Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

We welcome all to weep openly at the terrible life decisions we've made to follow particular teams.

In essence this thread is the support group that stops me from jumping off a cliff 26 weeks a year.

Don't do it mate, it's not too late to turn things around and get your life back on track. Call 1300 462 766 if you need to talk to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

There's an alleged screenshot of a text message convo between some of the people proximate to Pearce's pants pissing and pretend puppy penetration party getting round on twitter. Claims Junior Junior and maybe others with him were shouting people lines. If he fails a urine test that'll be his career done for sure.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Abalone Malone posted:

also blues to win 3-0, after QLD succumb to the brilliance of a Luke Lewis and Greg Bird Blues halves partnership

Whatever you're on, I want some. It must be some pretty good gear.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The Tigers are obviously not content to let Mitchell Pearce and Paramatta win the NRL Fuckup 2016 awards without a fight. Looks like the Balmain half may finally be done.

quote:

A desperate Balmain Tigers are seeking a year-long extension to repay $5 million in debt to the NRL in a last-ditch bid to save the foundation club.

Tigers chairman Leslie Glen met with the NRL's head of club services, Tony Crawford, on Tuesday to raise the proposal as the days count down to their repayment deadline of March 31.

If the financially stricken club cannot meet that obligation they will be forced to sell their 50 per cent shareholding in Wests Tigers in the following six months, ending an association of 108 years with top-level rugby league.

ili fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 3, 2016

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

Let's not tar Wests with the fuckup brush of Balmain. A club that's in financial turmoil specifically because they're too stupid and greedy to have their leagues club operational.

Fair enough, I was just too lazy to write The Wests Tigers combined mishmash of two rugby league football clubs instead of Wests. If/when Balmain goes titsup do the Wests half have the funds to buy Balmain's share of the club? And if so does that mean they can go back to being the Magpies?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The Warriors really should win this.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Wow the wheels came off pretty fast there.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Caught my first super league game on fox tonight, the Wigan vs Catalans game. I really enjoyed it but have to ask, do they usually play in that much mud? It was like a game at Brookvale but without the broken glass and dog poo poo. Also your steveo and eddie make the channel 9 clowns seem like towering intellects.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Wait, people watch video of other people watching and reacting to video? Thank gently caress I don't keep up to date with internet things anymore.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Ricky does love paying overs though.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I thought he was taking legal action because the Knights allegedly won't let him train with the rest of their alleged first-grade squad to punish him for signing with Canberra.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jeez Jordan Kahu looks the goods at left centre. Hope he gets the spot permanently when Reed retires.

Also feel sorry for the Wigan hooker, laughing gas and a stretcher isn't usually a good sign.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

cpaf posted:

Not sure if Jayden has declared his allegiance to NZ like his brother but if he does I reckon you'll see them together in the team sometime in the future

Jayden's declared for Qld and Australia, played in the junior Kangaroos last year IIRC.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Welp, that's the Gold Coast going under then. One of the many, many reasons they flopped is because they associated themselves with NSW far too much in everyone's minds. Being bought out by the North Sydney Bears and moving games to NSW isn't going to help. But on the other hand it's not like things could get any worse for the Titans anyway.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

I blame Greg Bird.

Greg blames his flatmate.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

cpaf posted:

Sounds like a hugely toxic relationship and they're both pretty scum tbh, zero tolerance for SKD though and the Roosters should sack him (they won't)

I dunno about that, if he's found guilty there's a very good chance he'll be sacked. Plus the NRL would likely deregister him as a player.

Mitchy poo might be up poo poo's creek too if Hastings and Niko the Younger put on a decent show.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Knights announce three captains - NRL.com

quote:

The Newcastle Knights have announced three joint captains for the 2016 season, with new signing Trent Hodkinson joining Jeremy Smith and Tariq Sims as the club's new leaders.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I'm not sure why they need a circus week.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Who's commentating on fox? I'm slumming it on nine hd at the moment, but I'd swap to my spotty fox sd stream if Vossy is calling the game.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

And Beau Scott with another cheap shot. Stupid loving old bald sack of poo poo.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

cpaf posted:

Manly look like a different team with Parcell out there, Korisau just looks disinterested

Boy howdy I wish we could've kept Parcell. I reckon he'll be the next long term QLD hooker, possibly the Australian hooker as well.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

It's pretty funny to watch if you're sitting with a titans fan. The running commentary is brilliant.

When a Tigers fan and a Titans fan get together, which one pities the other?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

Pretty uncoordinated start to the game.

Forgot to mention and I'm not sure if everyone knows yet, but anyone with a Telstra mobile gets a free NRL (or AFL) digital pass so they can watch all games live on their phones or similar devices. Just call #820# from your phone and it'll SMS you links that you can use to activate your pass (note that you can only activate one of them so choose wisely). Tested and it works well :)

Once you've done the activation just log into the app and you're set.

I'm not with the evil empire so if anyone has a spare free pass I'd be really grateful.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

Yeah I can't see anything less than a cricket score in that one.

I dunno, the Warriors will be stinging from their last game and wanting to make amends. And if their forwards can bully our smaller pack Luke Johnson and Sheck can really take advantage of it, Sheck in particular I think carved us up last year.

So hopefully they want Cappy gone and play like poo poo.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The Knights' jersey looks loving terrible, although that means it matches the team.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

cpaf posted:

Matulino got off scott free for his shoulder charge on Oates and Klemmer got off for touching the ref. Meanwhile Oates is out for 4 weeks because he was injured by a shoulder charge from Matulino.

