Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I've got a good feeling about this year lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

If the raiders can snag a decent prop before the season starts im gonna have my expectations skyhigh so when we suck i will meltdown and die

If we go in as is scraping into the 8 is probably job done.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The tiger brand is so much better than the magpies its laughable to think the nrl would allow them to ditch the brand

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I doubt hes on that. Just spin from the knights to calm down the fans. Still a good exciting signing. We are still a prop short though.,

Clubs always say players leave for overs and stay for unders.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

ili posted:

Ricky does love paying overs though.

He does and Canberra in general needs to.

However, when a club releases information on how much a player left for its probably on the exaggerated side.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Still short a prop

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I still think we are targeting Paulo for next season

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Neither am I tbh.

For all Stuarts issues he has been very good at retaining and bringing players in. I still think he would make a hell of a director of football operations for the club if he still stinks as a coach

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I HATE the current NRL player market system. Tapine is taking legal action against the Knights to get out of his contract. I mean really. Surely a transfer window or something is less messy than this terrible free for all.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

ili posted:

I thought he was taking legal action because the Knights allegedly won't let him train with the rest of their alleged first-grade squad to punish him for signing with Canberra.

Its a little bit of everything. i think his camp got pissed off that the Knights tried to shop him to the Roosters this year for reasons ??

The training issue is a big part of it though.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...219-gmz0pa.html

Joseph Tapine has begun legal action against Newcastle, with the ugly stoush set to be resolved in the courtroom if he isn't granted an early release to join Canberra.

"Sadly and reluctantly, we have been forced to take legal action," manager Jim Banaghan said. "It's very unfortunate because the kid loves the club but you can't be shown the door and forced to train alone in a team sport.

"Newcastle have dug a hole that big for themselves that Nathan Tinkler would have got himself a mining license for it."

---------------

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Robbie Farah was going to sue over being shunted off to reserve grade. Tapine isnt Farah but the knights literally said if he signs elsewhere he will play reserve grade no matter what.

We held up milford for a year but we played him in first grade and didnt banish him from training lol. The knights are handling this very poorly. If they had been sensible it might have given the raiders incentive to buy out his contract. Now they have a disgruntled player in the top 25 who is bringing legal action against the club. So the raiders can play hardball.

Enough injuries and the NRL will literally force them to play Tapine regardless of the result of any legal action. We are being cry baby bitches is not a reason to break the second tier salary cap. We probably wont play TPJ this year as he is signing with the broncos. The raiders werent dumb enough to say this publicly or banish him to train alone. So if we do need to play him through injury he wont be incredibly disgruntled

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Josh Hodgson was amazing in the trial. The first graders just smashed the knights to pieces. Sezers kicking game was a huge step up.

Is this....hope i feel.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Last time i was positive about the raiders i ended up with a new username by the end of the season lol.

The raiders depend heavily on josh Hodgson. If he stays on the field and has a good run with injury the Raiders might be alright

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

bowmore posted:

come down to a converted try in the end, ricky won't be happy they slacked off

The second half was mounties players. I think a few of them could have done better to make a claim for first grade mind.

Still things i liked

Hodgson
BJ looks fit
Sezer has a more deft kicking game than williams and hopefully it will be the end of 7 tackle sets killing the raiders.
The pack looks good but depth is a worry. Vaughan and Boyd need to have big years. I liked the look of Sia at lock.
Attack was good, defence still has a giant question mark.

And it wasnt the bulgarelli game although that kills me. Stupid elliot not playing graham. I think i changed my username to bdc after the tigers beat the raiders and bronson harrison just STUNK the place up. It was 2011.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

cpaf posted:

Did Elliott Whitehead play? He's another Canberra SL import with big raps on him

Yes he looked good too.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Double post lol

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Looks like the Raiders will just buy out Tapines contract. So 80k to start him a year early here. I think that is a pretty good win by the Raiders tbh.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Josh Hodgson re-signed with the raiders for another 2 years. The raiders spine is locked in to 2018 yay

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

cpaf posted:

You should be sad Burn Down Canberra because apparently the Broncs just signed Tevita Pangai Jr from the Raiders and the dude is an absolute weapon

Thats why we signed tapine. It was pretty much a done thing a few months ago. Cant win them all.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Team lists are out today. Can't believe the season is about to start.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Hunt struggled with his kicking

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I know foxtels commentary is obviously better but nine was something else tonight. Well worth the annoyance. The tackle count not displaying and Yvonne Sampson doing a mic check over an Andrew Johns interview were probably the peak moments.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It's too hot to really make any calls on this game but both the Panthers and raiders look suspect in defence.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

iajanus posted:

That's putting it mildly. It certainly looks like most of the teams haven't been too focused on defence in the off season. I'm sure the Tigers will buck that trend, though.

Penrith missed about 16 tackles on that last try.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I reckon we can win a shoot out but if the defence completely collapses we are hosed.

Tied at HT is really poor

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

iajanus posted:

Yeah, that last two minutes doesn't bode well for their ability to defend a lead under pressure.

It's just the heat, its just the heat, its just the heat

*repeat to myself until I believe it*

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

What kind of lunatic organisation schedules an nrl game 3pm in march.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Cool mcl tear that's fine.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Segs broke his arm. Did a witch curse Penrith.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

DWZ grabbed papalli on the balls lol. What a game rugby league is.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I'll take it tbh. The worst possible conditions for the raiders. Good to start with a win.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The raiders will probably be without sezer and austin next week. Rugby league....it sucks

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Id be locked in an insane asylum if i supported the warriors. At least the raiders suck because they are garbage. The most angry ive ever posted was in years where i had high expectations. Id be out the front of warriors hq with a big sign saying McFadden out if i were a kiwi

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...02dabff8b1f00f6

THE Canberra Raiders strong start to the new season has been dealt a double blow with halves Aidan Sezer and Blake Austin both ruled out for at least the next five weeks.

:shepicide:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The papers are saying the raiders have signed paulo for next year. Stuart must either be cheating the cap or has unlocked third party deals for canberra

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

In theory the nrl doesnt want to stand in the way of players seeking out independent sponsorship work. The salary cap shouldnt stop thurston being able to advertise hats for example if hatworld offered him a deal independently of the NQC.

However, in practice well connected clubs organise tpas to get around the salary cap. This is not supposed to be done but if a club is run well and not run like the eels its very hard to prove this is going on.

I want to see some transparency. Phil gould claimed that 5 clubs have ~70 percent of tpa registered with the nrl. I dont necessarily want to take gould at his word but that would suggest a lopsided system because tpa are just extra salary cap now.

Clubs like canberra and newcastle are punished because of geographical circumstances. The knights have issues but the raiders are a fairly wealthy club. We would probably do better in a free for all. That said it appears that Stuart has more tpa connections than the club has had in the past.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Why did sterlo think a man picking the ball up in an offside position on purpose was an accidental offside lol

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I expect more of sterlo. He had to get corrected by rabs. Thats rock bottom

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Poor penrith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That kick by robson was....no good

• Locked thread