Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Pearce is only 26? He looks older, but then cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Iajanus, maybe I'll do a Super League write up today--having been to exactly one game I feel qualified now to comment extensively on all the teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Thanks, Iajanus, for updating the OP! I notice I forgot to put the [img] tags on the Leeds photos - any chance you can fix that?

Also, I meant for "WIGAN!" to read ":argh:WIGAN!:argh:"

But seriously, thanks. Bummed I have to be at a wedding during SL opening weekend and can't watch any of the games until a few days later :(

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

bowmore posted:

i'll pick once all the teams have finished signing players, apparently easts might be getting Sonny Bill back

What?? Who told you that?? He's doing fine in sevens from what I can tell.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Not just back, but the captain!

:suicide:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Magpies are way cooler anyway.

Can someone explain to me the deal with leagues clubs, by the way?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
And USA Hawks! :downs:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So exciting. Need to catch the replay later!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I wonder if I could get a job as US commentator for rugby league matches broadcast in the US. Since they're all on delay anyway, they could send me the streams and I could add commentary in time for whenever they show them on ESPN9 or whatever.

They probably wouldn't approve of the level of profanity I use, though.

edit:

ili posted:

Caught my first super league game on fox tonight, the Wigan vs Catalans game. I really enjoyed it but have to ask, do they usually play in that much mud? It was like a game at Brookvale but without the broken glass and dog poo poo. Also your steveo and eddie make the channel 9 clowns seem like towering intellects.

Remember that many of those stadiums are also used for soccer, so they keep the grass shorter and it's less sturdy as a result. But yes, mostly it's just England weather. We have that poo poo in the US too.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 9, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
In the modern age, we have forgotten how to think or feel about things and rely on strangers on the internet to do our thinking and feeling for us.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Here, watch a reaction video for some guidance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7oKSFoIrBQ

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Dalai Trauma posted:

Maybe old news to those of you in Australia but I just got this as an update on my phone so went to look:

"John Hopoate is set to be stood down as coach of Manly's under-18s team after a senior police officer reached out to the club to convince the Sea Eagles that the former Test winger was unfit to mentor teenagers."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-top-cop-tells-manly-to-ban-john-hopoate-from-coaching-children-20160219-gmyst8.html

He's no dog botherer so does this even register as Rugby League news?

E: Re-reading the quote I posted, it sounds pretty sinister. This is due to links to organised crime figures apparently.

I wouldn't want John Hopoate anywhere NEAR my kids. Lucky for me I live on the other side of the planet! And also have no kids.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
My amateur rugby (union) team has a hard time getting a full side of players on game day, but we all have day jobs and aren't all that good at our sport anyway.

I cannot imagine the stress that must be involved in working or playing for a professional sports team, even in a good year.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Man did the Rhinos ever get slapped hard (literally and figuratively) by the Cowboys.

I like to think that, if Leeds had their entire Grand Final side injury-free to start the game and NQL were missing almost half their Grand Final side, the Rhinos would have won. But the disparity in playing ability between SL and NRL this year was massive.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Well the Cowboys definitely sent their A-side. Still, the first forty were telling--and encouraging for me as a Leeds supporter.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Super League often seems faster to me, but not as structured as NRL. Case in point, Leeds' offloading style of play that often doesn't really get anywhere but takes a lot of effort and energy to work.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
BREAKING NEWS

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/bears-set-for-shock-nrl-return/

:byobear:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I'm just glad there's already an SA Forums smily ready for it!

:byobear:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
They met at a bar in Bali...sheesh could he be any more of a bogan. Well, he could be Australian, but still.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It is entirely possible that they are both awful, yes.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
WOW the Roosters shat the bed on that. However, they always lose badly to Souths in the opening round, and meanwhile Souths got two big injuries out of it for their trouble.

But seriously they really looked poo poo, and to be honest, basically everyone did this weekend.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I did only watch the first 45 minutes of Tigers-Warriors, before I passed out on my couch

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I need a good game to watch on delay with some pies and beer, can anyone recommend one that will be entertaining if I get drunk by the 20 minute mark?

Also since this is America I have to bake my own pies. Y'all don't know how easy you have it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Already watched that one

Also Leeds are making me cry these days.

Broncos Cowboys it is

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah I need to get together again with my Aussie buddy who supports Wests, it's been too long

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

In other situations where a second ball is on the field we stop play and get rid of it (at scrums, taps, and in general play if it interferes with play). Really should have happened here too.

And lol if you want to claim he didn't intentionally kick it at the catcher, that's a good one.

