Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

FYI I am still a Broncos supporter despite the grand final / OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Also, put me in the OP too :smith:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Is it too early to do ladder predictions? I'm going to do a ladder prediction.

1. Storm
2. Broncos
3. Manly
4. Cowboys
5. Sharks
6. Warriors
7. Panthers
8. Roosters
9. Dogs
10. Souths
11. Raiders
12. Knights
13. Dragons
14. Eels
15. Tigers
16. Titans

Really hard to pick the middle imo

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Townsend is apparently gonna be the choice halfback at the Sharks too, which is remarkably stupid when you could be playing Holmes at fullback and Bird/Maloney in the halves

e: Even Barba would be a better choice at halfback

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

What?? Who told you that?? He's doing fine in sevens from what I can tell.

It's just optimistic chatter probably. Roosters have cleared out a mammoth amount of salary cap space (and don't look like they've stopped just yet either :v:), some of which is probably related to the presumably heavily back-ended contracts that can only explain their roster over the last few seasons but it also means people suspect they're making room for Hayne/SBW

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Abalone Malone posted:

also blues to win 3-0, after QLD succumb to the brilliance of a Luke Lewis and Greg Bird Blues halves partnership

This still wouldn't be the worst halves decision they've made in the last decade. Maybe not even top 3

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I already regret putting the Eels so low on my list, I'm starting to think they'll do alright this year. The Gordon/Norman/Foran spine is as filled with potential as it is fun to say out loud and Peats is pretty comfortably the greatest NRL twitter personality. They're still stuck with a very old and tired forward pack though

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Queensland can happily ban all these depth players and still be in better shape than NSW

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Morgan and probably still even DCE would have been ahead of both of them anyway. I'd like to see DCE have a go in origin alongside Cronk, he's only really had a chance in the halves with JT who he obviously doesn't gel with

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Napa probably would have gotten into the team because we lack the crazy-eyed niggle merchant that we've traditionally had for the last decade; Hodgo has gone now and nobody has really filled the void that mad bastards like Carl Webb and Mick Crocker and Tallis left. We're at risk of being out-crazy-bastarded by the blues now they have Ku Klux Klemmer

Myles is still good for a bit of a casual gee-up tho

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Roosters continue to get gloriously hosed, Boyd Cordner is out for 3 months with a torn pectoral.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

MiniSune posted:

He's also good with indoor pot plants.

And shoes

Vagabundo posted:

The Nines is on today, and it's pissing down in Auckland.

Starts in an hour and a half and they're streaming it on http://livestream.com/nrl

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

These conversion attempts are magnificent

Wish these commentators knew at least as many player names as I do

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Classic Braith, welcome back

e: Latrell Mitchell is scary good

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Akileese posted:

Oh yeah so it is. Well that's lame. I looked and there's no international option except the "international broadcast" streaming site, which you need to use a VPN to get around the geoblock for. They claim fox has the rights, but fox soccer 2 go doesn't even carry all the matches and it's $20 a month which is absolutely preposterous.

Oh well whatever. It's 2016, if I want to give someone money for a service I should be able to. I mostly don't trust fox at all since their sports2go platform is one of the worst I've ever used.

Livestream.com/nrl will let you stream and watch replays with a way to get around geoblocking. Unblock us is a good paid option but zenmate is also fine. They have free trials as well, also good for Netflix but less essential for those not in the USA

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

ili posted:

Caught my first super league game on fox tonight, the Wigan vs Catalans game. I really enjoyed it but have to ask, do they usually play in that much mud? It was like a game at Brookvale but without the broken glass and dog poo poo. Also your steveo and eddie make the channel 9 clowns seem like towering intellects.

Couldn't have been worse than the conditions at the broncos/cowboy trial on saturday: http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2016/02/08/trial_broncos_v_cowb.html

Apparently Greg Eden impressed enough in that trial to get a ticket to the WCC game, either him or Opacic on the wing replacing Maranta

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

So is Joseph Tapine really worth the $1.5 million that the Raiders have apparently just signed him on? Seems like a lot of money for another 2RF unless they plan to push Fensom until he disintegrates and use him for spare parts

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Raiders have recruited brilliantly in 2015/16 so maybe Ricky knows something we don't

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Papalii would move back to prop I imagine since it was already pretty crowded in the second row even before you bought Tapine

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Soward is easily a bigger fuckwit than Farah and Beau Ryan combined and that is saying a lot

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Aeynolds looks sharp as hell tonight

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I think Manly will only do poorly this year if they are savaged by injury. They only just missed out on the 8 in 2015 despite having probably the most pathetic forward pack in the competition and now they have a very good one. They'll miss Foran but probably won't miss 2015 Foran.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I like what the Dragons and now the Eels have done with the club captain and team captain, where the former is captain of the team in the media while the team captain fills the on-field responsibilities. Best choice for the Kiwis imo would be Mannering or even Luke or Robson as team captain and Johnson as club captain. Or comedy option Konrad Hurrell as club captain

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Roosters B-team looked pretty solid against St Helens this morning. Hastings, KNikorima, Latrell Mitchell and Kane Evans all looked good and pro fantasy buys

Bit hosed when you lose half your A grade team and you're still tipped 5th to win

e: JNikorima*, please don't put KNikorima in your fantasy team

Thinking fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 20, 2016

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The second half was mounties players. I think a few of them could have done better to make a claim for first grade mind.

