Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

thanks dude, that's super helpful for this race especially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I think I'm down for some Daytona 24. Gotta figure out a way to watch on my tablet...

there's a fox sports go app isn't there?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

is there a breakdown anywhere driver stints for each car?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

hey guys

why in the world is toyota's le mans entry called "gazoo racing"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

so they literally just picked the word "gazoo" because they thought it was fun?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Goetta posted:

$40 gets you a good quality stream from WEC for the entire year

thanks for the heads up on this

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

bruises for tveter, broken heel bones and fractured vertabrae for li. only the former will require surgery. ultimately a pretty lucky outcome.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Helicon One posted:

CotA is a garbage track and IMS is one of the less bad rovals.

science has not yet discovered a number that can illustrate how much better CotA is than the loving IMS poo poo rear end road course

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Helicon One posted:

minus infinity?

Seriously though CotA is one of those dumb 'lets join a load of corners from other tracks end to end' magazine articles made flesh and is Exhibit B* in the case for why Hermann Tilke should have his hands smashed with a hammer.

*Exhibit A is Fuji

this opinion is honestly worse than racism

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the IMS road course is one of the worst race tracks in the entire world. it is irredeemably boring.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Hermann Tilke literally has a 3D drafting program full of Famous Corners that he just reaches into like a grab bag and sticks in his Tilkedromes like a 12 year old with the Forza track editor.

He is a bad track designer and good road tracks use the landscape they are built on for their defining features.

yeah, and it's still better than the IMS road course, which is an atrocious race track

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

is the engine in his lap? ffs

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

the European GP at Baku is set to be the same weekend as Le Mans. that's like 9 days away and I'm not sure that GP will actually happen.

at least we know Le Mans will!

if FOM had to be dicks and schedule a race on the same day as le mans, i'm really glad they picked the one no one cares about

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

Heres the US schedule

8:30-2:00 Fox Sports 1
2:00-4:30 Fox Sports 2
4:30-6:00 online only
6:00-6:30 Fox Sports 2
6:30-7:00 online only
7:00-7:30 Fox Sports 2
7:30-10:30 online only
10:30-2:30 Fox Sports 2
2:30-9:30 Fox Sports 1

For you non-Americans, almost no one actually gets Fox Sports 2 (I dont think my cable company even offers it) so if you want to watch the race on TV in this country you effetively can only watch the first 5 hours and the final 7 and a half hours (and its been this way for years).

even my grandma gets FS2

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cubey posted:

As much as I am beyond gutted at the result, this race is why endurance racing is the best form of racing in the world

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ban ferrari

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kill me now posted:

Has it come out what exactly failed on that car? Was it electrical, the engine, the hybrid system?

i assumed it was the transmission at first because it seemed like he couldn't get out of 4th

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

F1 is NASCAR with a thin veneer of European civilization

please turn in a 30 page paper on this thesis by friday

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

There is no reason to run a race on the same day as LeMans and the Indy 500, but Bernie does it anyway.

monaco does not compete with indy's time slot and i think most people agree that the trifecta of monaco/indy/charlotte makes for a fantastic day of racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Riso posted:

People who hate ovals disagree.

a person who hates ovals but enjoys a parade through the paradise of the megarich is not a person you want to listen to

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

Please tell me this is an actual thing that's happening

it is, they're running it at the glen: http://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news/mazda-to-honor-25th-anniversary-of-le-mans-win-at-watkins-glen-793027/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I was really gonna bite my tongue but I've been saying for years that's a solution both F1 and Indycar should be looking at. Both could go whatever way they want with it, but 5.0L V8's seem to be the perfect engines for open wheel cars. I like the turbos as much as anyone, but poo poo, that sound.

If F1 wants to run some exotic quad cam and Indy goes production based to appeal to our market, all the better.

well the problem is that you will get zero auto manufacturers to have anything to do with that engine formula. so it's really a question of how much you like money. and top-level racing teams like money a lot.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

You're right, BMW, Audi, Ferrari, Mercedes, Chevrolet, and Ford have no V8 road cars anymore.

you're right, that's definitely the point

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

every time I think maybe you can partake in an intelligent conversation you just fart in my mouth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

lol @ no proof whatsoever

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

how many major racing series have developed new engine specs in the several years? how many have done so with direct and significant manufacturer involvement? how many have introduced engines similar to what you're describing?

people don't present "proof" because it's patently obvious to anyone who spends a modicum of time following racing, which you would expect of someone who posts in 18 different racing threads. i also don't explain what cars are before every post. that knowledge is implied. you do this poo poo to yourself, viking.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

e: nah this is pointless

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

But when you're making what I assume is a spec series no-one really gives a poo poo about what the manufacturers want so long as you can find one that'll make you an engine.

which is fine for F5000, but absolutely not an option for indycar and F1, unless they've just given up on being relevant

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it doesn't matter that they can find a way to make it happen. no one said they couldn't. the problem is that it ends any manufacturer interest in investing in the sport, and non-auto sponsors would likely reconsider being involved in something so rear end backwards and dated. nobody is going to spend their marketing budget on that sport, you get nothing out of it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

just don't reply to me, viking, no one wants the poo poo you're starting.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

all of these manufacturers make minivans, too. should indycar race minivans? the existence of V8s in road cars is not what anyone is talking about. you know that, and yet you persist.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

besides - we've gone over this. manufacturers were given basically a blank slate by the FIA and indycar to design engines. no one wanted a V8. you are wrong, sorry, i hope we can never have this idiot conversation ever again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"5.0L V8's seem to be the perfect engines for open wheel cars"

what does the SC stand for in nascar? Sopen Cwheel?

again - you are literally wrong, dude. open wheel series and manufacturers don't want V8s. move on with your life

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

NASCAR is hardly the peak of road relevant racing, weren't they still using carbs like five years ago?

but it's part of the list viking has in his head of "things that use V8s" so he's forced to mention it because he's too much of a baby just to concede the drat point.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ LET IT GO

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

also the WRC coverage used to be good, but now seems to be bad. at least the coverage i have access to.

what coverage?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

someone tell this moron http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/why-im-so-tired-of-the-annual-rumor-that-audi-is-quitti-1787821470

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

VW is rumored to be pulling out of the WRC. Joke series.

really says a lot that they have dominated the title in each of their four years and gotten, presumably, little to no appreciable return on that investment

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

rallycross is never as good as you expect it to be. i'd rather watch rallying, assuming it's actually good, which WRC isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

Pretty certain if you banned AWD, each and every last one of remaining WRC fans would outright boycott any event and sponsor that participates in them out of sheer disgust.

and i'm sure WRC would mourn the loss of those eight fans

• Locked thread