I would have picked it up and gone for the drop goal, for sheer comedy value. Definitely would have made it through the sticks from that position, too.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I know the interlocking fingers thing that some Wigan guys (and Owen Farrell of Saracens and England RU) like to do after scoring is supposed to be a "JJ" for this charity: http://www.joiningjack.org/

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey the Leeds Rhinos, still firmly in last place, beat the league leaders Hull the other day. I caught the game on replay and I must say I had forgotten what it was like to watch a RL game without wanting to drink myself to oblivion afterward.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
E: penalty, second effort

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

You have an interesting definition of "in the way". He's on the opposite side of the defender to the ball - the only way he's in his way is if O'Neil was going to get to the ball by going in the opposite direction to it.

Yeah but you can clearly see that O'Neil is running to get himself in the way between Jennings and the ball. Jennings was offsides, so if he'd been the one to reach the ball and touch it down, rather than Fifita, it would have been a no try. O'Neil couldn't see that Jennings was offsides (pretty sure Jennings thought he was onsides too, to be generous) or else he would have gone towards the ball. He was denied the chance to cover Fifita and/or the ball because he had to cover a player who, on review, was definitely offsides AND who was clearly running to ground the ball. Jennings probably would have gotten the try if O'Neil hadn't blocked him, and then it would have been a no try, but because O'Neil played good defense, an illegal try was scored.

OTOH it looked like the ref could have made a case for a penalty try on Cronk's sin-binning.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

cpaf posted:

Yeah nah, he was ten metres from the try line. It's a definite professional foul and a bin but no way it's a penalty try.

Blame it on the wonky camera angles then.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Wow the Roosters are having just the shittiest year. On the flipside the SL club I like, the Rhinos, are ALSO having the shittiest year - though they seem to be turning it around at the rear end-end of the season at least.

Don't care, it's still fun to watch. But gently caress Melbourne and gently caress Wigan.

fake edit - man I feel bad for my mate who supports Wests; hope the drama doesn't distract him next time he performs surgery

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah he's from Bondi and lives in the States now but inexplicably has attached himself for life to that trainwreck of a football club.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey so my wife, an internationally-known expert in Balinese music, wants me to come to Bali next summer (i.e. next winter for you Australians) with her while she does more fieldwork and I am seriously interested in flying to AUS for a weekend to see a few NRL games and get shitfaced with some Ausgoons.

Obviously this would be in the Sydney area as I could see the most football there, and also because I like Easts since I am a colossal shitlord.

So in the interests of planning a year in advance--and well ahead of the 2017 NEL draw--anyone want to help organize a NRL goon meet and/or provide crash space to the proverbial black swan of an American rugby league fan? (ps I know in Australia y'all have actual black swans it's just a figure of speech)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
She went with me to a Leeds Rhinos game last summer, she's super cool about my sportsballs.

But yeah an Origin game at Suncorp would be pretty awesome too. I guess we'll have to see what the season schedule is and how it fits with her research trip.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Good on him for really making a go of it in the NFL, though. At first I thought it was odd he had such a hard time catching punts, but at the end of the day I think it was just a case of the pigskin being subtly different from a Steeden and messing with his footballing instincts. Too different to translate directly, too similar to make a clean break. But it wasn't for lack of effort, in my opinion anyway--though I do wish he hadn't insulted American coffee.

Isn't Hayne going back to the Eels anyway?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

But American coffee is terrible :shrug:?

No it's not, and definitely not in San Francisco.

I mean you'll get poo poo coffee at a loving Flying J Travel Center but actual coffeehouses have good stuff.

Also I forgot to clean my coffee maker last night and it overflowed all over the counter, which I had to clean up this morning all hung over because I got drunk and watched politics and got more drunk.

edit: can some Russian hackers leak NRL club e-mails maybe? would be more fun than the Dems shitshow

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Y'all are also much closer to Indonesia than we in the USA are, that helps. Last time my wife was in Bali she brought back this amazing Indo coffee where they feed the fruits to ferrets who eat the fruit and then poop out the bean. Sooooo good.

Also wasn't DeLonghi the sponsor of the Rabbitohs a few years ago?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah no kidding. I just learned that Victoria Bitter isn't actually a bitter, much like how no other nation recognizes the sovereignty of Budweiser, the King of Beers.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah but ultimately what would Hayne bring to the Wallabies? And more generally, what would he do in Union? Sevens makes a little more sense as it would have offered a shot at the Olympics, but I can't see him getting paid better in Union in Australia and I haven't heard of any million-Euro offers from, like, Toulon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

cpaf posted:

That is an understatement

:drat:

That's a hell of a lateral move, career-wise.

• Locked thread