Still things i liked

Hodgson
BJ looks fit
Sezer has a more deft kicking game than williams and hopefully it will be the end of 7 tackle sets killing the raiders.
The pack looks good but depth is a worry. Vaughan and Boyd need to have big years. I liked the look of Sia at lock.
Attack was good, defence still has a giant question mark.

And it wasnt the bulgarelli game although that kills me. Stupid elliot not playing graham. I think i changed my username to bdc after the tigers beat the raiders and bronson harrison just STUNK the place up. It was 2011.

Did Elliott Whitehead play? He's another Canberra SL import with big raps on him

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Just watched the WCC, Wigan sure are some grubby cunts

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Jono C posted:

Today I learned there are two Nikorimas in the NRL.

Jayden has been carving up U20s for a while now, he was one of a few upcoming Broncos developed talent (inc Ash Taylor/Matt Parcell) that they let go of last year. Jayden is the younger and supposedly better brother. Hasn't played a proper first grade game yet AFAIK

Not sure if Jayden has declared his allegiance to NZ like his brother but if he does I reckon you'll see them together in the team sometime in the future

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

ili posted:

Jayden's declared for Qld and Australia, played in the junior Kangaroos last year IIRC.

Cool that we can have the Tariq brothers playing for different states and the Nikorima brothers playing for different nations

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

Man did the Rhinos ever get slapped hard (literally and figuratively) by the Cowboys.

I like to think that, if Leeds had their entire Grand Final side injury-free to start the game and NQL were missing almost half their Grand Final side, the Rhinos would have won. But the disparity in playing ability between SL and NRL this year was massive.

It's always been a bit of a disparity, WCC results are fairly even historically but usually our clubs don't send over their entire A-grade teams and aren't used to English conditions. The structured and set play that NRL teams have used and refined for years is also at an advantage of the more natural style popular in SL. It's nothing to do with the athleticism or ability of English players obviously, with stars like the Burgeoi, Widdop, Hodgson or Graham being some of the best in their respective positions in the NRL, NRL is just played at a higher level of intensity.

I remember my grandfather talking about when they first started airing NSWRL games in Queensland and people were ringing up and complaining that the games were being shown in fast-forward because they just played at another level of pace to the Queensland competition of the time.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

You should be sad Burn Down Canberra because apparently the Broncs just signed Tevita Pangai Jr from the Raiders and the dude is an absolute weapon

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Sounds like a hugely toxic relationship and they're both pretty scum tbh, zero tolerance for SKD though and the Roosters should sack him (they won't)

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Glad I wasn't the articled clerk who had to sift through 40,000 texts between those two morons

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Can't wait for the team lists to come out and gently caress over my entire fantasy team. Apparently Barba is actually going to start at fullback for the Sharks with Bird at centre and Holmes at wing, he also apparently has trained really well in the off season/is actually keen to play footy again/is confident/hasn't hosed any of his teammates partners

Also keen to find out whether Opacic or Eden replaces Maranta on Thursday, but I'm pretty sure it'll be Eden

E: Ayshford named over Hurrell, Warriors already starting the season hosed

Thinking fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 1, 2016

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

On the bright side, McFadden might only have a job for a half dozen weeks

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Unblock-us works fine for me, it's a DNS proxy so you don't even have to reroute traffic through a VPN. $10 a month I think? Only $5. I have the yearly subscription. Set it to Sweden or Germany and then watch on http://livestream.com/nrl at 720, which is miles better than the terrible 360p streams you can find around.

e: the games are also uploaded on livestream so you can watch them whenever

Thinking fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 1, 2016

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Jono C posted:

Ben Henry starting over Bodene Thompson is more interesting to me. Thompson was great last year. Henry is on his last chance, he was a superstar U20s player, but injuries have been a big problem and he has never consistently proven himself in first grade.

As far as I've heard Bodene is probably actually more likely to start than Benry despite the team list, depending on injury concerns. Which would be a shame for the 50% of fantasy players who own Benry

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Mine is "a bad team" because my team is bad

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Livestream stopped working for me with unblock-us, I had to use a proper VPN. Gem is also well hosed here for some reason, all 4:3 and greasy and flickering

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Well Eden had a shocker last night, wouldn't be surprised if Bennett just rubbed him out of the team after that showing. With Kahu out for potentially 4 weeks we're looking at 2nd and 3rd string backs, maybe Carlin Anderson at wing and Opacic at centre? Or Eden gets another chance, probably

Bit sad when you're eager for Lachlan Maranta and Jack Reed to get back into games

E: Opacic is the 2nd string centre

Thinking fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

This is the DCE I know and love from origin

• Locked thread