Yeah, gently caress that guy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Troubled former-Warrior Kevin Locke has opened up about his depression and multiple suicide attempts. It does explain, to some extent, why he is the way he is.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/77298336/how-league-player-kevin-locke-beat-depression

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dirty Frank posted:

This is nice, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiJMAKofWUY short highlights from Toulouse XIII vs Wath Brow in the Challenge Cup. There some good attacking play! Wath Brow is a small village in Cumbria just at the edge of the Lake District about 10 miles from where I grew up. Them playing against a french city makes me happy :)

The camera work is surprisingly good, I wonder if they went over with the froggies, cos I'm sure there's no one in Cumbria knows how to use a Camera.

It was nice to see the crowd so well-behaved and polite to the opposition as well. They encourage their players, and cheer their team, and then politely applaud the opposition when they score their points.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bowmore posted:

hopefully I can conjure some sort of prize for the winner this year

Is the Tigers being a bunch of worthless wasters and the Warriors underachieving spectacularly again not prize enough?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

iajanus posted:

Jesus Christ what is happening in this game

The Warriors always get hosed like a dog around Mitchell Pearce in the opening round.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The papers are saying the raiders have signed paulo for next year. Stuart must either be cheating the cap or has unlocked third party deals for canberra

Either that, or Canberra are taking a page right out of the Storm's playbook.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bowmore posted:

He already said cheating the cap

Me am read words good. :downs:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I wonder how may will suddenly be declared "injured."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Burn Down Auckland

Seriously, when it happens every year, regardless of who the coach is, then it's pretty obvious the problem is with the players and not the coach. It would be easy to get rid of McFadden, but I doubt it would make any difference unless there's also a serious clear-out and rebuild of the squad. gently caress those fucks.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 26, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Considering the possibility I was wrong about the bro culture :negative:

At least nobody got arrested or caused any problems for anyone else and they even had a sober driver but still this pisses all over the fans after that loss on the weekend. Thought we might've seen Lauiti'ti in first grade but they're talking about Palavi & Sipley coming in instead.

Vatuvei is supposedly a senior loving player and I thought Bodene had more sense about him than that.

re: Foran, there are rumours going around that his recently born child is actually fathered by an ex Manly team mate. Hope he's doing ok, the fact that he's in hospital leads to some pretty scary conclusions.

Man we're so hosed for the ANZAC test.

As I said earlier, maybe it's the players, not the coaches.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, the Warriors management were angry enough with the antics of Vatuvei, Matulino and Thompson, that they've declared the three unavailable for the Kiwis in the upcoming ANZAC test. Good. gently caress them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

He showed up out of shape and had a few off games, but the way Rattue at the Herald has been writing him off has been sensationalist bullshit. He should be in the test squad.

:negative:

Rattue? Sensationalist? The devil you say.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

I usually only read his league stuff, and he's typically more even keeled when it comes to that. But between his campaign against Luke and his suggestion that Johnson be cut, I'm beginning to see what sort of material he comes up with for wider audiences.

See if you can find his meltdown over Graham Henry being retained as All Blacks coach over Robbie Deans in 2007.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Yeah Luke should be there for sure.

Also additional to the Warriors shameful six story: 5 of the 6 have admitted to doing the energy drink/precription pills thing, Hurrell says he did not have any pills and was sober driver. Kearney had knowledge of this and was in full agreement with the Warriors that they should not be selected for NZ.

Turns out that he not only was aware of this, he was involved in the Warriors' call to bar them from selection for the upcoming test.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

That makes sense considering he had to deal with similar bullshit by players at the last World Cup.

He was quite right to, and I like that the Warriors included him in their disciplinary process. It sets a good precedent for club and country going forward.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kiwis team has been named

1. Jordan Kahu
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
4. Gerard Beale
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Tohu Harris
7. Shaun Johnson

8. Jesse Bromwich (C)
9. Lewis Brown
10. Adam Blair
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Manu Ma'u
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Kodi Nikorima
15. Greg Eastwood
16. Martin Taupau
17. Sam Moa
18. Brad Takairagi

20. Kenny Bromwich

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Burn Down Canberra posted:

What a plonker. Thsy should fire him immediately. That would teach him :xd:

I would honestly love it if this is how the Eels' salary cap problem is sorted.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

iajanus posted:

Yay we limped to a win, again with only two left on the bench.