Bit of a joke tbh

The touching the ref is all over the shop: Roberts got 94 points, Klemmer got off his more serious charge with all sorts of priors and a lengthy history of being a massive oval office, Moses got a written warning and Merrin (I think) got nothing at all. I wonder if Moses can demand that the NRL take back their written warning to him on the grounds that Klemmer got off for something far worse. I guess we should have also challenged the charge on Roberts as soon as it was announced Klemmer would challenge his, that way at least the judiciary would have had to out and out ban a Bronco for a game for doing half of what a Bulldog got away with.

Also lol, Matulino put on a textbook shoulder charge. His arm was tucked in at the time of contact and that's not even the excuse he used. Apparently he was bracing for contact and had no choice but to tuck his arm and put the point of his shoulder right into Oates who wasn't running directly at him and was only being tackled by two other players.

ili fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 17, 2016

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

It's nonsensical to be facing 4 weeks for that tackle, so I support any decision that avoids that outcome.

He wasn't facing four weeks for that tackle though, a grade 1 shoulder charge carries 200 points (2 weeks) which would have come down to 150 with an early guilty plea. He was looking at the extra time because of carryover points and loading for prior similar offences. A cleanskin making the exact same tackle on Oates would have received a week + carryover.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

What's the deal with the grass at Shark Park? It looks absolutely awful.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I didn't watch the Dogs-Raiders game too closely, what was Klemmer's punch like? I notice he didn't even get cited for it.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

Parramatta stripped of another clear try. Press conference should be fun.

It won't be the only time they lose 4 points this year.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jasob Taylor sacked lmao. I wonder which poor motherfucker will end up as Robbie's next condom?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

Is he actually sacked yet? Please give me a confirmation, I could use some joy.

Not official but from a credible source who's almost always on the money. Anyway it was pretty obvious he was sacked the moment Robbie stayed at Wests, the only real question was how many weeks they'd go before security frogmarched Taylor from the building.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Become a broncos fan, every other team hates your loving guts and calls you a cheat, but you still win all the time so you get to be smug as hell.

Plus you get to suppprt the best team in the best city with the best coach and the best stadium. And your membership comes with a TPA voucher and the "How to rig the NRL draw" booklet.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Havent won a premiership in over ten years even with all those advantages. Holy moly the broncos have failed

Pfft, try again scrub. By my count it's only 9 years, 6 months and 23 days.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Are we doing any title changes yet? I think "Rugby League 2016 - Ben has been horrible and disrespectful to our players" has a certain ring to it.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

NRL to introduce off field cap

quote:

The NRL will introduce a limit on football club spending next year in the biggest club equalisation measure since the establishment of a salary cap.
The clubs stand to earn an additional $100 million from 2018 to 2022, with additional grants totalling 130 per cent of player payments over that period.Head office is keen to ensure its franchises don't squander those funds, while also seeking to create an even playing field by controlling off-field expenditure. To that end, for the first time there will be a ceiling on the amount of money spent on football departments from 2017.The cap will likely apply to the dollars spent on the head coach and his staff, sports science, high-performance units, study trips and other means of achieving an off-field edge. There is a discrepancy of about $10 million between what the richest and poorest clubs spend off the field, with the new cap to bridge the gap.
"The parties will form a working group consisting of both ARLC and NRL club representatives with the express mandate to research and develop a football department cap system by no later than 31 October 2016," the agreement states.
"The terms of reference of this [six-person] working group will include development of the protocols for calculating football department expenses, cap limits and rules, reporting of information, compliance monitoring processes and penalties for non-compliance. An agreed process for capping football department expenses will be incorporated in the New Club Licence."
The AFL introduced an "equalisation tax" two years ago after confirming there is a correlation between football department spending and success on the field. Exactly how it is applied in the NRL remains to be determined, with rigorous debate sure to ensue before a figure is settled upon.
Brisbane and Melbourne are among the biggest-spending clubs off the field, paying head coaches Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy seven-figure sums. Wests Tigers, Gold Coast and Newcastle - the clubs that have gone cap-in-hand to the NRL for financial assistance - spend just a fraction of the amount on staff and facilities.

I can't see this being a good idea.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Apparently the Eels are shopping Peats around. Poor bastard, hope he doesn't end up somewhere like Newcastle or Souths. Maybe the Tigers can buy him to complement Cherrington, Halatau, Farah and Ballin.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Now that I've had some hours to stew that disaster over it's pretty clear that despite having a better side we are the same old failures we were under Furner.

Every spine player feels they have to go for a miracle play because they don't play as a team. The defence is poor down the middle, attack in the opposition 20 is predictable. These are the problems that existed when Stuart got here and nothing has changed. Except he can sign decent players to rot in the Canberra funk. We are the browns of the nrl

Chin up. Now you've got a decent squad together all you need is a good coach and everything will fall into place.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

With the most prolific posters being Tigers, Warriors, Raiders & Knights fans this is a loving depressing thread.

All the more reason why you lot should support the mighty Broncos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

Jarryd Hayne has given up on his lifelong dream of making it in the NFL to pursue his lifelong dream of winning a gold medal with the Fiji rugby sevens team at the Rio Olympics.

Meanwhile someone in Bondi is getting some brown paper bags ready...

How's he eligible to play for fiji? Aren't olympic eligibility rules tied to citizenship?

• Locked thread