2016 is the Tigers' season to lose, mate.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

iajanus posted:

Could we disband them and promote some other kiwi team in their place?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, Corey Norman, right?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/parramatta-eel-corey-norman-to-face-court-on-illegal-drugs-charges-20160525-gp3p6v.html

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It seems like Hurrell being told to gently caress off was some time coming, with constant indiscretions and a failure on his end to reflect and take ownership of his own behaviour. It's always someone else's fault, basically.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11644817

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

iajanus posted:

A glimmer of hope for the Blues (insofar as C-E might have to play...)?

I hope Cherry-Evans has improved at halfback, because he was shitawful in Game II last year.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bowmore posted:

Oh Eels, still as crazy as a bag of cats

shame we won't get to see Radradra play another NRL game for a while

The TOP 14 clubs are quite flush with cash, and being Pacific Islander, he'd be quite attractive to them since he doesn't count towards the limit on no-EU players in the starting XV.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Top 14 signed a huge broadcasting deal with Canal+, so right now there's a shitload of money in that competition. I wouldn't be surprised if there are raids made on the NRL again, if Radradra is successful as a convert.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

But can we hate any teams as much as Burn Down Canberra hated the Raiders one fateful evening?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Welp, Corey Norman's been convicted.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...712-gq4g7p.html

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ili posted:

Anyone else notice the Blues turn their backs and walk off during Cam Smith's speech?

Everyone's noticed it, and NSW are being called cunts for it. Basically, gently caress Paul Gallen, now and forever more.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Game 1 is set to be played at Suncorp anyway.

Oh, and meanwhile, the Hayne Plane is not landing at the Waratahs.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...726-gqee7t.html

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 26, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MiniSune posted:

Probably because Union is basically broke and couldnt risk his wages and another Benji Marshall situation.

The ARU is broke as gently caress, although the new Super Rugby broadcast deal means they live on to fight another day. The NZRU and SARU could probably afford him if they wanted, but like you said, they probably won't want to invest however much he'll probably ask for on a player that will be around 31 or 32 after doing his 3-year stand-down period from international rugby playing in Super Rugby and either the Mitre10 Cup or Currie Cup, and then appearing in the requisite number of consecutive 7s tournaments to switch over the All Blacks or Springboks after that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Good on him for really making a go of it in the NFL, though. At first I thought it was odd he had such a hard time catching punts, but at the end of the day I think it was just a case of the pigskin being subtly different from a Steeden and messing with his footballing instincts. Too different to translate directly, too similar to make a clean break. But it wasn't for lack of effort, in my opinion anyway--though I do wish he hadn't insulted American coffee.

Isn't Hayne going back to the Eels anyway?

The Eels appear to be fairly keen on him, but he had also been talking to the ARU about a possible switch. If he did go to union, he probably would have been fast-tracked into the Wallabies, like they do with pretty much every code-hopper, despite the fact that Israel Folau (and on this end of the ditch, Brad Thorn and SBW) is pretty much an exception in a list of unspectacular converts.

Matt Duffie on the other hand, has actually been a case of easing him into the sport, and had managed to get the hang of things by the end of the Blues' season.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

Has union relaxed their eligibility rules? I thought that you couldn't change allegiance once you represented the test team, the team below the test team or sevens team.

There's now a 7s team loophole, where if you've not represented another country at the test level, or the next highest designated team (besides the 7s team), then you can switch allegiance after playing 4 out of the 9 rounds of the 7s circuit. The only caveat is that the nation has to be one where you have a tie to (familial or citizenship) and an 18-month stand-down.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah but ultimately what would Hayne bring to the Wallabies? And more generally, what would he do in Union? Sevens makes a little more sense as it would have offered a shot at the Olympics, but I can't see him getting paid better in Union in Australia and I haven't heard of any million-Euro offers from, like, Toulon.

gently caress all, but it's not unusual for some coaches to be blinded by the fact that they've got a star cross-code player and call them up to the national side just because - e.g. Karmichael Hunt this year and Sam Burgess last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

cpaf posted:

That is an understatement

So, is he playing or not?

• Locked thread